Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
72 registered (Anita Potter, Alan_Dublin, ando, Anne H, 15 invisible), 1254 Guests and 14 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#2224050 - 02/01/14 08:31 AM February Piano Bar
kenjazz Offline

Loc: Massachussetts, USA
While most of you are frantically preparing your pieces for Recital #33, I'll open the February Piano Bar.

I really needed something to shake off these Polar Vortex Blues (good name for a song BTW) in the frigid Boston area. Here is a take on Morning Dance by Spyro Gyra. Spyro Gyra was a popular jazz fusion band in the US in the mid-1970s. I don't know if they were popular outside of the US, but for those of us of a "certain age", you couldn't help but be influenced by their uplifting music.

I'll also offer this patently absurd video to go along with the song if you need more uplifting...

Morning Dance

Morning Dance Blog

Schimmel 120J

Learning To Play Jazz Piano After Age 50+

(ads P/S)

Petrof Pianos

#2224215 - 02/01/14 02:23 PM Re: February Piano Bar [Re: kenjazz]
jazzwee Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Loc: So. California
A little jam from last Thursday. Just in time for the bar.

Afro Blue
https://app.box.com/s/sbc3yyl3ssn7598j0sm1

#2224219 - 02/01/14 02:45 PM Re: February Piano Bar [Re: kenjazz]
jazzwee Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: kenjazz
While most of you are frantically preparing your pieces for Recital #33, I'll open the February Piano Bar.

I really needed something to shake off these Polar Vortex Blues (good name for a song BTW) in the frigid Boston area. Here is a take on Morning Dance by Spyro Gyra. Spyro Gyra was a popular jazz fusion band in the US in the mid-1970s. I don't know if they were popular outside of the US, but for those of us of a "certain age", you couldn't help but be influenced by their uplifting music.

I'll also offer this patently absurd video to go along with the song if you need more uplifting...

Morning Dance

Morning Dance Blog

Wow -- that's just super Ken. I think I'll have to learn this tune. Spyro Gyra is still popular and is frequently heard on Smooth Jazz radio here. Such a great recording and you're making that piano sound just heavenly.

SWEET!

#2224267 - 02/01/14 04:04 PM Part 1 Clair de Lune [Re: kenjazz]
piano_primo_1 Offline

Loc: Pittsburgh,PA
I'm dividing this piece into divisions to practice , this is the first. Any tips would help.
[video]

Claire de Lune Piano practice 1 from Pianonewbie1 on Vimeo.

[/video]
The coloring is for effect... (lol)
it's built on a chromatic scale.

#2224310 - 02/01/14 05:59 PM Re: February Piano Bar [Re: jazzwee]
kenjazz Offline

Originally Posted By: jazzwee

Afro Blue

Your solo was awesome! So much movement within that vamp. Was there a model that you guys were shooting for? This wasn't quite the Mongo Santamaria or the Coltrane version either. Is there someone else that you heard do it this way, or is this the band's innovation? Either way it sounds great.

Schimmel 120J

#2224342 - 02/01/14 07:04 PM Re: February Piano Bar [Re: kenjazz]
jazzwee Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: kenjazz

Afro Blue

Your solo was awesome! So much movement within that vamp. Was there a model that you guys were shooting for? This wasn't quite the Mongo Santamaria or the Coltrane version either. Is there someone else that you heard do it this way, or is this the band's innovation? Either way it sounds great.

Thanks Ken! We just use Afro blue is a platform for any minor vamp so yes, it is a band thing and was not intended to copy Mongo or Coltrane. Afro blue just gives a 3/4 minor vamp rhythmic platform. Really fun to do because they're so unpredictable. If the singer wasn't strumming a guitar I'd have more freedom. We'd probably play it free. But sometimes putting a limit makes one more imaginative.

BTW the singer sang it in a different key (without stating it) so there was initial panic....LOL.

#2224475 - 02/02/14 03:59 AM Re: February Piano Bar [Re: kenjazz]
FarmGirl Offline

Silver Supporter until Jan 02 2013

Loc: Scottsdale, AZ
My first take of Bach prelude f minor from Book I. I decided to record something everyday. It's good. I am finding all the kind of improvement needs. Goal is to make it better my recital on March 1st. Fugue won't be ready until ready. I have not started it yet.

The strange sound you hear is, oh, shoot, I'm counting.

Solo - Rachmaninoff Elegie Op 3 #1, Schumann Op 12 Warum and Grillen and Mozart K 475 Fantasy C minor
Collaboration - Concerto in C for Oboe and orchestra attributed to Haydn edited by Evelyn Rosewell

#2224477 - 02/02/14 04:03 AM Re: February Piano Bar [Re: kenjazz]
FarmGirl Offline

Ken - nice tune. Love it. also love your family picture. both babies, I mean.
Pianonewbie - that's a beautiful piece. It may take a long time but it's worth it. I think it's kind of the piece people come back to time and time again.
Solo - Rachmaninoff Elegie Op 3 #1, Schumann Op 12 Warum and Grillen and Mozart K 475 Fantasy C minor
Collaboration - Concerto in C for Oboe and orchestra attributed to Haydn edited by Evelyn Rosewell

#2224517 - 02/02/14 08:30 AM Re: February Piano Bar [Re: FarmGirl]
kenjazz Offline

Originally Posted By: FarmGirl
Ken - nice tune. Love it. also love your family picture. both babies, I mean.

HaHa. Thank you FarmGirl and Jazzwee for the nice comments. But those are not my kids! I just found the cutest possible kids, babies and puppies frolicking that I could find on the internet that would go along with an uplifting Morning Dance...

Schimmel 120J

#2224520 - 02/02/14 08:39 AM Re: February Piano Bar [Re: FarmGirl]
kenjazz Offline

Pianonewbie - that's a beautiful piece. It may take a long time but it's worth it. I think it's kind of the piece people come back to time and time again.

Pianonewbie - I agree with Farmgirl on this one. My Mother-in-Law plays this so beautifully. She learned it as one of her first pieces and has it locked into muscle memory. Of all the pieces that she knows, it is the one that she always returns to.

Farmgirl - That didn't sound like a first attempt to me! Very nice.

Schimmel 120J

#2224627 - 02/02/14 12:40 PM Re: Part 1 Clair de Lune [Re: piano_primo_1]
jazzwee Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: pianonewbie1
I'm dividing this piece into divisions to practice , this is the first. Any tips would help.
[video]
<iframe src="//player.vimeo.com/video/85610424"
width="500" height="375" webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen allowfullscreen></iframe><p><a href="http://vimeo.com/85610424">Claire de Lune Piano practice 1 </a> from <a href="http://vimeo.com/user23104365">Pianonewbie1</a> on <a href="https://vimeo.com">Vimeo</a>.</p>
[/video]
The coloring is for effect... (lol)
it's built on a chromatic scale.

Lovely playing Pianonewbie1! Looking forward to the rest of the piece.

#2224628 - 02/02/14 12:43 PM Re: February Piano Bar [Re: FarmGirl]
jazzwee Offline
7000 Post Club Member

My first take of Bach prelude f minor from Book I. I decided to record something everyday. It's good. I am finding all the kind of improvement needs. Goal is to make it better my recital on March 1st. Fugue won't be ready until ready. I have not started it yet.

The strange sound you hear is, oh, shoot, I'm counting.

Hey FarmGirl, that sounded great! Volume is a little low though (for next time).

#2224656 - 02/02/14 01:52 PM Re: February Piano Bar [Re: kenjazz]
Inlanding Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Colorado
Ken, it's been a long time since hearing Syro Gyra! Great smooth jazz tune you chose and your playing is ever-growing more relaxed and confident with each submission - thanks for your music, Ken - Love that compilation of dancing children, too - a fun way to start a Sunday morning, or any morning for that matter!

Jazzwee~ the interplay between you and your players is fantastic! Your bass player's got some serious chops. The accompaniment and solo you put forth sounds very second-nature to you - it's been very interesting and inspiring to me following your development over the past few years. Your musical vocabulary has grown exponentially! The folks in the club are really tuned in to your music.

pianonewbie1 - Claire de Lune is such a beautiful piece of music and it certainly is worthy of learning in parts. The fingering is tricky in a few sections and I am interested in watching how you work through those. Look forward to hearing the final version.

FarmGirl~ Your Bach is quite nice. As a first take for that Prelude, you play it very relaxed and no doubt you'll be ready to present it for your March recital.

Glen

A Bit of YouTube
PTG Associate Member

#2224688 - 02/02/14 02:58 PM Re: February Piano Bar [Re: kenjazz]
FarmGirl Offline

Guys thanks for your warm comments. Your words gave me courage. I was mulling the idea to post it in the member recording section of the pianist corner because I do need people's advise on the piece. I don't know how to take it further from trills to dynamics within a month until my recital. I probably will receive VERY direct feedback there. So coming her first and getting your warm review was very important for me. Thanks.

#2224690 - 02/02/14 03:03 PM Re: February Piano Bar [Re: FarmGirl]
peterws Online   content
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Northern England.
Blimey, this place is frenetic at the moment! Everything`s happening; Can`t keep up . . . Here`s an old `un . . .Poor old Roberta must be turning in her grave. If she`s dead that is . . . .

""

#2224695 - 02/02/14 03:12 PM Re: February Piano Bar [Re: kenjazz]
peterws Online   content
3000 Post Club Member

kenjazz
Ken, that was really something! Kids tell their own story. Little black lad got me. Future boxer? With a smile on his face? That`d be a first!
Lovely slow bossa. Real easy listening jazz. Gotta give it a crack soon . . .

""

#2224699 - 02/02/14 03:23 PM Re: February Piano Bar [Re: jazzwee]
peterws Online   content
3000 Post Club Member

Afro Blue

You`re having far too much fun! Really great atmospherics there. I could smell the cigarette smoke (in my dreams) taste the beer . . . wonderful stuff. Touch of "The Doors" in your playing?

""

#2224700 - 02/02/14 03:27 PM Re: Part 1 Clair de Lune [Re: piano_primo_1]
peterws Online   content
3000 Post Club Member

pianonewbie1
You have a methodical approach here which will bear fruit. Time produces fluency and you`ll soon have more of this under your belt. Well done!

Edited by peterws (02/02/14 03:36 PM)

""

#2224702 - 02/02/14 03:33 PM Re: February Piano Bar [Re: FarmGirl]
peterws Online   content
3000 Post Club Member

FarmGirl

It`s easy to see why some folk are stuck in a genre. Some genre! Who couldn`t lose themselves in Bach? Like shopping at the supermarket. Too much choice now isn`t there? Lovely job, girl, and a clean recording (could be louder, mind). Is that one of the "48"?

""

#2224717 - 02/02/14 03:58 PM Re: February Piano Bar [Re: kenjazz]
FarmGirl Offline

Peter yes it is number 12 of the book 1. You are absolutely right for the choices. I would like to learn to play well. After I decided it I realized that I actually don't know how. Or should I say that I have realized that I don't have experience of bringing anything to performance level.

#2224721 - 02/02/14 04:08 PM Re: February Piano Bar [Re: kenjazz]
1000 Post Club Member

To add to the mix this early February, here's a short Chopin Prelude No. 6, Op. 28, b-min. A bit slower than I'd like - and like all pieces, they are subject to change the next time they are played...

https://app.box.com/shared/9k5qm0vt47

Glen

A Bit of YouTube
PTG Associate Member

#2224740 - 02/02/14 04:53 PM Re: February Piano Bar [Re: FarmGirl]
peterws Online   content
3000 Post Club Member

FarmGirl

"Or should I say that I have realized that I don't have experience of bringing anything to performance level. . ."

You could be your own worst critic here. I think the same about myself often; there are so many talented people out there. But I don`t reckon I concern myself overmuch. Mistakes are like hitting a hedge and driving through it . . .without slowing down . . .What fun!

Your work sounds lovely.

Edited by peterws (02/02/14 04:59 PM)

""

#2224744 - 02/02/14 04:58 PM Re: February Piano Bar [Re: Inlanding]
peterws Online   content
3000 Post Club Member

Inlanding

Didn`t think it was Chopin. Yes, it was a tad sad but very tuneful particularly in the bass. Seems to me you play most things and you play `em well too. Have fun!

""

#2224937 - 02/03/14 12:33 AM Re: February Piano Bar [Re: kenjazz]
Elssa Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: NY
Kenjazz; I really loved your Morning Dance rendition.. Thanks for reminding me of this great jazz tune! thumb

Here's a tune written by Hoagy Carmichael and made famous by Ray Charles:

GEORGIA ON MY MIND

Edited by Elssa (02/03/14 03:00 AM)

#2224957 - 02/03/14 01:43 AM Re: February Piano Bar [Re: Inlanding]
jazzwee Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Inlanding

Jazzwee~ the interplay between you and your players is fantastic! Your bass player's got some serious chops. The accompaniment and solo you put forth sounds very second-nature to you - it's been very interesting and inspiring to me following your development over the past few years. Your musical vocabulary has grown exponentially! The folks in the club are really tuned in to your music.

Glen

Thanks so much Glen. Someone recently made a comment that I had no vocabulary so you have no idea how your comment is appreciated smile Now if I can only have your chops I'll be in good shape.

BTW this is really a trio (vocalist's guitar is only rhythm) so I have to carry the load now.

#2224958 - 02/03/14 01:46 AM Re: February Piano Bar [Re: peterws]
jazzwee Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: peterws
Blimey, this place is frenetic at the moment! Everything`s happening; Can`t keep up . . . Here`s an old `un . . .Poor old Roberta must be turning in her grave. If she`s dead that is . . . .

What a fantastic rendition here Peter! You make it sound so easy. Nice video as well. Very ghostly smile But don't kill Roberta Flack yet. LOL. She's still around.

#2225161 - 02/03/14 11:34 AM Re: February Piano Bar [Re: kenjazz]
1000 Post Club Member

Thank you, Peterws, for your kind comment. I am with jazzwee on your Roberta Flack tune. I think it's one of your best arrangements, so very well-played. The visual effects add a nice touch to how well you play.

jazzwee~ I call 'em like I see 'em about your meteoric development as a professional player - I am a huge fan.

Elssa~ Georgia is a great tune, played by so many folks. In addition to Ray Charles being the original to bringing the tune to the top, Willie Nelson put it number one on the country music charts for a few months, too. You are in good company with your arrangement. Good work, indeed.

Glen

A Bit of YouTube
PTG Associate Member

#2225199 - 02/03/14 12:28 PM Re: February Piano Bar [Re: Inlanding]
jazzwee Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Inlanding
To add to the mix this early February, here's a short Chopin Prelude No. 6, Op. 28, b-min. A bit slower than I'd like - and like all pieces, they are subject to change the next time they are played...

https://app.box.com/shared/9k5qm0vt47

Glen

Heavenly Glen! Such a beautiful touch my friend. Lend me some of those chops on my gigs.

#2225209 - 02/03/14 12:56 PM Re: February Piano Bar [Re: Elssa]
peterws Online   content
3000 Post Club Member

Elssa
Slow Foxtrot comin` up . . Take your partners . . OFF we go! (hopefully, somebody got up to dance. . . )

Remember it only too well. Thanks for this Elssa. . . . .You should be in a Piano Bar . . .hang on, you ARE in a piano bar . . Nicely done, young lady! grin

Edited by peterws (02/03/14 01:00 PM)

""

#2225373 - 02/03/14 07:40 PM Re: February Piano Bar [Re: kenjazz]
FarmGirl Offline

Hi, this is a famous Japanese piece originally composed for Koto (Japanese harp which also takes two hands ) transcribed for piano and flute. I am planning to do this in November this year for my company's Asian fair this year or next year. It could be too demanding considering that I already committed to forum recital and have several assigned pieces. What do you think? Isn't it very different?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!

Trade Regrets:
Barry "Bear" Arnaut

(ad) Yamaha
Yamaha
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) Piano Music Sale - Dover Publications
Piano Music Sale
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Music reading apps for iPad that use mic
by Artur Gajewski
39 minutes 38 seconds ago
About Roland's PHA4 STANDARD and F-130R
by Yussnan84
Today at 12:55 AM
Call me irresponsible....
by harpon
Yesterday at 11:17 PM
Yamaha used U1/U3 or new B3?
by blackjack1777
Yesterday at 10:41 PM
Keyboard for $500 - and software to help learn?
by Freebird308
Yesterday at 09:35 PM
Forum Stats
77024 Members
42 Forums
159308 Topics
2340177 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission