2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
47 members (Bruce Sato, APianistHasNoName, BillS728, bcalvanese, anotherscott, AlkansBookcase, Carey, CharlesXX, 9 invisible), 1,953 guests, and 305 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
M
OP Offline
M
Finally, I can play it without the sheet music!!!

Need to do it a few more times to be really confident, but I am quite pleased with myself this evening. smile

Nice playing the new piano without the music desk as well.

E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
When are we going to get to hear it Michael D?

Surprisingly easy, barely an inconvenience.

Kawai K8 & Kawai Novus NV10

13x[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
congratulations Michael that's quite an accomplishment. Will you also attempt the other two movements? I hear the third is a real bear to play. yippie

Ragdoll

At first, she only flew when she thought no one was watching.

[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Well done, congrats!

May I ask what tempo do you normally use? I have tried the fast Gould's playing and also medium and slow. I think I go for medium, but I notice that the same performer will change the tempo on different occasions. Mood related?

Not trying to start a "fight" about tempo, just curious because it's such a popular piece that is played in so many different speeds.

Fast - G Gould
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vr8j8O9uzx4

Medium
W Kempff
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6txOvK-mAk&list=RDr6YCSeeMN4I

V Horowitz
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6YCSeeMN4I

V Lisitsa
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHd8jwXBzXE

Slow - P Nagy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-MT5zeY6CU

Serious since Dec 2013. March 2014, Kawai CA95!

Time you enjoy wasting was not wasted

[Linked Image]
A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A
András Schiff has pretty convincing arguments for a faster tempo being correct in his Guardian lecture on the Sonata. It's definitely worth listening to.

Unfortunately, because of some boneheaded comments he makes in other lectures, I have to take his statements with a massive grain of salt. But this did seem like a pretty good argument to me:

Andras Schiff Beethoven Lectures (Guardian)

I may change my mind later but I'm still determined not to tackle this Sonata until I am ready for the third movement (Presto agitato.)

• Debussy - Le Petit Nègre, L. 114
  • Haydn - Sonata in Gm, Hob. XVI/44

Kawai K3
[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Thanks for the link. Well, if Beethoven himself wrote it, that's it.

You really have a strong mind and self control! I couldn't wait as I still cannot see myself ever playing the 3rd movement. Actually the 1st movement was the first thing I learned to play (terribly, btw). I'm only now getting to put the right accents and making it sound right... or trying...

Serious since Dec 2013. March 2014, Kawai CA95!

Time you enjoy wasting was not wasted

[Linked Image]
M
OP Offline
M
earlofmar, you can hear it here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4b-PHPuwiM smile (Brendel's is my favorite recording).

I'll tackle the second movement after a few other pieces I'm working on. I think it's very easy to underestimate its difficulty. The third I think will sit on the shelf for a while, perhaps a long while, but I do want to try it someday.

I've listened to Gould's piece, it's too fast for my tastes, but it was useful to hear it sound so different while learning it. I probably play at a similar tempo to Brendel. Nagy's performance linked above is nice, but it does feel a bit slow. To me, this is supposed to be a sad piece, a feeling of unrequited longing throughout, which too fast a tempo ruins.

Before I'd take the plunge and post a video, I want to tighten up the tempo to make sure I'm a bit more consistent throughout. My piano teacher has bamboozled me into thinking it's a good idea to play this at a recital she's holding this summer. smile

T
T
Wow that is awesome! I know the feeling of accomplishment that comes with that piece. Well done!

G

Platinum Supporter until July 22 2014
2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
G
Just a thought, Michael.
Would you consider presenting in the May quarterly recital?

I have 2nd movement earmarked for this recital. Perhaps we could correspond to ensure matched together. Maybe wear same shirts smile .

At any rate, nice work. Look forward to hearing.

E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by Michael D
My piano teacher has bamboozled me into thinking it's a good idea to play this at a recital she's holding this summer. smile

Good luck with the recital, though Summer must seem a long way off at the moment.

I have been learning this piece somewhat in secret. My piano teacher expressed she didn't like it and I hope to surprise her after our summer break. She is either going to love it or hate it all the more depending on how well I can fumble through it.

Surprisingly easy, barely an inconvenience.

Kawai K8 & Kawai Novus NV10

13x[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
M
OP Offline
M
Greener, I'm game. What's the procedure, record and then post it? What's the guideline for mistakes - should one just decide on a performance and post regardless or do a few and cherry pick the best one? I prefer the former approach (barring some catastrophe like the dogs starting to bark) - make it as real (ie live) as possible.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Well done!

Me on YouTube

Casio PX-5S. Garritan CFX, Production Grand 2 Gold, Concert Grand LE, AcousticSamples C7, some Sampletekks. Pianoteq 8 Std (Blüthner, SteinGraeber, NY/HB Steinway D).
G

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
G
Greener, I'm game. What's the procedure, record and then post it? What's the guideline for mistakes - should one just decide on a performance and post regardless or do a few and cherry pick the best one? I prefer the former approach (barring some catastrophe like the dogs starting to bark) - make it as real (ie live) as possible.

Sweet.Yes.Yes.

Whatever your style preference I am sure it will be great.

The February recital will open (call for submissions) on February 1st. You can see the process with this recital if not already familiar or participating.

For the May recital, we should be ready with our recordings (sound files) by May 1st.

When recital opens we can watch performance entries so, we can target the uploads for somewhere around the 12-20 range if this sounds OK for you. Will be in touch again later, of course.

... wondering now if there could be any other takers out there for the 3rd.

V
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
V
Originally Posted by Greener

Sweet.Yes.Yes.

Whatever your style preference I am sure it will be great.

The February recital will open (call for submissions) on February 1st. You can see the process with this recital if not already familiar or participating.

For the May recital, we should be ready with our recordings (sound files) by May 1st.

When recital opens we can watch performance entries so, we can target the uploads for somewhere around the 12-20 range if this sounds OK for you. Will be in touch again later, of course.

... wondering now if there could be any other takers out there for the 3rd.

Haha. smile I wish I could join you guys. I'm working on the 3rd movement now but I'm sure it will still be in quite hideous form in May. today I practiced moving my fingers as little as possible over certain passages. Has me feeling back at square one! But I think it may be necessary for increasing the tempo.

Oh and dogs barking does not constitute a catastrophe for an ABF recital recording! smile Dogs barking, children crying, crows cawing, trains going by....all such things and more are acceptable.

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,159
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission