2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
23 members (HZPiano, admodios, johnesp, clothearednincompo, crab89, JohnCW, Georg Z., Joseph Fleetwood, 7 invisible), 1,274 guests, and 297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#2217631 01/20/14 01:41 PM
M
OP Offline
M
Can anybody tell me how to take apart and put together a Bluthner Patent Action there seems to be springs etc that i need to be careful with,if i could have detailed answer as possible

M
OP Offline
M

P
P
Why do you want to take the action apart?

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
The Blüthner Stoßzungen Mechanik is not something I would encourage you to dismantle, especially if there is a lack of experience in this type of mechanical set-up.

More importantly the reason to dismantle is...

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by pianolive
Why do you want to take the action apart?

Hey Pianolive, good to see you here. I had exactly the same thought upon reading this posting.

B
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
It has been a long time since I worked on one of these, but it is not difficult for someone who understands the workings of a piano action escapement. Once you know what an action is supposed to do, you can figure it out.

People ask questions that show that they have not taken the time or care to understand the principles. They are the ones who are going to get into trouble.

Semipro Tech
J
6000 Post Club Member
Online Blank
6000 Post Club Member
J
matty, my advice to you is find a technician who knows what they are doing. Which country are you in?

The patent action is one of the most beautiful actions, but it takes an expert to set it up properly. When correctly set up, the performance will be equal or even superior to a modern roller action, but when it isn't correctly set up, it just doesn't work!

YAMAHA Artist
L
L
Originally Posted by mattybizzle
Can anybody tell me how to take apart and put together a Bluthner Patent Action there seems to be springs etc that i need to be careful with,if i could have detailed answer as possible

Easy if you have some experience...: move laterally each one of the repetition springs (the front ones) out of its cavity; remove the stack screws and pull it carefully out. To mount it is a little more complicate as you need to put each pin guide of the abstract in its place first...
To regulate: 45mm blow and 9mm key deep, keeping the shanks contact the rest rail without play in the key, 1,5-3mm let-off, no after touch. Regulate the drop (moving in-out the repetition spring) is a little tricky, but this action can run marvelously as it has a very little friction.

M
OP Offline
M
hi there,i am a piano tuner/technician and served an apprenticeship under my father for 5 years i need to re face hammers and re glue ivories and clean key tops i have experience in modern grand actions but nothing on bluthner patents i just wanted to know easiest way to remove hammers so i can get to each individual key.

M
OP Offline
M
hi there,i am a piano tuner/technician and served an apprenticeship under my father for 5 years i need to re face hammers and re glue ivories and clean key tops i have experience in modern grand actions but nothing on bluthner patents i just wanted to know easiest way to remove hammers so i can get to each individual key.

M
OP Offline
M
Dear Sirs,
My main concern is removing the hammers is it best to take them all off at once by removing 2 screws at either end left and right and 2/3 nuts on top of the action near the hammer flanges or, the lower screws near the keys that hold the iron part into the key frame.Then unhooking the springs at the front of the action which pop into each individual key.
My other question is with regards to putting the action back together is it simply doing everything in reverse,i am a little worried about damaging the springs when putting the hammers back over the top of the keys and it would seem very tricky to drop the hammers down whilst trying to get the prongs into the holes while trying to miss every spring which is meant for each individual key, as they could easily catch and seems quite a lengthy procedure,would it benefit me to take every hammer off individually or is there an easier way to do this?
if you could explain how you would put the action back together that would help me a lot.
as i have said previously i have a lot of experience with all types of actions but just not on the Bluthner patent i understand the workings of the action etc but thought i would just ask some people with a little more experience then me for there advice so i go about it the right way.
thanks for your help

I'm live and work in England by the way

Last edited by mattybizzle; 01/20/14 05:54 PM.
L
L
First learn to remove a single unit (hammer+shank-flange+abstract arm): move laterally the repetition spring from its cavity, remove the flange screw, and pick up the unit.
Later learn to put it back: you will need a narrow tool from above to move the jack while you insert the abstract pin properly, and later put again the repetition spring.
After practicing that you'll be able to move all the shanks rail. To put it altogether again is better to be help by a large rule (the same to check the keys)or similar to move all the jacks (they have springs...) while you insert down the units. It works much better if you are assisted.
Hope this helps you.

P
P
Sorry, I thought you were asking how to take it all apart.
It is easy to dismantle but a little tricky to get it together.
First unhook the "repetition springs"
Then release the whole hammer rail, you will see the screws.
Now you can lift up the action. Watch out so you don't bend the iron threads which are going down into holes in the rockers on each key. They should follow the action right up. When you put the action back, it can take time to get these threads back into the holes.

You can also start by dismantling the rest rail.

J
6000 Post Club Member
Online Blank
6000 Post Club Member
J
Why don't you contact Bluthner's themselves? They will be able to point you in the right direction and have knowledge of the action.

YAMAHA Artist

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,164
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission