Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2220365 - 01/25/14 04:19 AM Tip stripped on cheap tuning hammer
JBenson Offline

Hello,

I bought one of those student apprentice tuning kits awhile ago at a place called KSPiano. Can't find them on the web anymore. Does anyone know if they went out of business?

The trouble is the tips keep stripping.

Also, do the tips fit on any hammer?

I've had 2 tips so far, the first has a "2" on the side and a "10" on the bottom. When that one stripped, they sent me another with "1" on the side and "10" on the bottom.

If I buy tips at Pianosupplies.com, will those fit this hammer? Is there a different size I should be getting? I'm tuning an old Yamaha U3.

Thanks for any help.

(ad PTG 568) Win a Year Journal Subscription
PTG 57th Annual Convention - Atlanta
#2220396 - 01/25/14 05:52 AM Re: Tip stripped on cheap tuning hammer [Re: JBenson]
David Boyce Offline

Loc: Scotland
JBenson, what has stripped? THe thread of the tip by which it screws onto the lever? Or the edges of the "star" interior of the tip?

#2220421 - 01/25/14 07:10 AM Re: Tip stripped on cheap tuning hammer [Re: David Boyce]
JBenson Offline

Originally Posted By: David Boyce
JBenson, what has stripped? THe thread of the tip by which it screws onto the lever? Or the edges of the "star" interior of the tip?

The edges of the star.

Thanks.

#2220453 - 01/25/14 08:44 AM Re: Tip stripped on cheap tuning hammer [Re: JBenson]
showard Offline

Loc: Hortonville, Wisconsin
If the threads on the tuning hammer handle are the standard 1/4" you can use other tips on it. All of the Schaff, AMS, and Watanabe heads will fit the handles with 1/4" threads. I know they sell the Schaff tuning tools here on pianosupplies.com. We sell the AMS heads and tips in our online store at the address below. KSPiano was a distributor for NewOctave Global which is the wholesale company connected with International Piano Supply. You may be able to contact NewOctave to see if they would cover the damage as they advertise that they have a lifetime guarantee on their tools. But you may just want to consider getting a better "Made in America" replacement to avoid the problem in the future.
www.howardpianoindustries.com

#2220514 - 01/25/14 11:08 AM Re: Tip stripped on cheap tuning hammer [Re: JBenson]
David Boyce Offline

Loc: Scotland
Surely the threads are not 1/4"? 1/4" is the size of a camera tripod screw (1/4" Whitworth).

#2220539 - 01/25/14 11:44 AM Re: Tip stripped on cheap tuning hammer [Re: JBenson]
Supply Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Vancouver Island, BC, Canada
This issue comes up with some regularity here. It proves the fact over and over again: the cheap piano tools marketed towards students or amateurs are not worth buying. Who cares if they have a lifetime warranty? Best case scenario they will keep on sending you more of the same stuff which will not work well, which will break and which will damage your piano.

The cheap tool winds up being the expensive tool in the end because after the initial expenditure and the frustration, you go out and buy the more expensive tool. When it is all done you have spent way more money. Think about it.

Regarding "Made in America": who knows what is still made here these days? Just because it says Hale or anything else on it is not a guarantee, as far as I can tell. Example: The "Japanese" tuning pins are now made in India. Who knows what else has been sourced out to questionable sources?

Piattino Caster Cups distributor

#2220713 - 01/25/14 06:48 PM Re: Tip stripped on cheap tuning hammer [Re: JBenson]
JBenson Offline

The tuning hammer threads seem to be around 5/16".

Not sure what brand it is as it has no name on it, but it was from one of those typical student apprentice kits.

Is it just the tip that needs to be quality, or does the handle need to be quality too? The handle seems fine to me, nothing special obviously but it hasn't broken (yet). smile

When buying a higher quality hammer, is it mainly the tip that is the difference?

Regarding the size of the tip, for a typical piano, in my case the Yamaha U3, what should I get?

Can you link me to a specific decent tip that would work for me and would last?

Thank you all very much for your help.

#2220725 - 01/25/14 07:23 PM Re: Tip stripped on cheap tuning hammer [Re: JBenson]
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Oakland

#2220729 - 01/25/14 07:33 PM Re: Tip stripped on cheap tuning hammer [Re: Supply]
beethoven986 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Supply

Regarding "Made in America": who knows what is still made here these days? Just because it says Hale or anything else on it is not a guarantee, as far as I can tell. Example: The "Japanese" tuning pins are now made in India. Who knows what else has been sourced out to questionable sources?

At least with respect to AMS tools, they are made in a machine shop, about 40 minutes from my house.
Certified Dampp-Chaser installer

#2220792 - 01/25/14 10:25 PM Re: Tip stripped on cheap tuning hammer [Re: JBenson]
showard Offline

Yes, the tuning tools that we sell from AMS we pick up directly from them in Naperville, IL. I have actually had the opportunity to see how the tools are made and the machines used to make them.

#2220795 - 01/25/14 10:28 PM Re: Tip stripped on cheap tuning hammer [Re: JBenson]
showard Offline

I quoted the 1/4" measurement off of memory. I could be wrong on this. I'll need to double check the size on this.

#2220814 - 01/25/14 11:32 PM Re: Tip stripped on cheap tuning hammer [Re: JBenson]
kpembrook Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Michigan
Originally Posted By: JBenson
Hello,

I bought one of those student apprentice tuning kits awhile ago at a place called KSPiano. Can't find them on the web anymore. Does anyone know if they went out of business?

The trouble is the tips keep stripping.

Also, do the tips fit on any hammer?

I've had 2 tips so far, the first has a "2" on the side and a "10" on the bottom. When that one stripped, they sent me another with "1" on the side and "10" on the bottom.

If I buy tips at Pianosupplies.com, will those fit this hammer? Is there a different size I should be getting? I'm tuning an old Yamaha U3.

Thanks for any help.

Unfortunately, you have purchased what I refer to as "imitation tools". My violin teacher wife deals with similar "imitation violins" available on the internet--brought by her students under the delusion that they will actually be able to play these so-called instruments. Although resembling actual functional items, these imitation items may never be functional out of the box -- or, if you're lucky -- you may get minimal usage before they fail completely.

Those who use tools of any sort -- whether in piano repair, automotive repair or construction will all tell you that your most expensive purchase is the cheap tool that soon fails. Then you have the expense and going out and getting the real tool you should have purchased at the beginning.

I'm sorry you had to learn this the hard way, but that is the sad reality of the situation.

Some legitimate tools may be purchased from the website on which these forums appear. Also, stevespianoservice.com is a place where you can consult about which tool is appropriate for your needs.

Best of luck your second time around. . .
smile

#2220825 - 01/25/14 11:57 PM Re: Tip stripped on cheap tuning hammer [Re: JBenson]
JBenson Offline

To be honest, I find the entire piano biz to be a bit of a lesson, from buying a piano to getting them serviced to whatever else. I can see why most people just go digital, but that's all neither here nor there.

The handle seems fine enough, I just need a decent tip.

I new it was cheap, especially since the "professional" handles are quite expensive.

I don't really need some fantastic tuning hammer.

If I can't get a decent tip for a decent price, what would be the most inexpensive but decent hammer?

#2221373 - 01/27/14 10:53 AM Re: Tip stripped on cheap tuning hammer [Re: JBenson]
showard Offline

I called AMS this morning to verify the thread size on their heads which is the same as what Schaff uses for their heads. It is the same as what was quoted from the thread in the link that BDB provided:

Shaft to head: 1/8 - 27 NPT (1/8" National Pipe Taper with 27 threads per inch).

I'm not certain if this is what NewOctave uses for their hammers, but I believe they also use the same size for their hammers.

#2221817 - 01/28/14 09:40 AM Re: Tip stripped on cheap tuning hammer [Re: Supply]
Mark Cerisano, RPT Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Best case scenario they will keep on sending you more of the same stuff which will not work well, which will break and which will damage your piano.

Hi Jurgen,

I agree with everything you said, but I often hear the "damage" argument. Exactly how can a soft tip damage a tuning pin, in your opinion?

#2221821 - 01/28/14 09:56 AM Re: Tip stripped on cheap tuning hammer [Re: JBenson]
Mark Cerisano, RPT Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Montreal, Quebec, Canada
I would not pay less than $150 for a hammer with a #2 tip. (That's the price I got from Pianophile, a Canadian supplier. It is the retail price. Technicians can buy it from them for $100) Unless the seller is overcharging, you should get something decent for that price.

See part 1005
http://www.pianophile.com/web/catalogue/...=5280&#1005

Find out where professional techs buy their tools and buy a hammer for around $150 and you should be fine.

Similarly, you could buy a good quality tip for about $40 (again, retail price) from a reputable supplier and should be assured of a quality tip that won't strip early.

See part 1012-B
http://www.pianophile.com/web/catalogue/...284&#1012-B

Note: these links are for reference. Check http://pianosupplies.com first. I just did and their prices are lower for the same item. But my prices quoted are CAD.

Here are the pianosupplies links:
Hammer: http://www.pianosupplies.com/pianos/No4.html
Tips: Couldn't find any

#2221858 - 01/28/14 11:54 AM Re: Tip stripped on cheap tuning hammer [Re: Mark Cerisano, RPT]
Supply Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Vancouver Island, BC, Canada
Originally Posted By: Mark Cerisano, RPT
Best case scenario they will keep on sending you more of the same stuff which will not work well, which will break and which will damage your piano.
.... Exactly how can a soft tip damage a tuning pin, in your opinion?

I made no mention of "soft tuning tips", but I agree that annealing the tools is one one several problems. Many of them are brittle (and weak), as they have been known to break under stress.

A poorly fitting tuning pin tip can not only damage the finish of the tuning pin, causing unsightly surface damage and opening up the door to tuning pin corrosion, it can also mar the pin so that subsequently even good tuning tips will not fit on and grip the pin properly. Secondly, a poorly fitting tuning tip is more likely to jump off the pin or the whole tuning hammer can fall off when temporarily released. This can often mar the plate finish on a grand, or damage the action (snap hammers off, damage dampers) on a vertical.

Piattino Caster Cups distributor

#2222659 - 01/29/14 04:11 PM Re: Tip stripped on cheap tuning hammer [Re: JBenson]
Goof Offline

Loc: UK
eekIt must be really loose before it strips? Not much good for small back and fourth movements.

I bought on the internet from China quite a good lever c/w a hardened tip BUT the tip was larger than a No2 so its not perfect.
The joke is the supplier when questioned did not even know about tip sizes!!
It id the old saying: If you want something good for nothing: then you'll probably get something good-for-nothing!

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
Our latest Issue is available now...
Piano News - Interesting & Fun Piano Related Newsletter! (free)
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
62 registered (Abby Pianoman, AndrewJCW, Allard, beeboss, barbaram, 17 invisible), 1180 Guests and 25 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75581 Members
42 Forums
156278 Topics
2295081 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Help with dynamics
by noobpianist90
Today at 03:53 AM
Using Kawai MP6 faders/knobs with virtual instruments?
by chicolom
Today at 02:35 AM
Coming up with new compositional methods.
by gsmonks
Today at 01:58 AM
Impromptu in A
by Ritzycat
Today at 12:42 AM
what do you think piano teachers about it?
by Maximillyan
Today at 12:15 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission