Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#2224078 - 02/01/14 09:28 AM Wish me luck...recital tomorrow
TwoSnowflakes Online   blank
1000 Post Club Member

It's not a big recital. It's just me and my piano teacher's other students, all of whom are young and not terribly advanced.

Doesn't matter. I'm still terrified.

I thought being a grownup meant I no longer had these kinds of fears.
Chopin, Mazurka Op. 67 No.4
With the pedal I love to meddle; When Paderewski comes this way... -Irving Berlin

(ad) Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#2224105 - 02/01/14 10:22 AM Re: Wish me luck...recital tomorrow [Re: TwoSnowflakes]
woodog Online   content

Loc: Bowling Green, KY
for me, it isn't the missed notes that I fear, it's the emotional exposure that has to be there in order to connect.

Recognize it, embrace it, accept it, and don't play safe.

oh... and good luck!

Forrest

--------------------
current studies:
Debussy: Suite Bergamasque
Beethoven Op. 78
Bach WTC 1, C# Major (#3)

#2224125 - 02/01/14 11:10 AM Re: Wish me luck...recital tomorrow [Re: TwoSnowflakes]
gooddog Online   content
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Seattle area, WA
Good luck TwoSnowflakes. I am sure you will play well.

I'm in a similar position. My teacher announced a recital for his adult students 2 weeks ago. It's tonight. My technique seems to have gone down the toilet and my playing has been horrid all week. I'll soldier on but ugh!

Deborah

#2224127 - 02/01/14 11:12 AM Re: Wish me luck...recital tomorrow [Re: TwoSnowflakes]
Cinnamonbear Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Rockford, IL
Good luck, T.S.!

I'm with woodog. Don't play it safe. Go for it with all of your being. The day after tomorrow is another day, and you will live to not play it safe another day, too! grin

#2224150 - 02/01/14 11:52 AM Re: Wish me luck...recital tomorrow [Re: TwoSnowflakes]
AnneJ Offline

Loc: Toronto, ON
Good luck!

Be "in the moment" with your music. Don't worry about the occasional wrong note; they are often inconsequential to the emotional message the music achieves.

I am sure you will play well at the recital.

AnneJ

#2224157 - 02/01/14 12:04 PM Re: Wish me luck...recital tomorrow [Re: TwoSnowflakes]
dynamobt Online   content
500 Post Club Member

Loc: NH
Play well!!

#2224166 - 02/01/14 12:21 PM Re: Wish me luck...recital tomorrow [Re: TwoSnowflakes]
ChopinLives81 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York City
Good luck!

You know I did take lessons with a teacher for a bit and she would set up the same thing, a concert for all her students to play. I was the most advanced of the group, but I was always nervous regardless. In the end though, I was always able to hold the performance together somehow, subconsciously. It's a strange thing that happens when we perform, so I'm sure you'll be ok.

Check my videos @:
http://www.youtube.com/user/chopinlives81

#2224172 - 02/01/14 12:31 PM Re: Wish me luck...recital tomorrow [Re: TwoSnowflakes]
Mark_C Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York

(Hey, if Radu Lupu can do it, you can do it, right?) grin

#2224180 - 02/01/14 01:09 PM Re: Wish me luck...recital tomorrow [Re: TwoSnowflakes]
malkin Online   content
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: *sigh* Salt Lake City
Originally Posted By: TwoSnowflakes
...I thought being a grownup meant I no longer had these kinds of fears.

The only reason grownups don't have these kinds of fears is because they aren't taking these kinds of risks. Go ahead and live!

#2224186 - 02/01/14 01:21 PM Re: Wish me luck...recital tomorrow [Re: TwoSnowflakes]
phantomFive Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: California
GL

#2224213 - 02/01/14 02:17 PM Re: Wish me luck...recital tomorrow [Re: TwoSnowflakes]
Damon Online   happy
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: St. Louis area
Good luck.

#2224250 - 02/01/14 03:43 PM Re: Wish me luck...recital tomorrow [Re: TwoSnowflakes]
Dwscamel Offline

If you're afraid of messing it up, you'll probably do well wink.

It's obvious from your posts that you practice and play thoughtfully. We have faith in you. Good luck!

#2224345 - 02/01/14 07:12 PM Re: Wish me luck...recital tomorrow [Re: TwoSnowflakes]
bennevis Online   content
4000 Post Club Member

"Luck favors the prepared".

As you're obviously prepared, you'll have all the luck in the world thumb .

#2224359 - 02/01/14 07:43 PM Re: Wish me luck...recital tomorrow [Re: TwoSnowflakes]
FarmGirl Offline

Silver Supporter until Jan 02 2013

Loc: Scottsdale, AZ
I pray for calm nerves and just appropriate adrenaline surge to work magics. Good luck!
Solo - Liszt Hungarian Rhapsody No. 2, Schubert Sonata D960 Andante sostenute (9/7/14), Bach f minor Fugue WTC Bk1, Rachmaninoff Elegie Op 3 #1, Chopin Trois Nouvelles Etudes #1

#2224365 - 02/01/14 08:00 PM Re: Wish me luck...recital tomorrow [Re: TwoSnowflakes]
DanS Offline
500 Post Club Member

Best of Luck!

#2224375 - 02/01/14 08:22 PM Re: Wish me luck...recital tomorrow [Re: TwoSnowflakes]
jdw Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Philadelphia, PA
Have fun!
Mozart, K 330
Brahms, Op. 118 no. 2

#2224393 - 02/01/14 09:12 PM Re: Wish me luck...recital tomorrow [Re: jdw]
Pathbreaker Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Massachusetts
Originally Posted By: jdw
Have fun!

Seems obvious but great advice. Don't forget to have fun! Just might help with the nerves but can't hurt either.

#2224397 - 02/01/14 09:18 PM Re: Wish me luck...recital tomorrow [Re: TwoSnowflakes]
zillybug Offline

Loc: USA
Good Luck Two Snowflakes,
I'm sure you will do well.I think I have one coming up in March.
They call it a gathering for the adults students but you are still playing in front of the other adult students and usually 4 other teachers.
Judy

#2224424 - 02/01/14 10:51 PM Re: Wish me luck...recital tomorrow [Re: Pathbreaker]
Mark_C Offline

Originally Posted By: Pathbreaker
Originally Posted By: jdw
Have fun!
Seems obvious but great advice. Don't forget to have fun! Just might help with the nerves but can't hurt either.

Darn right!!

For a while I used to write a note for myself the previous night -- HAVE FUN! -- so I wouldn't forget to remember. smile

#2224426 - 02/01/14 10:56 PM Re: Wish me luck...recital tomorrow [Re: TwoSnowflakes]
ChopinAddict Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Land of the never-ending music
Good luck!

Music is my best friend.

#2224537 - 02/02/14 09:31 AM Re: Wish me luck...recital tomorrow [Re: TwoSnowflakes]
1000 Post Club Member

Thanks, everybody! I hope it goes well. I really didn't feel confident doing my prelude, and I don't have the third movement of my Haydn up to performance standard, so rather than doing two out of three movements of a sonata, which seemed odd, at best, I'm doing the middle movement, a minuet and minor. I thought it actually would be sweet to do a minuet since my guess is at least half of them are probably doing some kind of little minuet. Heck, my own younger daughter is doing a little sonatina and a telemann gavotte.

I do, indeed, have to go for it. You're all correct; I really can't play it safe, and truth be told, I don't want to. But it's still scary. I'm not nearly as advanced as most of you, but at the same time, I'm still my teacher's most advanced student at the moment, and she's eager to show her younger students what lies ahead for them. The middle movement, while quite note-simple, has an enormous contrast in tone from the minuet to the minor, and she wants me to really bring that out, no holds barred. I agree it's what makes the movement interesting, but I'm feeling extremely timid at the moment. And while, like I said, the whole movement is not exactly note-complicated, it is one of those deceptively simple classical pieces that really just leaves you very exposed on all fronts and given that I'm still working on overall consistency, it's a daunting task. My trills are hit or miss and they are utterly out there here.

I'm sure the kids won't notice either way, but I want to represent my teacher well. And she knows what she's hearing. smile
With the pedal I love to meddle; When Paderewski comes this way... -Irving Berlin

#2224539 - 02/02/14 09:36 AM Re: Wish me luck...recital tomorrow [Re: gooddog]
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: gooddog
Good luck TwoSnowflakes. I am sure you will play well.

I'm in a similar position. My teacher announced a recital for his adult students 2 weeks ago. It's tonight. My technique seems to have gone down the toilet and my playing has been horrid all week. I'll soldier on but ugh!

How did it go??!?!?

#2224541 - 02/02/14 09:37 AM Re: Wish me luck...recital tomorrow [Re: Mark_C]
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Mark_C

(Hey, if Radu Lupu can do it, you can do it, right?) grin

You're my new favorite person for finding a reason to put me in the same sentence with Radu Lupu. smile

#2224577 - 02/02/14 11:00 AM Re: Wish me luck...recital tomorrow [Re: TwoSnowflakes]
griffin2417 Offline

Silver Supporter until Dec 29 2012

Loc: Minneapolis, MN

Have fun Two Snowflakes! I'm sure you'll do well. smile

#2224616 - 02/02/14 12:24 PM Re: Wish me luck...recital tomorrow [Re: TwoSnowflakes]
jazzyprof Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Ann Arbor, MI
Thanks, everybody! I hope it goes well.

Break a leg!

(Ooops...I don't know if that's a good thing to say to a ballerina. grin)

But really, just go out there and enjoy yourself! Listen to yourself play and enjoy the sound you are making. I hope they'll have a lovely, freshly-tuned grand piano for you to play.

#2224644 - 02/02/14 01:34 PM Re: Wish me luck...recital tomorrow [Re: jazzyprof]
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: jazzyprof
Thanks, everybody! I hope it goes well.

Break a leg!

(Ooops...I don't know if that's a good thing to say to a ballerina. grin)

But really, just go out there and enjoy yourself! Listen to yourself play and enjoy the sound you are making. I hope they'll have a lovely, freshly-tuned grand piano for you to play.

Well, if I do break a leg, let's make sure it's the left leg so I can still do most of my pedaling.

The piano? No great shakes. It's the piano at a local music store. I've played it before just to make sure of things before I buy some music. Not a lot. Either way, my home piano is a better piano. I had wanted to reserve the piano at our synagogue which is a big honking Steinway D that was fully restored in 2005 and was actually Samuel Barber's personal piano. But there was a conflict so I'll try again for the Spring recital. But today, the piano is not bad, but not good either. I may show up early and just play through once or twice before everybody gets there. In fact, yes, that's just what I'm going to do. I have an hour and a half until the recital.

Off I go!

#2224775 - 02/02/14 05:49 PM Re: Wish me luck...recital tomorrow [Re: TwoSnowflakes]
1000 Post Club Member

So, it went ok.

Everybody seemed to like it, and the mistakes I was making due to starting too fast were not very noticeable. But I kept thinking, "oh no, you're rushing" and then I tripped up a couple of times that WERE noticeable. Overall, though, not bad.

Hopefully this gets easier and easier!

Edited to add:

But my daughter did FANTASTIC! She was worried she wasn't ready, but then when she sat down she killed it. Expression, nice posture and hands, controlled and even. I was SO PROUD of her!

Edited by TwoSnowflakes (02/02/14 05:52 PM)

#2224788 - 02/02/14 06:15 PM Re: Wish me luck...recital tomorrow [Re: TwoSnowflakes]
ChopinLives81 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York City
So, it went ok.

Everybody seemed to like it, and the mistakes I was making due to starting too fast were not very noticeable. But I kept thinking, "oh no, you're rushing" and then I tripped up a couple of times that WERE noticeable. Overall, though, not bad.

Edited to add:

But my daughter did FANTASTIC! She was worried she wasn't ready, but then when she sat down she killed it. Expression, nice posture and hands, controlled and even. I was SO PROUD of her!

Great, you really can't ask for more. Being the performer we're never going to be happy with it, but everyone else is.

Check my videos @:
http://www.youtube.com/user/chopinlives81

#2224789 - 02/02/14 06:16 PM Re: Wish me luck...recital tomorrow [Re: TwoSnowflakes]
Mark_C Offline

thumb thumb

It does!

At least usually anyway. grin

Quote:
Edited to add:

....and you probably care more about that than about how you did!!

Off the subj, but....a few years ago, at Yankee Stadium, I was sitting next to an older guy who seemed like he might have been a ballplayer himself back in the day. So I asked him, and it turned out he was. I started asking him all these questions about his career, but he kept changing the subject to his grandson who had just been picked for the major leagues. I kept trying to ask about himself, he kept changing it back to his grandson. And so it went. ha

#2224793 - 02/02/14 06:24 PM Re: Wish me luck...recital tomorrow [Re: TwoSnowflakes]
hreichgott Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: western MA, USA
Yay TwoSnowflakes and little daughter smile smile

(And I'm sure you impressed the heck out of lots of little kids and inspired them)
Totally loving Fauré/Barcarolles and Ravel/Tombeau de Couperin
I love Mozart, Haydn, Beethoven and new music

#2224839 - 02/02/14 08:11 PM Re: Wish me luck...recital tomorrow [Re: TwoSnowflakes]
FarmGirl Offline

Silver Supporter until Jan 02 2013

Loc: Scottsdale, AZ
Congratulations for mission accomplished. What a wonderful mother you are! I think your daughter will learn a lot from you. High fives to both of you.
Solo - Liszt Hungarian Rhapsody No. 2, Schubert Sonata D960 Andante sostenute (9/7/14), Bach f minor Fugue WTC Bk1, Rachmaninoff Elegie Op 3 #1, Chopin Trois Nouvelles Etudes #1

#2224933 - 02/03/14 12:05 AM Re: Wish me luck...recital tomorrow [Re: TwoSnowflakes]
piano_deb Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Memphis, TN
Congrats to you, Two Snowflakes, and to Miss Mini Snowflakes. I know you were more thrilled with her performance than your own -- but I bet your daughter was just as proud of you as you were of her.

smile

#2225039 - 02/03/14 08:14 AM Re: Wish me luck...recital tomorrow [Re: TwoSnowflakes]
griffin2417 Offline

Silver Supporter until Dec 29 2012

Loc: Minneapolis, MN

Congratulations Two Snowflakes! It must be wonderful to have the benefit of sharing this experience with your daughter. Congratulations to both of you! smile

#2225086 - 02/03/14 09:22 AM Re: Wish me luck...recital tomorrow [Re: TwoSnowflakes]
1000 Post Club Member

It's been great sharing this with my daughter. We have, obviously, the same teacher, and while I'm certainly practicing different level repertoire, I think it's good that she sees me getting lots of corrections, too, and often the same types of corrections, even if they are expressed differently. She gets to see that learning music is an ongoing process and we get better incrementally and correction is not criticism but an essential part of the journey.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
Our latest Issue is available now...
Piano News - Interesting & Fun Piano Related Newsletter! (free)
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
169 registered (accordeur, airdis, A Guy, 50 invisible), 1865 Guests and 14 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75579 Members
42 Forums
156266 Topics
2294887 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Sheet Music Retainers
by MargaretUK
07/29/14 05:20 PM
piano contest
by wkurashima
07/29/14 04:47 PM
piano contest Clavinova
by wkurashima
07/29/14 04:39 PM
Proper chunking method
by Edtek
07/29/14 03:10 PM
Lamp for Piano
by DancerJ
07/29/14 03:08 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission