2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
53 members (CharlesXX, bcalvanese, AlkansBookcase, Adam Reynolds, cascadia, Carey, accordeur, 1957, 10 invisible), 2,154 guests, and 301 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
A
OP Offline
A
Hi, everyone,

I need some help with this. Today my current teacher told me that she has approached another teacher who she (my teacher) believes will be a good fit for me to transfer to when she retires. At the end of the school year my teacher's remaining 2 high school students will finish lessons and will do their senior recitals and then they are off to college. I would be my teacher's only remaining student (I'm her only adult student.) So now she will be retiring.

The new prospective teacher says that I can come to her studio whenever I would like.

So the question is: What would be the appropriate time frame to make the transfer?

Wait until the end of the school year? Do it when I feel comfortable? I asked my current teacher if I can wait until the end of the year and she seems OK with that.

But how would you want a new student to transition into your studio.

All ideas welcome.

A R

Sauter 122 Masterclass (M-Line)
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
What a thoughtful teacher you have!

Are you planning any retirement shindig for her/him?

It would be neat if you could round up former students, have a piano playing party of some kind. I know I would be thrilled if my students were so inclined.

As for your question, out of respect for your current teacher, I'd go ahead and visit the new teacher's studio, but I'd wait until retirement to actually begin lessons.

"Those who dare to teach must never cease to learn." -- Richard Henry Dann
Full-time Private Piano Teacher offering Piano Lessons in Olympia, WA. www.mypianoteacher.com
Certified by the American College of Musicians; member NGPT, MTNA, WSMTA, OMTA
P
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
P
I'm sort of with John here, although I would also interview a couple of other prospective teachers on your own. You are not obligated to move to another teacher who is recommended by your current teacher. The business of teaching piano to adults is tricky, and often done poorly. Ideally you want your next relationship to be at least as good as your present one.

Keep us posted. But my advice it is stick with your present teacher as long as possible. Maybe she'll even soften and keep you on as her sole pupil!

A
OP Offline
A
Originally Posted by John v.d.Brook
What a thoughtful teacher you have!

Are you planning any retirement shindig for her/him?

It would be neat if you could round up former students, have a piano playing party of some kind. I know I would be thrilled if my students were so inclined.

As for your question, out of respect for your current teacher, I'd go ahead and visit the new teacher's studio, but I'd wait until retirement to actually begin lessons.

Hi, John,

I actually don't know where the other adult that she used to teach lives anymore, so the only "shindig" I would be able to do would be to take her out to lunch along with a former student's mom. The mom doesn't take piano but her kids did and they are at college or in a different city. But the three of us do occasionally get together for lunch.

Thanks for the idea of at least visiting the new studio and then waiting until the retirement. I was thinking that I'd finish up with the end of the school year as the two other students will be moving on to college in the fall and that would be a natural break in things.

But - here is what happened yesterday that caught me off guard:

I had in the past asked my teacher what she would do with me once the other 2 went off to college. At the time I asked the question my teacher said she would still continue to teach me.
So yesterday when she brought up the fact that she found me a place in another studio, I was taken off-guard. But she did say for me to think about it. But she also said I could go at whatever time that I wanted since the other teacher said I could come at anytime. It feels like a gray area or that I am not reading some subtle hint, or I am just imagining things. I guess I am a bit off-balance.

But your idea of meeting with the new teacher and then transitioning when the retirement actually takes place sound like a reasonable approach.

A R

A
OP Offline
A
Originally Posted by Peter K. Mose
I'm sort of with John here, although I would also interview a couple of other prospective teachers on your own. You are not obligated to move to another teacher who is recommended by your current teacher. The business of teaching piano to adults is tricky, and often done poorly. Ideally you want your next relationship to be at least as good as your present one.

Keep us posted. But my advice it is stick with your present teacher as long as possible. Maybe she'll even soften and keep you on as her sole pupil!

Hi, Peter,

My teacher carefully thought out who she would trust being my new teacher and who would carry on the depth of teaching that we are doing. The new teacher does have a number of adults in her studio, so that is a big plus. There are other studios who also teach adults but my teacher didn't feel they would meet my needs. The new teacher has the students who are geared for a more rigorous standard of teaching adult piano students than the other ones. With my current teacher we do all of the musicianship elements that one does for guild except for the fact that I don't do the guild auditions. I like being able to play in my current teacher's recitals while the adults in many of the other studios don't want to play for others. The prospective new teacher's adults do play for each other.

The new teacher does know that I am a serious piano student and we often see each other up at the different piano oriented and chamber music performances at the music and arts center in our area.

So we'll see how a visit to the new studio goes and I'll let you know how things go.

A R

P
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by A Rebours

I had in the past asked my teacher what she would do with me once the other 2 went off to college. At the time I asked the question my teacher said she would still continue to teach me.
So yesterday when she brought up the fact that she found me a place in another studio, I was taken off-guard. But she did say for me to think about it.

A R

I'd try to hold her to her earlier comment, that she'll continue to teach you. Sounds to me like your teacher is just thinking you might feel weird as her only student, and offering you the chance to move on if you wish. Don't take it.

That's my advice, unless you think she is slipping either mentally or in commitment to you. Maybe you'll carry on together another year or two, or five. Ask her if she reads PW!

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,152
Members111,629
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission