2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
42 members (Animisha, alexcomoda, benkeys, Burkhard, 20/20 Vision, AlkansBookcase, brennbaer, 10 invisible), 1,145 guests, and 318 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 66 of 75 1 2 64 65 66 67 68 74 75
dewster Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by E. Christensen
I just have to say again that this is great information. I have shared it with some that I know. A wealth of information, that is to say the least!

Glad you're finding some value in this project!

I should have noted that the ES100 analysis (above) was a collaborative effort between Daniel Richter and myself. Daniel's Audition-fu is quite impressive!

Thanks, although I still have much to learn. smile

Last edited by Daniel Richter; 12/08/13 07:20 PM.

Long time piano player, with 7 years experience working in restaurants and doing gigs in random places.

My project: Comparison of Portable Digital Pianos under 1000 US$

Owner of Kawai ES100
P
P
Has anyone ever done the DPBSD on an actual acoustic piano and recorded it? My goal is to take my favorite piano sample library, Sampletekk's Black Grand Ambient, and, through the use of Kontakt and Kontakt's script engine, rewrite the instrument so that it passes the DPBSD test 100%. I'd like to have an audio recording from a real acoustic so that I have a reference for easy side-by-side comparison while the Kontakt instrument is being developed.

dewster Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by pocoapoco
Has anyone ever done the DPBSD on an actual acoustic piano and recorded it?

Not sure it's possible, unless you can rustle up an acoustic piano with a MIDI IN jack.

Even then, there's no guarantee it will pass all the tests. It obviously wouldn't be layered, stretched, or looped, but it might not track key and pedal stuff with full fidelity.

P
P
Well you can replicate the test with an actual performance not just midi. It would be important to hear what half pedaling and sympathetic resonance actually sounds like for instance.

M
M
You can try yourself on any piano!

Pianoteq / Kawai CL 35 & MP11 / Old 1920's Upright Zimmerman
P
P
Do you have one you can give me?

T
twl Offline
T
Try pianoteq trial. I believe Pianoteq passed every DPBSD test without a problem, so I am guessing that it has the acoustic behaviors comprehensively modelled. Would that suffice?

twl #2223047 01/30/14 11:29 AM
P
P
Originally Posted by twl
Try pianoteq trial. I believe Pianoteq passed every DPBSD test without a problem, so I am guessing that it has the acoustic behaviors comprehensively modelled. Would that suffice?

I have actually already tried the pianoteq trial. I found the sound to be too synthetic sounding still although it is improved over previous versions. My main reason in asking if someone has recorded an acoustic is to hear the fine details. For instance in the late pedal test. I'd like to hear how the harmonics and other characteristics of the sound behave. There's much more to it to get it to sound realistic than just switching on or off samples at the right time. And it's not something that you can simply go to a store and play an acoustic and remember. Very careful comparisons have to be made side by side. Nobody seems to get that.

Last edited by pocoapoco; 01/30/14 11:30 AM.
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Volunteering to make a test file for the Casio PX-5S, can't see that it has been done, although I only scrolled through about ten pages (of 44) in the thread.

I understand I need to do a factory reset, which means all user settings will be wiped out, but I need to reorganize my stage settings anyway, so it's just fine. Anything else I need to look out for? I've downloaded the MIDI file.

Me on YouTube

Casio PX-5S. Garritan CFX, Production Grand 2 Gold, Concert Grand LE, AcousticSamples C7, some Sampletekks. Pianoteq 8 Std (Blüthner, SteinGraeber, NY/HB Steinway D).
dewster Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by TheodorN
Volunteering to make a test file for the Casio PX-5S, can't see that it has been done, although I only scrolled through about ten pages (of 44) in the thread.

Thanks mate! Not 100% sure, but I believe the piano voice is the same as the PX-350.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I think so too, does that mean the conclusions of the test should be the same for the PX-5S as they were for the PX-350?

Then I have yet to find out how to feed the MIDI file to the piano and make it record and play it at the same time. Don't know if I have to feed it to the USB connection at the back, so the USB key slot is free to record.

Would a simple MIDI player like the one in Synthesia or Notation Composer suffice for that? Those are the only ways I've sent MIDI files to the piano. blush I'll check the Casio forums for a simple solution, possibly send a question in the Facebook group.

Last edited by TheodorN; 01/31/14 12:23 AM.

Me on YouTube

Casio PX-5S. Garritan CFX, Production Grand 2 Gold, Concert Grand LE, AcousticSamples C7, some Sampletekks. Pianoteq 8 Std (Blüthner, SteinGraeber, NY/HB Steinway D).
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I'm making the mp3 file available for download at this URL:

https://notendur.hi.is/~thn8/dpbsd_v2.0_Casio_PX5S.mp3

I didn't do the following, asked for in the README file.

Instrument settings:
- Generally use the default patch, which should be the best acoustic piano, but with reverb off.
- You may want to do a factory reset in order to restore all defaults.
- Turn ON any sympathetic resonance effect.*
- Turn ON any key-up noise effect.*
- Turn ON any pedal up/down noise effect.*
- Turn OFF reverb, or any other delay effects such as chorus.
- Turn OFF, defeat, or center any EQ settings, amp models, etc.
- Set MIDI velocity curve to linear.
* If there is a level setting please leave it at the default setting. If the default is zero, or the effect is inaudible unless turned up, then please turn up the effect, but only to the point where it is audible/tasteful and not obnoxious.

Recording & MP3 output:
- Record to a WAV file, sample rate 44.1kHz, stereo, resolution 32 bit float if possible.

Mostly due to infamiliarity with my piano! I had the PX-5S set to stage setting 0-0, which is Concert grand piano, pretty basic settings, though. I'm pretty sure it's not EQ'd and reverb is set to Hall2 (no OFF setting exists, it seems, for reverb.)

Finally, sorry for the metronome clicking at the beginning. I could easily just cut it out in the program I converted the WAV file to MP3, ffmpeg. The MP3 file is 16 bit, not 32 bits as you ask for. I believe the original WAV is 16 bit also, not sure if the piano can record at 32 bits.

Last edited by TheodorN; 01/31/14 01:32 AM.

Me on YouTube

dewster Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
Thanks! I snagged it and it's in stereo and the levels look OK for analysis. I've got a bit of a backlog going, hope to get to it soon.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Great, I'm glad if you can use it, if not, just let me know!

Me on YouTube

C
C
I have these sounds.....the PMI Bosendorfer 290 sounds the best of the three, really nice but dynamics are too flat. The Fazioli is too dark and the Steinway B has the best dynamics but doesn't sound as good as the other two.

C
C
''Large dynamic range (54dB, vel=1:127)''

again, it's all theory. In practice, budget master keyboards, even the ones with hammer-action, are incapable of going from 1 to 127. They usually go only from 45 to 110, so they are unable to bring out the potential of Pianoteq and the dynamics are crap unless you have a spectacular master keyboard.

Last edited by compianist1; 02/01/14 04:41 PM.
C
C
I bought an F20 a few days ago and it literally revolutionized my practicing life. I completely love it. I used to use sample libraries from East West and Imperfect Samples, also Pianoteq, they sound really great but a real problem is that master keyboards playability generally sucks. Playability wise, the F20 blow them all out of the window and it sounds really good too.

I'd like to send you the audio file but the problem is that a midi file, played back by the F20, seemn to be played back by the piano of it's General Midi sound set, not by the internal piano sound. I tried yesterday and that indeed is the case. The internal sound piano sound darker and better than the one in the GM set.

So, by playing back a midi file, it's no guarantee that a keyboard will use the main piano sound, as it might not be part of the GM set. Which might well be the case with the other tests done here. I'll give it another try in the next few days

dewster Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by compianist1
I'd like to send you the audio file but the problem is that a midi file, played back by the F20, seemn to be played back by the piano of it's General Midi sound set, not by the internal piano sound. I tried yesterday and that indeed is the case. The internal sound piano sound darker and better than the one in the GM set.

This is a common issue with Roland SN DPs, the RD-700NX is the only one I know of that has an easy setting to play back whatever instrument is selected. The others you have to jump through major MIDI hoops to get the SN piano to play via MIDI.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I had similar problems with my Casio PX-5S, few weeks back. MIDI files played back would always change the voice on the piano to GM Piano 1. Then I found out I could prevent a program change with something called RX filter in the system settings, by setting it to filter out program changes, sent to the piano.

After doing that, the piano would always layer the songs with strings, that is, play both grand piano and strings. Mike Martin revealed to me that the piano was listening to incoming MIDI events on MIDI channel 2. In plain English, that means the piano would play a song with the voice that was set on MIDI channel 2, which was strings in my case. By putting grand piano on all four zones (or MIDI channels) the problem seemed to be solved.

This is however not happening anymore, even after a factory reset. There is no program change and the basic grand piano is played, when feeding a MIDI file to the piano.

Me on YouTube

Page 66 of 75 1 2 64 65 66 67 68 74 75

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,173
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission