2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
66 members (36251, anotherscott, Bellyman, Carey, brennbaer, busa, ChickenBrother, 10 invisible), 2,074 guests, and 317 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Hi!
Can someone recommend very high quality recordings of Beethoven Sonatas (and symphonies too are welcomed)?
By that of course I mean no hiss...etc.
Thanks!

PS Before any purist tries to put me down for putting audio quality above performance quality, I have my reason for this request and it is my choice to what I prefer to listen to in any case.

A
A
Do you want youtube recordings, DVD/CDs (which are usually good quality), or either?

P
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
P
If your only requirement is high-quality recording, no hiss, etc, then most recordings from the last 20 years should satisfy you. Choose whatever one.

Poetry is rhythm
P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P
The more recent, the better. Unless, of course, you want actual quality, but that's not what you asked for, is it.

Regards,

Polyphonist
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Somehow I knew this will turn out this way...not surprising.

500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by A Guy
Do you want youtube recordings, DVD/CDs (which are usually good quality), or either?

CDs as I would like to rip to flac after wards.

A
A
Originally Posted by shaolin95
rip to flac after wards.

Sorry not quite sure what this means, but if I hear any good quality recordings I'll be sure to post.

Edit: I understand now smile

Last edited by A Guy; 01/24/14 01:27 AM.
P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P

You asked the question. And you got an answer.

Regards,

Polyphonist
A
A
If you can afford this, it's really great I heard: it has more than the sonatas, though, and is very expensive... http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00000G405

Here's another more affordable choice: http://www.deutschegrammophon.com/en/cat/4777958

Last edited by A Guy; 01/24/14 01:39 AM.
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
I like Gilels, but he died before completing all 32. The remastered version that you can get on CD sounds pretty good. Does anybody know if Bruno Leonardo Gelber recorded the 32?

For the symphonies, I actually really like John Eliot Gardiner!

Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
Along with many critics, I like (and have) the Richard Goode recordings of the Beethoven Sonatas, complete on 10 CD's. Recorded by Nonesuch Elektra in the early 1990s, the sound quality is excellent.

I like Roger Norrington's Beethoven Symphonies on Angel/EMI with the London Classical Players. These are not "massive" interpretations of Beethoven, but, rather, period performances giving clarity of detail sometimes lost when performed by large forces.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
B
B
Hi!
Can someone recommend very high quality recordings of Beethoven Sonatas (and symphonies too are welcomed)?
Thanks!

You definitely want a recent digital recording, in that case.

I can recommend Louis Lortie's on Chandos (he plays on Steinway, and Fazioli for the latest recordings) for the sonatas.
As for the symphonies, there's Simon Rattle's with the Wiener Philharmoniker, one of the best of big-band Beethoven around.

If music be the food of love, play on!
W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
W
For the symphonies, Sir Charles Mackerras with the Scottish Chamber Orchestra, on Hyperion. Absolutely electrifying and "in your face" interpretations (as this music should be, IMO).

500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Polyphonist

Whatever! Move on, I dont need your attitude or opinion.

If you can afford this, it's really great I heard: it has more than the sonatas, though, and is very expensive... http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00000G405

Here's another more affordable choice: http://www.deutschegrammophon.com/en/cat/4777958

Awesome, surely will check the cheaper one but that other one....now got me thinking, expensive but then again, it is such a wonderful gift to myself smile
Originally Posted by Orange Soda King
I like Gilels, but he died before completing all 32. The remastered version that you can get on CD sounds pretty good. Does anybody know if Bruno Leonardo Gelber recorded the 32?

What a shame he could not complete them but still I will look for it too!
Thanks!
Originally Posted by BruceD
Along with many critics, I like (and have) the Richard Goode recordings of the Beethoven Sonatas, complete on 10 CD's. Recorded by Nonesuch Elektra in the early 1990s, the sound quality is excellent.

I like Roger Norrington's Beethoven Symphonies on Angel/EMI with the London Classical Players. These are not "massive" interpretations of Beethoven, but, rather, period performances giving clarity of detail sometimes lost when performed by large forces.

Regards,

Excellent, another one for my research! Thanks smile
Originally Posted by bennevis
Hi!
Thanks!

You definitely want a recent digital recording, in that case.

I can recommend Louis Lortie's on Chandos (he plays on Steinway, and Fazioli for the latest recordings) for the sonatas.
As for the symphonies, there's Simon Rattle's with the Wiener Philharmoniker, one of the best of big-band Beethoven around.

Great! Thank you for taking the time ! smile

Thanks to all of you (well almost all of you but this is the internet so it comes with the territory lol_)!

I should have enough now to get what I wanted.

Regards! smile

P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P

Whatever! Move on, I dont need your opinion.

Funnily enough, when someone posts here asking questions, they usually do. Not sure what your purpose was in posting, but I don't care to look into the matter any more closely.

Regards,

Polyphonist
S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
It's worth investigating Paul Lewis who recorded the whole set a few years' back. I've heard his performances live and his is an interesting interpretation: more classical than romantic, very clear playing. Can't comment on the CD recording quality of course. He is a formidable performer: heard his Brahms 1st concerto live - very powerful, but with great control of the feelings and structure.

Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
[...]

My caveat concerning the Schabel recordings is that they could not have been made later than the 40's, before the age of high fidelity and long before stereo, so they may not meet the OP's primary criterion of good sound quality.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
Schiff has some very well recorded Beethoven on ecm. No comment regarding the quality of the performance though.

Online Content

I like Gilels for everything by anyone. He's probably in my top five pianists of all time.

I don't know much about conducting or orchestral music but my friend, who has been a choral conductor for over 50 years, thinks Gardiner is sensational.

Online Content
I think Goode is a sensational pianist for Beethoven and many other composers like Bach, Chopin, and Debussy. He once said something like "I think each Beethoven Sonata has a personality and out of all of them the one I'd like to meet most in Op. 101.

B
B
Originally Posted by pianoloverus

I like Gilels for everything by anyone. He's probably in my top five pianists of all time.

I don't know much about conducting or orchestral music but my friend, who has been a choral conductor for over 50 years, thinks Gardiner is sensational.

Some of Gilels's best Beethoven Sonata recordings (Waldstein, Appassionata etc) are pre-digital and have tape hiss, which the OP doesn't want. And his later digital ones are somewhat on the marmoreal side - the Hammerklavier is stodgy, the Op. 31/1 lacks wit, and so on.

Gardiner's is one of the best HIP recordings of the symphonies, lean and lithe. Personally, I prefer modern instruments for Mozart and Beethoven, as long as they aren't used in dated style of Furtwängler, as in Christian Thielemann's recordings with the Wiener Philharmoniker.

500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member

Funnily enough, when someone posts here asking questions, they usually do. Not sure what your purpose was in posting, but I don't care to look into the matter any more closely.

Obviously you have reading comprehension problems. I cant help you with that.
Thanks
Originally Posted by sandalholme
It's worth investigating Paul Lewis who recorded the whole set a few years' back. I've heard his performances live and his is an interesting interpretation: more classical than romantic, very clear playing. Can't comment on the CD recording quality of course. He is a formidable performer: heard his Brahms 1st concerto live - very powerful, but with great control of the feelings and structure.

Thanks for the recommendation!
As I learn more about all 32 Sonatas I realize how different indeed performances can be for example take Sonata in C Major, Opus 2, No. 3 adagio. Some pianists are able to hit me very deep during a transition (dont remember the exact measure) while others just dont grab me at all...and its all on small details on how it is played and even the approach before getting to those notes.
Originally Posted by beeboss
Schiff has some very well recorded Beethoven on ecm. No comment regarding the quality of the performance though.

Will check that too. I might end up mixing and matching since I assume some will do things on some Sonatas better than others or more than "better", things that touch me personally in a different way.

I have been reading about that recently and indeed that is what I have been finding out too!
I think Goode is a sensational pianist for Beethoven and many other composers like Bach, Chopin, and Debussy. He once said something like "I think each Beethoven Sonata has a personality and out of all of them the one I'd like to meet most in Op. 101.

Now that made me curious...I listening to it immediately! smile

Some of Gilels's best Beethoven Sonata recordings (Waldstein, Appassionata etc) are pre-digital and have tape hiss, which the OP doesn't want. And his later digital ones are somewhat on the marmoreal side - the Hammerklavier is stodgy, the Op. 31/1 lacks wit, and so on.

Gardiner's is one of the best HIP recordings of the symphonies, lean and lithe. Personally, I prefer modern instruments for Mozart and Beethoven, as long as they aren't used in dated style of Fürtwangler, as in Christian Thielemann's recordings with the Wiener Philharmoniker.

Interesting indeed. I guess hiss is not totally out of the question as I do listen to oldies from 60s, 70s (before I was born) etc and many of those songs have hiss although of course, with a piano solo, the hiss becomes more evident but yes, I am looking first for ones that are clean and hopefully will find a good collection of great performances that are not only good sounding but moving as well.

Thanks all again!

P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P

Obviously you have reading comprehension problems.

Yes, that must be it.

Regards,

Polyphonist

I'll fill in here. I have all 32 of Schiff's Beethoven Sonatas and they are fantastic. Be sure to check out his 32 lectures on each sonata as well which can be found here:

http://music.theguardian.com/classical/page/0,,1943867,00.html

Danzas Argentinas, Alberto Ginastera
Piano Sonata Hob. XVI: 34 in E Minor, Franz Joseph Haydn
Nocturne, Op. 15 No. 1 in F Major, Frédéric Chopin
Prelude, Op. 11 No. 4 in E Minor, Alexander Scriabin
Prelude and Fugue in G Major, Well-Tempered Clavier Vol. 2, Johann Sebastian Bach
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Roland The Beagle

I'll fill in here. I have all 32 of Schiff's Beethoven Sonatas and they are fantastic. Be sure to check out his 32 lectures on each sonata as well which can be found here:

http://music.theguardian.com/classical/page/0,,1943867,00.html

Excellent. Thanks for the link! smile

A
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
A

Gardiner's is one of the best HIP recordings of the symphonies, lean and lithe.

Agree with you both, that is a fabulous set, and I'm generally not much in the historical instruments camp.

And you know what is so great about Gardiner's 5th? He takes the repeat in the last movement, and makes us realize that Beethoven all along knew what he was doing. It takes my breath away.

Don't laugh: this repeat is not often taken. Karajan could never be bothered, though Carlos Kleiber (a far greater musician, and not only IMO) never questioned it.
Personally, I prefer modern instruments for Mozart and Beethoven, as long as they aren't used in dated style of Furtwängler...

I prefer modern instruments, but Furtwängler IMO isn't dated at all. There is always a place for olde world grandeur -throw in Walter and Klemperer- and wouldn't we be poorer today without their example.

As for Beethoven piano sonatas, overall it's Richard Goode, though I have heard a number of recordings by Paul Lewis on the radio, and have found them very impressive.

Jason
S
S
You can check the Penguin Guide to CDs on Classical Music to see who the rosette winners are. Those of stereo recorded (if not digital) should meet your expectations of audio quality. Certainly these artists (e.g. Kempff, Kovacevich, Gilels, Pletnev, etc.) are themselves experts of Beethoven piano sonatas/concertos.

B
B
Originally Posted by argerichfan
Personally, I prefer modern instruments for Mozart and Beethoven, as long as they aren't used in dated style of Furtwängler...

I prefer modern instruments, but Furtwängler IMO isn't dated at all. There is always a place for olde world grandeur -throw in Walter and Klemperer- and wouldn't we be poorer today without their example.

IMO, only Furtwängler could get away - some of the time - with what Furtwängler does in Beethoven. The problem comes when modern conductors attempt to imitate his kind of freedom (I don't mean Pletnev - his version is also very free, but quite unlike Furtwängler's).

BTW, Klemperer's Philharmonia recordings was the Beethoven set I grew up with. It was a shock to the system when I heard Karajan's set (and Kleiber's 5th, 6th and 7th - very fast, lean and mean...... wink ).

R
R
I am really quite surprised that no one has mentioned the legendary Alfred Brendel. I am planning to purchase his recordings of the 32 Beethoven piano sonatas.

Any comments about Brendel?

P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P
Yes, I have plenty of comments.

Regards,

Polyphonist
A
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
A

We know.

I have read all of Brendel's writings in English (my French is passable, German not so much), and I think he is brilliant. So many moments of 'gee I hadn't thought of it that way!', and many other moments wherein I found myself agreeing with him, viz Liszt > Rachmaninov. (No contest there, I didn't need Brendel's approval.)

I have also seen Brendel live many times (generally in London when I was at uni), and it was hit or miss. His Bach, Liszt and Busoni were incredible, Beethoven and Schubert less so. Just one example, Brendel's Schubert D845 -long a favourite of mine- was dispatched in a rather perfunctory fashion.

Frustrating.

Jason
P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P

We know.

I have read all of Brendel's writings in English (my French is passable, German not so much), and I think he is brilliant. So many moments of 'gee I hadn't thought of it that way!', and many other moments wherein I found myself agreeing with him, viz Liszt > Rachmaninov. (No contest there, I didn't need Brendel's approval.)

You really do feel the need to pull this into every post, don't you, even when it's totally irrelevant.

Regards,

Polyphonist
P
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
P

What comments do you have? I'm interested.

Poetry is rhythm
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by phantomFive

I don't think I've ever seen Polyphonist post more than two sentences at a time. grin

A
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
A

You really do feel the need to pull this into every post...

Hardly. I haven't mentioned your precious god in a little while, have I?
even when it's totally irrelevant.

Quite relevant considering that Brendel seems to disagree with you re Rachmaninov.

Jason
P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by JoelW

I don't think I've ever seen Polyphonist post more than two sentences at a time. grin

I think that's a slight exaggeration. ha

You really do feel the need to pull this into every post...

Hardly. I haven't mentioned your precious god in a little while, have I?

I will not be sucked into replying any further to your puerile instigation. Discussion over.

Regards,

Polyphonist
A
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
A

I will not be sucked into replying any further to your puerile instigation. Discussion over.

Serious?

What a bloody joke you are.

Jason
P
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
P

lol then reply to me! Seriously, I want to know what you have to say.

Poetry is rhythm
P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P

lol then reply to me! Seriously, I want to know what you have to say.

I'm afraid that's a misquote. grin

I'm reluctant to go on my Brendel rant here for various reasons.

Regards,

Polyphonist
A
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
A

I'm reluctant to go on my Brendel rant here for various reasons.

Tell us, Poly, in your infinite wisdom. I'm sure we can take it.

Earlier, I had expressed some doubts about Brendel's Beethoven and Schubert, but evidently there seems to be a more fundamental problem here, that being one paragraph of Brendel's writing having more substance than the 20 or 30 posts we endure from you on this board per day.

Jason
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,387
Posts3,349,212
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission