Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#2227652 - 02/07/14 08:22 PM Re: Yamaha CP4 vs Roland RD800? [Re: voxpops]
anotherscott Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: voxpops
I believe that Nord's polyphony count is for stereo voices, which would equate to a polyphony of 80-120 in a "standard" DP.

Nord specs it at 40 stereo, 60 mono.

(ads) Sweetwater / Roland
Your Next Keyboard is at Sweetwater

Click Here

#2227675 - 02/07/14 09:03 PM Re: Yamaha CP4 vs Roland RD800? [Re: Marko in Boston]
Marko in Boston Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Boston, Massachusetts
Originally Posted By: Marko in Boston
Slightly off topic, but helpful for sound comparison between CP4, RD700NX, and Artis.

https://soundcloud.com/sonic-sense-pro-audio/sets/kurzweil-roland-and-yamaha

I think I just found the matching video demo. Again, sorry a bit OT, but still helpful:

#2227689 - 02/07/14 09:56 PM Re: Yamaha CP4 vs Roland RD800? [Re: anotherscott]
voxpops Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Oregon
Originally Posted By: anotherscott
I believe that Nord's polyphony count is for stereo voices, which would equate to a polyphony of 80-120 in a "standard" DP.

Nord specs it at 40 stereo, 60 mono.

Thanks for clarifying.

Interesting that the mono count is only half as much again as the stereo.

#2227691 - 02/07/14 10:02 PM Re: Yamaha CP4 vs Roland RD800? [Re: voxpops]
anotherscott Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Showing once again that Nord has their own ways of doing things!

#2227721 - 02/07/14 11:55 PM Re: Yamaha CP4 vs Roland RD800? [Re: Musical Dan]
TheodorN Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Helsingborg, Sweden
No, the mono need is 2/3 of the stereo need, if the ratio is 40/60, stereo/mono. That actually means, that to get from mono to stereo, it's 50% increase of used polyphony.

I always thought that stereo took up twice as much of the polyphony, as compared to mono. That is, if you play one note in mono, the piano has one less notes of polyphony at the disposal. If you play one note in stereo, it's two less notes of polyphony you have left.

P(after) = P(before) - notesPlayed(mono)
P(after) = P(before) - 2*notesPlayed(stereo)

Am I misunderstanding something, or Nord, and the latter on purpose maybe?

Edit2: About that video, soundwise, of the three, I liked the Yamaha CP4 most.

Edited by TheodorN (02/08/14 12:06 AM)

http://www.youtube.com/user/thenorbass1

#2228037 - 02/08/14 06:46 PM Re: Yamaha CP4 vs Roland RD800? [Re: TheodorN]
anotherscott Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: TheodorN
No, the mono need is 2/3 of the stereo need, if the ratio is 40/60, stereo/mono. That actually means, that to get from mono to stereo, it's 50% increase of used polyphony.

Same thing. "50% increase" means the same as "half as much again."

I always thought that stereo took up twice as much of the polyphony, as compared to mono.

In most cases, yes. Nord is obviously doing something differently. That's why vox called it "interesting" in the first place.

To get back to the actual issue of polyphony limitations, Nord's approach of separate polyphony for the separate "engines" also has an advantage over some others. 40 stereo piano plus 18 synth (say, strings) means you can layer the two, and still have 40 piano notes available. On a typical board with 64 polyphony, which sounds like more, if you layered stereo piano and stereo strings, your piano polyphony would be reduced to 16!

Even with today's more common 128 polyphony boards, if you layered stereo piano and stereo strings on most boards, your piano polyphony would be down to 32, compared to the 40 you would still have on the Nord that, at first glance, appears to have less polyphony. Though of course, you'd be able to have 32 notes of strings sustaining, instead of only the last 18. Now, how beneficial it really is to have 32 notes of sustaining strings under your piano rather than 18 (and whether that's worth cutting your piano polyphony from 40 to 32) is a different question. ;-)

Anyway, the fact that Nord dedicates 40 notes of polyphony to the stereo piano may be why there are no real world complaints about it, as so many other boards that look more impressive on paper actually drop you to less than 40 once you go stereo and/or add more sounds with splits and layers.

#2228153 - 02/08/14 10:04 PM Re: Yamaha CP4 vs Roland RD800? [Re: Musical Dan]
TheodorN Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Well, voxpops said that mono uses up half as much as stereo. He was not talking about increase, but decrease, because mono uses less than stereo. Sorry, but this confused me, my understanding of "half as much" is, that if I eat half as much of nuts as John Doe, it means, if John Doe eats 60 nuts, I eat 30.

But at least we were talking about the same thing, I see that now, and thank you for your further explanations of polyphony, anotherscott.

#2228157 - 02/08/14 10:21 PM Re: Yamaha CP4 vs Roland RD800? [Re: TheodorN]
anotherscott Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Well, voxpops said that mono uses up half as much as stereo. He was not talking about increase, but decrease, because mono uses less than stereo. Sorry, but this confused me, my understanding of "half as much" is, that if I eat half as much of nuts as John Doe, it means, if John Doe eats 60 nuts, I eat 30.

I see you're from Sweden, so maybe this is a language issue, but voxpops didn't say "half as much" - he said "half as much again" which is entirely different. "Half as much" means 50%. "Half as much again" means 50% more. (Or, if you prefer, 150%.) It's not the most common way to say it, but it is correct. Hopefully that clears it all up. Glad I helped on the polyphony!

#2228162 - 02/08/14 10:35 PM Re: Yamaha CP4 vs Roland RD800? [Re: Musical Dan]
TheodorN Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Thank you, anotherscott, didn't realize that the "again" changed the meaning. cool Actually I'm from Iceland, but living in Sweden.

#2228527 - 02/09/14 03:50 PM Re: Yamaha CP4 vs Roland RD800? [Re: Musical Dan]
Marko in Boston Offline
500 Post Club Member

CP4 has music rest option. What do you do with RD800? No rest option, same as 700NX? Just curious what Roland owners do. I know it's not necessarily a significant feature for some. But it's a fairly important option on my checklist while shopping for my second DP.

Edited by Marko in Boston (02/09/14 03:54 PM)

#2228548 - 02/09/14 04:34 PM Re: Yamaha CP4 vs Roland RD800? [Re: Musical Dan]
Coker Offline

Loc: Connecticut,USA
Decent music stands placed behind the keyboard work well and won't shake the music when you dig into the keyboard. I have a CP4 but prefer to use music stand.

#2228599 - 02/09/14 05:37 PM Re: Yamaha CP4 vs Roland RD800? [Re: Coker]
Marko in Boston Offline
500 Post Club Member

I can understand that. I just hate to bring additional gear to a gig. All Kawai and Yamaha have music rest option, why not Roland?? I know, Im getting OT.

#2238083 - 02/26/14 05:56 PM Re: Yamaha CP4 vs Roland RD800? [Re: Musical Dan]
Marko in Boston Offline
500 Post Club Member

Very good side-by-side comparison. Both sound very nice. Tough choice for some.

#2238091 - 02/26/14 06:11 PM Re: Yamaha CP4 vs Roland RD800? [Re: Marko in Boston]
peterws Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Northern England.
Strewth, the guy likes to jabber doesn`t he? But he eventually got the job done.

Both sounded well. But did they sound even the least like an acoustic? No. Do we want `em to? Speaking for myself, maybe now and again. The Yammie was sweeter. Can you de tune it? grin For Joplin . . .

Edited by peterws (02/26/14 06:11 PM)

""

#2238097 - 02/26/14 06:35 PM Re: Yamaha CP4 vs Roland RD800? [Re: Musical Dan]
Marko in Boston Offline
500 Post Club Member

I must admit I liked the Yamaha a bit better on the acoustic pianos. However, the Studio on the Roland was nice too. What is he trying to show at 9:02? Damper/string resonance comparison?

#2238103 - 02/26/14 06:49 PM Re: Yamaha CP4 vs Roland RD800? [Re: peterws]
David Farley Offline

Loc: Illinois
Originally Posted By: peterws
Strewth, the guy likes to jabber doesn`t he? But he eventually got the job done.

Both sounded well. But did they sound even the least like an acoustic? No. Do we want `em to? Speaking for myself, maybe now and again. The Yammie was sweeter. Can you de tune it? grin For Joplin . . .

It has a "ragtime" setting on the S6 sample, but you could probably go beyond even that if you wanted.

#2239401 - 03/01/14 08:00 AM Re: Yamaha CP4 vs Roland RD800? [Re: Musical Dan]
Musical Dan Offline

Loc: Sydney, Australia
I tried the CP4 today and was very impressed. Loved all three piano sounds. Action was good.Good Ep sounds. Weight is much less (17.5kg) than the last generation of Stage Pianos. Interface was simple, and has has enough features for everything I really need. This will probably be be the one. Not to mention the price is much less than even the RD700NX (RD800 not yet in stores in Australia).

#2239407 - 03/01/14 08:24 AM Re: Yamaha CP4 vs Roland RD800? [Re: Musical Dan]
Kevin Keys Offline

Loc: Ohio
That was an excellent demonstration video. Both keyboards sound great.

My personal preference for acoustic pianos is the Yamaha.

I liked the other non piano sounds on the Roland maybe a little tiny bit better.

I am probably going to go for the CP4 because I mainly use AP sounds, but I am waiting for the MP7 to come out just to be certain.

I hope he will do a video comparing the CP4 and MP7.

#2242137 - 03/06/14 10:13 AM Re: Yamaha CP4 vs Roland RD800? [Re: Musical Dan]
Marko in Boston Offline
500 Post Club Member

I went to GC midafternoon yesterday for something non-keyboard related. Of course I had to visit the keyboard area regardless. They had the CP4 and RD800 side by on a lower lever rack with bench and pedal on each. VERY rare for GC!! So I ran out to my car and grabbed my headphones (HD380). Timing was perfect because the place was dead midafternoon and I had quick 20 minutes to spare.

So here are my brief findings on both. However, probably nothing that hasn’t already been said on the forums:

Action: Both very good and enjoyable to play. RD800 seems to be the same as RD700NX just a bit les thumping and faintly softer touch. IMO it feels like same mechanics of RD700NX with additional felt and changed the name from PHA3 to PHA4. That’s fine. It’s still great action. CP4 feels slightly lighter than RD800. Both very similar except that you can somewhat sense the let-off in the RD800. I want to say I prefer the CP4’s action a bit more due to the wooden keys. Wood keys seem to make it more realistic but I’m not convinced that’s only in my mind. Again, both very nice feel, but neither match the authenticity of the RM3 or GF if thats what you are expecting.

Sound: I mostly played the default APs this go-round and quickly tried a few voices. Both APs very good, but different for sure. RD800, despite what some say, I found the default Concert Grand to be quite good with some minor adjustment on the EQ and tone color. The sound seems to be “cleaner” and more dynamic than the CP4 but not as rich and a little plinky. I don’t hear the metallic-like sound as much as I did in the RD700NX somewhere between C4-C6. The CP4 CFX was full and rich. At default it’s just slightly over processed with reverb with some compression perhaps and not as “clean” as RD800 but still a little more authentic. The best way I can describe “clean” is that the RD800 was very clear and dynamic with wide stereo balance. The CP4 sounds very rich and authentic but it not as clean meaning that it almost sounds like a thin sheet of cloth is covering the sound or I need a swab to clean my ears. I just could not EQ that hint of muffled-like tone out of it. Yet, I still preferred the rich tones over the RD800. Truly a matter of taste. Keep in mind that everything I say means nothing when it comes to live performance. Im demoing with flat studio headphones and these are stage pianos designed to be played live with proper amplification.

Navigation/layout/esthetics: As good as Yamaha improved it’s navigation, I think RD800 would be better for live situation. RD800 quick and easy to use. No manual needed. I found everything I was looking almost instantly. CP4 took me a bit to figure out, yet much better that the previous CP5. Does not really matter which one you buy. You still will want to study and program it before you go live. Both are built with heavy duty plastics/polymer. IMO CP5 and RD700NX were much better looking and significantly more solid. I know, but heavy. Does it matter? Not really as long as they are roadworthy which they certainly are.

Conclusion: Not easy to give a definitive conclusion after 20 minutes, but I can say that both are suited very well for any professional for live performances. The RD800 offers more in features, editing, and “usable” voices in addition to great APs and good EPs. CP4 nicely covers all the bases for great APs and great EPs with a few “usable” voices. Many of the additional CP4 voices are drum sets and way too many IMO. One thing for sure is that these upgraded models will not blow you away from the previous version. The updates are almost disappointing if you had high expectation for a big change from the CP5 or RD700NX.
My final thoughts. I would be pleased with either one. The both have plenty to offer for stage and studio. However, If I was a CP5 or RD700NX owner, I would not race out to sell or trade for either one of these unless I really needed go with a lighter DP. The upgrades seem miniscule in the big picture of what we really want or would like to see in an upgrade. Will these upgrades make your life a little easier? Maybe. Will they sound and play significantly better than predecessors? Not by much. Is this another instance of planned obsolesces? Perhaps

#2242403 - 03/06/14 09:12 PM Re: Yamaha CP4 vs Roland RD800? [Re: Marko in Boston]
jeffreyfranz Offline

Loc: Central California
Very thoughtful evaluation. Thanks, Marko.

#2242507 - 03/07/14 04:32 AM Re: Yamaha CP4 vs Roland RD800? [Re: Musical Dan]
Aidan Offline

Loc: UK
Perhaps one of the great advantages the CP4/40 have over a lot of the opposition is that apart from the Nords, these are the first DPs I've come across which sound not only acceptable but actually very good in mono. For gigging pros, this is a really important point which Yamaha have really addressed. I spent about an hour this morning really honing a stock mono sound which is warm and expressive. When I switched back to some of the stereo offerings, I found myself _preferring_ my mono creation.

I haven't yet had chance to check out the RD800 but my memories of using my old RD700GX mono are not happy ones. It never failed to disappoint me how a DP which sounded so wonderful in the studio could sound so crappy live.

Btw, I agree with Marko that the standard presets don't show the CP4/40 at its best – but the good news is that you can go really quite deep with the editing to create a sound you like with relative ease. The first port of call for customisers should be the Velocity Depth and Offset parameters, closely followed by the Filter Cut-off and Res controls.

#2242543 - 03/07/14 08:04 AM Re: Yamaha CP4 vs Roland RD800? [Re: Aidan]
Coker Offline

Would you care to share your settings for the mono sound?

#2242561 - 03/07/14 09:17 AM Re: Yamaha CP4 vs Roland RD800? [Re: Coker]
Aidan Offline

OK I'll try. I started out with the standard CF mono factory preset. The rest of the settings run like this:

COMMON
Reverb effect: NHall
Rev time 1.9ms
Init time 22.1ms

PART

Play mode:
Gain 118 Rev send 30
Vel Depth 68 Vel Offset 58

Filter:
Cut-off +5 Res +6

Effect A
Hi res: 0.6 Dry/Wet D46>W, all other settings as per preset

I think I left everything else as it was but can't be 100% sure, as I did some digging. I may have upped the low frequencies in the EQ501 effect on A.

#2242562 - 03/07/14 09:18 AM Re: Yamaha CP4 vs Roland RD800? [Re: Musical Dan]
Aidan Offline

I should add the caveat that you may need to adjust these further depending on your amplification. The above sounds good to me through a single QSC K10, my standard amp.

#2242735 - 03/07/14 04:35 PM Re: Yamaha CP4 vs Roland RD800? [Re: Aidan]
Coker Offline

Thanks Very Much. I'll try it

#2244933 - 03/11/14 08:03 PM Re: Yamaha CP4 vs Roland RD800? [Re: Musical Dan]
Marko in Boston Offline
500 Post Club Member

I demoed the CP4 and RD800 again this afternoon for over an hour. They are both so nice sounding in their own way. At this point, Im changing my mind and leaning more to the the RD800. I might give the action to CP4 but just by a slight hair. Now, I think the RD800 might be the clear winner in overall sound and functionality - the whole package. The RD800 has something new that I was never able to hear with the RD700nx. Surprising to me because I'm not a Roland fan. I dug into the piano and tone designer as well as the live set edits. Wow, very impressed with the sound I was getting. AND I think I finally understand and hear what the "string resonance" is all about. Yes, the sound is "alive" with string resonance. Roland did something different this time around with the RD800 that truly addressed everything I disliked about their piano sound. Im certain I would have purchased the the RD800 today if I didn't know the MP7 is on it's way. I can't imagine the MP7 disappointing me and Im sure that will be my choice in the end. As nice as the RD800 is I cant see myself spending $2,500 on it knowing that the MP11 is within that reach and the MP7 much less. HOWEVER, Im glad and fortunate to have options now.

#2244971 - 03/11/14 08:52 PM Re: Yamaha CP4 vs Roland RD800? [Re: Marko in Boston]
ando Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Melbourne, Australia
I think I finally understand and hear what the "string resonance" is all about. Yes, the sound is "alive" with string resonance.

thumb Told ya! It is a real thing - glad you've come across to our side. grin

#2244990 - 03/11/14 09:40 PM Re: Yamaha CP4 vs Roland RD800? [Re: ando]
Marko in Boston Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: ando
I think I finally understand and hear what the "string resonance" is all about. Yes, the sound is "alive" with string resonance.

thumb Told ya! It is a real thing - glad you've come across to our side. grin

You got me, ando! I think you might be right without a doubt. I can somewhat detect the string resonance on my ES7 , but clearly on the RD800 with the option of 0-127. On some pieces I played with the string resonances turned up gave a very full, organic tone that indeed seems to come "alive" . This does not necessarily means it sounds "better" than the CP4 but certainly more "believable" . Maybe this is why I prefer the sound of the CG on my ES7 over the CP4 as I mentioned in a previous post.

So, I guess it's fair to say that string resonance is a credible and beneficial feature on a digital piano if properly implemented into the sound engine by the manufacturer. I'm also assuming string resonance can vary per manufacturer and not all sound and perform the same.

#2245002 - 03/11/14 09:59 PM Re: Yamaha CP4 vs Roland RD800? [Re: Marko in Boston]
ando Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Melbourne, Australia

So, I guess it's fair to say that string resonance is a credible and beneficial feature on a digital piano if properly implemented into the sound engine by the manufacturer. I'm also assuming string resonance can vary per manufacturer and not all sound and perform the same.

Very much so. But I guess it's in the eye of the beholder which brands make a given piano come alive. For me, any string resonance is better than none - but some do it better than others. Roland does it well, Casio was reasonable. Kawai is good on their higher models. I can't recall if I ever experienced it on a Yamaha product - but if I did it wasn't great. The Yamahas have a nice overall tone in terms of samples, but they don't quite feel "alive" to me. That's why I won't even bother trying to track down a CP4 to try out (unless it's right in front of me, but I won't drive across town to find one). I was very disappointed by Yamaha's continued neglect of string resonance. I have a Yamaha acoustic anyway - plenty of resonance there! I'm very excited to try the Kawai MP7 because it might just fit the bill for a quiet practice/small gigs piano.

#2258217 - 04/07/14 02:50 PM Re: Yamaha CP4 vs Roland RD800? [Re: Musical Dan]
Marko in Boston Offline
500 Post Club Member

Not a "vs" video, but a nice little jam with both CP4 and RD800.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Spare parts forTechnics SX-P30 (late 90s)
by T E Bekken
Today at 02:00 AM
Notation Question in Ravel
by Anne H
Today at 12:52 AM
Viennese Action
by PhilipInChina
Today at 12:36 AM
Besides Evenness, Any other tips for good Trilling?
by Paul678
Today at 12:15 AM
October Piano Bar
by ladypayne
Yesterday at 11:24 PM
Who's Online
80 registered (beet31425, Badinage, alfredo capurso, 19 invisible), 1139 Guests and 14 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76384 Members
42 Forums
157906 Topics
2319069 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission