Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 18 of 19 < 1 2 ... 16 17 18 19 >
Topic Options
#2269730 - 05/01/14 05:17 PM Re: Ravenscroft by VI Labs… First Look and Sound [Re: HisKidd]
TheodorN Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Helsingborg, Sweden
Thank you PianoManChuck, also saw your video on the Casio forums, very helpful. It's great that you always switch between the voices after a few seconds, short phrases are fresher in memory than longer ones.

http://www.youtube.com/user/thenorbass1

(ads) Sweetwater / Roland
Yamaha Keyboards for Performance and Composition

Click Here

#2270271 - 05/02/14 04:25 PM Re: Ravenscroft by VI Labs… First Look and Sound [Re: HisKidd]
PianoManChuck Offline

Loc: Los Angeles, California
For those interested in how the Kawai VPC1 was modified... part of this video demonstrates what's done by Ravenworks Design (the new, digital division of Ravenworks Piano). The video actually discusses Ravenscroft at NAMM 2014, talks about the acoustic model 275 (9' concert grand), talks about Ravenscroft by VI Labs, talks about the action on both the acoustic and digital (VPC1) keys.

Its a bit lengthy, but for those interested solely in the VPC1 modification, skip to 11:30 in the video, then come back and watch the entire video some time at your leisure. Here's the link:

http://youtu.be/BUC0xU7OX54

Enjoy.

#2270330 - 05/02/14 06:30 PM Re: Ravenscroft by VI Labs… First Look and Sound [Re: HisKidd]
toddy Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Portugal
That's fascinating - thanks for your video link, PianoManChuck. The work done on the VPC reminds me of what some folk get up to with (cheap) Chinese condenser microphones from companies like MXL etc. They strip out some standard parts and insert high spec ones: capsule, capacitors, maybe transistors. And you end up with a U87 for under 300 dollars - that sort of thing.

There's a lot of it about....they call it modding. But I think I'll stick with the standard stuff. It's good enough for what I want at the moment!

Reaper / NI Komplete 9 /Kontakt 5// EWQL Sym Choirs/ Sym Orchestra Silver/ MOR2
Mics: SP B1 & MXL V67g/ Alesis MicTube Preamp/ Xenyx302/ Yamaha HS7s .

"Only a fool is fooled" pv88, All Fools' Day 2014.

#2270335 - 05/02/14 06:39 PM Re: Ravenscroft by VI Labs… First Look and Sound [Re: HisKidd]
Vid Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Vancouver, B.C.
Very interesting stuff about the VPC1 modifications. I am very curious now to find out what the modified action feels like.

Thanks for sharing!

#2270524 - 05/03/14 11:35 AM Re: Ravenscroft by VI Labs… First Look and Sound [Re: HisKidd]
Chrisl Offline

Loc: Chicago, IL
I've been trying for awhile to find a way to play soft keys on my P105 and RC. I just saw this video of TKeys by VI: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hd3JRyd9FCA
I'm starting to learn crescendo and decrescendo and it's near impossibl.

There is the option of "velocity threshold" that seems to do just this. But with RC and the UVI, I don't see this option. Anyone know if this can be done?

Also, I asked awhile ago, but can't find the reply. Can someone tell me again how to backup the settings?

Thanks!
Chris

New sound setup: Midi out to macbook, FW 800 to Metric Halo LIO 8 DAC to HD650's. Very Nice.

#2270558 - 05/03/14 01:42 PM Re: Ravenscroft by VI Labs… First Look and Sound [Re: Chrisl]
dmd Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pennsylvania
Originally Posted By: Chrisl
There is the option of "velocity threshold" that seems to do just this. But with RC and the UVI, I don't see this option. Anyone know if this can be done?

If you "open midi panel", using the icon on the right side between the tuning fork and the gear ... you will see a velocity curve. That is a midi signal IN/OUT curve. You can bend that curve so that the beginning of the curve lies flat on the bottom at the beginning. That will cause MIDI IN values to result in ZERO MIDI OUT signals ... which means you will not generate a sound when you press a key at those low velocities. This might do what you wish.

Current: ES7, Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 audio device, SennHeiser HD555 Phones, Focal CMS 40 Powered Monitors, Ravenscroft275, Ivory II American Concert D, Pianoteq 5

#2271392 - 05/05/14 11:21 AM Re: Ravenscroft by VI Labs… First Look and Sound [Re: dmd]
Chrisl Offline

Originally Posted By: dmd

If you "open midi panel", using the icon on the right side between the tuning fork and the gear ... you will see a velocity curve. That is a midi signal IN/OUT curve. You can bend that curve so that the beginning of the curve lies flat on the bottom at the beginning. That will cause MIDI IN values to result in ZERO MIDI OUT signals ... which means you will not generate a sound when you press a key at those low velocities. This might do what you wish.

Don, I've been out of the state so I can't try this yet. I did play around with this and didn't think it made a difference. I'll go back and play again with the v. curve. Thanks for the help!
Chris

New sound setup: Midi out to macbook, FW 800 to Metric Halo LIO 8 DAC to HD650's. Very Nice.

#2271451 - 05/05/14 02:04 PM Re: Ravenscroft by VI Labs… First Look and Sound [Re: Chrisl]
dmd Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Don, I've been out of the state so I can't try this yet. I did play around with this and didn't think it made a difference. I'll go back and play again with the v. curve. Thanks for the help!
Chris

It absolutely works. Bend it down as far as you can and you will certainly see a difference.

Current: ES7, Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 audio device, SennHeiser HD555 Phones, Focal CMS 40 Powered Monitors, Ravenscroft275, Ivory II American Concert D, Pianoteq 5

#2272666 - 05/08/14 07:31 AM Re: Ravenscroft by VI Labs… First Look and Sound [Re: dmd]
Chrisl Offline

I got it to work, Thank You dmd!
Chris

#2273876 - 05/11/14 07:42 AM Re: Ravenscroft by VI Labs… First Look and Sound [Re: Chrisl]
Luis Ferreira Offline

I purchased this library at the pre-release price and I am willing to sell it. If anyone is interested, please send me a PM.

#2273936 - 05/11/14 10:39 AM Re: Ravenscroft by VI Labs… First Look and Sound [Re: Luis Ferreira]
dire tonic Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: uk south
Originally Posted By: Luis Ferreira
I purchased this library at the pre-release price and I am willing to sell it. If anyone is interested, please send me a PM.

- hopefully, the lucky bargain hunter will feed back the agreed price in the DIGITAL PIANO "PRICES PAID" thread....

#2273941 - 05/11/14 10:49 AM Re: Ravenscroft by VI Labs… First Look and Sound [Re: dire tonic]
dmd Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: dire tonic

- hopefully, the lucky bargain hunter will feed back the agreed price in the DIGITAL PIANO "PRICES PAID" thread....

I am not sure that it would be wise to begin filling that useful thread with endless postings about "deals" between users of used equipment. I would vote against that. Especially, since in this case, it isn't what one expects to find in a thread about digital pianos. It is software.

Edited by dmd (05/11/14 10:50 AM)

#2273944 - 05/11/14 10:53 AM Re: Ravenscroft by VI Labs… First Look and Sound [Re: dmd]
dire tonic Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I am not sure that it would be wise to begin filling that useful thread with endless postings about "deals" between users of used equipment. I would vote against that. Especially, since in this case, it isn't what one expects to find in a thread about digital pianos. It is software.

- the info and that post would be in the PRICES PAID thread, no need for 'endless' postings.

#2273950 - 05/11/14 11:02 AM Re: Ravenscroft by VI Labs… First Look and Sound [Re: dire tonic]
dmd Offline
1000 Post Club Member

- the info and that post would be in the PRICES PAID thread, no need for 'endless' postings.

You mean, just this once, and never do it again ?

#2273952 - 05/11/14 11:04 AM Re: Ravenscroft by VI Labs… First Look and Sound [Re: dmd]
dire tonic Offline
1000 Post Club Member

You mean, just this once, and never do it again ?

No, that's not what I mean.

#2273954 - 05/11/14 11:09 AM Re: Ravenscroft by VI Labs… First Look and Sound [Re: dire tonic]
dmd Offline
1000 Post Club Member

No, that's not what I mean.

Well, I must be missing something. What do you mean, then ?

I do not understand.

It sounds like you wish to have the price of the Ravenscroft software, as paid by a user to another user, into the Digital Pianos PRICES PAID thread. Isn't that what you mean't ?

#2273955 - 05/11/14 11:10 AM Re: Ravenscroft by VI Labs… First Look and Sound [Re: HisKidd]
PianoManChuck Offline

Loc: Los Angeles, California
This thread is about "Ravenscroft by VI Labs... first look and sound".

What does selling or buying a copy have to do with this thread? Now if someone bought a copy, tried it out (first look and sound) and isn't happy with it or wants to sell it, perhaps it might be fitting to explain their reasoning in this thread.

#2273959 - 05/11/14 11:17 AM Re: Ravenscroft by VI Labs… First Look and Sound [Re: PianoManChuck]
dmd Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: PianoManChuck
This thread is about "Ravenscroft by VI Labs... first look and sound".

What does selling or buying a copy have to do with this thread? Now if someone bought a copy, tried it out (first look and sound) and isn't happy with it or wants to sell it, perhaps it might be fitting to explain their reasoning in this thread.

I agree. But this sort of thing happens all the time.

For example, back a ways in this thread ... it veered off into a discussion about modifying the VPC1 in some manner. Certainly related to the Ravenscroft software (slightly) but not really properly placed within this thread, in my opinion. And, of course, everyone has an opinion.

#2273962 - 05/11/14 11:19 AM Re: Ravenscroft by VI Labs… First Look and Sound [Re: dmd]
dire tonic Offline
1000 Post Club Member

The ‘Prices Paid’ thread is about price discovery for new and used items. In short, it’s knowledge which can help establish a fair price. I’m suggesting that the price paid be listed in the Prices Paid thread.

Shocking, I know.

#2273971 - 05/11/14 11:32 AM Re: Ravenscroft by VI Labs… First Look and Sound [Re: dire tonic]
dmd Offline
1000 Post Club Member

The ‘Prices Paid’ thread is about price discovery for new and used items.

Well, the title says DIGITAL PIANOS Prices Paid. I assume that means for digital pianos only. I do not recall ever seeing anything other than digital pianos in that thread. I might be wrong. Please correct me if so.

Quote:
I’m suggesting that the price paid be listed in the Prices Paid thread.

Well, that is where I suggest that starting a precedent like that may not be a good idea. Perhaps a PM to the seller asking for that information might be more suitable.

Not a biggie, just my opinion.

Edited by dmd (05/11/14 11:32 AM)

#2273976 - 05/11/14 11:47 AM Re: Ravenscroft by VI Labs… First Look and Sound [Re: dmd]
dire tonic Offline
1000 Post Club Member

The ‘Prices Paid’ thread is about price discovery for new and used items.

Well, the title says DIGITAL PIANOS Prices Paid. I assume that means for digital pianos only. I do not recall ever seeing anything other than digital pianos in that thread. I might be wrong. Please correct me if so.

Why does it matter?

Quote:
Quote:
I’m suggesting that the price paid be listed in the Prices Paid thread.

Well, that is where I suggest that starting a precedent like that may not be a good idea. Perhaps a PM to the seller asking for that information might be more suitable.

Who would send the PM? And why to the seller rather than the buyer? And if neither seller nor buyer wish to divulge?

The forum is, hopefully, about the open exchange of information. If a seller or buyer of a pre-used software piano wants to volunteer info about the price paid, I hope s/he will do that... and in the proper place.

#2273988 - 05/11/14 12:12 PM Re: Ravenscroft by VI Labs… First Look and Sound [Re: HisKidd]
Luis Ferreira Offline

You are right. This is not a marketplace and the quality of this forum is due to the open and honest discussion about Digital Pianos and their relatives like sound libraries as discussed in this thread. This said, let me express my disapointment regarding this Library. I cannot get it working with acceptable latency and stability in windows 7/8 as compared to other competitors like Vintage D or Pianoteq. Tried multiple Asio soundcards and versions of windows. I just regret the money I spent on this. However this is my opinion that results from my frustration in trying to get a way of making this product useful for my regular practice.

#2273994 - 05/11/14 12:22 PM Re: Ravenscroft by VI Labs… First Look and Sound [Re: Luis Ferreira]
dmd Offline
1000 Post Club Member

You are right. This is not a marketplace and the quality of this forum is due to the open and honest discussion about Digital Pianos and their relatives like sound libraries as discussed in this thread. This said, let me express my disapointment regarding this Library. I cannot get it working with acceptable latency and stability in windows 7/8 as compared to other competitors like Vintage D or Pianoteq. Tried multiple Asio soundcards and versions of windows. I just regret the money I spent on this. However this is my opinion that results from my frustration in trying to get a way of making this product useful for my regular practice.

Well, this may not be very useful ...

However, I am using Windows 7 with the Ravenscroft product and experienced absolutely no noticeable latency at all. Of course, there are many other variables (computer speed, RAM, audio device, etc ...) that can contribute to a latency problem. I just want to let you know that the problem may not be with the software.

However, your experience is your experience and you have to do what you feel is best for your situation.

Good Luck

#2274000 - 05/11/14 12:29 PM Re: Ravenscroft by VI Labs… First Look and Sound [Re: dire tonic]
dmd Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Why does it matter?

Well, it matters (to me, anyway) because when I look in that thread, I wish to see those items that will be helpful to me in the purchase of a digital piano. If we begin to intermingle all sorts of items (software piano products, amplifiers, speakers, mixers, etc ...) into the thread ... while it may be useful to someone in some remote way, I do not believe that is in the interest of most members looking to zero in on a fair price for a digital piano.

Again, my opinion ... everyone has one (an opinion, that is).

Quote:

If a seller or buyer of a pre-used software piano wants to volunteer info about the price paid, I hope s/he will do that... and in the proper place.

Absolutely ... as you say .. in the proper place. I just do not think the Digital Piano PRICES PAID is that proper place.

#2274004 - 05/11/14 12:34 PM Re: Ravenscroft by VI Labs… First Look and Sound [Re: dire tonic]
dmd Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Who would send the PM?

The person who is interested in finding out what the sale [price was, in this case ... you.

Quote:
And why to the seller rather than the buyer?

Well, because you may not know who the buyer is. You could PM the seller and ask if they would PM you with the sale price after it sells.

Quote:
And if neither seller nor buyer wish to divulge?

Then, you aren't going to find out.

#2274006 - 05/11/14 12:35 PM Re: Ravenscroft by VI Labs… First Look and Sound [Re: dmd]
dire tonic Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Why does it matter?

Well, it matters (to me, anyway)

life's too short.

#2274010 - 05/11/14 12:41 PM Re: Ravenscroft by VI Labs… First Look and Sound [Re: Luis Ferreira]
dire tonic Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I've been using both vintage D and the RC with no problem re latency. Have you updated UVI to the latest version? (2.5.2).

If you're using UVI as a stand-alone, that could cause a problem with some asio drivers. Better to run it within a DAW, e.g. the free Cantabile works very well.

You may already have covered those possibilities.

#2274011 - 05/11/14 12:45 PM Re: Ravenscroft by VI Labs… First Look and Sound [Re: HisKidd]
R_B Offline
500 Post Club Member

If it ain't a "HARDWARE" piano, then it is (mostly) a "Software" piano.
"Digital" pianos are (mostly) sample libraries anyway - ergo Ravenscroft is essentially a "digital piano", if only the "voice of", just missing the keys, amp, speakers and cabinet - so what ?

It doesn't REALLY matter, used stuff is used stuff, list it where you think it might become useful info for anyone seeking (functionally) same/similar "stuff".

BTW, I recently went on a definitions search for the distinction/difference between sample libraries and sound fonts - wasted a lot of time on THAT.

#2274067 - 05/11/14 02:57 PM Re: Ravenscroft by VI Labs… First Look and Sound [Re: HisKidd]
toddy Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Since software pianos are becoming ever more important to the sort of people who frequent this forum, it would be sensible to include them in the Prices Paid thread, except that:

1. I don't think most people are terribly interested because most software is not negotiable. If you're lucky, you'll buy in one of their occasional sales drives, when they slash prices 50% or so. But a 'prices paid' list won't help you with that.

2. Software is relatively cheap, so fewer people are looking for negotiated bargains.

3. If it DID become a common fixture to include the trading of second hand software pianos, VSTi, DAWs and the like, it would be worth having a separate sticky thread just for those - as it might for other hardware: amps, monitor speakers, stands and what not.

Then everyone would be happy.

Reaper / NI Komplete 9 /Kontakt 5// EWQL Sym Choirs/ Sym Orchestra Silver/ MOR2
Mics: SP B1 & MXL V67g/ Alesis MicTube Preamp/ Xenyx302/ Yamaha HS7s .

"Only a fool is fooled" pv88, All Fools' Day 2014.

#2274069 - 05/11/14 03:01 PM Re: Ravenscroft by VI Labs… First Look and Sound [Re: HisKidd]
Pete14 Offline

I run RC, ACD, and Pianoteq on a Mac Pro (8 cores @2.8Ghz; 8GB of Ram; Samsung Pro SSD). The Ravenscroft is the most demanding in terms of computing resources. I can run ACD with all -1,000- voices, @64 buffer size. Pianoteq runs perfectly despite high polyphony, and 64 buffer size. The Ravenscroft will only run @128 buffer size; if I go lower, I will start to get pops and cracks. I can only load two mic perspectives (I can get away with three; however, I will get the occasional pop/crack). I've also noticed many bass notes produce a muffled/unbalanced/louder-softer sound. Still, I like the instrument; go figure.

Page 18 of 19 < 1 2 ... 16 17 18 19 >

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
8 Live Ragtime Piano Players on the Cape!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How to Regulate a Studio Upright for Greatest Sensitivity?
by Paul678
10/20/14 11:05 PM
How do I tackle my goal.
by imustlearn
10/20/14 10:29 PM
Advice? First digital piano for family--already own a GP
by SCD
10/20/14 07:58 PM
Help with my DGX-650 and Synthesia!
by Jtreimer
10/20/14 07:21 PM
Piano tuning career prospects 2014
by Morrisos
10/20/14 06:56 PM
Who's Online
78 registered (alfredo capurso, Adypiano, anotherscott, 19 invisible), 1096 Guests and 8 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76599 Members
42 Forums
158393 Topics
2325925 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission