2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
70 members (AlkansBookcase, 36251, benkeys, Charles Cohen, 20/20 Vision, bcalvanese, booms, Bruce Sato, Carey, 9 invisible), 1,922 guests, and 266 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
J
OP Offline
J
Hello,

How much does it cost to paint a studio piano (say a baldwin 243) a flat/matte/satin black?

B
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
It depends on how well you want it done.

Semipro Tech
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Probably also depends where you are. I could get one done in Chengdu for a couple of hundred dollars.

Currently working towards "Twinkle twinkle little star"
J
OP Offline
J
Thanks, I'm in Los Angeles btw. $200 is reasonable, not sure where I'd go for this though?

D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
As BDB said, "It depends on how well you want it done." $200 in LA guarantees you won't like it.

Dale Fox
Registered Piano Technician
Remanufacturing/Rebuilding
B
BDB Offline
B
Maybe he would like it, but few others would!

Semipro Tech
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Can you hire a piano mover in LA for $200.00 ?

Verhnjak Pianos
Specializing in the Restoration, Refinishing & Maintenance
of Fine Heirloom Pianos

www.pianoman.ca
Verhnjak Pianos Facebook

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by johnbarnesiii
Hello,

How much does it cost to paint a studio piano (say a baldwin 243) a flat/matte/satin black?

May I ask, "Why?"

As finishes, I understand "matte" or "satin," but I don't really understand flat for use on a piano, unless, perhaps, it is meant for, say, use in a theater to hide the piano so that light does not reflect off of the surface.

Anyway, the terms "painted" and the selection of finishes is what piqued my curiosity. I have seen some truly awful paint jobs on pianos that caused me to wonder, "What in the world were they thinking?!?" eek crazy These jobs were not properly "finished." (Or, properly started, methinks...) wink

--Andy

Last edited by Cinnamonbear; 01/22/14 01:01 PM.

I may not be fast,
but at least I'm slow.
A
A
One of the very first refinishing jobs I got, lo those many years ago, was a Baldwin grand circa 1930's which had been repainted every time the owner had changed the color of the living room. I found all sorts of ... unique colors as I stripped away the accumulated paint.

As to the OP question. Do you mean to use some type of house paint? lacquer?

For $200 you should plan on going down to the local paint store and buying a gallon and putting it on yourself, but if you are not very careful you will do the following:

1) paint the cabinet shut
2) get paint all over the keys
3) get paint between the keys
4) get paint on the strings
5) get paint on the action
6) ... you get the point

Anyone of the above could pretty much mean the end of the piano for any musical purpose.

It would be helpful if you would elaborate on WHY you want to do such a thing and/or plan on spending a whole lot more money.

Online Content
I’ve tried my hand at a little exterior refinishing on pianos… I’d rather be tuning or regulating the action! smile

Refinishing is hard, dirty, dusty work. It is time consuming and tedious work. However, the results can be nice… a big improvement over what you started with. The biggest thing is getting the surface prepped… if there are flaws or blemishes on the finish that is to be refinished, the flaws and blemishes with show up in the refinishing.

Of course, it is nice to have a nice finish on a piano… most folks look at it more than they play it. smile

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
S
S
$200 in China is likely going to cost about $800 or more here.

Piano Industry Consultant

Co-author (with Larry Fine) of Practical Piano Valuation
www.jasonsmc@msn.com

Contributing Editor & Consultant - Acoustic & Digital Piano Buyer

Retired owned of Jasons Music Center
Maryland/DC/No. VA
Family Owned and Operated Since 1937.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
If you start off with something like this.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

And expect something like this.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Grain filled, satin ebony, hand rubbed like a new piano expect to pay $4,000 to $5,000

Verhnjak Pianos
Specializing in the Restoration, Refinishing & Maintenance
of Fine Heirloom Pianos

www.pianoman.ca
Verhnjak Pianos Facebook

J
OP Offline
J
Thanks. I know there are different kinds of black that vary in price, from hand rubbed, to semi-gloss, to flat or satin. I was thinking something like this: take a natural wood Baldwin upright and make it a nice satin black (see pic). I'm a visual artist too so color is very important to me.

Sorry for not being specific, but hopefully that explains it a little better?

Thanks, I appreciate you guys and your knowledge.

[Linked Image]

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014
7000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014
7000 Post Club Member
John, please keep in mind that there is a very big difference between "painting" and "refinishing."

A truly fine job, as presented by Rod, is an expensive proposition. Heed his estimate.

Since you are a visual artist, why not create something which pleases you?

Marty in Minnesota

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.
T
T
Since you haven't yet bought a piano, if getting that color is very important to you I'd restrict my search to the color you are looking for. Then you could put the money that you would have spent on refinishing into your piano budget. Problem with satin is that I've seen that finish in more grand pianos than uprights, so if a gloss black upright is out of the question, it may take a while to find. Also it seems used satin black finishes tend to get more marked up than gloss.

I've refinished a piano back to its original finish. It is a lot of work and time, and I imagine would cost a lot if hired out and done properly.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by johnbarnesiii
Thanks. I know there are different kinds of black that vary in price, from hand rubbed, to semi-gloss, to flat or satin. I was thinking something like this: take a natural wood Baldwin upright and make it a nice satin black (see pic). [...]
[Linked Image]

That could get you a visit from the Oak Police, and most likely "blacklisted" by the "Natural Wood Grain Appreciation Society." eek wink

Seriously, you could not "paint" that natural finish piano and expect it to look like the ebony finish without A LOT of work (an a ton of sanding sealer, and even then...) Or, perhaps you want to see that pronounced grain under an ebony finish?

Obviously, I am still confused by the original question. crazy

--Andy

I may not be fast,
but at least I'm slow.
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
When I watch all those "Play Me" videos and the amazing finishes I wish I had one of those pianos at home...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0gzazyaYYQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1yS5MhaA2Vo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VX5QNYJJ8Dc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWC69SDTQso

... hopefully with all the keys working, that is. Maybe not a proper restoration work... but well, I quite like them!

Serious since Dec 2013. March 2014, Kawai CA95!

Time you enjoy wasting was not wasted

[Linked Image]
J
OP Offline
J
Good advice, I agree may be best to find a black one off the bat, so as to forego the whole paint job altogether. Satin black is my fave, but I guess I wouldn't be against any type of black, so long as its not natural wood color (aesthetically not my thing smile

N
N
The piano in the left photo is open grain oak, the case would need sanded to break the factory glaze but we use glazing filler if we are using a solid color like black. You would need a really big industrial air sander like a Hutchins Hustler to get all the larger areas flattened out in a reasonable amount of time, like before Jimmy Hoffa goes to his high-school reunion.

The reality of refinishing work and costs is going to depend on what EPA regulations the shop you choose has to endure. I would think California would be a nightmare on over-regulation. Equipment costs, material costs are all going up. Paint booth certifications, paint booth filters that cost as much as a mortgage and then there is knowledge of doing the job.

The average studio piano takes about 36 to 40 hours to do right, It is stripped down, masked a couple times, sanded, filled, re-sanded, primed. Satin or Flat black is merciless to get right. You cannot take a break or the individual parts will not match and you do not want to have to change from one can of paint to another in the same session. It is nothing to spend maybe 6 consecutive hours in my booth painting parts. It is also more of a problem child with blushing when humidity rises above 63%.

The other thing is when painting a piano use Lacquer over acrylic enamel. Any enamel based products will not be finger-print proof when dry and will be easily smudged.

J. Christie
Nashville Piano Rescue
www.NashvillePianoRescue.com
East Nashville
Bowling Green, KY
Scottsville KY.
Chamber of Commerce
Member/Sponsor

Putting inspiration in the hands of area musicians
Through restoration/renovation
J
OP Offline
J
Thanks for that. Btw, I just came across a piano store online that use Annie Sloan chalk paint to refinish pianos and let me tell you, they look AMAZING!
I'm considering buying one from them but I live in LA and they're in Tempe.

The cool thing is since it's a family biz, the husband is an amazing piano tech so he does all the internal work like tuning, voicing and making sure everything is perfect inside. Then the wife dies all the external work like refinishing and painting.

The pianos look so cool, I just love the satin and diffused / matte look and the colors are great, very tasteful. If I lived closer I'd go check one out but I still may consider buying one and having it shipped to LA, if I can hear some video and get a full rundown of the piano.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,282
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission