2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
30 members (Charles Cohen, Burkhard, AlkansBookcase, brennbaer, cmoody31, 20/20 Vision, admodios, 9 invisible), 1,231 guests, and 330 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
V
OP Offline
V
Hi Everyone,

Happy New Year, and hope you've all had a great week! Here is our latest interview with the chair of piano at NEC, Bruce Brubaker. Here, the Juilliard alumnus talks about Horowitz, music criticism, and assesses this interesting quotation from Schoenberg:
"It must be admitted that in the period around 1900 many artists overdid themselves in exhibiting the power of the emotion they were capable of feeling…".

As always, thank you for reading smile

http://www.examiner.com/article/interview-with-pianist-bruce-brubaker

Last edited by vlhorowitz; 01/17/14 08:26 PM.
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Thanks for another great interview with another great interviewee.

I had the pleasure (and privilege) of meeting Bruce, through his being a judge at the Boston amateur competition. It's one of the great things about those events, that we humble amateurs have the opportunity to play for people like Bruce Brubaker, people who are far above those that most of us would usually have the opportunity to play for, to speak with them, and to be taken seriously by them. He was enormously gracious and enthusiastic about listening to and working with us amateurs.

From this interview that covered such a very wide array of musical subjects, I'll comment on just this little thing, about Liszt's playing:

But, in terms of sound waves, I’m fairly confident that to our standards of technical accomplishment, I doubt it would be satisfying to us. I base this on the recordings from the early twentieth century that we do have. I’m a tremendous fan of recordings from period - the 1910’s, 20’s, 30’s - but at the same time, my belief is that the music that is completed by me now, the listener listening now, is not the same as it was for a listener from that time.

Unless I'm misunderstanding what he means, I have to disagree. I assume he means it in two ways:

-- Liszt's technique wasn't so over-the-top by modern standards, and....

-- We just wouldn't so much appreciate that style of playing.

And, I base this on the same thing that he bases what he's saying: the early recordings that we do have. When I hear those recordings, from the best of those pianists what I hear is extraordinary technique by any standard, and a style of playing that's more satisfying than almost any more-recent playing.

Subjective?? Sure. I can only speak for myself. smile

T
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
T
Hi, Mark! Well, I remember attending an informal lecture-recital that Garrick Ohlsson conducted some 40 years ago, when he was a young phenom, and shortly after he had won the prestigious Chopin Competition that "put him on the map". As part of his commentary (in 1972 or so), he said that he felt pianistic technique had actually declined somewhat relative to the early 20th century practitioners -- meaning Lhevinne, Friedman, and Hoffman as well as Rubenstein/Horowitz/Rachmaninov et al. He said that from the early recordings, he could get a sense of what these pianists "had in reserve" -- the technique they COULD have visited upon a piece had they so chosen, but didn't for artistic reasons -- and that their "actual" prowess eclipsed that of his generation. I found that POV most interesting, and I guess I'd be curious whether he still sees it that way.

W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
W
Finally got around to reading this interview, and am glad I did - interesting, informative, and provocative stuff. I've known about his blog for awhile and think it's one of the better ones around.

I had not heard his playing until recently, when BBC Radio 3 included him in one of their weekly new music shows - I was quite taken with what he did with some of Philip Glass' piano music, which I'd never much liked before. It was good to have my mind changed...

V
OP Offline
V
Thank you all for reading and commenting smile

wr, I couldn't agree more: his Glass playing was revelatory and his writings are worth keeping up with.

PS: I'll have an interview with Marc-Andre Hamelin up in the next few days.

In an interview in International Piano Magazine sometime in the last few years, Alexander Braginsky says that the general level of technical skill today is astronomically higher than say 20-50 years ago. He said something like "When I was growing up, only a handful of pianists could really handle a piece like the Rachmaninov PC #3, but today tons of teenagers handle it easily." Of course, this doesn't that the top few technicians of an earlier time(Horowitz, Rachmaninov, Friedmann, Rosenthal, etc.)weren't at least equal if not superior to most of the today's young technical wizards.

Last edited by pianoloverus; 01/29/14 04:29 PM.

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,166
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission