Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2224809 - 02/02/14 06:59 PM These Piano Videos Make Me Furious
WurliFan Offline

Loc: Western PA
I went through the comments.
This is a 1925 Story And Clark Grand Piano being demolished.
Reason being because it was...'worn out' and 'old' and 'had a bad pin block.'
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KkROzK9yuAs

According to A Study, 'Pianos And Their Prices'; Story And Clark ranked above Wurlitzer in overall build quality.

Why would you just destroy a piece of american history? Don't want it? Can't tune it? Bad Action? If someone put 10,000 dollars into this instrument, they would have a wonderfully made american piano at half the cost of New Grands. Story And Clarks were not the best, but they were not terrible, either. Especially one from the 1920s, before the stock market crashed and piano quality declined. The Spinet wasn't even around then.

Does this video upset you? It sure does upset me. Imagine, you make a Piano, all by yourself, and you're proud of it, and then, 90 years later, someone goes and destroys it because it's 'cheap and old and a piece of junk.' Even though it CAN be repaired, Even though there is someone out there who will restore it, they do it anyways. Yadda Yadda, Yeah, I know, nobody wants it my behind...I'd take it if I had the money.
People need to be more open minded of Pianos....jeez-us! cry
Sun Records
Specialty Records
Atlantic Records
Roulette Records
Stax Records
Imperial Records
Chess Records
Still counting.....

(ads 568) Hailun Pianos

#2224814 - 02/02/14 07:03 PM Re: These Piano Videos Make Me Furious [Re: WurliFan]
anrpiano Offline

Loc: Chicago
People are no longer standing in line to spend $10,000 to have a piece of American history. Now if you wanted to pay for to store for 10 years I would do that. It is supply and demand. The supply is huge and the demand zero. When I closed my 8000 sq ft rebuilding shop last year I threw away dozens of them. It was sad, but necessary. You can buy a shiny new piece of Chinese landfill for less than what it would cost to rebuild one of these pianos.
Downers Grove, IL 60515

#2224816 - 02/02/14 07:08 PM Re: These Piano Videos Make Me Furious [Re: anrpiano]
WurliFan Offline

BUT STILL, to have it just DESTROYED like that; doesn't it hurt?
Throw away the economics. I'm talking about people who care for the Pianos themselves. Not those who view it from a money standpoint.

If someone did that to my Wurlitzer (There is actually a video of a Spinet being crushed by a Dump Truck, it was a Sohmer, Perfectly Good Condition Inside), I would slap them silly.

If someone did that to YOUR piano after you were long gone, what would YOU say? I think people don't realize that Pianos are more than Pieces of furniture....my Piano is my friend, all that I have.

Edited by WurliFan (02/02/14 07:15 PM)
Sun Records
Specialty Records
Atlantic Records
Roulette Records
Stax Records
Imperial Records
Chess Records
Still counting.....

#2224821 - 02/02/14 07:20 PM Re: These Piano Videos Make Me Furious [Re: WurliFan]
R_B Offline
500 Post Club Member

Maybe after 27 years he FINALLY gave up - on Alfred's Adult Beginners book 1.
Then vented his frustration.

Whats to be furious about ?, pianos DO get to a state of "beyond repair".
Right now there are two grands beside a dumpster outside what was until recently Boston Piano & Organ in Natick, Mass.
On their sides, no legs, right now it is raining.
I imagine there is a LOT of stuff IN that dumpster that some folk would cry about, but at some point pianos and other things DO become junk.

Why someone would want to hammer it to bits... I can only speculate.
Presumably he was done with it, couldn't get enough out of it, may even have had to pay to have it hauled away, perhaps didn't want anyone else to have it.
Anyway, his biz not mine.

Edited by R_B (02/02/14 07:36 PM)

#2224825 - 02/02/14 07:40 PM Re: These Piano Videos Make Me Furious [Re: WurliFan]
Minnesota Marty Offline

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014

Loc: Rochester MN
Yeah, I think he failed at beginning piano and decided that performance art was more his style.

Judging by his waistline, I do believe the exercise was good for him. And, his purchase of BENGAY was good for the economy.

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.

#2224827 - 02/02/14 07:49 PM Re: These Piano Videos Make Me Furious [Re: R_B]
WurliFan Offline

Perhaps only those with a true passion understand.

People spend tens of thousands on cars that, according to most, are 'beyond repair.' They bring them back to life, and they look as beautiful as ever.

Now, so many would say, 'Why not buy a new car? Why do people want to restore those pieces of junk? It doesn't work, and it's unfixable.'

Ah, but people do, people do. Why? Because they have a Passion.

People may love Piano music, but few actually love the Piano itself; If the frame of the Piano still exists, if the only problem is the tuning block, it can be repaired, and it can be restored (from american parts, of course.)

And in the end, you have a wonderful, american made piano, that not only sounds good, but has style as well. wink

But, alas; only those with the Piano Passion will Understand.

Marty, this is for you, since you have provided me with Lulz.

Coming soon to theaters.....
The Passion Of The Piano. Starring Christian Wildauer. A tale of one man......and his Mightly Wurlitzer Spinet.
Tagline?
Some say they're sheet.....he says they're special.

*Insert Dramatic Sad Music Here*

Edited by WurliFan (02/02/14 07:51 PM)
Edit Reason: TYPO, GEH.
Sun Records
Specialty Records
Atlantic Records
Roulette Records
Stax Records
Imperial Records
Chess Records
Still counting.....

#2224830 - 02/02/14 07:56 PM Re: These Piano Videos Make Me Furious [Re: WurliFan]
Minnesota Marty Offline

Wurli - I'm old. I don't know what Lulz is.

Passion I have. I'm just not so sure if I have Lulz.

And - Sometime it's better to laugh than to cry. That dude was enjoying himself, and that's worth something!

#2224831 - 02/02/14 07:57 PM Re: These Piano Videos Make Me Furious [Re: WurliFan]
bkw58 Offline

Silver Supporter until December 19, 2014

Loc: Conway, AR USA
Something is, indeed, "dead" in the video, but it isn't the piano.

#2224834 - 02/02/14 08:02 PM Re: These Piano Videos Make Me Furious [Re: Minnesota Marty]
WurliFan Offline

Lulz=Intranetz Language.
U seez u can talk liek dis sometimes if yur young and u use teh internetz.
So Lulz=Lol(s).

But Marty, would you enjoy it if someone took a sledgehammer to your Acrosonic? There are people on here who would gladly do it, even if it was In good condition. Some people on here want to throw Spinets into a lake of fire.
Sun Records
Specialty Records
Atlantic Records
Roulette Records
Stax Records
Imperial Records
Chess Records
Still counting.....

#2224835 - 02/02/14 08:02 PM Re: These Piano Videos Make Me Furious [Re: bkw58]
WurliFan Offline

That about sums it up, Bkw. frown
Sun Records
Specialty Records
Atlantic Records
Roulette Records
Stax Records
Imperial Records
Chess Records
Still counting.....

#2224836 - 02/02/14 08:03 PM Re: These Piano Videos Make Me Furious [Re: WurliFan]
pianoloverus Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York City
The only reason to restore a piano like that one is if it had sentimental value to the owner. Obviously it didn't.

It costs far more than 10K(try 20-30K) to rebuild a piano and the result would be compromised by less than excellent scale design of that piano.

#2224842 - 02/02/14 08:16 PM Re: These Piano Videos Make Me Furious [Re: WurliFan]
bkw58 Offline

Attacking a piano can be perilous. I was waiting for the hammer to recoil on him, or worse. Hunters deep in Arkansas woods happened upon an old upright in an abandoned house. One thought he'd use the instrument for target practice. There was a RIP that day, but it wasn't placed on the piano.

#2224844 - 02/02/14 08:21 PM Re: These Piano Videos Make Me Furious [Re: WurliFan]
Orz Offline

Originally Posted By: WurliFan
Perhaps only those with a true passion understand.

People spend tens of thousands on cars that, according to most, are 'beyond repair.' They bring them back to life, and they look as beautiful as ever.

Now, so many would say, 'Why not buy a new car? Why do people want to restore those pieces of junk? It doesn't work, and it's unfixable.'

Ah, but people do, people do. Why? Because they have a Passion.

People may love Piano music, but few actually love the Piano itself; If the frame of the Piano still exists, if the only problem is the tuning block, it can be repaired, and it can be restored (from american parts, of course.)

And in the end, you have a wonderful, american made piano, that not only sounds good, but has style as well. wink

But, alas; only those with the Piano Passion will Understand.

Marty, this is for you, since you have provided me with Lulz.

Coming soon to theaters.....
The Passion Of The Piano. Starring Christian Wildauer. A tale of one man......and his Mightly Wurlitzer Spinet.
Tagline?
Some say they're sheet.....he says they're special.

*Insert Dramatic Sad Music Here*

There is a huge difference between restoring a car vs restoring a piano thought. You will know exactly how the car will perform once restored. Pianos? they are unlikely to stay the same.

#2224847 - 02/02/14 08:27 PM Re: These Piano Videos Make Me Furious [Re: WurliFan]
Minnesota Marty Offline

There are people on here who would gladly do it, even if it was In good condition. Some people on here want to throw Spinets into a lake of fire.

Oh dear, I'm so old that I still thought that LOL was still in fashion - ROTFL

My former Acrosonic is now owned by my grand cousin for her children. But, it's still live and kickin'.

i gess tht il need to lern tha nu speek if im gunna camunkate gud its so cunfusin - lul

#2224856 - 02/02/14 08:50 PM Re: These Piano Videos Make Me Furious [Re: Orz]
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Oakland
Originally Posted By: Orz
There is a huge difference between restoring a car vs restoring a piano thought. You will know exactly how the car will perform once restored. Pianos? they are unlikely to stay the same.

Neither a restored car nor a restored piano will stay the same. What is the point of restoration if they are going to stay the same?

The likelihood that a restored piano will be suitable for everyday use is much higher than a restored automobile. My friend who rode around town in a 1963 Chevy would rent another car if he wanted to go on a road trip. But there are pianos that I service that were built in the 1920s and earlier that still are used for concerts.

I suspect that there are a greater number of old pianos that have been restored than old automobiles.

#2224860 - 02/02/14 08:54 PM Re: These Piano Videos Make Me Furious [Re: WurliFan]
bkw58 Offline

We should not assume that our rack-less old scratched-up piano is of no use and should be trashed.

For someone, somewhere, it could be an upgrade.

This is my cousin. (Yes, he really is.)

Last November, this piano was found on the road in the greater Atlanta area. He'd been looking and praying for a Steinway. When a friend saw the "free" sign, she called cuz and he gathered a few volunteers with a pickup, and it's now his.

His smile says it all.

The complete story is here:Free piano story.

Edited by bkw58 (02/02/14 08:58 PM)
Edit Reason: add link

#2224863 - 02/02/14 08:56 PM Re: These Piano Videos Make Me Furious [Re: WurliFan]
Minnesota Marty Offline

Does it now have a music rack?

#2224866 - 02/02/14 09:04 PM Re: These Piano Videos Make Me Furious [Re: Minnesota Marty]
bkw58 Offline

Don't know, Marty. I just heard from him a few days ago. I'll ask smile. (I have added a link to his story.)

Edited by bkw58 (02/02/14 09:05 PM)
Edit Reason: clarity

#2224868 - 02/02/14 09:07 PM Re: These Piano Videos Make Me Furious [Re: WurliFan]
michaelha Online   content
500 Post Club Member

There was a NYTimes article about this a couple years ago.

I guess it's a glass half full or half empty thing.

You can also look at that piano as something that did it's time. Maybe/hopefully it provided decades of enjoyment for its owners.

It's old, tired, can no longer maintain its form and wants to die and be returned to the earth. It's energy will help feed other life and one day be recycled into some other gadget for us to play with for a few years before we throw it away again.

#2224871 - 02/02/14 09:13 PM Re: These Piano Videos Make Me Furious [Re: WurliFan]
bkw58 Offline

Didn't mean to hijack your thread, WurliFan, but after all, it is a Wurlitzer!

#2224876 - 02/02/14 09:22 PM Re: These Piano Videos Make Me Furious [Re: bkw58]
WurliFan Offline

That is AWESOME! I'm glad he's happy with it! *Applause*

I have my own tale to tell; at the Nursing homes I volunteer at around here, there are many old Spinets and Uprights in need of repair. A Mathushek Upright I played on last had a severerly cracked soundboard, was out of tune (but still in tune enough), and had chipped Ivory keys. The hammers had little chunks missing from them. I busted out 'Great Balls of Fire,' 'Pinetop's Boogie Woogie', and, of course, 'The Entertainer.' To the older folks, it doesn't matter if the Piano is Old, a Spinet, or heck, even a WINTER......you should see their faces when they light up. They start to sing, hum along......it makes their day and then some. I once played a Steinway Upright that had serious problems. Tone was so incredibly tacky. Action needed some serious adjustment. You could most likely say it was 'an Old piece of Junk.'

Didn't matter to the older folks, though..... smile Music Music, Piano Is music, Piano is PASSION......piano is...well...piano!
And if it makes someone HAPPY......well.....it's certainly not a Piece of junk. I agree, these Pianos have a finite lifespan....but if you restore one, they'll last even longer. That's the problem, though. There are so many in need of repair that can be very pleasing pianos, and they're trashed, like the Wurlitzer Spinet BKW mentioned.

Glad someone found that and is using it!

Edited by WurliFan (02/02/14 09:25 PM)
Sun Records
Specialty Records
Atlantic Records
Roulette Records
Stax Records
Imperial Records
Chess Records
Still counting.....

#2224901 - 02/02/14 10:35 PM Re: These Piano Videos Make Me Furious [Re: WurliFan]
bkw58 Offline

Great story, WurliFan.
BTW: It's amazing what some Old English Scratch Cover (for dark wood) with a gentle 0000 steel wool hand rub with the grain can do for these old scratched-up mahogany veneers. Add a tung oil hand rub atop and you have, virtually, a "refinish" job at a bargain basement price.

#2224908 - 02/02/14 10:59 PM Re: These Piano Videos Make Me Furious [Re: WurliFan]
phantomFive Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: California
my Piano is my friend, all that I have.

THat kind of makes me feel sad, though

#2224945 - 02/03/14 12:58 AM Re: These Piano Videos Make Me Furious [Re: bkw58]
OperaTenor Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Sandy Eggo, California
Originally Posted By: bkw58
Attacking a piano can be perilous. I was waiting for the hammer to recoil on him, or worse. Hunters deep in Arkansas woods happened upon an old upright in an abandoned house. One thought he'd use the instrument for target practice. There was a RIP that day, but it wasn't placed on the piano.

In watching the video Wurlifan posted and one other like it, the evil part of me was secretly hoping one of those plates would blow while the jackasses were beating on it with sledgehammers.

I think destroying pianos outright like that is obscene.

#2225924 - 02/04/14 05:58 PM Re: These Piano Videos Make Me Furious [Re: WurliFan]
Nash. Piano Rescue Offline

Loc: East Nashville,TN Scottsville...
There are millions of them out there and not many people wanting them. It's like anything else, if it doesn't work or requires $$$ to get it working it is disposed of.

Personally with one 20 foot truck I have picked up well over 2000 pianos since 2009. I work an ever shrinking radius to try to pick up less but still get on average 150 calls a month to go somewhere and pick them up. For every 20 that come in maybe 3 go back out if you are lucky.

You need a VERY large storage building, like a blimp hanger or ex missile building plant which you do not want to rent from someone. You also need to already be a billionaire to restore them all in advance and then live forever to be able to wait for customers.

Speaking of that my customer from 1970 is late
East Nashville
Bowling Green, KY
Scottsville KY.
Chamber of Commerce
Member/Sponsor

Putting inspiration in the hands of area musicians
Through restoration/renovation

#2225963 - 02/04/14 07:07 PM Re: These Piano Videos Make Me Furious [Re: WurliFan]
Minnesota Marty Offline

However, I think that our young friend should be allowed his righteous indignation and we should applaud his passion.

It's better to think kindly of old pianos than to have a 'whatever' attitude.

Good-on-ya Wurli !!!

Moderator:  Ken Knapp, Piano World, Rickster 
What's Hot!!
8 Live Ragtime Piano Players on the Cape!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Is this a real Steinway?
by chernobieff
10/21/14 11:51 PM
DGX-650 TOPIC
by Jtreimer
10/21/14 11:24 PM
Janko keyboard video
by Michael Sayers
10/21/14 08:28 PM
RECOVERING PIANO HAMMERS
by Steinway K
10/21/14 07:31 PM
Help with forum for Musette in D Major...
by ieatglitter14
10/21/14 05:27 PM
Who's Online
115 registered (accordeur, ando, anamnesis, 36251, A Guy, 29 invisible), 1301 Guests and 18 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76610 Members
42 Forums
158405 Topics
2326233 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission