2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
48 members (20/20 Vision, Cheeeeee, Adam Reynolds, Cominut, Burkhard, 1200s, clothearednincompo, akse0435, busa, 36251, 5 invisible), 1,325 guests, and 294 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 17 1 2 3 4 5 16 17
G
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
G
Updated list:

J.S.Bach

French Suite No.4 – 1RC
English Suite no.2 – FarmGirl
Partita no.1 - Carey
Partita no.3 - Ganddalf
Partita no.6 - Kuanpiano

G.F. Händel

Keyboard suite no. 16 - Cinnamobear

E.Grieg

Peer Gynt Suite no.1 - Damon
From Holberg's time - jeffreyjones

C.Debussy

Suite Bergamasque - woodog
Suite pour le Piano - neuralfirings

M.Ravel

Tombeau de Couperin - hreichgott + ScriabinAddict

B.Bartok

Suite Op.14 – Kreisler
Six Romanian Folk Dances - Carey

Deodat de Severac

En Languedoc: Suite pour piano - Tim Adrianson

Alberto Ginastera

Suite de Danzas Criollas - Orange Soda King

G
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by carey
I'm certainly no expert - but Bach named this work "Concerto in the Italian Style." If he'd considered it a suite or partita he would've called it that instead. The Woodland Sketches, on the other hand, are sometimes referred to as a "suite" even tho McDowell himself didn't name it as such. I've seen the Scenes from Childhood referred to as a "suite" along with Papillions - but not works such as Carnival or Album for the Young. Then, of course, we have the Mendelssohn Songs Without Words and Grieg Lyric Pieces - neither of which I've ever seen referred to as a suite. So - it tends to get kind of fuzzy - doesn't it??

Definitions of "suite" seem to fall into three general categories - as summarized below....

SUITE - Music
a. an instrumental composition consisting of several movements in the same key based on or derived from dance rhythms, esp in the baroque period
b. an instrumental composition in several movements less closely connected than a sonata
c. a piece of music containing movements based on or extracted from music already used in an opera, ballet, play, etc.

Collins Discovery Encyclopedia, 1st edition © HarperCollins Publishers 2005

Based on this it seems that "Woodland Sketches" could be accepted as a suite while "Scenes from Childhood" and "Italian Concerto" are not. Since we have defined this as a "Suite" recital I suggest that we stick to this limitation.

Platinum Supporter until November 30 2022
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until November 30 2022
Originally Posted by jeffreyjones
The OP did say that "suite" should be in the title, with exceptions for other pieces with the common dance forms you find in Baroque suites, like From Holberg's Time. That's why Le Tombeau de Couperin is acceptable but Kinderscenen wouldn't fit the theme.

It's probably worth noting that only two of the six movements in the Tombeau are based on Baroque dance forms - and one is based on an Italian folk dance. The remaining movements (Prelude, Fugue, Toccata) harken back to the Baroque period - but aren't dance forms.

Given this, where might Bartok's Six Romanian Folk Dances fit into the great scheme of things????

Mason and Hamlin BB - 91640
Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/pianophilo
G
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
G
The OP did say that "suite" should be in the title, with exceptions for other pieces with the common dance forms you find in Baroque suites, like From Holberg's Time. That's why Le Tombeau de Couperin is acceptable but Kinderscenen wouldn't fit the theme.

It's probably worth noting that only two of the six movements in the Tombeau are based on Baroque dance forms - and one is based on an Italian folk dance. The remaining movements (Prelude, Fugue, Toccata) harken back to the Baroque period - but aren't dance forms.

Given this, where might Bartok's Six Romanian Folk Dances fit into the great scheme of things????

The OP gave these directions as an attempt to limit the scope of this recital. But I want to be flexible and avoid too much formalism.

Bartok's Romainan Folk Dances is a sequence of pieces with dance rhythms. In fact the word "suite" can also be translated a "sequence". Therefore I would say it fits.

Several of the modern "suites" contain movements without dance character. Suite Bergamasque also has only two "dances", and the main point is that the pieces are intended to be performed in sequence.

Anyhow I we must keep sonatas outside the scope even if they also consist of movements intended to be performed in "sequence". This is because the sonata is a well defined form and the literature is so huge that we can make several "sonata e-citals" later. I would, however, not have any objections to accepting the Italian Concerto in the "sonata" context.

W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
W
Another question about acceptable pieces - I was toying with the idea of trying to learn a 20th century partita (by Arthur Berger) for this e-cital, and although it is a multiple movement work, none are dances. But, on the other hand, probably emulating Bach, there is an Aria and a Capriccio in it.

So I guess the question I have is - does anything titled "Partita" also fit, or just Bach's?

BTW, I'm not really ready to commit, but thought it was probably better to ask right away, before I spent too much time trying to figure out whether I can actually play it.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
[...] It's probably worth noting that only two of the six movements in the Tombeau are based on Baroque dance forms - and one is based on an Italian folk dance. The remaining movements (Prelude, Fugue, Toccata) harken back to the Baroque period - but aren't dance forms.[...]

In that case, it's worth noting that some suites and partitas from the Baroque period included a prelude, fugue, or toccata (or fantasie, sinfonia, or overture) along with the dance forms. smile

I may not be fast,
but at least I'm slow.
G
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by wr
Another question about acceptable pieces - I was toying with the idea of trying to learn a 20th century partita (by Arthur Berger) for this e-cital, and although it is a multiple movement work, none are dances. But, on the other hand, probably emulating Bach, there is an Aria and a Capriccio in it.

So I guess the question I have is - does anything titled "Partita" also fit, or just Bach's?

BTW, I'm not really ready to commit, but thought it was probably better to ask right away, before I spent too much time trying to figure out whether I can actually play it.

There is little difference between the meaning of "suite" and "partita". It sounds to me that the Artur Berger work fits well here.

Last edited by Ganddalf; 01/17/14 09:17 AM.
W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by Ganddalf

There is little difference between the meaning of "suite" and "partita". It sounds to me that the Artur Berger work fits well here.

Thanks. That's what I think, too.

M
M
Originally Posted by Ganddalf

The OP gave these directions as an attempt to limit the scope of this recital. But I want to be flexible and avoid too much formalism.

Bartok's Romainan Folk Dances is a sequence of pieces with dance rhythms. In fact the word "suite" can also be translated a "sequence". Therefore I would say it fits.

Several of the modern "suites" contain movements without dance character. Suite Bergamasque also has only two "dances", and the main point is that the pieces are intended to be performed in sequence.

Anyhow I we must keep sonatas outside the scope even if they also consist of movements intended to be performed in "sequence". This is because the sonata is a well defined form and the literature is so huge that we can make several "sonata e-citals" later. I would, however, not have any objections to accepting the Italian Concerto in the "sonata" context.
What about Bartok Six Dances in Bulgarian Rhythms from Mikrokosmos Vol. 6?

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
G
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by Morodiene
What about Bartok Six Dances in Bulgarian Rhythms from Mikrokosmos Vol. 6?

I don't know these pieces, but it sounds ok to me.

Thanks everyone for the help!

Re-learning (polishing):
Chopin - Prelude in D-flat major Op. 28 No 15

Working on:
Chopin - Waltz in C-sharp minor Op. 64 No. 2
Deubussy - Suite bergamasque - Clair de lune
D
D
Originally Posted by albumblatter
I have studied the two pieces from Feinberg's Suite No. 1, Op. 11 -- Etude no. 1 and no. 4.
I think it will be more than ample time for me to learn the other two pieces. smile
Please sign me up for Feinberg's Suite No. 1!

A couple of these pieces have never been recorded, to my knowledge, so we may be in for a premiere!

Music does not have to be understood;
It has to be listened to.
- Hermann Scherchen.
D
D
Originally Posted by Polyphonist
The Scenes from Childhood are definitely not a suite.

Funny, immediately after browsing this thread, I read this article posted in this thread. And I highlight this paragraph:

The evening opened with the belated premiere of Marc Neikrug’s “Passions, Reflected” for solo piano, written in 2008. Structured in 12 sections, the piece was inspired, Mr. Neikrug told the audience, by Schumann’s imaginative suites for piano.

Music does not have to be understood;
It has to be listened to.
- Hermann Scherchen.
F

Silver Supporter until Jan 02 2013
2000 Post Club Member

Silver Supporter until Jan 02 2013
2000 Post Club Member
F
Hi everyone and Gandalf,
After due consideration and discussion with my friend, I decided to go French. Can I switch to French Suite II c minor BWV813. This one is much shorter and very pretty. My friend may join the forum to share this with me. Please put it under my name until he formerly joins. Thanks.

I will P-mail the same to Gandalf now.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
only two of the six movements in the Tombeau are based on Baroque dance forms - and one is based on an Italian folk dance. The remaining movements (Prelude, Fugue, Toccata) harken back to the Baroque period - but aren't dance forms.

Menuets, Rigaudons and Forlanes routinely appear in French Baroque suites. You're right about the other movements.

Heather Reichgott, piano

Working on:
Mel (Mélanie) Bonis - Sevillana, La cathédrale blessée
William Grant Still - Three Visions
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by D. S. F.
Originally Posted by albumblatter
I have studied the two pieces from Feinberg's Suite No. 1, Op. 11 -- Etude no. 1 and no. 4.
I think it will be more than ample time for me to learn the other two pieces. smile
Please sign me up for Feinberg's Suite No. 1!

A couple of these pieces have never been recorded, to my knowledge, so we may be in for a premiere!

Whoa!!! Cool!!!

I may not be fast,
but at least I'm slow.
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by hreichgott
only two of the six movements in the Tombeau are based on Baroque dance forms - and one is based on an Italian folk dance. The remaining movements (Prelude, Fugue, Toccata) harken back to the Baroque period - but aren't dance forms.

Menuets, Rigaudons and Forlanes routinely appear in French Baroque suites. You're right about the other movements.

Are not Menuets, Rigaudons and Forlanes dance forms? Are you saying, "If it's a dance form, even if it's Italian, it's o.k."? (I think that's what I heard you say...)

I may not be fast,
but at least I'm slow.
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Cinnamonbear

Are not Menuets, Rigaudons and Forlanes dance forms? Are you saying, "If it's a dance form, even if it's Italian, it's o.k."? (I think that's what I heard you say...)

Yes! I also support the Sarabande as part of a baroque suite, even though it is from Latin America.

Heather Reichgott, piano

Working on:
J
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
J

Yes! I also support the Sarabande as part of a baroque suite, even though it is from Latin America.

It was a court dance for a couple of centuries before the time of Bach, so there is a long precedent for it. Interesting how a dance that was seen as indecent and vulgar became adopted by the upper crust.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member

It was a court dance for a couple of centuries before the time of Bach, so there is a long precedent for it. Interesting how a dance that was seen as indecent and vulgar became adopted by the upper crust.

Given enough time that happens with the most amazing things smile
I know very little about pre-Baroque dance music but at least by the time of Couperin and Rameau the forlane was a well-established form in France.

Heather Reichgott, piano

Working on:
Page 3 of 17 1 2 3 4 5 16 17

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,185
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission