Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
60 registered (barbaram, AndyP, angga888, Beemer, bennevis, AZ_Astro, 17 invisible), 1231 Guests and 9 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#2222501 - 01/29/14 12:12 PM How to practice trills
Danijelcro Offline

Loc: Croatia
I have problem of playing some fast thrillers, is there any book or some exercise for improve thrillers?
Any advise will also be good

Edited by Danijelcro (01/29/14 12:27 PM)

Ad 800 (Pearl River)
Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano
#2222508 - 01/29/14 12:17 PM Re: How to practice thrillers [Re: Danijelcro]
Polyphonist Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York City
What do you mean by "thrillers?" Pianistic pyrotechnics?

Polyphonist

#2222511 - 01/29/14 12:23 PM Re: How to practice thrillers [Re: Danijelcro]
Danijelcro Offline

When you have over a note sign Tr (or like Bach have his own signs for his thrillers)

#2222512 - 01/29/14 12:24 PM Re: How to practice thrillers [Re: Danijelcro]
JoelW Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: USA
Trills.

#2222515 - 01/29/14 12:27 PM Re: How to practice thrillers [Re: Danijelcro]
Danijelcro Offline

yeah sorry i made a mistake when was writing post I met trills yes

#2222517 - 01/29/14 12:29 PM Re: How to practice thrillers [Re: Danijelcro]
JoelW Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Are you throllering?

#2222521 - 01/29/14 12:33 PM Re: How to practice thrillers [Re: Danijelcro]
Polyphonist Offline
7000 Post Club Member

I would recommend practicing them by just alternating between two notes, slowly at first, and then very gradually increasing the tempo, say by a metronome notch every 10 seconds. When you get to a point where the trill becomes uneven, stop, go back a few notches, and practice it at that speed until you can do it cleanly and evenly however high you want it. Once you learn the measured trill, then attempt the unmeasured one.

Click to reveal..
They can be quite thricky, but I'm sure if you thry hard enough you'll master them in the end.

Polyphonist

#2222524 - 01/29/14 12:37 PM Re: How to practice trills [Re: Danijelcro]
bennevis Online   content
5000 Post Club Member

Slow, even, and rhythmic. Then build up speed. No rushing.

#2222525 - 01/29/14 12:38 PM Re: How to practice trills [Re: Danijelcro]
JoelW Offline
4000 Post Club Member

#2222559 - 01/29/14 01:10 PM Re: How to practice trills [Re: Danijelcro]
phantomFive Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: California
Hanon could help. Several of the exercises are titled 'preparation for the trill'

Edited by phantomFive (01/29/14 01:11 PM)

#2222560 - 01/29/14 01:10 PM Re: How to practice trills [Re: Danijelcro]
Atrys Offline
500 Post Club Member

Starting slow and building up speed is a terribly inefficient way to acquire trills. This is because trilling uses the interossei muscles of the hand in order to isolate the movements from affecting the wrist. This means that trilling has a very specific sensation that is best acquired not by building up tempo, but simply by "note dropping".

Practice a quick alteration of just two notes. Do this until it is fleeting, easy, even, and you can feel freedom in the wrist (freedom in the wrist means you are correctly activating the interossei muscles). Then do this with three notes, and so forth. This is the quickest and most efficient way to acquire trills. You'll find the sensation very quickly and the rest will follow.
"A good intention but fixed and resolute - bent on high and holy ends, we shall find means to them on every side and at every moment; and even obstacles and opposition will but make us 'like the fabled specter-ships,' which sail the fastest in the very teeth of the wind."
R. W. Emerson

#2222565 - 01/29/14 01:22 PM Re: How to practice trills [Re: Danijelcro]
BruceD Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Victoria, BC
Whatever method you use, whether it be gradually increasing speed or whether it be "note dropping" as Atrys calls it, make sure that at some point you are grouping (accenting) your trills in odd number of notes. That way, the accent isn't always coming on the same note in the trill; this will help even out the execution .

Regards,

#2222567 - 01/29/14 01:28 PM Re: How to practice trills [Re: BruceD]
Atrys Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: BruceD
make sure that at some point you are grouping (accenting) your trills in odd number of notes. That way, the accent isn't always coming on the same note in the trill; this will help even out the execution .

This is completely true and very important. I should have mentioned: when acquiring the trill by incrementing the number of alterations, make sure you can play the current number of alterations evenly by starting the trill on either of the fingers.
"A good intention but fixed and resolute - bent on high and holy ends, we shall find means to them on every side and at every moment; and even obstacles and opposition will but make us 'like the fabled specter-ships,' which sail the fastest in the very teeth of the wind."
R. W. Emerson

#2222570 - 01/29/14 01:36 PM Re: How to practice trills [Re: Danijelcro]
Atrys Offline
500 Post Club Member

The methods discussed at ~6:10 (sparing the anecdote start at ~7:35) in this video are the most scientifically-aligned and effective methods of acquiring the trill that I've seen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ANaWudjhJkw
R. W. Emerson

#2222599 - 01/29/14 02:29 PM Re: How to practice trills [Re: Danijelcro]
gooddog Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Seattle area, WA
Great advice here. I'll add - stay completely relaxed and if possible, trill from your wrist rather than from your fingers - like the motion you use when opening a door knob.

Deborah

#2222664 - 01/29/14 04:20 PM Re: How to practice trills [Re: Danijelcro]
ScriabinAddict Offline

Trills (for me anyways) = relaxation + weight transfer + wrist at the height of your knuckles. They'll get better with time as you become more relaxed. Working on your finger independence can help a bit (i.e. through dohnanyi, liszt exercises, hannon etc.).

#2222676 - 01/29/14 04:38 PM Re: How to practice trills [Re: Danijelcro]
pianoloverus Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

I love Friedrich Gulda's Aria:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m017xsXZTNc&feature=related

but could not quite master the trills. Maybe I'll try again in the future.

If anyone is interested in the score, please send me a PM with your email address.

A few basic questions:

1. I tend to do a lot of trills with alternating fingers(forgot the name for this kind of trill)e.g. 13231323. What are the advantages and disadvantages of this fingering?

2. What are some causes for trill breakdown? By this I mean the trill starts out quite well but eventually the fingers get "stuck" and kind of stop.

Edited by pianoloverus (01/29/14 04:41 PM)

#2222694 - 01/29/14 05:00 PM Re: How to practice trills [Re: Danijelcro]
Polyphonist Offline
7000 Post Club Member

The really difficult thing to do well is playing a trill while carrying a melody with other fingers of the same hand. I've just started practicing the Beethoven 106 - finally - and there is quite a bit of that, and it's a pain in the rear...

Polyphonist

#2222697 - 01/29/14 05:07 PM Re: How to practice trills [Re: Polyphonist]
anrpiano Offline

Loc: Chicago
Originally Posted By: Polyphonist
The really difficult thing to do well is playing a trill while carrying a melody with other fingers of the same hand. I've just started practicing the Beethoven 106 - finally - and there is quite a bit of that, and it's a pain in the rear...

I think this is the piece which puts to bed all trill problems. All the fingers get their turns while the rest of the hand is usually quite occupied. Fun stuff.
Downers Grove, IL 60515

#2222713 - 01/29/14 05:36 PM Re: How to practice trills [Re: Danijelcro]
Polyphonist Offline
7000 Post Club Member

And the trills aren't even the hardest thing in the fugue, which in terms of technical difficulty is total insanity. And let's not even get started on the musical difficulty.

Polyphonist

#2222732 - 01/29/14 06:33 PM Re: How to practice trills [Re: Polyphonist]
anrpiano Offline

Loc: Chicago
And the trills aren't even the hardest thing in the fugue, which in terms of technical difficulty is total insanity. And let's not even get started on the musical difficulty.

But worth every one of those hundreds of hours! Time, extremely well spent.
Downers Grove, IL 60515

#2222749 - 01/29/14 06:59 PM Re: How to practice trills [Re: Danijelcro]
Polyphonist Offline
7000 Post Club Member

There must be better ways to spend time than studying the Hammerklavier sonata. However, just now I can't think of what they are.

Polyphonist

#2222759 - 01/29/14 07:15 PM Re: How to practice trills [Re: Polyphonist]
beet31425 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Bay Area, CA
There must be better ways to spend time than studying the Hammerklavier sonata. However, just now I can't think of what they are.

Suggestion: Spend more time with the score away from the piano. You can notice all kinds of helpful things that you'll miss when actually playing.

-J
Schubert Immersion: Bb Impromptu; C# minor and Ab Moments Musicaux; accompanying four songs (Suleika II, Rastlose Liebe, Du Liebst Mich Nicht, Im Fruhling); listening intensely to Die Schöne Müllerin and Winterreise

Chopin: first Ballade; Mozart: D minor concerto;

#2222762 - 01/29/14 07:20 PM Re: How to practice trills [Re: Danijelcro]
Polyphonist Offline
7000 Post Club Member

How did that follow?

Polyphonist

#2222780 - 01/29/14 08:11 PM Re: How to practice trills [Re: Polyphonist]
gooddog Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Seattle area, WA
I've encountered that in the Chopin Barcarolle and in the Waldstein. Practicing below tempo with measured trills, then gradually speeding up broke the barrier. For double trills - same thing.

Deborah

#2223216 - 01/30/14 03:03 PM Re: How to practice trills [Re: Polyphonist]
slava_richter Offline

Loc: Providence, RI

Late Beethoven is the apotheosis of the trill. Treacherous difficulties in Op. 106, 109, and 111. I think the worst of it is in Op. 106 first movement, where you have to play octaves around the trills. Even when listening to Gilels, you hear a very slight hiccup before each octave where he has to stop trilling momentarily to play the octaves. Op. 109 has its brutal difficulty where you have to do trill+melody in both hands; Op. 106 also has this in the first movement. I'm toying with the idea of learning Op. 111 but I first have to see about those trills at the end...

Speaking of which, how do people generally play these trill+melody passages? Do you play the melody note 'in-between' the trill notes, or do you play the melody note together with one of the trill notes and just bring it out? I've been practicing it the former way. In some pieces - the trill+octave in Op. 106, or in Op. 109 where the melody is a 10th away from the trill - I don't see any other choice. Even when reach is not an issue, I find that it sounds much better when the melody note is played 'in-between' the trill notes.

In response to the OP, as others have stated, the hand must be completely free, especially the knuckles where the fingers meet the hand. Otherwise, you will lock up after a while (the length of this 'while' depends on how tense you are). If the hand and knuckles are perfectly free, you should be able to keep trilling without any unevenness or locking up.

#2223219 - 01/30/14 03:14 PM Re: How to practice trills [Re: slava_richter]
beet31425 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Bay Area, CA
Originally Posted By: slava_richter
Speaking of which, how do people generally play these trill+melody passages? Do you play the melody note 'in-between' the trill notes, or do you play the melody note together with one of the trill notes and just bring it out? I've been practicing it the former way. In some pieces - the trill+octave in Op. 106, or in Op. 109 where the melody is a 10th away from the trill - I don't see any other choice. Even when reach is not an issue, I find that it sounds much better when the melody note is played 'in-between' the trill notes.

I never play the trill note simultaneously with the melody note, even if it's feasible reach-wise. I just don't have the technique for it, and the approximation (leaving the trill note out when the melody sounds) sounds very very good.

I'm influenced here by my teacher, who takes the view that all music is a sequence of aural illusions, and focusing extensively on playing every black dot exactly as written is often not the best approach for most of us.

-Jason
Schubert Immersion: Bb Impromptu; C# minor and Ab Moments Musicaux; accompanying four songs (Suleika II, Rastlose Liebe, Du Liebst Mich Nicht, Im Fruhling); listening intensely to Die Schöne Müllerin and Winterreise

Chopin: first Ballade; Mozart: D minor concerto;

#2223221 - 01/30/14 03:21 PM Re: How to practice trills [Re: slava_richter]
Polyphonist Offline
7000 Post Club Member

I'm toying with the idea of learning Op. 111...

Unless you are absolutely committed and sure, AND have the immense requisite musical capacity, you will butcher it. Please don't play it unless you really feel you want and need to. One does not simply "toy with the idea" of playing late Beethoven sonatas.

Polyphonist

#2223229 - 01/30/14 03:43 PM Re: How to practice trills [Re: Danijelcro]
JoelW Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Is Op. 111 his greatest sonata?

#2223244 - 01/30/14 04:35 PM Re: How to practice trills [Re: Polyphonist]
slava_richter Offline

Loc: Providence, RI
I'm toying with the idea of learning Op. 111...

Unless you are absolutely committed and sure, AND have the immense requisite musical capacity, you will butcher it. Please don't play it unless you really feel you want and need to. One does not simply "toy with the idea" of playing late Beethoven sonatas.

You're absolutely right. Perhaps the word 'toy' is a poor choice since it suggests a lack of seriousness. What I really mean is that I am indecisive: I badly *want* to play it and if I chose to do so, I would be committed, but I fear all of the things you have mentioned (having the musical and technical capacity, not butchering it, etc.). I think that my fear of butchering it will probably keep me from starting work on it (this has happened in the past as well). It's too sacred a work.

I don't like to make statements of 'greatest' anything in music, but Op. 111 is my favorite piano sonata in the entire literature, not just by Beethoven. So in that sense, according to me, yes, it's the greatest of his (and everyone else's) sonatas!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
Christmas Header
- > Gift Ideas for Music Lovers < -
From PianoSupplies.com a division of Piano World.
-------------------
The December Free Piano Newsletter
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) Piano Music Sale - Dover Publications
Piano Music Sale
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
A new clip of Don Pullen in action
by rintincop
12/17/14 11:03 PM
Learn a Song in 7 minutes: Carol of the Bells
by Hugh Sung
12/17/14 10:11 PM
December 2014 Holiday Piano Bar
by piano_primo_1
12/17/14 06:14 PM
The Language of Taste - Pianos, Wine ... and Birds
by PNO40
12/17/14 05:16 PM
Good Practice Amp for Roland FP7F?
by TheloniousPunk
12/17/14 04:24 PM
Forum Stats
77333 Members
42 Forums
159946 Topics
2348973 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission