Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2216857 - 01/18/14 07:29 PM Need Advice About Selling a Piano, Time flies...!
tonychar Offline

Loc: CA
Hello everyone!

I guess I am a re-newbie here. I looked back through my posts, and after months of digging around, and a ton of great advice from everyone here, on January 13, 2007 I purchased a Nordiska 5'5" Model G. It was a great choice and I am still grateful to members here at Piano World for their assistance.

The piano was for my daughter who was only 11 years old at the time. We had split the cost of the piano back then with her grandmother who passed away in 2010. My little girl grew up and went through elementary and middle school, and spent 4 years in Performing Arts High Schools - getting up at 4:30 AM to commute. A year ago my wife was transferred to LA from the Bay Area, and the kids and myself, now retired, moved south. My daughter was in the summer between her Junior and Senior year, and was very fortunate to be accepted into Los Angeles School of the Arts vocal program as a Senior. She worked very hard through High School and while her crazy schedule prevented her from becoming the concert level pianist we had hoped (LOL), with our emphasis on education, she made her own choices and commitments all along the way, and was a successful student. She loved that piano shaking the house, and can actually compose music by ear on the piano, so I'm not complaining.

Time flies! So on to the present.

After four years of Performing Arts schools, she wanted to go to a "regular" college, and stay at home so attends Cal State LA as a freshman. And she has the dream and wants to be a star, so loves LA. Her life is busy now with her school and her first job, and she loves her music and won't stop singing. I'm sure many of you know what this is like! (Not much peace and quiet) And she is actually recording! And she sounds great. No matter her future, we are very proud!

And the Nordiska? When we moved to LA, we knew we wanted a smaller place, and to be near the ocean. (I watch the sunset over the Pacific Ocean every night, so can't complain) We planned on going smaller, but with the cost of homes here near the beach about 6-10 times the cost where we lived, we had to go smaller, but waited to decide on the piano. We kept the piano in a crate at first, then had it assembled, covered it, and put in a storage unit clear of anything else.

My daughter has an 88-key Korg M-50 in her room that she uses, and we don't have room for the Piano, so decided to sell it. We absolutely don't want to do Craigslist or sell it in any way where we need to run back and forth to our storage to meet complete strangers, or have them come here. I am assuming our best choice is to consign it to a dealer. If the economics are good and the Piano no longer has a decent value, we would consider donating it. (We already know where-so no begging!)

We are not in a huge rush, but are paying almost $400 a month for the storage, so the sooner the better. If anyone has any advice about what we should do, please chime in. I am as clueless about this as I was about buying the Piano back in 2007, so I welcome and appreciate your input.

Edited by tonychar (01/18/14 07:30 PM)

(ads 568) Hailun Pianos

#2216946 - 01/19/14 12:12 AM Re: Need Advice About Selling a Piano, Time flies...! [Re: tonychar]
Mark... Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Jersey Shore
Any thought to donate it to a charity (tax deduction) and save 400 a month on storage?

#2216954 - 01/19/14 12:38 AM Re: Need Advice About Selling a Piano, Time flies...! [Re: tonychar]
michaelha Offline
500 Post Club Member

I took a break from pianos until a couple years ago so a lot of the newer names are unfamiliar to me. I have heard a tiny bit about Nordiska's here, but looks like Dongbei quit using that brand. It seems like it was a pretty good/decent quality piano, but with the unfamiliar brand and limited stuff on the web, you're probably going to take a pretty bad hit.

And remember, most people don't buy pianos that often so first timers will probably only know Steinway and Yamaha (I've met people recently that never heard of Kawai, -_-), or they're getting back into it like me so they missed all the new brands, but you might get lucky and find someone who does know Nordiska or is qualified to appreciate the piano.

Where's the piano, SF or LA?

#2216955 - 01/19/14 12:42 AM Re: Need Advice About Selling a Piano, Time flies...! [Re: tonychar]
Troy 125 Offline

Have you looked into consigning it with a piano store?

#2217327 - 01/19/14 06:31 PM Re: Need Advice About Selling a Piano, Time flies...! [Re: tonychar]
Jolly Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Louisiana
AFAIK, there is no product coming out of the Dongbei factory since the Henry J debacle.
There are a few NOS grands floating around in the 165 size, asking price of about $8K.

For your piano, assuming it's in good shape, I'm thinking around $4500. A donation could probably be written for more.

Perhaps one of the dealers can chip in and correct me.

Over 1,000,000 posts where pianists discuss everything. And nothing.

#2217383 - 01/19/14 09:04 PM Re: Need Advice About Selling a Piano, Time flies...! [Re: tonychar]
ChatNoir Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Encino, California
How about calling an auction company?

#2263911 - 04/19/14 02:07 AM Re: Need Advice About Selling a Piano, Time flies...! [Re: tonychar]
tonychar Offline

Loc: CA
Thanks for the advice and sorry for the slow reply. We are most seriously considering a donation, and have a couple of worthy recipients in mind. We also realize that if we were to buy our now College freshman daughter a piano (if we had the room) we would spend considerably more than we did for the Nordiska as both her skills and our finances have come a long way in all these years. So off with the Nordiska, regardless.

I am curious about the "henry J debacle" mentiond in one reply, since I have no knowledge or context about it. Does someone have info or a link to fill me in? Thanks.

#2263923 - 04/19/14 02:56 AM Re: Need Advice About Selling a Piano, Time flies...! [Re: tonychar]
BDB Offline

Loc: Oakland
If you put the $400 per month into a larger place for your daughter, could she take it? If you could keep the piano until it is trade-in time, that might be the best bet.

The IRS has tightened the rules for donations (other than cash or publicly traded securities) if you donate something worth over $500. So if you donate it, you will need a professional appraisal by someone who can sign Form 8283, attesting that they are aware of, and can be held liable for the significant penalties for over-appraisals. You will also be liable for a false appraisal.

#2263986 - 04/19/14 09:12 AM Re: Need Advice About Selling a Piano, Time flies...! [Re: tonychar]
Steve Cohen Online   content

Loc: Maryland/DC/No. VA
I'm no accountant but I believe that it would be considered an itemized deduction and would reduce your taxable income. So if you were in a 33% tax bracket, a piano appraised at say $6000 would only save you $2000.

Consultant & Contributing Editor - Acoustic & Digital Piano Buyer

Jasons Music
Maryland/DC/No. VA
Since 1937.

www.jasonsmusic.com
My postings, unless stated otherwise, are my personal opinions, not those of my clients.

#2264010 - 04/19/14 10:00 AM Re: Need Advice About Selling a Piano, Time flies...! [Re: tonychar]
BDB Offline

Loc: Oakland
That is the case. Most people are in even a smaller bracket, so the amount you could save would be even less, and the cost of the appraisal would reduce that even more.

#2264096 - 04/19/14 01:47 PM Re: Need Advice About Selling a Piano, Time flies...! [Re: tonychar]
Silver Keys Offline

Loc: Upstate N.Y.
Try contacting a technician
Some of these guys deal too, and they are usually pretty well connected.
You'll owe him a fee, of course.
Yamaha P155

Moderator:  Ken Knapp, Piano World, Rickster 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
138 registered (accordeur, ajames, Allard, amin, Alan F, 37 invisible), 1414 Guests and 22 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76042 Members
42 Forums
157233 Topics
2309352 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Player Piano Bellows Question
by UnrightTooner
09/02/14 09:40 AM
do you memorize a piece when you learn to play it?
by Peter071
09/02/14 06:13 AM
Which classical (piano) music may I like?
by Stefo
09/02/14 05:50 AM
When to compose?
by noobpianist90
09/02/14 04:16 AM
First Recordings on the New Steinway!
by Markarian
09/02/14 04:11 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission