Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#2223260 - 01/30/14 05:34 PM Searching for a 7'-9' "piano to die for" in Chicago
iLaw Offline

Loc: Chicago
For the past several months I've been questing for a seven- to nine-foot "piano to die for" (new or used) in the greater Chicago area. I've spent the past 40 years playing mostly NY S&S Bs and Ds, which have thus figured prominently in my current search. That said, the comments on this forum convinced me to cast my net a little wider and I've looked at some remarkable non-Astorian pianos. Too many to catalog here, and no slight to the other makes I've seen, but I have to comment that I recently played for the first time both a Steingraeber C-212 and a Bösendorfer 225. What remarkable pianos. Thanks for the tips and keep 'em coming.

Larry.

(ads 568) Hailun Pianos

#2223268 - 01/30/14 06:00 PM Re: Searching for a 7'-9' "piano to die for" in Chicago [Re: iLaw]
adamp88 Offline

Loc: Omaha, NE
If they haven't sold it yet, Pianoforte has an F212 that is stunning as well. If I recall correctly, it's voiced warmer than the typical Fazioli sound, and benefits greatly. They've also got an F278 and a Schimmel concert grand for quite a steal, comparatively speaking.

Pianoforte in general is a must visit if you're in the market for a large grand. They take excellent care of their pianos, too.

Edited by adamp88 (01/30/14 06:04 PM)

ASB Piano Service
Omaha, NE

#2223275 - 01/30/14 06:29 PM Re: Searching for a 7'-9' "piano to die for" in Chicago [Re: adamp88]
iLaw Offline

Yes, I played the F212; the F278 was temporarily unavailable (a recital going on upstairs). The salesman also told me that they had just received a Shigeru (SK-7 I believe), but it wasn't even uncrated yet, so I have to get back down to PianoForte. Perhaps this Saturday.

The Schimmel is gone, I suspect. I specifically asked to look at a Schimmel (I'd especially like to try a K219 and K230), but he told me they had none in stock.

Larry.

#2223284 - 01/30/14 06:57 PM Re: Searching for a 7'-9' "piano to die for" in Chicago [Re: iLaw]
Norbert Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Surrey, B.C.
It's impossible to give advice on hot 7' grands available in Chicago right now.

Unless one is there and tries each one of them...

Recommending some of the top makes and aim at those would make sense. The easy way out....ha

Norbert smile

Edited by Norbert (01/30/14 06:58 PM)

#2223292 - 01/30/14 07:15 PM Re: Searching for a 7'-9' "piano to die for" in Chicago [Re: iLaw]
PianoWorksATL Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Atlanta, GA
I have a deep love the the Bösie 225. 3hearts

A few more suggestions...

Grotrian 225
Estonia L225
Seiler SE-242
Blüthner model 2
Sauter 220 Omega
Steinway C (if you can find one)
Mason & Hamlin BB
Pre-Owned: Yamaha, Kawai, Steinway & other fine pianos
Full Restoration Shop
www.PianoWorks.com
www.youtube.com/PianoWorksAtlanta

#2223301 - 01/30/14 07:38 PM Re: Searching for a 7'-9' "piano to die for" in Chicago [Re: iLaw]
JohnSprung Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Reseda, California

Here's a 1961 NY D for $59K

http://livingpianos.com/pianos/steinway-concert-grand-piano-model-d-370730/

It's out here in LA, but may be worth shipping. The same company just sold a 1935 Baldwin 9 Ft. for under $20K.

Used concert grands may be few and far between, but bear in mind that buyers like you are fewer and farther between. So, give it time, and let all the local dealers know what you're looking for. They'll call you the instant something good comes in.

Knabe Grand # 10927
Yamaha CP33
Kawai FS690

#2223304 - 01/30/14 07:42 PM Re: Searching for a 7'-9' "piano to die for" in Chicago [Re: iLaw]
Minnesota Marty Offline

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014

Loc: Rochester MN
Have you given a call to Farley's Pianos up in Madison, WI?

Tim does truly fine rebuilding and you might ask what he has on the floor.

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.

#2223320 - 01/30/14 08:35 PM Re: Searching for a 7'-9' "piano to die for" in Chicago [Re: JohnSprung]
phantomFive Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: California
Originally Posted By: JohnSprung
So, give it time, and let all the local dealers know what you're looking for. They'll call you the instant something good comes in.

That is good advice.

#2223386 - 01/30/14 11:08 PM Re: Searching for a 7'-9' "piano to die for" in Chicago [Re: phantomFive]
Karl Watson Offline

iLaw:

If you look as far afield as Madison, WI, I would most certainly consult Mr. Reeder in Lansing, MI. He almost always has a concert grand and other large grands, and they are all well prepped.

There is an easy train connection.

Karl Watson
Staten Island, NY

#2223427 - 01/31/14 01:17 AM Re: Searching for a 7'-9' "piano to die for" in Chicago [Re: iLaw]
ClsscLib Offline

Platinum Supporter until Jan 02 2013

Loc: Northern VA, U.S.
Originally Posted By: iLaw
For the past several months I've been questing for a seven- to nine-foot "piano to die for" (new or used) in the greater Chicago area. I've spent the past 40 years playing mostly NY S&S Bs and Ds, which have thus figured prominently in my current search. That said, the comments on this forum convinced me to cast my net a little wider and I've looked at some remarkable non-Astorian pianos. Too many to catalog here, and no slight to the other makes I've seen, but I have to comment that I recently played for the first time both a Steingraeber C-212 and a Bösendorfer 225. What remarkable pianos. Thanks for the tips and keep 'em coming.

Larry.

Try the Steingraeber D-232 if you can. Both it and the 212 are amazing instruments, but they are different.

"People may say I can't sing, but no one can ever say I didn't sing."

-- Florence Foster Jenkins

#2223516 - 01/31/14 09:06 AM Re: Searching for a 7'-9' "piano to die for" in Chicago [Re: Karl Watson]
PattyP Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Texas
Originally Posted By: Karl Watson
iLaw:

If you look as far afield as Madison, WI, I would most certainly consult Mr. Reeder in Lansing, MI. He almost always has a concert grand and other large grands, and they are all well prepped.

There is an easy train connection.

Karl Watson
Staten Island, NY

I was going to suggest Reeder's, also.

A tired dog is a good dog.

#2223532 - 01/31/14 09:37 AM Re: Searching for a 7'-9' "piano to die for" in Chicago [Re: PianoWorksATL]
iLaw Offline

Originally Posted By: PianoWorksATL

A few more suggestions...

Grotrian 225
Estonia L225
Seiler SE-242
Blüthner model 2
Sauter 220 Omega
Steinway C (if you can find one)
Mason & Hamlin BB

Lots of good ideas there.

PianoForte showed me the Grotrian 208 (Charis) but unfortunately they did not have a 225, which is definitely on my list.

The Mason & Hamlin dealer had lots of smaller M&Hs, new and used, but no BB. He said the holiday season cleaned him out of larger pianos (I guess the economy is looking up on Chicago's north side!).

Seiler, Blüthner, Sauter so far are nowhere to be found.

Larry.

#2223534 - 01/31/14 09:51 AM Re: Searching for a 7'-9' "piano to die for" in Chicago [Re: iLaw]
Rich D. Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Rehoboth Beach De. USA
Big fan of the Grotrian 225 so glad that is on your list. The C.Bechstein 234 I recommend should be as well. Good luck.

Rich

"Life is like a piano....what you get out of it depends on how you play it"
Anonymous

#2223556 - 01/31/14 10:21 AM Re: Searching for a 7'-9' "piano to die for" in Chicago [Re: iLaw]
LJC Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York
I suggest you try them all because a piano you would die for is not necessarily one I or anyone else would die for. I do know that Allegro Pianos in CT has a Bosie Imperial, a Blutnner concert grand and a used NY S&S concert grand with new action parts in stock. All three are good representatives of these models. Call Ori if you are wiling to travel.

#2223557 - 01/31/14 10:23 AM Re: Searching for a 7'-9' "piano to die for" in Chicago [Re: iLaw]
LJC Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York
PS. Rich of Cunningham's in Phily most probably has a BB or two.

#2223564 - 01/31/14 10:32 AM Re: Searching for a 7'-9' "piano to die for" in Chicago [Re: iLaw]
Chrisl Offline

Loc: Chicago, IL
Boy Larry, I'm so jealous! wink Those piano's are drop dead gorgeous, esp, the Steingraeber D-232! I can only imagine how it sounds! Good Luck in your quest wink
I live also in Chicago's N. side and surprising to hear the market got sold out of larger pianos, really surprising. I don't see much impr. of the economy with the number of closed businesses.

I just started playing, and sure wish I had the funds to buy a grand piano. I've played several and they, imo, are much more emotionally connecting to the music. Something about an acoustic piano vs a dp. No comparison.

Anyway, I just wanted to wish you luck Larry.
Chris

#2223568 - 01/31/14 10:38 AM Re: Searching for a 7'-9' "piano to die for" in Chicago [Re: LJC]
iLaw Offline

Originally Posted By: LJC

I was told here in Chicago that the Milwaukee M&H dealer had a BB as well, but the only Milwaukee dealer I can find on the internet appears to be Hartland, which does not list a BB in stock on its web page.

Which reminds me, dealers. I'm occasionally encountering some fairly 20th Century web presence out there!

Larry.

#2223576 - 01/31/14 10:49 AM Re: Searching for a 7'-9' "piano to die for" in Chicago [Re: iLaw]
terminaldegree Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: western Wisconsin
Sometimes I've found it helpful to call the phone numbers for the US distributors (we list 'em in the Piano Buyer) and ask who has what. When I've written or coordinated reviews in the past, they often know what the dealer inventories are related to their brands - at least the "new" inventory.

I'm pretty sure Hartland is the M&H dealer for the Milwaukee area. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
Casio px-200, Bechstein A190 #192939 @ home
Steinway A #585209, B #416809 @ work
Schimmel 130T #339100, on loan

#2223577 - 01/31/14 10:50 AM Re: Searching for a 7'-9' "piano to die for" in Chicago [Re: iLaw]
Minnesota Marty Offline

Hi Larry,

I don't know anything about this dealer, but it might be worth contacting them.

http://www.americanmusicworld.com/product/Mason%20and%20Hamlin%207%20Ebony%20Satin

#2223579 - 01/31/14 10:52 AM Re: Searching for a 7'-9' "piano to die for" in Chicago [Re: Chrisl]
iLaw Offline

Originally Posted By: Chrisl

... esp, the Steingraeber D-232! I can only imagine how it sounds!

Chris,

No need to imagine. If you're on Chicago's north side you're within walking distance of one. Dust off your playing before you go, though, because they have it up on a stage so you may get an audience.

Thanks for the good wishes, and hang on to that digital. You'll want it for late-night practicing or when everybody else in the house is watching the Super Bowl.

Larry.

#2223584 - 01/31/14 11:03 AM Re: Searching for a 7'-9' "piano to die for" in Chicago [Re: Norbert]
iLaw Offline

Originally Posted By: Norbert

It's impossible to give advice ... Unless one is there and tries each one of them ...

I think you're on to my search strategy!

Larry.

#2223643 - 01/31/14 12:58 PM Re: Searching for a 7'-9' "piano to die for" in Chicago [Re: iLaw]
Chrisl Offline

Loc: Chicago, IL
Originally Posted By: Chrisl

... esp, the Steingraeber D-232! I can only imagine how it sounds!

Chris,

No need to imagine. If you're on Chicago's north side you're within walking distance of one. Dust off your playing before you go, though, because they have it up on a stage so you may get an audience.

Thanks for the good wishes, and hang on to that digital. You'll want it for late-night practicing or when everybody else in the house is watching the Super Bowl.

Larry.

I looked around, and you're right, Skokie is darn close. I'll def. head up there just to have a listen, I just can't help myself. Thanks for the info!

Good idea on keeping the 105, it would be great to use at night so I wouldn't wake up the family wink

Please post a pic when you get the piano?

Chris

#2223679 - 01/31/14 02:21 PM Re: Searching for a 7'-9' "piano to die for" in Chicago [Re: iLaw]
ClsscLib Offline

Platinum Supporter until Jan 02 2013

Loc: Northern VA, U.S.
Originally Posted By: LJC

I was told here in Chicago that the Milwaukee M&H dealer had a BB as well, but the only Milwaukee dealer I can find on the internet appears to be Hartland, which does not list a BB in stock on its web page.

Which reminds me, dealers. I'm occasionally encountering some fairly 20th Century web presence out there!

Larry.

It varies, but the website inventory lists for some dealers bear at most a fleeting resemblance to their actual stock.

Calling them is the best approach.

Edited by ClsscLib (01/31/14 02:25 PM)

"People may say I can't sing, but no one can ever say I didn't sing."

-- Florence Foster Jenkins

#2223680 - 01/31/14 02:23 PM Re: Searching for a 7'-9' "piano to die for" in Chicago [Re: Minnesota Marty]
beethoven986 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Minnesota Marty
Hi Larry,

http://www.americanmusicworld.com/product/Mason%20and%20Hamlin%207%20Ebony%20Satin

IMO,the best places in Chicago to buy a high-end piano are (in no particular order): Steinway Gallery, PianoForte, and Grand Piano Haus. I'll just leave it at that....
Certified Dampp-Chaser installer

#2223687 - 01/31/14 02:41 PM Re: Searching for a 7'-9' "piano to die for" in Chicago [Re: ClsscLib]
Keith D Kerman Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Gaithersburg, MD (Washington D...
Originally Posted By: ClsscLib

It varies, but the website inventory lists for some dealers bear at most a fleeting resemblance to their actual stock.

Calling them is the best approach.

I resemble that remark. Gotta update the inventory.........gotta update the inventory............
New Steingraeber, Estonia, Charles R. Walter, Brodmann, Feurich
www.pianocraft.net
http://www.youtube.com/user/pianocraftchannel/videos

keith@pianocraft.net 888-840-5460

#2223706 - 01/31/14 03:29 PM Re: Searching for a 7'-9' "piano to die for" in Chicago [Re: iLaw]
Davepost Offline

Loc: Hudsonville, Western Michigan,...
Check Reeder Pianos in Lansing, MI. There was a rebuilt 9 ft Chickering there a couple months ago. It had the longest sustaining fundamental I have ever heard. A piano for melody.

#2223707 - 01/31/14 03:29 PM Re: Searching for a 7'-9' "piano to die for" in Chicago [Re: ClsscLib]
iLaw Offline

Originally Posted By: ClsscLib

True. Where inventory lists exist at all (and many do not), my experience has run from up-to-the-day accuracy to months-out-of-date inaccuracy.

One of my favorite internet search experiences so far has been a dealer that not only has its piano inventory on its website, but apparently allows me, with a mouse click, to put the piano of my choice into the on-line shopping cart so that presumably I can pay for it with a credit card and have UPS deliver it next week! Amazon convenience brought to world-class pianos.

Larry.

#2223713 - 01/31/14 03:43 PM Re: Searching for a 7'-9' "piano to die for" in Chicago [Re: Davepost]
iLaw Offline

Originally Posted By: Davepost

Check Reeder Pianos in Lansing, MI. There was a rebuilt 9 ft Chickering there a couple months ago. It had the longest sustaining fundamental I have ever heard. A piano for melody.

Yes, you're now the third recommendation for Reeder Pianos and, earlier today, I went to their website and was very impressed. A used Blüthner 2! Haven't seen one of those in Chicago. And the Chickering you're describing sounds like the 1921 instrument they show as still available.

Four hours to Lansing. Hmmnn ......

Larry.

#2223720 - 01/31/14 04:04 PM Re: Searching for a 7'-9' "piano to die for" in Chicago [Re: iLaw]
Davepost Offline

Loc: Hudsonville, Western Michigan,...
After Jim gets done prepping his Bluthners or the rebuilds, they play themselves. I am going to have my 9 ft 4 Conover rebuilt by Reeder. They are closed Saturdays but open Sundays. Call ahead.
This Conover was at the CSO long ago, now in my home.

#2223729 - 01/31/14 04:24 PM Re: Searching for a 7'-9' "piano to die for" in Chicago [Re: beethoven986]
Minnesota Marty Offline

Originally Posted By: beethoven986
Originally Posted By: Minnesota Marty
Hi Larry,

IMO,the best places in Chicago to buy a high-end piano are (in no particular order): Steinway Gallery, PianoForte, and Grand Piano Haus. I'll just leave it at that....

You left out Piano Renaissance. Larry mentioned "new or used."

The piano I mentioned was a used M&H-BB. It's worth checking out.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Ken Knapp, Piano World, Rickster 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
74 registered (AliAlkhiro, AZNpiano, Allard, 18 invisible), 969 Guests and 25 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75979 Members
42 Forums
157133 Topics
2307700 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
a video of Alexander Siloti's daughter playing the piano
by Michael Sayers
08/28/14 08:26 PM
Kimball spinet neoprene lifter nuts
by dschwoyer
08/28/14 08:22 PM
Looking for a re-built Steinway or Steinwas
by ColinD
08/28/14 07:29 PM
First time purchasing an acoustic piano, need some help.
by Lockon52
08/28/14 07:14 PM
Yamaha Clavinova CVP-83s Parts needed
by Jason Solis
08/28/14 06:57 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission