Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
95 registered (Almaviva, accordeur, anamnesis, AndyP, 28 invisible), 1284 Guests and 25 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Topic Options
#2215572 - 01/16/14 05:34 AM Struggling with a chord, advise please.
paulj48 Offline

Hi, I'm working my way through Alfred's book 1 on a Casio digital piano.

I am trying to play a D7 chord with my right hand but my 5th finger wont fit between the c# and d# black keys and my hand wont bend enough to play the F# C and D on the 'open' parts of the keys.

I always thought my hands where of an average size, is this a common problem? any advise please?

(ads P/S)

Petrof Pianos

#2215578 - 01/16/14 06:16 AM Re: Struggling with a chord, advise please. [Re: paulj48]
sinophilia Offline

Gold Supporter until Sept. 05 2014

Loc: Italy
What page is this on?

I play D7 chords like this with the right hand, is this the fingering you are using?
F# (thumb) - C (4th finger) - D (pinky)

Edited by sinophilia (01/16/14 06:22 AM)

#2215585 - 01/16/14 07:03 AM Re: Struggling with a chord, advise please. [Re: sinophilia]
paulj48 Offline

page 60, yes thats the fingering I'm using

#2215588 - 01/16/14 07:12 AM Re: Struggling with a chord, advise please. [Re: paulj48]
sinophilia Offline

Gold Supporter until Sept. 05 2014

Loc: Italy
I think you find it awkward because your hand is not used to this position and possibly you tense up... this happens to me often when I see a fingering or a position that looks uncomfortable, but usually it gets better after a few tries.

If your pinky doesn't fit between the black keys and you have to move it down on the D key, your hand position will definitely be less comfortable. I think the advice of someone with larger hands is needed!

#2215862 - 01/16/14 06:37 PM Re: Struggling with a chord, advise please. [Re: sinophilia]
JohnSprung Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Reseda, California
Originally Posted By: sinophilia
I play D7 chords like this with the right hand, is this the fingering you are using?
F# (thumb) - C (4th finger) - D (pinky)

How about the "A"? D7 in root position would be D, F#, A, C.

This sounds like D7/F# with the fifth (A) dropped. In that case, one thing to try is hitting both C and D with the 5 (pinky) finger, and the 1 (thumb) hitting F# at the end closest to you.

When you really do have to get between black keys, one thing I've found helps is to hit the white between the blacks close to the fallboard end. The white needs less distance there, so it can sound without the blacks moving far enough to also sound. At the near end, I can't hit G or A without playing all three. The in between part of D is actually a little wider than G and A, but for me it's still a problem.

One thing that can help is to use different inversions, such as C7/E instead of root position. Another is to transpose to nearby keys. The more blacks, the better -- they're easy to reach from any angle. I've found things that are hard in the so-called "easy" key of C to be much more natural and comfortable in B, where you have five sharps.

Perhaps it's time to design a special "narrow blacks" keyboard.

Knabe Grand # 10927
Yamaha CP33
Kawai FS690

#2215894 - 01/16/14 07:55 PM Re: Struggling with a chord, advise please. [Re: paulj48]
earlofmar Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Australia
don't take it the wrong way...but welcome to the piano, all it's ups and downs and finger bending torture.

Problem here will be general flexibility but specifically weakness of the fourth and fifth fingers, although if you are just starting piano you will be finding it difficult with most fingers but these in particular are a problem for most of us. Just take it easy and move slowly and above all be patient as you have to be playing for a while before some of these chords become second nature and feel natural and comfortable.

Alfred Book 1 introduces the first scale on page 100. Many will find after a few weeks of practice with some scales the fourth and fifth fingers begin to co-operate a little more. But I started fourteen months ago and still work on these fingers separately as they have a lifetime of catching up to do.

#2215899 - 01/16/14 08:01 PM Re: Struggling with a chord, advise please. [Re: paulj48]
RonDrotos Offline

Loc: New York City
When teaching adult beginners, I've found that they have to be careful when first learning. Y=Basically, you're asking your hand to do things that it's never done before, and you can hurt yourself if you 'push it' too much.

Keep your hand and arm relaxed, and don't try to play too many uncomfortable chords or musical passages until your muscles get used to playing piano.

In the meantime, just leave out the 'A'. This should help, at least a little. The 'A', being the 5th of the chord, can be omitted without changing the characteristic sound of the chord. In fact, jazz pianists routinely leave the 5th out when they play.

Good luck!

#2216242 - 01/17/14 01:43 PM Re: Struggling with a chord, advise please. [Re: paulj48]
Michael Martinez Offline

Loc: California
If you're voicing this for solo piano, you want to do this:

LH: D C
RH: E F# A

This gives you a D9 chord (which includes D7 in it.)

Practice the above. The add "C" to the RH and practice the inversions of this RH voicing up and down the keyboard.

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!

Trade Regrets:
Barry "Bear" Arnaut

(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) Piano Music Sale - Dover Publications
Piano Music Sale
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
anyone... listening to Greek Radio?
by Nikolas
11/27/14 12:38 AM
Weber piano sonatas: a "hidden" treasure
by jeffreyjones
11/27/14 12:32 AM
Yamaha Avantgrand N1 manufacturing date
by farain
11/26/14 11:12 PM
Is it really possible to ignore fingerings?
by bjorn of brekkukot
11/26/14 08:29 PM
Recording equipment advice
by aceydawg
11/26/14 07:48 PM
Forum Stats
77064 Members
42 Forums
159386 Topics
2341311 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission