2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
65 members (36251, anotherscott, Bellyman, Carey, brennbaer, busa, ChickenBrother, 9 invisible), 2,088 guests, and 312 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#2220856 01/26/14 03:23 AM
R
OP Offline
R
Does anybody warm up a different way other than the traditional warm up scales and exercises? I've heard someone go as far as soaking their hands in hot water for several minutes.

Where I live, it's pretty cold right now, and my hands take a while to warm up. I was wondering if people had a unique way of getting over cold weather.

Novice Private Piano Teacher

BA Music, Biology Minor

Yamaha G3, Yamaha P-515
D
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Move south. grin

Every day we are afforded a new chance. The problem with life is not that you run out of chances. In the end, what you run out of are days.
P
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
P
I stick them in my arm pits.

My brother pretends to put his hands in his back pockets, but really sticks them in his pants against the flesh to warm up.

Poetry is rhythm
phantomFive #2220872 01/26/14 04:32 AM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
That's supposed to be the best thing to do (armpits). Me, I prefer to sit on them for a couple minutes and then rubbing them a bit before playing. (any of this is nice to look at, but at least I allow for clothing to remain between my hands and my bum!).

That info about your brother reminds me of Kevin Smith's Mallrats! laugh ha
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MfVVjpVZP8I

I have tried fingerless gloves, but they were black and created a visual illusion of long moving black keys all over the keybed. I'm trying to get gloves more similar to my skin colour now.

Serious since Dec 2013. March 2014, Kawai CA95!

Time you enjoy wasting was not wasted

[Linked Image]
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
As bennevis mentioned in a recent thread, you can windmill your arms (large circles) to stimulate blood flow to the hands, and the little bit of exercise will warm you up too. It works great too when outside and your fingers get cold.

Professional pianist and piano teacher.
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Take a hot shower and keep your house warm.

JoelW #2220968 01/26/14 11:02 AM
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Wrist warmers.

Learner
P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
1. If you smoke, stop. Smoking screws up circulation big time. I used to have this problem and was even diagnosed with Reynaud's. I stopped smoking. I am fine.

2. Many medications also interfere with circulation. Check into that with your doctor.

3. Eat a solid meal before performing. Empty stomach=cold hands.

4. Arm pits, dress warmly, heating pad if necessary. Put it on the bench and sit on it. If your core is warm, your hands should be, too, unless you suffer from circulation problems (see above)

Good luck!

Robin Meloy Goldsby
www.goldsby.de
Available June 18th, 2021--Piano Girl Playbook: Notes on a Musical Life
Also by RMG: Piano Girl, A Memoir; Waltz of the Asparagus People; Rhythm; Manhattan Roadtrip
Music by RMG available on all platforms
RMG is a Steinway Artist
A
A
Make sure your feet are warm. Wool sock can do wonders for cold hands. (Socks on feet of course)

L
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by RyanThePianist
Does anybody warm up a different way other than the traditional warm up scales and exercises? I've heard someone go as far as soaking their hands in hot water for several minutes.

Where I live, it's pretty cold right now, and my hands take a while to warm up. I was wondering if people had a unique way of getting over cold weather.

In that my coach is Thomas Mark, who teaches a variation of the Taubman technique, I do no need to warm up. I haven't played any scales, exercises, or arpeggios in six years, and I couldn't be happier.

As far as your hands are concerned, you have to remember they are only an extension of the rest of your body. You should be doing some form of cardiac exercise every morning, which should start off with gentle stretching. And, the stretching should utilize as much of your body's natural gravity, as possible.

That means lying on the floor, or letting your upper body hang over the end of your bed. Do not force anything.

In the winter, I set the thermostat at 74 degrees, and I always run my hands under very warm (not hot) water for about 20 seconds, making sure to include the upper forearms.

That is pretty much it other than you eventually need to get the bumper sticker that says: "I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as fast as I could."

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Scales don't really warm me up so much. In fact, over time playing the piano, my fingers actually start to get cold.

I usually wash my hands under warm water which makes my hands nice and warm, clean, and dry for playing.

phantomFive #2221038 01/26/14 07:29 PM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by phantomFive

Is your name Mary Katherine Gallagher?

Last edited by ChopinLives81; 01/26/14 07:29 PM.

"A Sorceror of tonality; the piano is my cauldron and the music is my spell, let those who cannot hear my calling die and burn in He11."

Check my videos @:
http://www.youtube.com/user/chopinlives81
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by ChopinLives81
Originally Posted by phantomFive

Is your name Mary Katherine Gallagher?

Derulux #2221051 01/26/14 07:43 PM
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Derulux
Move south. grin

Or to Australia. smile

[Linked Image]

Music is my best friend.

L
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
L
I take significant offense at those who would trivialize someone attempting to play the piano on a daily basis and not subject themselves to injury.

Injury is what happens when the muscles in your lower forearm, which is what you play the piano with, and the corresponding fingers, are not in a normal/natural state of relaxation.

Earl Wild spent his entire life of 93? years living, learning, practicing, teaching, performing, and recording in cold climates. And, he was 6'8" tall, with hands to match.

And, in his recent memoir, he stated that he thought it was ridiculous to warm-up with the standard scales and exercises. In that he never sustained any injury, I guess he knew what he was doing.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I don't think anybody is trivializing the actual question so much as having a little fun while answering a serious question.

Originally Posted by LouisPodesta
And, in his recent memoir, he stated that he thought it was ridiculous to warm-up with the standard scales and exercises. In that he never sustained any injury, I guess he knew what he was doing.

Or he was simply lucky.

For me, while I do not find scales warm me up so much, they do serve a purpose in that when I play them, they seem to trigger for me "relax", almost like a switch, so that by the time I'm ready to play my pieces, I'm as relaxed as I can be. As I play my pieces, tension tends to creep back in, and I do my best to tamp it down, slow down, get back to my place, with varying success.

The scales are the only thing I can settle into and play endlessly with no tension. They're a great reset button for me.

I would be careful about making broad conclusions from the playing experience of one person, no matter how famous or accomplished that person might happen to be.

If anything, I think you might be unnecessarily trivializing scales and traditional warmups. For some they are a really essential touchstone when sitting down to practice.

Now, what they do not help me with is actual warming up in the sense that I do not get warm playing them, or anything else. I will break out in a sweat if I am nervous, but it's a cold sweat. I have cold hands almost no matter what I do. I can dance for an hour and a half in a stuffy ballet studio and when I shake hands with the teacher at the end of class, I have quite cold fingers.

Which is why I suggested to the OP to simply run his hands under warm water. It really helps me.

Silver Supporter until Dec 29 2012
2000 Post Club Member

Silver Supporter until Dec 29 2012
2000 Post Club Member

When I wake up tomorrow the predicted temps will be -25C (-14F). I usually run my hands under warm water, dry them and put on my insulated gloves to keep them warm.

Don't you wish you were in Minnesota too? wink

Carl

V
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
V
I use a rice sock--which is just white rice in a sock with a knot tied at the top. Just throw the sock in the microwave and warm it up. (in my microwave it takes 45 seconds). This can be used to warm fingers and hands, and can also be applied to toes to warm them up for pedaling! smile

W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by Piano Girl RMG

3. Eat a solid meal before performing. Empty stomach=cold hands.

How this works is complicated and varies enormously for different people, but it is definitely a factor, and the food intake/cold hands connection is worthy of attention. What and when I last ate can make a pretty huge difference in how my hands feel.

S
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
S
It seems some have missed perhaps the most important advice, keep your core warm. Wear long underwear, sweaters, dress in layers, whatever to keep your core sufficiently warm. If your core is warm your hands will get there with a modest amount of playing. If you're working especially hard you may even work up a bit of sweat.

Louis, you mentioned your thermostat being set to 74. In my part of the country that would be considered profligately wasteful. My thermostat is set to 68, the temperature outside is about 0. I have a sweater and longjohns on and fleece at the ready. But my heating bill is reasonable (so far).

Last edited by Steve Chandler; 01/27/14 12:21 PM.

Steve Chandler
composer/amateur pianist

stevechandler-music.com
http://www.soundcloud.com/pantonality
http://www.youtube.com/pantonality
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,387
Posts3,349,212
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission