Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
102 registered (Anita Potter, anamnesis, ando, 32 invisible), 1405 Guests and 16 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#2223866 - 01/31/14 08:36 PM Re: Some more help needed!! [Re: musicman100]
FrankDaddy Offline

Loc: Louisiana, US
I have a Kawai MP6 and just got a ES7 a month ago. A music store was going out of business and had a ES7 in box. I was in the right place to pick one up for not a lot of money.

I use the ES7 primarily for practice and I love the sound and action. It sits across from my Baldwin Hamilton in our great room. that way I can play at night or just play something that sounds different from the Hamilton. I found the touch to be quite remarkable. I like the sound of the Kawai instruments. That is a personal preference though. I have owned a couple of Yamaha pianos and they were quite nice except I did not like the keyboard. Also I have access to a Privia 350. I agree with you about the sound. It sounds much better using outboard speakers. Also remember to plug in the headphones to kill the onboard speakers. It does make a difference in the sound. I do like the keyboard a great deal compared to anything else in the price range. I have not tried the ES100 yet. Although I have a Kawai ES4 that uses the same sound samples.

The MP6, even though both instruments both use Progressive Harmonic Imaging, sounds different than the ES7. Kawai James has mentions the electronics and the effects is the reason why. I use the MP6 to gig with. I play in a praise and worship band. I have to use a great many of the sounds including brass and wind instruments. These are not present in the ES7. There is no accompaniment function with the MP6. Also the MP6 does not have onboard speakers like the ES7 and Privia 350.

So I guess what I am saying is both the ES7 and the MP6 compliment each other in my case.

Also I prefer the action of the Kawai over most Yamaha's actions. Although Roland is a close second.

But I would find one of each and spend some serious time trying it out. Bring some good headphones too. Playing is really the only way you can decide which is the "better" unit according to your ears and fingers.

By the way all the major manufacturers have good pianos. It is what feels and sounds best to you. I just prefer Kawai.

(ads) Sweetwater / Roland
Yamaha Keyboards for Performance and Composition

Click Here

#2224368 - 02/01/14 08:02 PM Re: Some more help needed!! [Re: musicman100]
surgtech Offline

Loc: USA
Can iPad be connected to Kawai ES7? If not, this might be a deal breaker for me.

#2224495 - 02/02/14 06:36 AM Re: Some more help needed!! [Re: musicman100]
musicman100 Offline

Loc: North east .UK
It has MIDI (IN/OUT), USB to Host, USB to Device.

I think you can use an Apple Camera Connection Kit!!

Here is a you tube video showing it -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_jngBLQkKvM

But I don't know what version of ipad it is, I use android myself.

#2224499 - 02/02/14 06:58 AM Re: Some more help needed!! [Re: musicman100]
musicman100 Offline

Another question about the es7 it has a stereo audio in- what does that do? does it play the sound through the speakers? or can you record the input onto the usb stick? Both of these features are available on the P255?

Thanks

Edited by musicman100 (02/02/14 06:58 AM)

#2224504 - 02/02/14 07:25 AM Re: Some more help needed!! [Re: musicman100]
peterws Online   content
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Northern England.
Originally Posted By: musicman100
Another question about the es7 it has a stereo audio in- what does that do? does it play the sound through the speakers? or can you record the input onto the usb stick? Both of these features are available on the P255?

Thanks

Stereo audio "in" means that you can playu a software piano through the ES7 speakers. Or a MP3 player. Or any other audio source. Don`t know whether you can record the input using the record function on the piano.

""

#2224519 - 02/02/14 08:34 AM Re: Some more help needed!! [Re: musicman100]
fizikisto Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Hernando, MS
According to the ES7 manual, "The audio recorder will only record sounds produced by the instrument. Devices connected via the LINE IN jacks will not be recorded."

Warm Regards

#2224572 - 02/02/14 10:51 AM Re: Some more help needed!! [Re: musicman100]
sandalholme Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Dorset, UK
Being an ES7 owner and having experimented/checked with Kawai, the ES7 usb recorder will only record the inbuilt ES7 sounds.

#2224826 - 02/02/14 07:45 PM Re: Some more help needed!! [Re: musicman100]
Kawai James Online   content
9000 Post Club Member

Loc: Hamamatsu, Japan
Another question about the es7 it has a stereo audio in- what does that do? does it play the sound through the speakers?

Correct. The Line In audio is mixed with the ES7's audio, and can be heard through the speakers and headphones/Line Out.

or can you record the input onto the usb stick?

To confirm the responses from fizikisto and sandalholme, the ES7 does not record the Line In audio to MP3/WAV - i.e. the audio will not be 'mixed' with the ES7's sound.

Both of these features are available on the P255?

I expect the first feature is possible, however I'm not sure about the second.
May I ask if you have a link to confirm that the Line In audio will also be mixed with the onboard sound when recording to USB? I couldn't find any reference to this function on the P255 page of the Yamaha website.

Kind regards,
James
x

"Richard, none of us could forget you have a CLP-990." - EssBrace, 2014

#2224867 - 02/02/14 09:05 PM Re: Some more help needed!! [Re: musicman100]
fizikisto Offline
500 Post Club Member

James it looks like you can. From the P255 manual

When recording audio, sound input via the [AUX IN] jack will also be recorded.

Warm regards

#2224873 - 02/02/14 09:16 PM Re: Some more help needed!! [Re: musicman100]
9000 Post Club Member

fizikisto, thank you for confirming this point.

That's a useful feature, currently only found on the higher-end Kawai models.

Cheers,
James
x

#2224894 - 02/02/14 10:09 PM Re: Some more help needed!! [Re: fizikisto]
surgtech Offline

Originally Posted By: fizikisto

Warm regards

I've made my decision, it is Yamaha P-255!!!
Placing order tomorrow.

#2224922 - 02/02/14 11:27 PM Re: Some more help needed!! [Re: musicman100]
fizikisto Offline
500 Post Club Member

Congratulations Andrew. Hope that you love your new board. It looks like a beauty! smile

#2224964 - 02/03/14 02:08 AM Re: Some more help needed!! [Re: surgtech]
peterws Online   content
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Northern England.
Originally Posted By: surgtech

&#149; When recording audio, sound input via the [AUX IN] jack will also be recorded.

Warm regards

Placing order tomorrow.

Want to hear it . . . and see it!

""

#2225005 - 02/03/14 05:24 AM Re: Some more help needed!! [Re: surgtech]
musicman100 Offline

Originally Posted By: surgtech

Warm regards

Placing order tomorrow.

Hi ,

Can I ask how you came to your decision?

I have jet to try either but hopefully this week I can try the yamaha.

#2225088 - 02/03/14 09:27 AM Re: Some more help needed!! [Re: musicman100]
TheArchbishop Offline

Loc: New Jersey, US
I am also curious how he came to his decision too since I am still deciding between the ES7, P-255 and FP-80/50

Is it exclusively for the iPad connectivity you mentioned earlier?

Edited by TheArchbishop (02/03/14 09:27 AM)

#2225395 - 02/03/14 08:26 PM Re: Some more help needed!! [Re: TheArchbishop]
surgtech Offline

$900 cheaper (when purchasing furniture stand and 3-pedal unit);

iPad connectivity ( there are more and more apps like iGrand and Garageband that will give you additional sounds);

ability to record Yamaha's sound + line in;

several dealers in my city that used to carry Yamaha and Kawai, do not carry Kawai pianos anymore;

had before Yamaha P-120 and was happy with it.

Edited by surgtech (02/03/14 08:26 PM)

#2225492 - 02/03/14 11:23 PM Re: Some more help needed!! [Re: musicman100]
CyberGene Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Sofia, Bulgaria
ES7 has triple sensor action. That would be a decisive factor for me.

#2228275 - 02/09/14 07:54 AM Re: Some more help needed!! [Re: musicman100]
musicman100 Offline

Yesterday I had a go on the es7 so now I just have to track down the Yamaha!!.

What can I say the difference in the keys between the casio and even the es100 was amazing. The keys were so much harder to press down ( in a good way). the speakers were a 100% better then the casio and the instrument just felt so much more better quality. Saying that it is double the price so I have to decide if it worth double the price!!! Sound quality wise i did not have a casio by the side of it to compare it too, and I do think the casio has a good quality piano sound. But the kawai does have an excellent piano sound. The only problem I had was dynamics = does any one know how many levels the kawai es7 has? I know when I had a cvp407 yamaha stated it had 4 Dynamic Levels. I don't know what the levels are on casio and Yamaha or Es7. Does anyone know what they are?

When I was playing it felt about 3 or maybe 4 but it could be my playing!!!

So now I need to track down the p255 and I should be bale to make my decision and maybe try a Roland as well.Then that should have all the bases covered.

So overall I really the Kawai it felt very well built the keys were very solid and the speakers good and the sound excellent. It was just the dynamics that worried me a bit.

#2228289 - 02/09/14 08:31 AM Re: Some more help needed!! [Re: musicman100]
toddy Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Portugal
So long as the sound grows in presence and harmonic (overtone) content as you increase velocity, and that there is a development in tone colour & character as well as high frequencies and volume, then it shouldn't matter how many layers there are. One layer, with sensitive processing/ modelling would sound much better than 10 layers, inexpertly managed and blended.

Reaper / NI Komplete 9 /Kontakt 5// EWQL Sym Choirs/ Sym Orchestra Silver/ MOR2
Mics: SP B1 & MXL V67g/ Alesis MicTube Preamp/ Xenyx302/ Yamaha HS7s .

"Only a fool is fooled" pv88, All Fools' Day 2014.

#2228363 - 02/09/14 11:20 AM Re: Some more help needed!! [Re: musicman100]
Turnabout Offline

Yesterday I had a go on the es7 .... What can I say the difference in the keys between the casio and even the es100 was amazing.

One would hope that there was an amazing difference between an $800 DP and a $2000 DP. But it's instructive to see even the difference between brands at the same price, no? If you're looking at the $800 level don't forget the Roland F20.

If you're seriously looking at spending $2,000 you have a different group of pianos to compare to, and more consideration.

Edited by Turnabout (02/09/14 11:21 AM)

#2228402 - 02/09/14 12:19 PM Re: Some more help needed!! [Re: musicman100]
gvfarns Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pennsylvania
The only problem I had was dynamics = does any one know how many levels the kawai es7 has? I know when I had a cvp407 yamaha stated it had 4 Dynamic Levels. I don't know what the levels are on casio and Yamaha or Es7. Does anyone know what they are?

When I was playing it felt about 3 or maybe 4 but it could be my playing!!!

Kawai doesn't reveal this information and their method for encoding/processing it makes it not show up very easily in tests like the DPBSD. Sometimes people guess but it's a shot in the dark.

Casio might be a different story. For some reason I had the impression that I knew how many it was but I can't find the source so I won't tell you what I think it is lest I lead you astray.

Edited by gvfarns (02/09/14 12:20 PM)

#2242089 - 03/06/14 08:16 AM Re: Some more help needed!! [Re: musicman100]
musicman100 Offline

Hi,

Just a quick question on page 123 of the manual for the es7 it lists the sounds that are used in the style section is it possible to play those sounds on the keyboard?

Also what happens when you play a midi file on the keyboard if it does have the sound used in the midi file?

Any examples of midi playback on you tube? I can't find many demos showing the different styles on the keyboard of the different sounds?

Thnaks

#2242190 - 03/06/14 12:21 PM Re: Some more help needed!! [Re: musicman100]
TheodorN Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Skne, Sweden
I don't know much about Kawais, neither ES7 nor others, but I'm pretty sure the piano uses it's own tones when playing MIDI files. Judging from my experience with this on my DP, which is a Casio, a MIDI file, when sent to the piano, includes messages about so called channels the tracks of the MIDI files are using. Usually the tracks are on channels 1-4 but can make use of up to 16 channels.

In my piano, the voices are on so called zones and the zones reside in channels 1-4. So if a MIDI is fed to the thing, and it's tracks are on channel 1, it plays them with the tone on zone 1.

You might have to experiment with some settings to get this right. I had to change my settings, to filter out MIDI messages like program and bank change, because the MIDI programs I was using always changed the tone to the horrible GM Piano 1.

Edit: I see from your previous posts you haven't purchased the ES7, so you'd probably be best off to ask a salesman about the piano's MIDI features, unless Kawai James or someone who owns the ES7 will answer this question.

Edited by TheodorN (03/06/14 12:29 PM)

http://www.youtube.com/user/thenorbass1

Casio PX-5S

#2242341 - 03/06/14 06:46 PM Re: Some more help needed!! [Re: musicman100]
9000 Post Club Member

Just a quick question on page 123 of the manual for the es7 it lists the sounds that are used in the style section is it possible to play those sounds on the keyboard?

Not directly from the instrument's control panel, no. However it should be possible to select these sound via MIDI.

Also what happens when you play a midi file on the keyboard if it does have the sound used in the midi file?

The instrument used in the MIDI file will be remapped to a sound available on the ES7.

I hope this helps.

Kind regards,
James
x

#2242372 - 03/06/14 08:10 PM Re: Some more help needed!! [Re: gvfarns]
Charles Cohen Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Richmond, BC, Canada
Originally Posted By: gvfarns
. . .
Casio might be a different story. For some reason I had the impression that I knew how many it was but I can't find the source so I won't tell you what I think it is lest I lead you astray.

Yes -- there's a Casio PX-350 review in the "DPBSD" thread.

There seem to be 4 "blended" dynamic levels. So the change of tone quality, with increasing MIDI velocity, is pretty smooth.

It's here:

http://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/1966202/Re:%20The%20DPBSD%20Project!.html#Post1966202

and the relevant section:

Quote:
. . .
- This is a smoothly blended multi-velocity layer sample set (Casio reports 4 layers, one step visible @ v=80).

- Timbre change with velocity is nicely spread out with no audible timbre steps.

Note that the number of "layers" is _not_ the same as the number of "loudnesses" the piano can produce. I'm pretty sure the Casio keyboard will produce every MIDI velocity from (nearly) 1 to 128, and the sound generator will increase the volume appropriately. 4 "layers" were sampled, but they're blended together when the sound is generated.

We need to get Dewster to stop whatever he's doing to earn a living, and get back to the test bench!

. Charles

#2242502 - 03/07/14 03:51 AM Re: Some more help needed!! [Re: Kawai James]
musicman100 Offline

Originally Posted By: Kawai James

Not directly from the instrument's control panel, no. However it should be possible to select these sound via MIDI.

The instrument used in the MIDI file will be remapped to a sound available on the ES7.

I hope this helps.

Kind regards,
James
x

Hi James ,

Thank you for your response.
Sorry just to clarify the sounds listed on page 122 and 123 list all the sounds the es7 can produce so in total it can produce 74 sounds?( plus the drum sounds listed on page 124- can you play them on the keyboard?)

Just out of interest why can't you access them all from the panel?

I have an old Yamaha psr70 my first keyboard in the 1980s and still works great. It also had sounds that was used in the styles and could only be selected by MIDI so I connected the midi out to the midi in of the Keyboard ( so connected to itself) and I could use the hidden sound on the keyboard!!
For some reason I get great satisfaction of doing something on an electronic device that is not might to do. Maybe I am just sad.

Edited by musicman100 (03/07/14 03:52 AM)

#2243530 - 03/09/14 10:11 AM Re: Some more help needed!! [Re: musicman100]
musicman100 Offline

Hi,

Another quick question would this pedal work with the es7

http://www.thomann.de/gb/fatar_vfp215m_pianodoppelpedal.htm

It has the right connector. Or this

http://www.thomann.de/gb/fatar_vfp2_10_stereo.htm

Here are the electric diagram of the pedals

http://www.synthax.de/media/files/studiologic/Fatar_sustain_pedal_foot_switch_user_guide_V1.pdf

Also looking at this stand

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Tiger-Music-KYS2...#productDetails

They are over half the price of the original kawai pedal and the Tiger is cheaper then an K and M stand.

Anyone has experience of these?

Thanks

#2243875 - 03/09/14 08:32 PM Re: Some more help needed!! [Re: musicman100]
9000 Post Club Member

Sorry just to clarify the sounds listed on page 122 and 123 list all the sounds the es7 can produce so in total it can produce 74 sounds?

Yes, although some of these sounds such as 'Guitar Cutting Noise' are more like single samples, and therefore not intended to be 'played' in the same way as other voices.

plus the drum sounds listed on page 124- can you play them on the keyboard?

Again, not directly from the panel, however it is possible to access these sounds via MIDI.

Just out of interest why can't you access them all from the panel?

That's a good question, however I'm afraid I do not know, however I expect the point about single samples mentioned above may be have something to do with this decision.

I have an old Yamaha psr70 my first keyboard in the 1980s and still works great. It also had sounds that was used in the styles and could only be selected by MIDI so I connected the midi out to the midi in of the Keyboard ( so connected to itself) and I could use the hidden sound on the keyboard!!

That's an interesting trick. wink I've never tried this myself, however in theory it should work (with 'Local Off' set to disable the internal sound connection and use MIDI only).

For some reason I get great satisfaction of doing something on an electronic device that is not might to do. Maybe I am just sad.

Nope, I think this is pretty cool too.
It's completely unrelated to MIDI, however back in the day when I owned an Amiga computer, I got great satisfaction out of 'ripping' the sound samples and music used in games and demos, then re-using them in my own (simple) music projects.

#2243880 - 03/09/14 08:36 PM Re: Some more help needed!! [Re: musicman100]
9000 Post Club Member

The cheaper stand will obviously work, although I cannot vouch for its quality compared to the K&M.

Regarding the pedals, I'm afraid I do not know. I would recommend using the Kawai pedal unit to ensure it works correctly with the ES7.

Kind regards,
James
x

#2244033 - 03/10/14 03:42 AM Re: Some more help needed!! [Re: musicman100]
musicman100 Offline

Hi James,

thanks for the reply.

Again off topic do you Ski- its one of my passion snow and skiing. Just wondered if you have skied in Japan?

Thanks

Nigel

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!

Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) Piano Music Sale - Dover Publications
Piano Music Sale
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Bob Marley - Is this love piano cover
by Danijelcro
Today at 07:28 AM
android - QWERTY bluetooth keyboard as a midi piano
by mathy10544
Today at 06:30 AM
Black Friday is here - Seen any deals?
by MeghanM
Today at 01:16 AM
MIDI in on a Kawai VPC-1...
by pocoapoco
Today at 12:35 AM
Just joined
by wise_manzard
Yesterday at 10:20 PM
Forum Stats
77074 Members
42 Forums
159413 Topics
2341744 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission