Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
78 registered (AZNpiano, Anticlock, AZ_Astro, ando, 22 invisible), 1249 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#2225435 - 02/03/14 09:34 PM Re: February Piano Bar [Re: kenjazz]
jotur Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Santa Fe, NM
FarmGirl, that was great! I went to a koto concert at the Museum of International Folk Art a couple of years ago and still listen to the cds. Wonderful.

Cathy

(ads P/S)

Petrof Pianos

#2225517 - 02/04/14 12:24 AM Re: February Piano Bar [Re: peterws]
Elssa Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: NY
Originally Posted By: peterws
Elssa
Slow Foxtrot comin` up . . Take your partners . . OFF we go! (hopefully, somebody got up to dance. . . )

Remember it only too well. Thanks for this Elssa. . . . .You should be in a Piano Bar . . .hang on, you ARE in a piano bar . . Nicely done, young lady! grin

Thanks, Peter, for your kind words. smile I just noticed on Craig's List that a local place is looking for a pianist for their Happy Hour: www.VinumCafe.com They have a new baby grand, so I'd love to play there if they're interested. Right now, snowed in solid, though, so probably won't get there til spring. Your "Killing Me Softly" was just gorgeous.. You really are talented. How did you make that cool video? Do you still play out?

Edited by Elssa (02/04/14 12:31 AM)

#2225578 - 02/04/14 03:36 AM Re: February Piano Bar [Re: Elssa]
peterws Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Northern England.
Elssa I think my working days are over! Used to play in a holiday restaurant in the Lake District (Ambleside area) and fell foul of a Liverpudlian and his feral brood . . . not worth the hassle. And a sophisticated venue wouldn`t want me!

Have fun . .

""

#2226108 - 02/05/14 01:49 AM Re: February Piano Bar [Re: peterws]
Elssa Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Well, I don't know if I'm up to playing anywhere now either, but I talked to the owner/chef of this place over the river, and he said the last pianist didn't work out because he played mostly "today's music". Apparently the owner is looking for more of a mix of musical styles, which maybe I could do. I've never played in a piano bar before, though. Geez, I think if people kept throwing song requests at me I'd just panic and freeze up like a deer in the headlights. LOL! I can play pretty well by ear/lead sheets, as well as sight read anything, but don't know if I could handle all that. :p

The owner/chef of the restaurant said the baby grand he just bought is a player piano, which he runs sometimes, but he would much prefer a real pianist, so he sounds nice and like a real music lover. smile

#2226249 - 02/05/14 10:15 AM Re: February Piano Bar [Re: kenjazz]
kenjazz Offline

Loc: Massachussetts, USA
Peterws - Killing Me Softly was really well imagined! I have this song printed off and it has been on my to-do list for a long time. I could never think of an arrangement that was interesting enough to make it worthwhile. You certainly did that. I love how you changed up the rhythm on that quirky little instrumental turnaround that she has. Very special.

Inlanding - As always I'm so jealous of how you can play a Chopin prelude with sensitivity one minute and them swing out with the best the next. Wonderful sound

Elssa - All of those perfect runs at the end! The perfect fingerings... This is why I would never video myself playing - it would look like somebody chopping hamburger meat by comparison smile

Schimmel 120J

Learning To Play Jazz Piano After Age 50+

#2226322 - 02/05/14 12:55 PM Re: February Piano Bar [Re: kenjazz]
Elssa Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Thanks, Kenjazz smile I have to confess a lot of times I'm just using chord "hand-shapes", so not even really thinking about the fingering. BTW,I forgot to mention before that in addition to your music, I really enjoyed the cute video that went along with it! grin

#2226491 - 02/05/14 06:01 PM Re: February Piano Bar [Re: kenjazz]
JimF Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: south florida
Very nice playing by everyone. Boy, what a fast start for the Feb. bar. thumb

Glen - Hey, I don't think I've ever heard you submit a classical piece before...very nice!

Estonia L190 #7284

#2226741 - 02/06/14 01:33 AM Re: February Piano Bar [Re: peterws]
Elssa Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Elssa I think my working days are over! Used to play in a holiday restaurant in the Lake District (Ambleside area) and fell foul of a Liverpudlian and his feral brood . . . not worth the hassle. And a sophisticated venue wouldn`t want me!

Have fun . .

Peter, just wondering, when you played at your restaurant, did people request you to play songs? You sound like you could play anything on the fly in a wonderful professional way. smile

#2227695 - 02/07/14 10:22 PM February Piano Bar 3 videos [Re: kenjazz]
piano_primo_1 Offline

Loc: Pittsburgh,PA
I am going to "redo" some videos I posted earlier but deleted. Poor video quality .

Edited by pianonewbie1 (02/08/14 12:21 AM)
Edit Reason: repost later

#2227779 - 02/08/14 03:37 AM Re: February Piano Bar [Re: Elssa]
peterws Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Elssa

Have fun . .

Peter, just wondering, when you played at your restaurant, did people request you to play songs? You sound like you could play anything on the fly in a wonderful professional way. smile

Not many requested songs thank goodness. Tbh, I don`t have the demeaner that gravitates people in my direction! So that helped, too . . now and again, someone would want to turn the evening into a karaoke session. Not a chance! And mothers would request you let their little daughters play . . .

It was all background stuff, a variety of genres and time scales. I`d play around the tune, and forget not only what I was playing, but the key I was in, too. So I had a list of ready back up songs to get me out of my self dug hole . . . nobody noticed to my knowledge.

It was fun.

""

#2227791 - 02/08/14 06:04 AM Re: February Piano Bar [Re: kenjazz]
Tubbie0075 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Here's a very simple piece from the soundtrack of Legend 1900, called 'the Crisis'.

#2227808 - 02/08/14 07:35 AM Re: February Piano Bar [Re: peterws]
evamar Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Spanish living in UK
Simply gorgeous, peterws! One of my favourite songs, love your arrangement.

Now you have just put me to shame, as I was learning this one for easy piano... sounds terrible in comparison! cry

I'll continue with it, of course, I just wish I had started learning piano some 20 years ago or maybe 40... grin

Edited by evamar (02/08/14 07:45 AM)

Time you enjoy wasting was not wasted

#2227851 - 02/08/14 10:21 AM Re: February Piano Bar [Re: evamar]
peterws Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: evamar

Now you have just put me to shame, as I was learning this one for easy piano... sounds terrible in comparison! cry

I'll continue with it, of course, I just wish I had started learning piano some 20 years ago or maybe 40... grin

Thanks, lass. The problem is, there are some of us on this site who can`t be considered beginners either in the normal sense, or even re-beginners sense; the passage of time or even the amount of learning absorbed precludes it. Doesn`t seem either fair or encouraging to others who are. So I can only encourage. indeed, ask you to set aside your hesitation. Maybe something needs addressing; there seems to be a lack of "beginners" willing to participate these days. And might this be an indication as to why?

Have fun!

""

#2227887 - 02/08/14 12:31 PM Re: February Piano Bar [Re: peterws]
evamar Offline
500 Post Club Member

Thanks, lass. The problem is, there are some of us on this site who can`t be considered beginners either in the normal sense, or even re-beginners sense; the passage of time or even the amount of learning absorbed precludes it. Doesn`t seem either fair or encouraging to others who are. So I can only encourage. indeed, ask you to set aside your hesitation. Maybe something needs addressing; there seems to be a lack of "beginners" willing to participate these days. And might this be an indication as to why?

Have fun!

It's fine, anybody playing like that is obviously not a beginner, so I'm not really comparing. I can only learn from your playing, just as I learn from any player at a level more advanced than mine.

The real difference between people here is how much time and effort they have put into learning to play piano. We haven't started all at the same time, and I think it's actually good to see different levels.

I don't mean in any way to reduce the number of contributions from more advanced players, they are useful in their own way and it's nice to see where we can get one day. But yes, I agree that it would be nice to see some more real beginners' acts here.

I'll be posting my easy version when I'm confident enough with it, it's still recognisable! cool

... I have just got a Creedence Clearwater Revival book, which of course is still far too advanced for me... but one day it won't be!

#2227997 - 02/08/14 05:38 PM Re: February Piano Bar [Re: evamar]
peterws Offline
3000 Post Club Member

You know, there are always people better than yourself, no matter how good you are . . .!

""

#2228197 - 02/09/14 12:00 AM Re: February Piano Bar [Re: peterws]
Elssa Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Elssa

Have fun . .

Not many requested songs thank goodness. Tbh, I don`t have the demeaner that gravitates people in my direction! So that helped, too . . now and again, someone would want to turn the evening into a karaoke session. Not a chance! And mothers would request you let their little daughters play . . .

It was all background stuff, a variety of genres and time scales. I`d play around the tune, and forget not only what I was playing, but the key I was in, too. So I had a list of ready back up songs to get me out of my self dug hole . . . nobody noticed to my knowledge.

It was fun.

Hi Peter; I've always been shy about performing, not helped by the fact that I can't sing well at all (cat usually runs under the bed - don't blame her). lol But I think playing "background music" would be good and fun to do in most places. smile

Still snowed in here, more this weekend. Just watching the Olympics. Here's a song apropos..

Polovetsian Dances - Borodin (aka Stranger in Paradise)

Edited by Elssa (02/09/14 12:04 AM)

#2228214 - 02/09/14 12:47 AM February Piano Bar 2 vids ...redone [Re: kenjazz]
piano_primo_1 Offline

Loc: Pittsburgh,PA
A "redo" of the videos posted yesterday , .... the first time (posted yesterday) sorta looked to me in "bad form and too casual ", I usually practice in the morning , so...
the look of the video was unintentional .

I am still practicing Clair de Lune , which is the most challenging. The whole probably will not be done for months .

You can see, I am dabbling with the effects in movie maker
Tubbie00750

Great start , are you beginning this piece? I thought it sounded good but has pauses, maybe they are in the score. I do that a lot in pieces I am practicing- for example, below .

Kennjazz - the jazz groups brings back memories , Spyrogyra.........the 70's and disco .. I wanna relive those years .
Well, not really, but that is cool playing/song . I liked the "Yellowjackets" - "Claire's Song" was a favorite.
I think either Syrogyra or the Yellowjackets also did the soundtrack for "Mutiny on the Bounty " with Mel Gibson . The song was was "The Angelus" and it was a moving piece. ( famous painting too, BTW )
blush ( well, got that one wrong i did, it was Vangelus eek
who did the sound track ... (well it sounded alike).
Anyway, nice playing , and that dog in the video is Amazing . ( caring with a child)

Peteersw ,- "Killing me softly" is quite impressive. Is that played in blues style with riffs? I don't know " piano blues" well enough to identify the playing, if it is ,,, I want to certainly learn the blues style .
Nevertheless impressive .

Nevertheless impressive .

[video]
"Medlody" Handel

Handel "Melody" from Pianonewbie1 on Vimeo.

/[video]

[video]
"Clair de Lune" Division 2

Clair de Lune Division 2 (Pianonewwbie1) . from Pianonewbie1 on Vimeo.

[/video]

I am planning to watch "Georgia" -- .

#2228227 - 02/09/14 02:36 AM Re: February Piano Bar 2 vids ...redone [Re: piano_primo_1]
Tubbie0075 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: pianonewbie1

Tubbie00750

Great start , are you beginning this piece? I thought it sounded good but has pauses, maybe they are in the score. I do that a lot in pieces I am practicing- for example, below .

That's as good as I could get for a quick-learn-and-record piece. I don't intend to play this piece again.

There was no pause. Those were longer notes and were meant to be played that way. If anything, I didn't take my time enough to slow the piece down and vary the tempo more. When my teacher said I needed to be more free with the tempo, I didn't think it was that much of a problem. But every time I record and hear myself play, it is evident that he was right.

Here's the original soundtrack. The tempo is much more 'elastic' and it brings out the emotion a lot more (of course, the strings helped).

#2228230 - 02/09/14 03:10 AM Re: February Piano Bar [Re: peterws]
evamar Offline
500 Post Club Member

You know, there are always people better than yourself, no matter how good you are . . .!

And so many things about myself can improve, piano is only one of them! laugh

But no, I see what better players (really almost anybody at my level) can do and it only helps me see that the time and effort one puts into the piano simply pays back... quite late, but it does. So I don't think that better players demoralise beginners, they just help them see where they might get if they persevere.

So come on, real beginners, let's start sending our poor attempts at making music, even the better players started like us many years ago. Let's not be this shy and scared of some publicity and criticism, our noise is normal! wink

#2228251 - 02/09/14 05:42 AM Re: February Piano Bar [Re: Tubbie0075]
peterws Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Tubbie0075

Played well, man. Loved the piano sound (could hear all those gorgeous resonances, just like on my software Steinway) and, was that rain falling? It gives a certain atmosphere which is wholly appropriate. Excellent work!

""

#2228252 - 02/09/14 05:47 AM Re: February Piano Bar [Re: Elssa]
peterws Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Elssa
An old Square Tango we used to do. . . .It looked good watching the dancing from the stage. Bet you`ve played this many many times . . .

""

#2228254 - 02/09/14 05:56 AM Re: February Piano Bar 2 vids ...redone [Re: piano_primo_1]
peterws Offline
3000 Post Club Member

pianonewbie1
Your Handel piece was really nice, the piano sounded soft and sympathetic to the genre; the strings added as well. Handel is the basis for most of our hymns, and the springboard for later composers such as Mendelssohn, Schumann, Beethoven etc etc. And so much music today. Pop ballads based on classical stuff like this will always tweak the heart strings of the young and foolish, not to mention some of us old cynics who should know better! . . .Well done.

""

#2228256 - 02/09/14 06:02 AM Re: February Piano Bar 2 vids ...redone [Re: piano_primo_1]
peterws Offline
3000 Post Club Member

pianonewbie1
Loved the impending disaster on your music stand. WHO forgot to close the window/doors then? You`re determined to do Clare de Lune. And you will. Time brings its own rewards and will not be rushed! (Try telling that to your boss when he`s leaning over your shoulder . .)

""

#2228272 - 02/09/14 07:27 AM Re: February Piano Bar 2 vids ...redone [Re: piano_primo_1]
evamar Offline
500 Post Club Member

Thanks to all for sharing.

Pianonewbie1, extra points for keeping concentrated even with the flying music sheets!

#2228283 - 02/09/14 08:24 AM Re: February Piano Bar [Re: kenjazz]
Ragdoll Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Illinois
Well I surely can't muck up the recital with this and I can't seem to get a decent recording. I'll post my effort of Feb 1 to the Feb piano bar. Couple of ugly clunkers and you gotta love that pressing of the practice pedal on the arpp at the end; I know I loved it! mad

Never get directions from someone who hasn't been there.

#2228383 - 02/09/14 11:53 AM Re: February Piano Bar [Re: kenjazz]
jazztpt Offline

Some great music so far in February - Great start with Ken's Morning Dance. I'll come back to comment a little later. In the meantime I'd like to share something I started to play around with a couple of days a go and which has come together super fast (for me anyway).
I might add some string pads if I can be bothered to battle with the technology.

Oh and Peter your comment "I don`t have the demeaner that gravitates people in my direction" ,
you're killing me :-)

So anyway , this is Sad Song , which is a tempory title , not sure it's too sad and its in a major Key anyway !

https://app.box.com/s/h7nhgg9auorlbukmvpwy

Piano Recordings

#2228412 - 02/09/14 12:35 PM Re: February Piano Bar [Re: peterws]
Tubbie0075 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Tubbie0075

Played well, man. Loved the piano sound (could hear all those gorgeous resonances, just like on my software Steinway) and, was that rain falling? It gives a certain atmosphere which is wholly appropriate. Excellent work!

Thanks Peterws. The rain falling effect was added using Final Cut Pro.

I enjoyed your playing too. It's felt free and flowing. Wished you had a better camcorder/webcam though.

#2228438 - 02/09/14 01:10 PM Re: February Piano Bar [Re: Ragdoll]
peterws Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Ragdoll

I`m sure you know there`s no need to worry about these things here. Mistakes are there to work through, or crash through . . . .and it takes more time to work through them. A month or two makes such a difference! It`s comin` along fine and your piano sounds great!

""

#2228535 - 02/09/14 04:03 PM Re: February Piano Bar [Re: evamar]
rnaple Offline

Silver Supporter until April 24 2014

Loc: Rocky Mountains
As usual. The Piano Bar seems to be the most interesting place to listen. Enjoying them all.

Originally Posted By: Tubbie0075

That's as good as I could get for a quick-learn-and-record piece. I don't intend to play this piece again.

That's a shame. An absolutely beautiful piece of music. Something to enjoy.
I listened very critically to you. You got it all. You did really good. Great for a quick learn and record piece.
I must ask...
The sheet music didn't have a big crescendo all the way to the 1:55 point, where the strings drop off? Kinda hard to pick it out in the original with the strings over the top of everything.
I won't bore you with my thoughts. This is something I could obsess over.

So come on, real beginners, let's start sending our poor attempts at making music,...

Gee... I can't let go of anything until it's musical.

#2228578 - 02/09/14 05:19 PM Re: February Piano Bar [Re: rnaple]
Tubbie0075 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Tubbie0075

I must ask...
The sheet music didn't have a big crescendo all the way to the 1:55 point, where the strings drop off? Kinda hard to pick it out in the original with the strings over the top of everything.
I won't bore you with my thoughts. This is something I could obsess over.

The sheet music has no dynamic markings at all. I do admit there needed to have more dynamic contrasts to elevate the middle section and I didn't do much of it. I could have also used the soft pedal for the beginning and ending sections. The other problem was that my mic was not far enough (or maybe too far) from the piano. So the recorded volume would have been more or less within a very small range. Perhaps I could experiment more with mic placements.

Edited by Tubbie0075 (02/09/14 05:20 PM)

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
Christmas Header
- > Gift Ideas for Music Lovers < -
From PianoSupplies.com a division of Piano World.
-------------------
The December Free Piano Newsletter
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) Piano Music Sale - Dover Publications
Piano Music Sale
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Freaked out by how roughly movers handled piano, need advice
by kaustin
12/19/14 01:30 AM
is it possible for me to learn piano?
by Ekik
12/19/14 12:38 AM
The New custom-modded VPC1 by RavenworksDesign!
by PianoManChuck
12/18/14 11:40 PM
Korg LP380 or Casio PX150 for beginner?
by SKding
12/18/14 11:10 PM
Creating schedule of lessons for next term
by Arghhh
12/18/14 10:48 PM
Forum Stats
77349 Members
42 Forums
159969 Topics
2349252 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission