Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2218892 - 01/22/14 03:35 PM Teacher or no??
blackspaven Offline

Today I got some unfortunate news that my teacher for the last 9 months has been offered a more full time employment position and cannot carry on with lessons. I'm quite gutted, but onward and upward.

Anyway, she's left me just after the point of having learnt the circle of fifths and a few other things. Now, I get that in general it seems a good idea to have a teacher, but bearing in mind that it seems I have a lot of self study type work to go through from this juncture with regards scales, and I have books I can work from quite competently (25 years playing guitar helped learning the piano), all the teachers in my area seem to be 50% more expensive than she was, so from the opinions of others on here, is there any reason why I shouldn't just plough on with scales and exercises (taken from Albert's 'The Complete Book of Scales, Chords, Arpeggios and Cadences'... VERY helpful!) until I get proficient at them and carry on learning the classical pieces from my books until I get to the point where I feel I need another jolt?

Just thinking back to guitar lessons which I took for a year cos I was in a rut at about 13 years old and then after that I made my own way to a fairly high standard through self study.

Will go back to a teacher at some point, and would have stayed with her if mine was carrying on, but just thinking I think I could well do this bit of theory and learning the keys myself without the need for a new teacher right now.

Opinions?

(ads P/S)

Petrof Pianos

#2218901 - 01/22/14 03:39 PM Re: Teacher or no?? [Re: blackspaven]
Michael Martinez Offline

Loc: California
Forge ahead on your own until you get to a point where you're stuck or need inspiration. Also consider getting in a band, because you learn a lot playing with other musicians.

Edited by Michael Martinez (01/22/14 03:39 PM)

#2218905 - 01/22/14 03:43 PM Re: Teacher or no?? [Re: Michael Martinez]
blackspaven Offline

Fair enough, thanks. It's kind of what I was thinking of doing but I wondered if there is anything drastically different between guitar and piano that I am missing and requires a teacher constantly.

At the mo, I'm really inspired to learn and play scales, parallel, contrary motion, all that... I'm finding it quite therapeutic, so it seems I have a wealth of things to crack on with.

Just slightly concerned I may miss something technical with how the scales relate to each other or summat (ie. circle of fifths, into the flats are fourths, the relative minor is a second, etc.), but that's more a music thing than specifically piano, I guess.

#2218919 - 01/22/14 03:58 PM Re: Teacher or no?? [Re: blackspaven]
peterws Online   content
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Northern England.
Each to his own really. They tell me playing scales, contrary motion et al is beneficial if you have the time and really want to progress. At my age, I just have fun. But some of the stuff I`ve done on the ABF recitals has stretched me beyond my elastic limit . . . .and we all have only so much time.

A teacher will always encourage and hopefully guide you in an efficient manner, perhaps through the grades. That is a good incentive. I`d keep it up, but there`s no hurry. Have fun.

""

#2218942 - 01/22/14 04:25 PM Re: Teacher or no?? [Re: blackspaven]
earlofmar Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Australia
While I also enjoy playing and learning scales most people here write they should only be given a relatively small amount of your practice time - say 5 to 10 minutes per day.

That leaves a lot of time you should be doing other things most of which will be selecting and working on new pieces. There are pros and cons of having a teacher and after nine months you should be able to answer your own question if you found having one beneficial or not. That decision will also depend on your goals which I know for myself even after fourteen months are quite uncertain how far one can progress. If your goals are lofty enough then an investment in getting there to me is a no brainer.

However the self motivated adult learning can achieve quite a lot on their own and perhaps just give it some time and re-evaluate as you go.

In regards to cost you generally get what you pay for but if you can't afford the more expensive teachers you can always have fortnightly lessons or even just one a month as a short of check up on progress. Some teachers also offer 30min, 45min lessons at reduced cost.

#2218945 - 01/22/14 04:27 PM Re: Teacher or no?? [Re: peterws]
blackspaven Offline

Yeah, it's ironic bearing in mind I was a bit lazy when teaching myself guitar, and sounds perverse, but I'm getting at least as much fun out of doing scales at the moment cos I think it's the satisfaction of my fingers learning the muscle memory as to what they're meant to be doing, so fortunately for me i'm finding even the traditionally boring parts of learning great fun at the mo. smile

...obviously, sitting down and challenging myself to learn Dream Theater pieces and other new stuff is a good craic too though.

Yup, I read people suggesting how much time to allow different parts, but some days I'm playing up to 2-3 hours a day of all sorts of things without any hint of fatigue or boredom, so I have no idea how that fits into that school of thought.

I guess I wonder if it's worth learning the theory of the scale side of things so they're under my belt whilst I'm loving doing it and THEN learning the nuances and other parts of reading and playing music with the aid of a teacher to guide me, I'm just getting other people's responses, I guess.

#2218983 - 01/22/14 05:10 PM Re: Teacher or no?? [Re: blackspaven]
Oasismfg Offline

Loc: So Cal
I've played both guitar and piano for 35 years. If you got the basics from your teacher already, you'll do fine. If you're putting 2-3 hours a day, you'll advance rapidly since you already have a music background. If you want to really help solidify theory in your mind, have a go at learning some songs on the piano that you already know on guitar, and vice versa.

Here is my reply to another similar thread:
Play a C scale, at least two octaves. Next, a fifth up, play a G scale. Then another fifth up, play a D scale. But of course, that D scale doesn't really need to be an octave higher than the C you started with, the D scale right above your starting point will be fine. If you continue this pattern, it will take you through all 12 keys. It may take a few weeks to get them all down, but once you do, make it a quick part of your warm up routine, you can rip through these in a few minutes.

Then you can do the same thing with all the minor keys, if you're so inclined.

Same thing with inversions. Start with a simple C triad in the right hand, play the bass C note with your left hand, or better yet two C notes an octave apart with your left hand. Now with the right hand, play the next two inversions and end on the C triad an octave higher from where you started. Then on to the G chord, D chord, A chord, etc, playing octaves in the left hand, inversions in the right. Once you get comfortable, do it in 4/4 time and get a rhythm going. You can rip through these in a few minutes as well.

Then add minor and 7th chords if you're so inclined (highly recommended).

On to arpeggios. Again, play a C octave with your left hand and hold it. With your right hand, play C, followed by E, followed by G, in succession one at a time. Do it for three octaves up, and three octaves back down to your starting point. Then do a G arpeggio, D arpeggio, A, E, etc. Play these as triplets (count 1-2-3, 1-2-3).

If you're diligent, this whole exercise can be reduced to a 10 to 15 minute warm up routine in a month or so. If you're still unclear on what the circle of fifths is, just google it. There are plenty of charts out there that illustrate it clearly.

#2219007 - 01/22/14 05:46 PM Re: Teacher or no?? [Re: blackspaven]
Sweet06 Offline

I was the same way. I was happy as a clam doing hanon #1 when i first started... playing 2-3 hours sometimes longer per day. Now I get in about 2 a day... miss maybe two days a month and I've been going strong for a poor week or so since i've start almost a year ago! You'll progress quickly!

#2219013 - 01/22/14 05:53 PM Re: Teacher or no?? [Re: blackspaven]
Peter K. Mose Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Toronto, Ontario
You could take a one-off lesson with any teacher you wish now and again. Maybe every month or two. It's a good way to interview possible teachers also.

Another idea is to attend a summer workshop or camp for adult early-level pianists. They are often discussed here.

#2219087 - 01/22/14 07:49 PM Re: Teacher or no?? [Re: blackspaven]
Michael Martinez Offline

Originally Posted By: blackspaven
I wondered if there is anything drastically different between guitar and piano that I am missing and requires a teacher constantly.

No there's not, except for chord voicings. Obviously the piano is laid out linearly, which is simpler than a guitar. So you just need to learn some standard "chord voicings" for piano.

Quote:
Just slightly concerned I may miss something technical with how the scales relate to each other or summat (ie. circle of fifths, into the flats are fourths, the relative minor is a second, etc.), but that's more a music thing than specifically piano, I guess.

Harmony is harmony regardless of which instrument you're on. In guitar you're doing IV V Is. In piano you're doing IV V Is. In a band setting, piano and guitar are the instruments which provide the harmony. Sometimes piano even more than guitar because guitar players often play power chords (drop out the chord's 3rd) which leaves the harmony ambiguous so it's up to the keyboardist to fill it in.

But regardless of whether you play piano, sax, bass, or whatever, the music language is the same.

It's not necessary to learn and practice "scales." What's necessary is: knowing the notes of the key you're in, and knowing the chord outline superimposed on that key. In guitar you're doing a lot of pentatonic type scales. Same thing on piano(keyboard.) Transpose those guitar concepts directly onto the piano. Practicing scales up and down isn't going to get you anywhere, although it might improve your muscle coordination.

ONe of the best things you can do for learning piano is learning salsa voicings and montunos. Not necessarily the rhythm, but the way the salsa pianist plays harmony. This will actually get you a lot farther along than most other methods.

Edited by Michael Martinez (01/22/14 07:54 PM)

#2219115 - 01/22/14 08:37 PM Re: Teacher or no?? [Re: blackspaven]
RemyPianissimo Offline

Learning piano is like learning a foreign language: You can probably do it on your own and you will manage to understand what is written and to make yourself understood verbally, but you will likely speak with an accent. If you learn piano just for fun, playing with an "accent" is probably no big deal. But if you want to be a serious classical pianist for example you will definitely need professional guidance. A good teacher will hear/see improper things that you can't hear/see with your own playing, and help you get rid of them. There are much more subtle things to the music scores than the notes and the counts.

#2219298 - 01/23/14 07:53 AM Re: Teacher or no?? [Re: blackspaven]
Ragdoll Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Illinois
Quote:
Will go back to a teacher at some point, and would have stayed with her if mine was carrying on, but just thinking I think I could well do this bit of theory and learning the keys myself without the need for a new teacher right now.

@blackspaven,
I have been without a teacher since the end of Sept. and have been able to progress in many things but it does require a lot of discipline on your part. You can get blasé about daily study and practice when you have no one to give account to. (lessons)

Just be determined to discipline yourself and you can progress without a teacher for awhile (maybe forever grin). Also the quality and length of the instruction you had previously will determine how well you progress.

Never get directions from someone who hasn't been there.

Just be yourself, everyone else is already taken.

#2219338 - 01/23/14 09:16 AM Re: Teacher or no?? [Re: blackspaven]
barbaram Offline

My teacher is emigrating in a couple of months and I am going through the same thought process.
I definitely want to find a replacement teacher for my children, but the right teacher for my (beginner) kids is not necessarily the right teacher for me. On the other hand, our current set up is so convenient, as the teacher comes to our house and we have our lessons one after the other. Life is very busy, so efficient use of time is a major consideration!

#2219347 - 01/23/14 09:30 AM Re: Teacher or no?? [Re: barbaram]
Morodiene Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
Originally Posted By: barbaram
My teacher is emigrating in a couple of months and I am going through the same thought process.
I definitely want to find a replacement teacher for my children, but the right teacher for my (beginner) kids is not necessarily the right teacher for me. On the other hand, our current set up is so convenient, as the teacher comes to our house and we have our lessons one after the other. Life is very busy, so efficient use of time is a major consideration!
It's interesting that you feel it necessary for your children to have a teacher, but not you. Go ahead and stop lessons for yourself for a while and see how it goes. When you're no longer happy, then begin the search for a teacher for you.

Do not expect to find one to come to the home and teach both children and adults and do it cheaply. Chances are you will have to drive your children to one teacher, and yourself to yours at another time of the week.
Petrof 9'2 Concert, Yamaha G3, Roland FP-7, Yamaha MOX6, Kawai MP11

#2219444 - 01/23/14 12:25 PM Re: Teacher or no?? [Re: blackspaven]
piano_deb Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Memphis, TN
blackspaven, you might want to look into taking lessons via skype. That would allow you to work with a teacher anywhere in the world, avoiding the issues of local pricing/availability.

Btw, I've started to fall in love with playing scales now that I'm really getting the hang of it. It's strangely challenging and relaxing at the same time. And I do believe that developing muscle memory (not to mention the ear training that occurs) is invaluable.

barbaram, a skype-based teacher might work for you, too, but not for the kids I imagine. Then again, kids are pretty computer-oriented these days, so it would depend on their age, personality, playing level.

Good luck, both of you!

#2219458 - 01/23/14 12:45 PM Re: Teacher or no?? [Re: Michael Martinez]
R_B Offline

Originally Posted By: Michael Martinez
I wondered if there is anything drastically different between guitar and piano that I am missing and requires a teacher constantly.

No there's not, except for chord voicings. Obviously the piano is laid out linearly, which is simpler than a guitar. So you just need to learn some standard "chord voicings" for piano.

Quote:

Harmony is harmony regardless of which instrument you're on. In guitar you're doing IV V Is. In piano you're doing IV V Is. In a band setting, piano and guitar are the instruments which provide the harmony. Sometimes piano even more than guitar because guitar players often play power chords (drop out the chord's 3rd) which leaves the harmony ambiguous so it's up to the keyboardist to fill it in.

But regardless of whether you play piano, sax, bass, or whatever, the music language is the same.

It's not necessary to learn and practice "scales." What's necessary is: knowing the notes of the key you're in, and knowing the chord outline superimposed on that key. In guitar you're doing a lot of pentatonic type scales. Same thing on piano(keyboard.) Transpose those guitar concepts directly onto the piano. Practicing scales up and down isn't going to get you anywhere, although it might improve your muscle coordination.

ONe of the best things you can do for learning piano is learning salsa voicings and montunos. Not necessarily the rhythm, but the way the salsa pianist plays harmony. This will actually get you a lot farther along than most other methods.

Just to support MM's point on harmony.
Check out some jazz, blues & improvisational tutorials too.
I particularly like Bill Hilton's videos, but there are others that you might prefer.

Until you have confidence enough to play with other people get some practice playing with VIRTUAL other band members - garage band if you are a mac user or band in a box if you do PCs.
This can improve your harmony knowledge too, since you will be following lead sheets and probably writing them too.
Progressions... progress, learn to hear/feel where they are going to go to next.

#2219471 - 01/23/14 01:12 PM Re: Teacher or no?? [Re: Morodiene]
barbaram Offline

Originally Posted By: Morodiene
It's interesting that you feel it necessary for your children to have a teacher, but not you. Go ahead and stop lessons for yourself for a while and see how it goes. When you're no longer happy, then begin the search for a teacher for you.

My children are just beginning and without the structure they won't continue in any meaningful way. If I want them to learn then they need a teacher.
I'm a returning player with a very solid musical education behind me. I very much benefit from having a teacher, but not having one won't stop me playing.

Do not expect to find one to come to the home and teach both children and adults and do it cheaply.

Agreed. This is what I have now, but it's a trade off. She's not really the right teacher for me, but it's the convenience that makes it possible at all. (I'm very happy with her as a teacher for the kids.)

Chances are you will have to drive your children to one teacher, and yourself to yours at another time of the week.

Practically speaking, I just won't be able to make that commitment for myself - I can't ever be guaranteed child free except when I'm in work. If we need to do it for the children though, it's a lot less problematic.

#2220316 - 01/25/14 12:00 AM Re: Teacher or no?? [Re: blackspaven]
Bobpickle Offline

Gold Supporter until July 10  2014

Loc: Cameron Park, California
is there any reason why I shouldn't just plough on with scales and exercises (taken from Albert's 'The Complete Book of Scales, Chords, Arpeggios and Cadences'... VERY helpful!) until I get proficient at them and carry on learning the classical pieces from my books until I get to the point where I feel I need another jolt?

Practicing scales and exercises outside of the context of pieces (unless advised by a teacher or professional for a specific technical purpose) is time inefficiently spent unless your end-goal is just simply to be able to play your scales with the one fingering (that may or may not be useful in pieces you try or are trying to learn). Forum member Richard (zrtf90) wrote a couple terrific posts on the topic in this thread: http://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubbthrea...tml#Post2192307

and I have plenty of other supplementary resources on the topic, as well, if you'd like them

#2221309 - 01/27/14 08:13 AM Re: Teacher or no?? [Re: blackspaven]
4evrBeginR Offline
1000 Post Club Member

It's always good to have guidance even if it is not on a regular basis. I think if you could find someone willing to provide one-off consultative lessons, that would be better than just dropping lessons all together.

#2221445 - 01/27/14 12:47 PM Re: Teacher or no?? [Re: blackspaven]
Daniel Corban Offline

Loc: Canada
I practice scales, but only the scales relevant to my current position in my method book. For example, I am currently at the D major section of the book, so I practice that scale. I find it very helpful.

#2221466 - 01/27/14 01:33 PM Re: Teacher or no?? [Re: blackspaven]
Sweet06 Offline

@bobpickle
Is that why my teacher tells me we will learn scales on an as you need basis? I pester him about it sometimes (my dad gets on my case for not doing scales) and he always says they are boring and we'll learn them as we need them.

#2221469 - 01/27/14 01:40 PM Re: Teacher or no?? [Re: blackspaven]
zrtf90 Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Ireland (ex England)
Ooh, thanks, Bob! (Cheque's in the mail. LOL!)

Beginning to recognise your new avatar. Happy New Year! smile

#2221678 - 01/27/14 09:33 PM Re: Teacher or no?? [Re: Sweet06]
Bobpickle Offline

Gold Supporter until July 10  2014

Loc: Cameron Park, California
Originally Posted By: Sweet06
@bobpickle
Is that why my teacher tells me we will learn scales on an as you need basis? I pester him about it sometimes (my dad gets on my case for not doing scales) and he always says they are boring and we'll learn them as we need them.

At the end of the day scales are just one of many techniques needed to tackle the various pieces that comprise the instrument's repertoire. Pretend for a minute that scales were instead a passage of a random Beethoven sonata. Would it make sense to practice that out of context when you may or may not be encountering that same passage (with the same fingering and all) in the near future? Of course not. And chances are, without learning the entirety of the piece from which the passage was derived, you'll soon grow bored of practicing just the passage on a regular basis, which in turn will ultimately result in a diminished technique for playing it (meaning that little resulted from the whole endeavor other than wasted time).

The best approach for acquiring technique is pragmatically on an as-needed basis. Logic is valuable as a tool to a teacher, but not as a resource for a student.

#2221682 - 01/27/14 09:50 PM Re: Teacher or no?? [Re: blackspaven]
Sweet06 Offline

Thank you so much. That really confirms my suspicions that I lucked out getting a really great teacher right off the bat!

#2224282 - 02/01/14 04:33 PM Re: Teacher or no?? [Re: blackspaven]
LS35A Offline

Loc: Hayden, ID
I'm using this method without a teacher and don't really feel the need for one.

http://fundamentalkeys.com/index.html

#2224301 - 02/01/14 05:35 PM Re: Teacher or no?? [Re: blackspaven]
MaryBee Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Cleveland, OH
I heard an interview with Leon Fleisher on the radio today. He said that the most important roles of a teacher are to teach the student how to learn and to teach them how to make their own informed musical decisions.

Looking back, I can now see that when I started lessons (after many years of self-teaching), this was where I desperately needed help. Sheer luck brought me to a teacher who clearly has this same viewpoint, and working with him has helped me accomplish things I never could have done alone.

But if you've already gotten a good background of learning how to learn and understanding the musical language, being on your own for now might not be a hindrance. I'm sure you'll feel it if it comes to a point that you're stalled, or something seems lacking, and know then that you need a teacher.

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
European Piano Party 2014, Picts & Stories! (Piano Party in Portugal)
-------------------
75,000 Members and Growing!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(ad) Purely Piano Practice Software
Purely Piano Practice Software
(ad) Piano Guide Lessons
Piano Guide Lessons
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
143 registered (ajames, A Flat Minor, AndrewAJC, Abby Pianoman, 41 invisible), 1737 Guests and 16 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75385 Members
42 Forums
155848 Topics
2288538 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Learning Chopin's Piano Concerto No. 1
by neuralfirings
07/14/14 09:56 AM
Axus DPs?
by LarryShone
07/14/14 07:50 AM
Single: Every Moment With You (Orchestra Version)
by Darkreach
07/14/14 07:04 AM
Heal The World - Michael Jackson Piano
by Phuc Pham
07/14/14 05:00 AM
Lorin Maazel (1930-2014)
by bennevis
07/14/14 05:00 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission