2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
68 members (Barly, 1957, btcomm, brennbaer, Animisha, bobrunyan, 1200s, 36251, 14 invisible), 1,919 guests, and 357 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 27 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 26 27
Palmpirate #2214420 01/14/14 09:43 AM
M
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by Palmpirate
Leaving Jan 14th until Jan 28th. My mother in law passed away over the holidays at 96yrs, quietly in her sleep, still in her own home and on her own.She used to play and now my niece has her piano. Life ends but the music goes on.
I'm very sorry for your loss. Prayers for you and your family during this difficult time. frown

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
casinitaly #2214430 01/14/14 10:04 AM

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

7000 Post Club Member
So sorry for your loss Palmpirate. May your many memories of happy times be of some comfort to you as you grieve. Condolences and prayers going out for you and yours.

[Linked Image]
18 ABF Recitals, Order of the Red Dot
European Piano Parties - Brussels, Lisbon, Lucern, Milan, Malaga, St. Goar
Themed recitals: Grieg and Great American Songbook

casinitaly #2214671 01/14/14 04:45 PM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Palmpirate, condolences to you and your family. I hope you find solace in the quiet manner of her passing, and the musical heritage she left behind.

Deborah
Charles Walter 1500
Happiness is a shiny red piano.
[Linked Image]
casinitaly #2214708 01/14/14 05:56 PM
B
B
Ohhhhhhh boy. Here goes: Count me in! I will soon have a grand in my house (after 20 years of digital piano), so this will be a good way to keep me visiting those keys, even after the honeymoon wears off!

Cheers!

Estonia L-190 1970
casinitaly #2214753 01/14/14 07:10 PM
M
M
My condolences to Palmpirate and your family as well. 96 is a wonderful milestone. And so glad the music is being kept in the family and passed down.

It is never too late to be what you might have been. George Eliot

1919 Weber Duo-Art upright, Roland RD-700GX,
1918 Chickering Ampico 5'8", 1923 Steinway Duo-Art 6'4"

[Linked Image]
molehill #2215041 01/15/14 09:53 AM
B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
My thoughts are with you and your loved ones Palmpirate.
Beautiful to think of the music passing through the generations. I learned on a piano that came from my grandparents' house, and it's still in my parents' house today. There's a lovely sense of history when my kids visit my parents and play it (it'd be even lovelier if the piano was in tune, admittedly).

[Linked Image]
Palmpirate #2215160 01/15/14 01:01 PM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
My mother in law passed away over the holidays at 96yrs, quietly in her sleep, still in her own home and on her own.

Wow, 96 and still able to function on her own. What a blessing. I'm sorry to hear of your loss but she had long life and a peaceful journey to eternity. My condolences to you Ron and to your family.

Ragdoll

At first, she only flew when she thought no one was watching.

[Linked Image]
casinitaly #2216033 01/17/14 04:47 AM
W
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
W
My condolences to Palmpirate.

casinitaly #2216034 01/17/14 04:49 AM
W
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
W
Question:
If I were only at home for a very fast breakfast and dinner, and didn't play that day. How does that count?

Disclaimer: I touched the yesterday piano, played two bars or something wink

casinitaly #2216064 01/17/14 08:48 AM
P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P
Well, that would be fine, wouldn't it? Not because of the being away from home, but because of the two bars. grin

I only managed ten minutes yesterday, myself, which is unheard-of for me, but at least it's something. Played through the first movement of Beethoven's Appassionata.

Regards,

Polyphonist
casinitaly #2216089 01/17/14 09:32 AM
M
M
Sometimes I only get to play at a lesson accompanying a voice student or demonstrating something to a piano student. It "counts" but not in a way that satisfies me.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
casinitaly #2216104 01/17/14 10:03 AM

7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

7000 Post Club Member
Folks, it's the honour system.
If you could have played and didn't...... 'fess up.

To me "at home" means I was at home long enough that I could have played.
I have the silent digital system so even if I leave home early and come home late, there's really no excuse for me to skip getting in at least a few scales.

As Morodiene said, it "counts" but it isn't satisfying.

So Wimpiano, your question is irrelevant now, because you did play - but maybe my response will help for the future.

[Linked Image]

casinitaly #2216327 01/17/14 06:22 PM
G
G
As my first post, can I a join in?

Retro-actively too, I have been at the piano every day this year so far, bar one day travelling for work - and only 347 days to go!

[Linked Image]
casinitaly #2216331 01/17/14 06:37 PM

7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

7000 Post Club Member
Sure, I'll add you to the list - I'll put you on the excused list as you had a "justified" day off smile

Welcome!

[Linked Image]

casinitaly #2216349 01/17/14 07:17 PM
P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
Ragdoll, barbaram, molehill, piano_deb, casinitaly, Morodiene, CarlosCC.
wimpiano

Thank you , all of you for your kind concern and apologies if I missed any other of my virtual friends. It is comforting to the family to know that we unite universally with the passing of a loved one.

I look forward to many musical exchanges with you in the near future

sincerely
Marion.

[Linked Image][Linked Image]

casinitaly #2216543 01/18/14 08:31 AM
P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
Healing.....Just a paragraph I thought some of you might relate to...

After the funeral they all had so much to attend to, my husband and his brother. My sister-in-law was taking care of her 86 yr old mum. A full time job now. My niece taking care of a 3 month old daughter along with a doting dad. My nephew took off for the day with his friend and will join us they evening for a curry.
Feeling so very extra around here, I made people cups of coffee or tea and looked longingly at the piano, silent in the other room. But I couldn’t play it, not now, or tomorrow, or this visit. The air is heavy with the silence of the grieving. Cheery faces greet each other as they pass in the corridor, waiting for it to not hurt so much, when it will be alright to talk about her when she was alive.
I find a small keyboard up stairs in our attic bedroom, set on end beside the dresser. I put it on the too-small childs desk and prop up my iPad. In the Virtual music app is my Chopin, and I try just the right hand on the 4 octaves before me. No need to turn it on, and there are no headphones around. The keys are too small but it makes me round my fingers more than usual which isn’t so bad. But I slip off the too-short keys too often and it’s frustrating. Anyway the score doesn’t have the fingering notated. I leave it as not worth it.
Perhaps downstairs they are ready for another cup of tea.

Palmpirate #2216553 01/18/14 09:24 AM
M
M

After the funeral they all had so much to attend to, my husband and his brother. My sister-in-law was taking care of her 86 yr old mum. A full time job now. My niece taking care of a 3 month old daughter along with a doting dad. My nephew took off for the day with his friend and will join us they evening for a curry.
Feeling so very extra around here, I made people cups of coffee or tea and looked longingly at the piano, silent in the other room. But I couldn’t play it, not now, or tomorrow, or this visit. The air is heavy with the silence of the grieving. Cheery faces greet each other as they pass in the corridor, waiting for it to not hurt so much, when it will be alright to talk about her when she was alive.
I find a small keyboard up stairs in our attic bedroom, set on end beside the dresser. I put it on the too-small childs desk and prop up my iPad. In the Virtual music app is my Chopin, and I try just the right hand on the 4 octaves before me. No need to turn it on, and there are no headphones around. The keys are too small but it makes me round my fingers more than usual which isn’t so bad. But I slip off the too-short keys too often and it’s frustrating. Anyway the score doesn’t have the fingering notated. I leave it as not worth it.
Playing piano can be very healing. I wonder if you asked everyone's permission if you could play in honor of the dearly departed who loved piano? I think it would have a profound and positive effect on everyone.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Morodiene #2216571 01/18/14 10:00 AM
A
A
Originally Posted by Morodiene

Playing piano can be very healing. I wonder if you asked everyone's permission if you could play in honor of the dearly departed who loved piano? I think it would have a profound and positive effect on everyone.

By all means play! Music gives sound to the unutterable groanings of the human soul. You are there to do just that.

They cancel trivial sporting events during times of national emergency, but not concerts for a reason!

casinitaly #2216797 01/18/14 06:40 PM
N
N
I would like to participate please. I had my piano delivered yesterday and so far I have indeed practiced yesterday and today smile

anrpiano #2216992 01/19/14 05:46 AM
P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
Morodiene, anrpiano,

Thank you. I took courage.
Here's how it went.

The Piano at Woodlands

There on the deep red leather sofa in the lounge, sat four generations of women. My sister-in-law next to her daughter, who was nursing baby Eirwen, named after her Great Grandmother, who sat the other side. Translated from Welsh it means Snow White in English, and with her shock of jet black hair she looks a lovely as her cartoon namesake. They whispered soft cooings to the baby who delighted them with wriggling arms reaching up pat to their faces.

Opposite were seated the two brothers almost to be taken for twins, not only in looks but identical body language. It spoke of years of following similar habits. There on the matching red sofa in the window alcove, right leg over left, trouser slightly pulled up at the knee, spectacles balanced on bridge of nose. MacBook Air replaces The Times, soft keyboard clicks, the lost sound of rustling newspapers.

The new Uncle talked softly with his pal about their day spent in the Castle and the new Dr Who museum, scarcely raising their voices and keeping amused chuckles quiet.

The only seat left was what we refer to as Her Throne. The absent Matriach still exudes her presence, a mix of Q.E.11 and The Iron Lady. it was not for me to sit there. It was the new Dad who walked in and quite naturally took his place. I slipped out to the next room.

I stared at the latest piece of art propped up on the piano music stand. Should I move it? Near-by the big double bass was propped in its ‘coffin’.
I leafed through some music on a stand. Trumpet solos. There on the bench was some more hopeful looking scores. Songs, and choir music. This was a family of wonderful voices, evidenced by all the choral music I’d found. They all sang in an Eisteddfod prize winning Welsh Choir that went on tours! Nothing just for piano around.

Dad walked in with the baby, trying to rock her to sleep in his arms.

Why don’t you move the painting and play something?

OH, I don’t know, I just have my iPad here and i can’t find anything else around for piano.

We placed the art on the big family dining table. There behind it on the music stand it was book with welsh titles. I had no idea what it was about.

It’s Nursery rhymes. Do play some. Maybe Eirwen will recognize them.

I turned to the first page. Not a tune I recognized and the titles gave me no clues at all. Thankfully the score was really simple so I could probably get through. I felt the weight of the keys and how the pedal responded - it was in tune and the action quite easy, no stiff notes or twangs to worry about.

No. I don’t know that one , he said, Try some more.

He had been learning Welsh since they’d got married so translated a few of the words which gave me an idea of tempo, a dance, a nonsense song.

For an Englishman he sang rather well and did know a few of the songs. It seems Eirwen did too and she drifted off to sleep as her father sang a lullaby. Sweet innocence.

Mam-Gu, (Grandma) walked in, wine glass in hand.

Ah, yes, I had to get some nursery rhymes!

I turned the page and she sang along. It was easy to accompany her and we melded together. Her voice was still lovely and the soprano soared over the simple bass line that I just let flow along with her, hardly sounding the tune. We turned page after page and a few others joined in with the more well known folk songs.

As we came to the last song and someone declared - Lets top up the wine!

They drifted back into the lounge and I turned to pick up my iPad. Maybe I could just play one. something not too ambitious. What about Mrs. Darcy, that Pride and prejudice theme song medley. I’d heated her to death often enough, time for resurrection!

Here we go - cold.

It’s been a while since I’ve played this through. Not too difficult anymore. only one note at a time. Nothing like the classics, more like Yani or Enya. Poignant and flowing and not too fast.

Count your way through, remember your cues. It would be in that soaring climb that a wrong note creeps in. Oh no! the climbing thirds are reversed! But the harmony works, keep that pattern going til you get through that passage, it will be alright!

A kiss wafts upward, blown high in the sky.
Then four octaves below, the last, slow, sonorous chords, like tolling bells.
Peace at last.

Exhale, breathe.

It’s beautiful.

Last edited by Palmpirate; 01/19/14 05:47 AM.

Page 7 of 27 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 26 27

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,386
Posts3,349,204
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission