2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
60 members (36251, 20/20 Vision, anotherscott, bcalvanese, 1957, beeboss, 7sheji, Aylin, Barly, 10 invisible), 1,448 guests, and 301 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#2224058 02/01/14 10:02 AM
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
I guess here's one reason why you might be grateful you play the piano.

They're a lot harder to steal. Which means you're less likely to get stun gunned for it:

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/01/31/u...es.html?partner=rss&emc=rss&_r=0

Though if anybody has seen the movie All Is Bright, you'll know that pianos are not immune to theft. Really a terrific denoement as well as a how-to handbook for getting a Steinway B out of an apartment window undetected using only some rope, a socket wrench, and a bunch of books. I warned my friend with his new Steinway B not to be surprised one day if his piano was gone. Paul Giamatti taught me how.

All kidding aside, stories like this make me really sad. I hope Mr. Almond is ok both physically and emotionally from such a wrenching loss.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by TwoSnowflakes
....how-to handbook for getting a Steinway B out of an apartment window undetected using only some rope, a socket wrench, and a bunch of books....

Are the books for reference or a pulley counterweight? grin

But seriously folks....it's terrible about the violin. I lived there for a while (Milwaukee), heard the orchestra many times, so it hits home more than it might. I see that most stolen Strads never get recovered?? What could possibly happen to them? You'd figure that the reason people want them is to play them, or to sell them -- and either way, I would have thought it's hard for them to remain secret for very long.

Here's hoping he gets it back.

Unobtanium Supporter until Jun 020 2020
3000 Post Club Member

Unobtanium Supporter until Jun 020 2020
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Mark_C
....how-to handbook for getting a Steinway B out of an apartment window undetected using only some rope, a socket wrench, and a bunch of books....

Are the books for reference or a pulley counterweight? grin

But seriously folks....it's terrible about the violin. I lived there for a while (Milwaukee), heard the orchestra many times, so it hits home more than it might. I see that most stolen Strads never get recovered?? What could possibly happen to them? You'd figure that the reason people want them is to play them, or to sell them -- and either way, I would have thought it's hard for them to remain secret for very long.

Here's hoping he gets it back.

Violins by Stradavari, Guarneri, de Salo, and Amati are very much sought after as collector's items by the super-rich, many of whom don't even play them. That's also true to an extent for cellos and violas by the big names -- less so, fortunately (I say as a bassist) for basses.

As a result, the prices are higher than even the most successful touring soloists can afford. Most Strads (etc.) in the hands of performers are on loan or lease (often induced by tax considerations) from wealthy collectors.

The point is, I suspect there are ethically challenged gazillionaires who just want to *have* a Strad -- not to play it or sell it. People like that may be willing to buy from thieves, or even to commission a targeted theft. They don't plan ever to put the instruments back into the market.

The same happens with paintings, some of which are stolen every year and disappear from the public eye forever (or until the crooked buyer dies, at which time the heirs are usually surprised).

[Linked Image]

"Don't let the devil fool you -
Here comes a dove;
Nothing cures like time and love."

-- Laura Nyro
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
I admit I did not expect this story to have a happy ending, given the statistics, but the good news is that the violin has been recovered, and the police officers responsible for its recovery were treated to a private Bach recital on it.

I admit I did not expect this story to have a happy ending, given the statistics, but the good news is that the violin has been recovered, and the police officers responsible for its recovery were treated to a private Bach recital on it.

thumb thumb thumb thumb

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,195
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission