Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2223323 - 01/30/14 08:39 PM Adagio KDP 88
Das Offline

Hi everyone,
These days i'm looking for a Digital piano. So i found this Adagio KDP 88 digital piano, for 200 dollars, and they say it's new. But now I'm confused because it's a big DP, and the price tag are somewhat high. SO i would like to know what you all think about this LOW PRICE.
Finally please tell me the QUALITY of this DP. If any of you have try it, you may have PROS & CONS about this product. So please tell me what you think about this digital piano...
Thanks for sharing your ideas with me...

(ads) Sweetwater / Roland
Yamaha Keyboards for Performance and Composition

Click Here

#2223334 - 01/30/14 08:59 PM Re: Adagio KDP 88 [Re: Das]
Charles Cohen Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Richmond, BC, Canada
You might want to read Tim Praskins' review here:

http://azpianonews.blogspot.ca/2011/11/review-adagio-kdp8826-kdp88-digital.html

He may be biased -- I don't know the Adagio pianos personally.

. Charles

#2223335 - 01/30/14 09:00 PM Re: Adagio KDP 88 [Re: Das]
Dwscamel Offline

If it sounds too good to be true, it almost always is. I've never even heard of the brand. I would view this advertisement with a high amount of skepticism and suspicion and steer far away . . .

Have you gotten to play the instrument in question?

It could very well be a scam.

#2223338 - 01/30/14 09:07 PM Re: Adagio KDP 88 [Re: Das]
Colin Dunn Online   content

Loc: Arvada, CO
I think the Adagio DPs are either clones of Williams or Artesia DPs. Both are poorly-regarded. Someone's probably dumping theirs for cheap because it's not a good instrument.

The most troubling thing from Tim Praskins' review is: the keyboard isn't velocity-sensitive! Even most 49-key "organ touch" keyboards at least allow dynamic control based on velocity. Lacking this feature makes it utterly useless as an instrument.

Hopefully, the other DP companies will catch on to the need for good, furniture-style DPs at a reasonable price and update their offerings.

#2223425 - 01/31/14 01:11 AM Re: Adagio KDP 88 [Re: Das]
Charles Cohen Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Richmond, BC, Canada
The instrument is velocity-sensitive. But the sound generator doesn't vary its _tone_ as volume changes. To quote Tim:

Quote:
. . . Firstly, there are 2 acoustic piano sounds on this model which are called Grand piano & Bright piano. When playing on a regular piano as well as any name brand digital piano in this price range, the piano sound is supposed to change not only in volume (louder/softer) as you press the key harder or easier, but the tone itself is supposed to change in character with changes in brightness and mellowness as well as various overtones and nuances in the sound. Those are just a few details that make a piano sound good and is referred to as "dynamic range."The Adagio has just one piano sound no matter how hard or soft you press the key. It does change volume from soft to loud, but no changes in tonality or dynamic range. In other words, the piano sound (either Grand or Bright piano) is the same all the time on any style of music using any dynamics. This is not a good thing and not the way acoustic pianos behave.

The OP would be probably be better off with the (frequently recommended) Casio PX-150 or Yamaha P105, than with this piano. But they cost more $$$$ . . . .

Costco sells several of the Casio "PX-" series pianos, for competitive prices. But I haven't seen any of them for $200.

. Charles

#2223587 - 01/31/14 11:06 AM Re: Adagio KDP 88 [Re: Dwscamel]
Das Offline

Dear Dwscamel,
I just saw in the ebay, and then i began to find abut it..
that's how i get to know about that...

#2223601 - 01/31/14 11:35 AM Re: Adagio KDP 88 [Re: Das]
toddy Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Portugal
But the [Adagio's] sound generator doesn't vary its _tone_ as volume changes.

But this is also true of the lower range Yamaha's isn't it? Certainly the P95 and the CLP 220 only vary in volume (afaics), but not in the all-important timbre at different velocity levels. Neither of these is very old - the P95 is the penultimate version of this Yamaha stage piano.

(I do not know if this is also true of the newest versions of these instruments)

Edited by toddy (01/31/14 11:36 AM)

Reaper / NI Komplete 9 /Kontakt 5// EWQL Sym Choirs/ Sym Orchestra Silver/ MOR2
Mics: SP B1 & MXL V67g/ Alesis MicTube Preamp/ Xenyx302/ Yamaha HS7s .

"Only a fool is fooled" pv88, All Fools' Day 2014.

#2223613 - 01/31/14 12:11 PM Re: Adagio KDP 88 [Re: Das]
PtJaa Offline

Loc: Czech Republic
Originally Posted By: Toddy
Certainly the P95 and the CLP 220 only vary in volume (afaics), but not in the all-important timbre at different velocity levels.

Toddy, I don't have direct experience with P95/CLP220, but I doubt this is true. Both instruments have "AWM Stereo Sampling" sound technology, which AFAIK means that they have samples with only 1 dynamic level, but the samples are filtered according to key velocity, which creates rather nice variation in timbre.

In my experience, a DP that doesn't vary tone (timbre) with velocity is basically unusable.

#2223619 - 01/31/14 12:25 PM Re: Adagio KDP 88 [Re: Das]
toddy Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Yes - I was surprised too. But I tested a CLP-220 personally and can be pretty certain that the timbre did not vary, neither did the sample seem to be filtered at all. This model is getting on for 10 years old.

However, the P95 is newer, and this video , whilst not proof, seems to me to show very little if any change in tone quality.

******ps I've just listened carefully to the P95 video again - there is a slight filtering of the tone at the lowest velocity, but no apparent change between mp, f, ff......the tone of the sample is very good though.**************

Edited by toddy (01/31/14 12:41 PM)

#2223642 - 01/31/14 12:58 PM Re: Adagio KDP 88 [Re: PtJaa]
musicman100 Offline

Loc: North east .UK
Originally Posted By: PtJaa

Toddy, I don't have direct experience with P95/CLP220, but I doubt this is true. Both instruments have "AWM Stereo Sampling" sound technology, which AFAIK means that they have samples with only 1-dynamic level, but the samples are filtered according to key velocity, which creates rather nice variation in timbre.

In my experience, a DP that doesn't vary tone (timbre) with velocity is basically unusable.

Thats not true I had a cvp407 which used AWM and it had 4 dynamic levels and sounded excellent. As the Yamaha site says -

Tone Generating Technology AWM Dynamic Stereo Sampling
Number of Dynamic Levels 4
Stereo Sustain Samples Yes
Key-off Samples Yes
String Resonance Yes

#2223651 - 01/31/14 01:16 PM Re: Adagio KDP 88 [Re: Das]
PtJaa Offline

Loc: Czech Republic
Musicman100, yes, that is "AWM Dynamic Stereo Sampling", as opposed to "AWM Stereo Sampling". "Dynamic" in this case means that there is more that one dynamic layer in sample.

Toddy, if you look at the DPBSD entry of P95, I believe it shows that tone differs with velocity. I think it's the pink/red picture. I might be misunderstanding the picture though (the P95 entry actually compares P95 with P85, with the result that they are the same, so it might be worth to also look at the P85 entry).

As for CLP220, there is no DPBSD entry for that, so I take back my comment on that.

#2223657 - 01/31/14 01:23 PM Re: Adagio KDP 88 [Re: toddy]
spanishbuddha Online   content
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: UK
Originally Posted By: toddy
Yes - I was surprised too. But I tested a CLP-220 personally and can be pretty certain that the timbre did not vary, neither did the sample seem to be filtered at all. This model is getting on for 10 years old.

However, the P95 is newer, and this video , whilst not proof, seems to me to show very little if any change in tone quality.

******ps I've just listened carefully to the P95 video again - there is a slight filtering of the tone at the lowest velocity, but no apparent change between mp, f, ff......the tone of the sample is very good though.**************

According to the DPBSD there is timbre variation on the P85 and P95, even though it is a single sample.

#2223727 - 01/31/14 04:20 PM Re: Adagio KDP 88 [Re: Das]
toddy Offline
1000 Post Club Member

According to the DPBSD there is timbre variation on the P85 and P95, even though it is a single sample.

Yes - the tone is filtered very slightly - the only substantially audible filtering seems to be at the sub-MP level, judging by the youtube video I posted. However, this works quite nicely, though it lacks the timbral expressiveness of more advanced systems.

OTOH, several sample layers doesn't necessarily make a more musical effect - can be somewhat less so if the layers are not expertly blended and filtered.

#2223884 - 01/31/14 09:21 PM Re: Adagio KDP 88 [Re: Das]
Das Offline

Hi everyone..
Thank you very much for sharing your ideas with me...
Now i know what to do... Your help is so much mean to mean..
Thanks again everyone.. It's so nice to hear from you..
Thanks again...

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
has anyone tried the Focal alpha 50s or 65s for monitoring?
by dire tonic
09/30/14 11:54 AM
2015 Concerto Competition "Theodor Leschetizky" NY
by Piano World
09/30/14 11:49 AM
Valletta International Piano Competition, Velletta, Malta
by Piano World
09/30/14 11:45 AM
Cleveland International Piano Competition
by Piano World
09/30/14 11:42 AM
International Junior Piano Competition & Festival
by Piano World
09/30/14 11:35 AM
Who's Online
139 registered (36251, analarana, accordeur, ajames, 38 invisible), 1558 Guests and 18 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76376 Members
42 Forums
157889 Topics
2318806 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission