Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2223830 - 01/31/14 07:38 PM Windex on high gloss poly?
piano man 3758 Offline

I hope someone can answer my question. On a web site called piano finders there is a gentleman that says the high gloss piano polish that one gets from their dealer contains silicone. He said that silicone can be harmful to the finishes of pianos. He goes on to say that many piano dealers actually use Windex sprayed on a rag and buffed to a gloss. Is this so or do you think he is misinformed. Thought I would run it by all of you to see if I can use Windex on my new Steingraeber.It sounds like a scarry thought!!

PS: The delivery of my Steingraeber was cancelled today due to rain. Hopefully it will be delivered Monday. What a disappointing day!!However,just feeling blessed to be receiving such a wonderful instrument.Can't complain when there are homeless people that don't even have a home to put a piano in or food in their bellies. Yes disappointed but I must keep things in perspective!! Please hurry Monday!!!

(ads 568) Hailun Pianos

#2223843 - 01/31/14 07:53 PM Re: Windex on high gloss poly? [Re: piano man 3758]
Ed Foote Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Tennessee
Originally Posted By: piano man 3758
On a web site called piano finders there is a gentleman that says the high gloss piano polish that one gets from their dealer contains silicone. He said that silicone can be harmful to the finishes of pianos. He goes on to say that many piano dealers actually use Windex sprayed on a rag and buffed to a gloss. Is this so or do you think he is misinformed. Thought I would run it by all of you to see if I can use Windex on my new Steingraeber.It sounds like a scarry thought!!

Greetings,
I think it would be a huge mistake to windex your piano. If there is silicone, windex isn't going to remove it. It might craze your piano finish, or you might begin to notice that there is a blue tint to it.

Don't do it. Your piano will need nothing but a clean, soft, flannel cloth to stay like new.
Regards,

#2223845 - 01/31/14 07:57 PM Re: Windex on high gloss poly? [Re: piano man 3758]
Bosendorff Offline

#2223851 - 01/31/14 08:05 PM Re: Windex on high gloss poly? [Re: Bosendorff]
Minnesota Marty Online   content

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014

Loc: Rochester MN
Originally Posted By: Bosendorff

How True!

Windex has ammonia in it and that is a big NO-NO.

Cory polish doesn't contain any silicone and safe for pianos. The dealer where you bought your piano might very well carry their products. You can also order them from PianoSupplies.com. It is a division of PW and your purchase will help fund this board.

The best bet is to get a high quality micro-fiber cloth. They can be found at good motor cycle or car detailing shops.

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.

#2223938 - 02/01/14 12:18 AM Re: Windex on high gloss poly? [Re: piano man 3758]
Voltara Online   content

My dealer suggested Windex (as needed, sprayed on the cloth and not directly on the piano) to clean the finish and keys.

Searching on google, I found that Kawai TSD also recommends Windex.

For what it's worth, I haven't yet found the need to use anything but a soft dry cloth.

#2223950 - 02/01/14 12:59 AM Re: Windex on high gloss poly? [Re: piano man 3758]
Rod Verhnjak Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Vancouver B.C. Canada
I use windex on high gloss Polyester finishes. Not sure what harm can be done by using it. confused

Exclusive Dealer For Charles R. Walter Pianos
www.pianoman.ca
Verhnjak Pianos Facebook

#2223952 - 02/01/14 01:06 AM Re: Windex on high gloss poly? [Re: piano man 3758]
terminaldegree Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: western Wisconsin
I knew a technician who cleaned high gloss polyester pianos with Windex. Having said that, I use the Cory or Meguiar's products specifically intended for this type of piano finish with a clean, soft cloth on my Bechstein and Schimmel, lightly dusting the outside of the piano beforehand.

I don't do it often, because my current piano is usually covered when not in use.
...well that, and I disklike the time it takes to thoroughly clean and dust the piano!
Casio px-200, Bechstein A190 #192939 @ home
Steinway A #585209, B #416809 @ work
Schimmel 130T #339100, on loan

#2223958 - 02/01/14 01:38 AM Re: Windex on high gloss poly? [Re: piano man 3758]
wimpiano Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: The Netherlands
Poly is pretty tough. The same stuff is used to paint boats which are cleaned using oxalic acid. (White boats tend to get yellow by calcium and grease). And that is a whole lot more aggressive then windex (believe me, it hurts). Also ammonia is used to degrease the below surface area (and the bit just above the waterline).

For a piano the above seems pretty rough though. The approach of termindaldegree sounds best.

On Windex itself. Kawai recommends it : http://www.kawaius-tsd.com/pages/pno_care.html

So if you get in trouble, sue Kawai hahahaha(JOKE!!)

Ultimately, for using Windex on piano's in high gloss polyester:

Don't worry too much.

Edited by wimpiano (02/01/14 02:54 AM)

#2223963 - 02/01/14 02:08 AM Re: Windex on high gloss poly? [Re: piano man 3758]
michaelha Online   content
500 Post Club Member

My dealer uses this 3M stuff for cars:

3M Perfect It

I use Zaino's Z-8. Also a quick detailer for cars
Zaino, Z8

#2224024 - 02/01/14 06:15 AM Re: Windex on high gloss poly? [Re: terminaldegree]
piano man 3758 Offline

[quote=terminaldegree]I knew a technician who cleaned high gloss polyester pianos with Windex. Having said that, I use the Cory or Meguiar's products specifically intended for this type of piano finish with a clean, soft cloth on my Bechstein and Schimmel, lightly dusting the outside of the piano beforehand.

Which specific Meguiar's products do you use?

Thanks to the rest of you for your comments!

#2224030 - 02/01/14 06:38 AM Re: Windex on high gloss poly? [Re: piano man 3758]
ClsscLib Offline

Platinum Supporter until Jan 02 2013

Loc: Northern VA, U.S.
Windex sells an ammonia-free version of their product:

http://www.windex.com/en-US/Products/Pages/multi-surface-vinegar.aspx

Edited by ClsscLib (02/01/14 08:22 AM)

"People may say I can't sing, but no one can ever say I didn't sing."

-- Florence Foster Jenkins

#2224036 - 02/01/14 07:45 AM Re: Windex on high gloss poly? [Re: piano man 3758]

Do we know that Steingraeber uses a poly finish? The piano has a rosewood veneer and unless we know what type of finish it is, it would be best to avoid anything with ammonia, vinegar, or silicones.

Why tempt fate?

#2224044 - 02/01/14 08:15 AM Re: Windex on high gloss poly? [Re: piano man 3758]
wimpiano Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Agree completely. Any other finish then polyester is likely to be much more vulnerable..

#2224047 - 02/01/14 08:24 AM Re: Windex on high gloss poly? [Re: piano man 3758]
wimpiano Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Just checked. Steingraeber doesn't seem to use polyester.

#2224117 - 02/01/14 10:39 AM Re: Windex on high gloss poly? [Re: wimpiano]
ClsscLib Offline

Platinum Supporter until Jan 02 2013

Loc: Northern VA, U.S.
Originally Posted By: wimpiano

I think instead they use a state-of-the-art, space-age polymer.

Edited by ClsscLib (02/01/14 10:51 AM)

"People may say I can't sing, but no one can ever say I didn't sing."

-- Florence Foster Jenkins

#2224128 - 02/01/14 11:14 AM Re: Windex on high gloss poly? [Re: piano man 3758]
Ed McMorrow, RPT Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Seattle, WA USA
The danger from any aerosolized product is it may float into and onto the strings. Ammonia on strings is very bad. That is why they tell you to spray the windex on a rag. You could just pour a little onto the rag and avoid spraying entirely.

#2224236 - 02/01/14 03:23 PM Re: Windex on high gloss poly? [Re: piano man 3758]
musicpassion Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: California, USA
When I was taking care of a high gloss piano, my technician recommended Brillianize. I used that for several years and it worked great. It seemed to help repel dust from settling on the clean surface.

#2224347 - 02/01/14 07:17 PM Re: Windex on high gloss poly? [Re: piano man 3758]
malkin Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: *sigh* Salt Lake City
I just use a microfiber cloth sprayed with a tiny bit of water, which seems to work great against fingerprints.

And as the owner of 3 cats, with relaxed housekeeping standards, I am really glad to have a cover!

#2224367 - 02/01/14 08:01 PM Re: Windex on high gloss poly? [Re: malkin]
piano man 3758 Offline

Thanks you guys!! I don't think I'll risk it. Think I'll stick to the basics and use Cory only when needed along with a flannel dust cloth!!!

#2224380 - 02/01/14 08:38 PM Re: Windex on high gloss poly? [Re: piano man 3758]
Chopinlover49 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: NY and NC
For what one pays for a fine grand in high gloss, a few dollars for Cory is money well spent.

#2224483 - 02/02/14 04:29 AM Re: Windex on high gloss poly? [Re: piano man 3758]
MacMacMac Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: North Carolina
Windex is good for just about ANYTHING.
For cleaning, for repairing, even for most medical conditions.
Just ask Gus Portokalos. smile

#2224810 - 02/02/14 06:59 PM Re: Windex on high gloss poly? [Re: piano man 3758]
master88er Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area
Originally Posted By: piano man 3758
I hope someone can answer my question. On a web site called piano finders there is a gentleman that says the high gloss piano polish that one gets from their dealer contains silicone. He said that silicone can be harmful to the finishes of pianos. He goes on to say that many piano dealers actually use Windex sprayed on a rag and buffed to a gloss. Is this so or do you think he is misinformed. Thought I would run it by all of you to see if I can use Windex on my new Steingraeber.It sounds like a scarry thought!!

PS: The delivery of my Steingraeber was cancelled today due to rain. Hopefully it will be delivered Monday. What a disappointing day!!However,just feeling blessed to be receiving such a wonderful instrument.Can't complain when there are homeless people that don't even have a home to put a piano in or food in their bellies. Yes disappointed but I must keep things in perspective!! Please hurry Monday!!!

On our Steingraeber instruments (and all other gloss finishe pianos) we use a product called Brillianize, and find it much better (and more economical) than the Cory product. We give a complimentary bottle with a special cloth to our clients, and I would be happy to send you a bottle and cloth if you will PM me your contact information. Alternately, you can purchase the product here: Brillianize

FORMER US Rep.for C.Bechstein

SF Area Dealer: Steingraeber•Grotrian•Sauter•Estonia•Kayserburg•Baldwin•Brodmann•Ritmüller
www.rkassman.com
russell@rkassman.com

#2224852 - 02/02/14 08:46 PM Re: Windex on high gloss poly? [Re: piano man 3758]
piano man 3758 Offline

Russel,I sent you a PM. Thanks so much for the offer!!

#2224858 - 02/02/14 08:52 PM Re: Windex on high gloss poly? [Re: piano man 3758]

I'm not so sure about Brillianzine. This is from the website:

"Brillianize is specially formulated to clean, preserve and protect plastic surfaces. Use on acrylic, glass, Formica®, Lexan®, Lucite®, Plexiglas®, stainless steel, chrome, bright metal and all hard shiny surfaces. Brillianize is made in the USA."

Wood finishes are not mentioned anywhere. I would rather trust a proven product, formulated for the purpose, rather than chance the use of a product formulated for a different purpose.

#2224881 - 02/02/14 09:35 PM Re: Windex on high gloss poly? [Re: piano man 3758]
KurtZ Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: The Heart of Screenland
Once the polyester is on it's not really a wood finish anymore is it? I'll give another cause for pause (Huk-Yuk!) Brillianize has small amounts of silicone. I use Brillanize and Novus #2 pretty much interchangeably. If it was lacquer, I might hesitate but Polyesthers/Polyuretanes are close to bulletproof.

#2224882 - 02/02/14 09:38 PM Re: Windex on high gloss poly? [Re: KurtZ]

Originally Posted By: KurtZ
Once the polyester is on it's not really a wood finish anymore is it? I'll give another cause for pause (Huk-Yuk!) Brillianize has small amounts of silicone. I use Brillanize and Novus #2 pretty much interchangeably. If it was lacquer, I might hesitate but Polyesthers/Polyuretanes are close to bulletproof.

Originally Posted By: wimpiano

Why chance it?

At the cost of a Steingraeber it is better to be safe than sorry.

#2224891 - 02/02/14 10:00 PM Re: Windex on high gloss poly? [Re: piano man 3758]
KurtZ Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: The Heart of Screenland
I dunno, why leave the house at all?

Cory's won't even tell you what's in it. The MSDS only says that there are no harmful chemicals that require listing but assures you it's safe for all the things that Novus and Brillianize say they're safe for. Zildjian sells a special cymbal polish for $7.00 for a little bottle. Turns out it's Dow polishing compound; the same stuff from the green and white can I buy at Pep Boys for $3.99 for 4x the amount. I suspect something similar is in play here. if Brillianize wrecked finishes, I expect Russell K. would know that by now. Use what you want and don't worry. I'll still stand you to a drink anytime we find ourselves in close enough proximity.

Kurt

Moderator:  Ken Knapp, Piano World, Rickster 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Fingering for "Wind (Naruto)" excerpt
by longyodel127
52 minutes 35 seconds ago
A tune I wrote last night
by Arizona Sage
Today at 05:20 PM
Refusing "Every Other" week lesson
by ezpiano.org
Today at 05:09 PM
Undecided in an upgrade - Kawai MP7 vs CE220
by Giancarlo Robles
Today at 04:32 PM
Kawai Console
by landorrano
Today at 03:48 PM
Who's Online
156 registered (accordeur, analarana, Al LaPorte, ajames, 88 Fingers Jeff, acortot, 40 invisible), 1353 Guests and 18 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76233 Members
42 Forums
157587 Topics
2314737 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission