Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2215650 - 01/16/14 10:51 AM Expect the worst and never be dissappointed again.
Ragdoll Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Illinois
Ahem... I have my piece for the Feb 15 recital (my first) as good as I've ever played it and made a strong effort to get a recording this am. Why is the red dot so darned stubborn? It couldn't have been my unwieldy fingers right? whome I have nearly a month to get a good recording though, I hope that's sufficient time for me to get my s*** out of the street! mad

Edited by Ragdoll (01/16/14 10:52 AM)
Edit Reason: grammer

Never get directions from someone who hasn't been there.

Just be yourself, everyone else is already taken.

(ads P/S)

Sauter Pianos

#2215662 - 01/16/14 11:10 AM Re: Expect the worst and never be dissappointed again. [Re: Ragdoll]
joflah Offline

Loc: St. Louis, MO, USA
I'd like to have a system that continually recorded the last half-hour of whatever I played, new material overlaying the old in a circular buffer. Over the days and weeks, I'd forget about it, and then something would come out ok for a few minutes. I could then grab and save whatever I wanted and see if it was really as good as I thought.
The red light would then just be a continual smoldering crimson glow.

#2215665 - 01/16/14 11:17 AM Re: Expect the worst and never be dissappointed again. [Re: Ragdoll]
Stubbie Offline

Loc: Midwest USA
Quote:
Expect the worst and never be disappointed again.

I like to think of it as 'doing my best,' which may well be worser than worst, but it *is* my best. grin

Yes, that magic ol' red light. Sometimes I put my recording device behind me so I can't see the red light. BUT I KNOW IT'S THERE.

Edited by Stubbie (01/16/14 11:18 AM)

#2215667 - 01/16/14 11:22 AM Re: Expect the worst and never be dissappointed again. [Re: Ragdoll]
scorpio Offline

Loc: Connecticut, USA
I have heard of some that record their entire practice session. That way they forget the red dot is on. They go back and pick out their good run through. But you have to have a good system - and storage - to be able to use this method.

Yamaha P-155

#2215692 - 01/16/14 12:25 PM Re: Expect the worst and never be dissappointed again. [Re: Ragdoll]
    sinophilia Offline

Gold Supporter until Sept. 05 2014

Loc: Italy
    It's a struggle. As soon as I turn the recorder on I forget everything and I can no longer maintain a steady rhythm. And if I feel that I'm doing something right, I get more and more nervous as I approach the end of the piece, until I get trembling legs! This is so stupid. I tried to record entire sessions but haven't had much luck yet. My best take is usually the first; afterwards I start adding all sorts of mistakes that seem to come from nowhere. I really benefit from playing the piece a bit slower than usual and focus on maintaining a steady pace. That's why my submissions drag so much grin

#2215716 - 01/16/14 01:06 PM Re: Expect the worst and never be dissappointed again. [Re: Ragdoll]
    dynamobt Offline
    500 Post Club Member

Loc: NH
    The worst is nearing the end (regardless of how long of a piece) and feeling that sense of relief you are going to "make it" only to throw in a big blooper requiring an entirely new recording. This can happen in a live recital too. In fact, it's happened to me!! Six pages of music survived only to think it's nearly over to make a big mistake in the second to last measure! Just adding truth to the saying "it's not over till it's over"!!!!

Later this month I have a live recital and I get to see if making recordings has had any effect on my perfomance nerves. I've actually felt fairly relaxed during recordings. Now to see if there has been any carryover. I can only hope! They also say "what doesn't kill you makes you stronger". The jury is out on that!! LOL!!!!!

#2215812 - 01/16/14 04:56 PM Re: Expect the worst and never be dissappointed again. [Re: joflah]
    peterws Offline
    3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Northern England.
    Originally Posted By: joflah
    I'd like to have a system that continually recorded the last half-hour of whatever I played, new material overlaying the old in a circular buffer. Over the days and weeks, I'd forget about it, and then something would come out ok for a few minutes. I could then grab and save whatever I wanted and see if it was really as good as I thought.

Pianoteq does that whether you like it or whether you don`t . . .and you can save it as an audio file. If you so desire. In fact, I suppose most digitals do that if you set to record before your session. Up to 30k notes or whatever . . .

Edited by peterws (01/16/14 04:57 PM)

""

#2215916 - 01/16/14 08:40 PM Re: Expect the worst and never be dissappointed again. [Re: peterws]
    joflah Offline

Loc: St. Louis, MO, USA
    Originally Posted By: peterws

Pianoteq does that whether you like it or whether you don`t . . .and you can save it as an audio file. If you so desire. In fact, I suppose most digitals do that if you set to record before your session. Up to 30k notes or whatever . . .

I didn't mean recording everything until some storage is filled, but something that specifically records the last n minutes, overwriting the least recent as the time goes over n. That way, if you use CD quality audio, you'd only have to devote 300 MB for 30 minutes. Only when you decide you want to keep something would you select and save it as a permanent file. Is that what Pianoteq does?

#2217670 - 01/20/14 01:44 PM Re: Expect the worst and never be dissappointed again. [Re: Ragdoll]
    Derulux Offline
    5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Philadelphia
    Can we clarify whether the original question means to expect the worst from yourself (ie, how you will play a performance) or from others (ie, others' reactions to a performance)? I would never, ever expect the worst from myself. I'd never do anything ever again! wink

#2217708 - 01/20/14 02:50 PM Re: Expect the worst and never be dissappointed again. [Re: joflah]
    peterws Offline
    3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Northern England.
    Originally Posted By: peterws

I didn't mean recording everything until some storage is filled, but something that specifically records the last n minutes, overwriting the least recent as the time goes over n. That way, if you use CD quality audio, you'd only have to devote 300 MB for 30 minutes. Only when you decide you want to keep something would you select and save it as a permanent file. Is that what Pianoteq does?

No. But if you stop for (shrug) an interval, it records whatever you play next, placing it at the top of the pile where you can easily access it and play back . . .with whatever instrument Pianoteq have provided. I find it useful.

""

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
    What's Hot!!
    Our latest Issue is available now...
    Piano News - Interesting & Fun Piano Related Newsletter! (free)
    -------------------
    HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
    -------------------
    Sharing is Caring!
    About the Buttons
    -------------------
    Forums Rules & Help
    -------------------
    ADVERTISE
    on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
    (ad) HAILUN Pianos
    Hailun Pianos - Click for More
    Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
    Knabe Pianos
    Sheet Music
    (PW is an affiliate)
    Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
    (125ad) Dampp Chaser
    Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
    (ad) Lindeblad Piano
    Lindeblad Piano Restoration
    Who's Online
    85 registered (36251, aesop, barbaram, Al LaPorte, Abby Pianoman, 26 invisible), 1343 Guests and 18 Spiders online.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Forum Stats
    75581 Members
    42 Forums
    156278 Topics
    2295099 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
    New Topics - Multiple Forums
    Help with dynamics
    by noobpianist90
    Today at 03:53 AM
    Using Kawai MP6 faders/knobs with virtual instruments?
    by chicolom
    Today at 02:35 AM
    Coming up with new compositional methods.
    by gsmonks
    Today at 01:58 AM
    Impromptu in A
    by Ritzycat
    Today at 12:42 AM
    what do you think piano teachers about it?
    by Maximillyan
    Today at 12:15 AM
    (ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
    | Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
    | Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
    | |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
    No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission