Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#2228778 - 02/10/14 12:54 AM Re: February Piano Bar [Re: rnaple]
evamar Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Spanish living in UK
Originally Posted By: rnaple

Originally Posted By: evamar

So come on, real beginners, let's start sending our poor attempts at making music,...

Gee... I can't let go of anything until it's musical.

I can, wait to listen to my recital contribution! grin

No, I mean simple basic easy pieces and songs... if we wait to be able to play the complicated stuff we'll never have real beginners sharing their playing.

Time you enjoy wasting was not wasted

(ads P/S)
Sauter Pianos

piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#2229055 - 02/10/14 03:13 PM Re: February Piano Bar [Re: kenjazz]
jazztpt Offline

Kenjazz - I remember Syro Gyra and Morning Dance , great stuff Ken , I think this is your best yet and a smile inducing vid to go with it.

Jazzwee - Authentic jazz played live , the piano is a lot clearer than in your previous recordings and I can really hear your lines , are you using a different recording method ?
All round great playing from everyone , everything about this is excellent.

pianonewbie1 - a difficult piece I have always wanted to play , you have a good start, I am not qualified to offer any tips but well done.

Farmgirl - recording everyday sounds like a good idea, counting is good :-)again I not qualified to comnment on Bach but well done and good luck with the recital.

I really enjoyed the piano/flute piece, a perfect combination and excellent playing from both of you.

Peterws - great arrangment, playing and video. Recorded direct to Piano ? What patch is it, pefect for the song and just the right amount of reverb.

Glen - I always enjoy your playing whatever the style , great touch and expression on this piece , I am guesing you know it well, beautiful playing.

Elssa - Georgia , perfect in another fine "bar" style arrangment, love the switch to organ in the middle.

Tubbie0075 - I have recently seen the Legend of 1900 , great film with some great music.Very nicely played, thanks for sharing.

Ragdoll - you have a nice feeling going there , the odd hesitation but time will cure that, well done.

Piano Recordings

#2229193 - 02/10/14 07:59 PM Re: February Piano Bar [Re: kenjazz]
Ragdoll Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Illinois
jazzpt and peterws

Thanks to both of you for the kind words. Encouragement is always helpful to me. All my family live far away so it's nice to hear honest feedback. I can play this much better but just can't seem to get it right when I try to record. frown Not ever the same mistakes either just random clunkers due to nerves I guess grin

Never get directions from someone who hasn't been there.

#2229385 - 02/11/14 04:00 AM Re: February Piano Bar [Re: Ragdoll]
peterws Online   content
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Northern England.
Why not try recording all your practice? Then, when things go right, you`ll have it! (I`m one to talk. You have to switch these things on first. . . who can be bothered?)

""

#2229423 - 02/11/14 07:41 AM Re: February Piano Bar [Re: peterws]
Ragdoll Offline
500 Post Club Member

But I do that now peter, in so far as my card has capacity. For example this clip was pulled from a 18 minute session Saturday, and the only one not full of cursing and frustration. However, you can see it's still pretty crappy. As you said though time will heal. Seems like it's been forever. Please don't share this as it's unlisted. smile

http://youtu.be/sFVmKCMjtV4

13%

#2229426 - 02/11/14 07:55 AM Re: February Piano Bar [Re: Ragdoll]
peterws Online   content
3000 Post Club Member

You`re playing what`s on the music; that is challenging. It`s either right, or wrong. This is the "precise" way of doing it. I f I was playing your piece, I`d miss out some of the awkward notes in the right hand harmony just for the flow of things. My teacher, if I had one, would not be happy . . . Don`t tell Morodien . . .

""

#2229704 - 02/11/14 03:20 PM Re: February Piano Bar [Re: kenjazz]
jazzwee Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: So. California
Jazztpt, thank you for your kind words (also on the other thread!). Coming from someone with your advanced skills, it is highly appreciated.

#2229854 - 02/11/14 06:32 PM Re: February Piano Bar [Re: kenjazz]
Inlanding Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Colorado
Ragdoll - Come back to Sorrento is a very pretty melody, played very sweetly. It’ll be great to hear it again after you’ve got it well under your fingers. Great to see your hands at work.

Tubbie0075 thanks for sharing your arrangement of “the Crisis”. Look forward to seeing/hearing more of your playing - thanks for sharing.

Elssa~ I love your take on the Polovetsian Dances. Fits your style perfectly. Great work.

Pianonewbie1~ Handel’s Melody is a beautiful piece of music and you played it very well. Your Claire de Lune is coming along quite nicely. Stay with this one, it’s a keeper.

Russ~ Your tune, Sad Song, is fantastic! I am always amazed by your compositions, so sensitive and expressive. It evokes emotion, for sure. As for the name…that’s a tough one. Look forward to what name you finally choose for it.

JimF, jazzpt, Russ, Kenjazz, peterws, jazzwee, - Thanks for your encouraging words on the Chopin Prelude. When I was a child, my Dad played it several times a week for as long as I can remember - it was one of his many go-to warm up pieces.

Glen

March piano audio
https://app.box.com/s/evl3yyp1kj52ve8l069u

A Bit of YouTube

PTG Associate Member

#2230188 - 02/12/14 07:09 AM Re: February Piano Bar [Re: Tubbie0075]
rnaple Offline

Silver Supporter until April 24 2014

Loc: Rocky Mountains
Originally Posted By: Tubbie0075
The sheet music has no dynamic markings at all. I do admit there needed to have more dynamic ...

Yes....John Williams does that too. One piece, he has; "Use Pedal" and that's all on the pedal. I just think: Okie Dokie!?

I still think you did a great job of a quick take on it.
I don't want to muck up the thread with my obsessiveness. I'd like to thank you for bringing this piece up. It motivated me to see the movie. With your permission. I'd like to obsess over this and see what I can do with it. I'd also have to get the ok from my teacher. My teacher has me very busy obtaining technical ability. So might not be able to.

#2230280 - 02/12/14 11:15 AM Re: February Piano Bar [Re: peterws]
Ragdoll Offline
500 Post Club Member

Quote:
My teacher, if I had one, would not be happy . .

peterws
Yah, me too. I respect your position but I want to learn to play the score first and then maybe improvise although it is a nice arrangement as is. My studies of reading and technique depend on playing the score first, being teacherless at this time.

I don't just want to make it sound ok I want to be able to play it as written with all it's nuance and feeling. This is certainly not to say you're wrong about this, it's just I'm still learning to play piano with all it's nuance and frustration plus switching to an acoustic. A steep curve, for me at least... sorta like a bell jar. grin Thanks for the support all the same.

#2230283 - 02/12/14 11:24 AM Re: February Piano Bar [Re: Inlanding]
Ragdoll Offline
500 Post Club Member

Quote:
Ragdoll - Come back to Sorrento is a very pretty melody, played very sweetly. It’ll be great to hear it again after you’ve got it well under your fingers. Great to see your hands at work.

Inlanding
Thanks Glen, coming from you that's quite a comliment. I have listened to most of your Box uploads and love them all. Very nice style, the blues and old standards always get me inspired.

#2230413 - 02/12/14 02:14 PM Re: February Piano Bar [Re: kenjazz]
jazztpt Offline

Thanks Glen - you're very kind , glad you liked it.

Piano Recordings

#2230890 - 02/13/14 10:41 AM Re: February Piano Bar [Re: kenjazz]
kenjazz Offline

Loc: Massachussetts, USA
Pianonewbie,Jazztpt,Inlanding,Peterws,Elssa - thank you so much for the encouraging comments.

Jazztpt - The composition of Sad Song was exquisite. You were able to convey a melancholy feeling even in Bb major! Starting at measure 7 when you took us on a descending bass path from G/F#/F/Eb/D/C with a ii-Vish thing down to Bb, it was like you were taking us down a spiral descent of despair. Your use of suspended and b9 chords created a mournful feeling too. I don't know how you come up with this stuff!

Tubbie0075 - Crisis was really nice, especially with the rain as backdrop. The harmonic changes are beautiful and made with such economy of change from one to the other that they sound magical. Nice job!

Ragdoll - Wow, this is really coming along! I'll bet by submission time you are going to have this flowing nicely.

Schimmel 120J

Learning To Play Jazz Piano After Age 50+

#2230994 - 02/13/14 02:06 PM Re: February Piano Bar [Re: kenjazz]
jazztpt Offline

KenJazz - I like the way you listen and analyse, you have good ears, better than me.
I very much appreciate you listening and your kind comments.
I think this is the quickest tune I have ever written, I played the first 4 notes and the rest wrote itself. Thanks again.

Piano Recordings

#2231174 - 02/13/14 08:05 PM Re: February Piano Bar [Re: kenjazz]
Ragdoll Offline
500 Post Club Member

kenjazz
Thanks for the kind words. I appreciate the encouragement, especially from someone of your caliber. smile

#2231265 - 02/14/14 01:15 AM Re: February Piano Bar [Re: jazztpt]
Elssa Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: NY
Thanks again for the kind comments. smile

Well, got another foot of snow here today, but glad in a way so that I can catch up with all the great recordings in the bar!

Jazzpt: Beautiful melancholy style of music with your new composition. Lovely. thumb

Glen: You are so versatile, jazz, classical, etc.. enjoyed your Chopin, very nice flow. smile My Dad loves classical, too, esp Russian composers.

Well, here's a small offering for Valentine's Day.. heart

Love Affair to Remember

BTW, does anyone else have a problem with YouTube videos "freezing up" or running slow? I don't know if it's my browser or something else.

Edited by Elssa (02/14/14 01:21 AM)

#2231327 - 02/14/14 05:15 AM Re: February Piano Bar [Re: kenjazz]
UKIkarus Offline

Loc: England, South East
The latest issue I keep getting with youtube (or any flash content for that matter, and using chrome) is that the content loads, I get sound and all... but the screen is black and the controls are missing. Thus I simply cannot turn off the content, that is, without closing the entire tab.

Edited by UKIkarus (02/14/14 05:16 AM)

#2231559 - 02/14/14 02:40 PM Re: February Piano Bar [Re: Elssa]
peterws Online   content
3000 Post Club Member

Elssa Very nice Elssa! Another old romantic . . .song!! (Ha ha nearly got into trouble there . . )

""

#2231826 - 02/15/14 01:07 AM Re: February Piano Bar [Re: peterws]
Elssa Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Thanks, Peter. smile Well, guess it's a little bit soppy/sentimental (corny?), but sometimes I just go for that type of song. grin I had fun with the cross-hands part..

Edited by Elssa (02/15/14 01:25 AM)

#2231922 - 02/15/14 08:03 AM Re: February Piano Bar [Re: Elssa]
peterws Online   content
3000 Post Club Member

When I wrote "old romantic" I had to think twice about what to follow it with . . . I used to call BillM that. And he`s no longer here . . . Words will always get me into trouble!

BTW, your red rose motif on Youtube perfectly matches my piano stool . . .

Edited by peterws (02/15/14 08:06 AM)

""

#2232358 - 02/16/14 12:45 AM Re: February Piano Bar [Re: peterws]
Elssa Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: peterws
When I wrote "old romantic" I had to think twice about what to follow it with . . . I used to call BillM that. And he`s no longer here . . . Words will always get me into trouble!

BTW, your red rose motif on Youtube perfectly matches my piano stool . . .

Very cool/lovely bench! thumb smile

I don't mind being called a "romantic" player. lol I think Eddy Duchin was called something like that, and he also used the cross-hands technique a lot, playing the melody in the lower octaves with chords above.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eddy_Duchin

#2232467 - 02/16/14 08:28 AM Re: February Piano Bar [Re: kenjazz]
wuxia Offline

Loc: Sofia, Bulgaria
Hello here's a crude recording of Satie's 3rd Gnossienne, I hope you like it =]

https://www.dropbox.com/s/e9gdufmbty3ezrf/Satie-gnossienne3.mp3

Edited by wuxia (02/16/14 08:29 AM)

#2232917 - 02/17/14 02:21 AM Re: February Piano Bar [Re: wuxia]
earlofmar Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Australia
Originally Posted By: wuxia

Loved it, nothing rough to my ears. Might say it again..... I loved it.

#2232950 - 02/17/14 06:17 AM Re: February Piano Bar [Re: wuxia]
peterws Online   content
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: wuxia

That makes a nice change! Usually hear the first. Same with the Gymnopedies. Always the first!

Well, I may be the first to do the second . . .(probably not ha ha)

""

#2235772 - 02/22/14 01:17 AM Re: February Piano Bar [Re: peterws]
Elssa Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I noticed it's been very quiet here in the bar lately, so just thought I'd post something to pep it up a bit. smile

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/B%C3%A9same_Mucho

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Consuelo_Vel%C3%A1zquez

BESAME MUCHO

#2235798 - 02/22/14 03:14 AM Re: February Piano Bar [Re: Elssa]
evamar Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Spanish living in UK
Originally Posted By: Elssa
I noticed it's been very quiet here in the bar lately, so just thought I'd post something to pep it up a bit. smile

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/B%C3%A9same_Mucho

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Consuelo_Vel%C3%A1zquez

BESAME MUCHO

Aaaaahhhh... one of my mum's favourites, and one I definitely want to learn! There's something with the music of the 40's... Besame, besame muuuuchooooo, como si fuera esta noche la ultimaa veeeeeez... (Kiss me, kiss me a lot, just as if tonight was the last time) Love it, thanks!!! thumb

Time you enjoy wasting was not wasted

#2235993 - 02/22/14 02:09 PM Re: February Piano Bar [Re: kenjazz]
TheodorN Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Helsingborg, Sweden
Been enjoying the contributions this month, very good. A great cover of Killing Me Softly from peterws, some standards from Elssa, with her unique voicings, high quality jazz from kenjazz, jazzwee and jazztpt, the classical pieces from Glen, Farmgirl and a few others, and movie music from Tubbie0075, very varied. Not to take anything at all from the ones I didn't mention by name, I have been enjoying all the performances, pretty sure I didn't miss any of them.

Decided to brush up on my Christian side and gave this classic hymn a try. Also wanted to try out a new stage setting a user posted on the Casio forums, which is an emulation of a church organ. Hope you like it, in spite of a few timing errors!

Edited by TheodorN (02/22/14 02:12 PM)

http://www.youtube.com/user/thenorbass1

#2235994 - 02/22/14 02:15 PM Re: February Piano Bar [Re: kenjazz]
jotur Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Santa Fe, NM
TheodorN - thanks for that hymn! I have a recording of an old-time fiddler doing it, too, that I love. We sang this all the time in my youth. I'm thinking of getting some stuff together to go back to the Bluegrass/Old-Time Festival "miscellaneous instruments" contest (the first time I did that contest was a - riot laugh ) and this is on my short list. I just have to play it as the 2-step it really is in that genre laugh Nice work!

Cathy

#2235998 - 02/22/14 02:20 PM Re: February Piano Bar [Re: kenjazz]
TheodorN Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Helsingborg, Sweden
Thank you Cathy. I stumbled upon a violin version of What a Friend We Have in Jesus, when I was scanning YouTube for covers of it, and it was very moving.

http://www.youtube.com/user/thenorbass1

#2236120 - 02/22/14 07:19 PM Re: February Piano Bar [Re: Elssa]
peterws Online   content
3000 Post Club Member

Elssa
That was a favourite. Done it a few times as a Bossa/Slow Foxtrot/beguine even a tango. Glad those days are over . . . . Great job, lass. I bet you miss the organ! (There was a monster of one for sale recently in the shop; (a Technics, the side panels were about 4 inches thick) for £500; the wife tried playing it for old times sake. Did her shoulder in . . . .!

""

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
133 registered (Almaviva, 36251, anrpiano, 50 invisible), 1493 Guests and 30 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74270 Members
42 Forums
153626 Topics
2251650 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Paris Atelier
by Beemer
15 minutes 4 seconds ago
Lubricious Whippen Cushions
by Grotriman
23 minutes 32 seconds ago
Always respect your piano
by Beemer
26 minutes 43 seconds ago
Hello + buying my first piano (long post)
by Ben_NZ
41 minutes 17 seconds ago
Tunelab alternative partial settings?
by Beemer
Today at 04:52 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission