Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2220847 - 01/26/14 01:49 AM How to use Papp's Treble Mute?
PeterGriffin Offline

What is the proper way to use a Papp's treble mute?

(ad PTG 568) Win a Year Journal Subscription
PTG 57th Annual Convention - Atlanta
#2220861 - 01/26/14 02:39 AM Re: How to use Papp's Treble Mute? [Re: PeterGriffin]
Chris Leslie Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Canberra, ACT, Australia
I use them routinely for upright pianos only, and for notes above the tenor break.
They can be inserted between adjacent string pairs of a trichord to allow only the left or right string to sound.
They can be inserted with each prong between the trichord pairs to allow only the middle string to sound.
They can be inserted between adjacent trichords to allow two strings to sound when tuning one string against another.
They can be inserted between hammer shanks, between those a couple of notes away, and just above the dampers.
They can be inserted over the hammers and above the dampers, but the stick will need to be positioned the side away from the hammer being used to prevent it from interfering with the hammer.
They can be used for bass wrapped strings but tend to bounce off easily. Felt wedges are better.
They are very useful for overdampers (birdcage pianos) and can be inserted either over the damper rail, or between the damper wires and shanks.
Being so versatile, it is possible to tune an entire piano with one single Papp's mute.
Make sure that you get the nylon type. There are more brittle plastic ones around that break easily.
I was given a Papp's mute in 1970 from W.H.Palings and I still carry that very one to this day. So they last a long time with care.

Edited by Chris Leslie (01/26/14 02:42 AM)

#2220958 - 01/26/14 09:47 AM Re: How to use Papp's Treble Mute? [Re: PeterGriffin]
David Boyce Offline

Loc: Scotland
Just to add to Chris's comprehensive list: For bichords you can turn them round and use the "wrong end", sometimes helpful above the damper rail in birdcage pianos.

#2221335 - 01/27/14 09:12 AM Re: How to use Papp's Treble Mute? [Re: PeterGriffin]
showard Offline

Loc: Hortonville, Wisconsin
We offer a YouTube video on mutes which you may find helpful. It does show the Papp's mute as part of the demo: Piano Tuning Mutes
www.howardpianoindustries.com

#2227136 - 02/06/14 07:05 PM Re: How to use Papp's Treble Mute? [Re: PeterGriffin]
Mark Cerisano, RPT Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Montreal, Quebec, Canada
I use them on uprights with a double string, open unison technique.

I do not try to fit them between two strings of a single trichord; that is a small target and slows me down. I insert them between two notes when tuning the treble on an upright and tune the double string unison first, using unison cracking or shiming as it is sometimes called.

(I also use the same technique with rubber wedges with handles for the other trichords. Works great on grands because the handled rubber mutes stay up.)

This is a killer technique on birdcage pianos. No fishing around for the right spot. The space between two trichords is much bigger than that which is between two strings of the same note.

And it has the added benefit that you do not need mutes to tune the bichords. Sweet!

#2227165 - 02/06/14 08:02 PM Re: How to use Papp's Treble Mute? [Re: PeterGriffin]
Johnkie Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: England
I use nothing but a papps wedge for all uprights either OS or OD (or as you know them ... birdcage).
I would guess that most tuners here in the UK do exactly the same, mainly because we deal with OD pianos so often.

It does take time to gain the experience of how to use them, but once mastered it becomes very quick and far easier to mute especially in the high treble.
It's best to first practice on an Over Strung, whereby you insert at an angle to the string to be tuned. Inserting 4 or 5 semitones above or below. New papps wedges are too big at first to be able to insert between unisons, so we simply file the front down so that the start of the wedge has a nice thin attack angle that penetrates easily.

Insert the wedge between two of the unison strings so that only one sounds, after tuning that first string, remove the wedge and insert it between one unison of the note you are dealing with and its neighbouring string and you are able to tune the second unison of the note to the first that has been tuned. It only remains to remove the wedge completely in order to tune the remaining unison to the two already tuned.

This method does of course require tuning unisons as you go rather than the practice of using a muting strip and leaving unisons until the end.

Once mastered on OS instruments it becomes quite easy to judge where to place on over damped pianos underneath the hammers in between the damper wires by sort of using the tip much like a plectrum ... counting the sounds of the unisons whilst running the papps wedge across the note .... plink plink and insert = first unison to tune .... plink plink plink and insert in the wide gap between two notes = tune the second unison, and finally remove to tune the third.

#2227243 - 02/06/14 11:42 PM Re: How to use Papp's Treble Mute? [Re: PeterGriffin]
rysowers Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Olympia, WA
Here's a tip that worked for me:

I roughened the surfaced of the Papps mute. It seemed to help keep it from slipping out from the strings during test blows.
www.pianova.net

#2227316 - 02/07/14 04:49 AM Re: How to use Papp's Treble Mute? [Re: PeterGriffin]
David Boyce Offline

Loc: Scotland
Johnkie, I do exactly the same as you.

#2227709 - 02/07/14 11:20 PM Re: How to use Papp's Treble Mute? [Re: Chris Leslie]
kpembrook Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Michigan
Very informative posts.

Just as a contrarian perspective. . .

They're a real head-scratcher to me. I wasn't able to get a Papp's mute to do anything that my wedge mutes wouldn't do.

I do get the overdamper piano usage, but I have a really long-handled rubber mte (from Pianotek) and seem to manage OK -- sometimes in combination with inserting the strip mute under the keybed.

Maybe I'll give one a try again -- but it seems like something extra to carry around that doesn't do anything better than wedge mutes.

#2227789 - 02/08/14 05:44 AM Re: How to use Papp's Treble Mute? [Re: kpembrook]
rxd Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: London, England
Originally Posted By: kpembrook
Very informative posts.

Just as a contrarian perspective. . .

They're a real head-scratcher to me. I wasn't able to get a Papp's mute to do anything that my wedge mutes wouldn't do.

I do get the overdamper piano usage, but I have a really long-handled rubber mte (from Pianotek) and seem to manage OK -- sometimes in combination with inserting the strip mute under the keybed.

Maybe I'll give one a try again -- but it seems like something extra to carry around that doesn't do anything better than wedge mutes.

This was the finding forty years ago when I used to but them by the half dozen and give them to my employees, colleagues and nominal 'competitors'.

They were using short rubber wedges that seemed to be always falling into the depths of the piano which seemed rather awkward to me, who had known no other way than the paps wedge.

They also found no use for them.

I found the same reluctance with the automatic electric kettle. Something even the poorest household has in the UK.

Eschew obfuscation.

#2227794 - 02/08/14 06:11 AM Re: How to use Papp's Treble Mute? [Re: PeterGriffin]
Johnkie Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: England
Yes Keith, they can be a little fiddly and difficult to master, but when you get the hang of using a papps wedge, it takes away any danger of harming dampers when inserting a muting strip and becomes no more time consuming in comparison to using a muting strip in the overall tuning time.

In any case it would be pretty useless unless the tuning method involved tuning unisons as you go, rather than what appears to be the norm here, where the scale and octaves are laid first and unisons tuned after.

Being a totally aural tuner I need only carry a papps wedge for uprights, a rubber wedge for grands, a C 523.3 fork and of course a good tuning lever. I do however have 3 tool cases at hand in the boot of the car, one of which contains the most needed day to day regulation and repair tools, but where only tuning is required those four basic tools along with perhaps a couple of screwdrivers generally suffices .... the rest remain in the car until identified as needed.

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
Our latest Issue is available now...
Piano News - Interesting & Fun Piano Related Newsletter! (free)
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
65 registered (AZNpiano, briansaddleback, bennevis, Atrys, beet31425, 19 invisible), 1273 Guests and 24 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75609 Members
42 Forums
156349 Topics
2296338 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
A new work for Japanese Harp "KOTO"
by Iori Fujita
Today at 03:41 AM
Pianos in timber homes vs brick homes
by Jibbers
Today at 02:37 AM
Debussy's opinion of other composers
by phantomFive
Today at 12:37 AM
Ivory v. Plastic Questions
by Retsacnal
Yesterday at 11:50 PM
The worst student in your studio
by Cardinal201
Yesterday at 11:43 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission