2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
56 members (accordeur, Carey, AlkansBookcase, brdwyguy, 20/20 Vision, Charles Cohen, 36251, benkeys, bcalvanese, 6 invisible), 1,897 guests, and 281 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 306 of 540 1 2 304 305 306 307 308 539 540
Originally Posted by Chrisl
Congrats Silverkeys! New home and piano...how great.

This is my first post here. I just started playing end of Dec., have taken my first 1hr lesson. I too was going to do 30 min, but after 30 min went so fast, I quickly changed my mind wink

I'm practicing a couple hrs/dy. I'm really happy with my progression, and this week in particular what with the lesson and new book. Nothing major, but I do feel like this was a productive week for me.

Chris

That's great that you are so devoted to your practicing! Let us know how things progress.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Congrats Silver Keys, that's a fine piano for sure. Are you SURE it will be your last? grin Good luck on the closing process on the new house. Lucky you! Can't wait to see pictures.

Ragdoll

At first, she only flew when she thought no one was watching.

[Linked Image]
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Wow, lots of achievements and stories. One week without reading AOTW thread and... so much has happened!
(I've been to busy to comment one by one, but I keep an eye on this thread!)

My AOTW is my submission to ABF Recital #33. It's always a great pleasure to play - and to do a record - for this event.

Have a nice week!

[Linked Image]
SoundCloud | Youtube
Self-taught since Dec2009
"Don't play what's there, play what's not there."

Gold Supporter until Sept. 05 2014
2000 Post Club Member

Gold Supporter until Sept. 05 2014
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by casinitaly

My ATOW is getting my piano tuned but the excitement was really tarnished by the girl downstairs actually BANGING ON THE WALL while I played. We live metres apart. If she is truly disturbed why can't she be a civilized person and come up and ask me to stop. This rudeness is Beyond belief and makes me sick at heart. I have cut down playing the acoustic so very much and it still isn't enough. I think the only solution would be to never play it ...but that isn't going to happen.
If you hear strange things on my recital recording...well, you'll know what it is.....:(

She must be truly disturbed... but in another meaning. What's wrong with playing the piano for an hour or two during the day? She doesn't have any right to complain. She should count herself lucky that she has you as neighbour, instead of somebody who keeps the radio or the TV on all day.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by sinophilia
She must be truly disturbed... but in another meaning. What's wrong with playing the piano for an hour or two during the day? She doesn't have any right to complain. She should count herself lucky that she has you as neighbour, instead of somebody who keeps the radio or the TV on all day.

+1 thumb

[Linked Image]
SoundCloud | Youtube
Self-taught since Dec2009
"Don't play what's there, play what's not there."
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
If she is truly disturbed why can't she be a civilized person and come up and ask me to stop.

Because she is uncivilized and expects you might be also and subsequently punch her inna neck if she confronts you in person grin A true coward to be certain. I would go and try to speak to her; if she has an ounce of civility she might listen and understand your need to practice. Else, leave the piano playing samples when you go over and when she pounds on the wall, pound on her door, she'll think you have super powers then, and you can assess how loud it really is from her place. laugh

Ragdoll

At first, she only flew when she thought no one was watching.

[Linked Image]
F

Silver Supporter until Jan 02 2013
2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
F
Originally Posted by Ragdoll
If she is truly disturbed why can't she be a civilized person and come up and ask me to stop.

Because she is uncivilized and expects you might be also and subsequently punch her inna neck if she confronts you in person grin A true coward to be certain. I would go and try to speak to her; if she has an ounce of civility she might listen and understand your need to practice. Else, leave the piano playing samples when you go over and when she pounds on the wall, pound on her door, she'll think you have super powers then, and you can assess how loud it really is from her place. laugh

thanks Ragdoll, i completely missed Cheryl's posting. it happens when I read things on the mobil not on the computer.

Cheryl, I totally feel your pain. When i was a student minoring in music, my neighbor did it all the time. He banged on the wall (his apt was just behind it) when I played. He was very kind and complimenting my music at first but after I refused to date with him, he became a monster! I know it's kind of unbelievable now but I was 30lb lighter, young and pretty then. I reported him to the landlord and that was it. He moved out ha Follow Ragdoll's advice. But don't go there alone. Go there with your hubby and / or friend in case the person is really crazy.

Last edited by FarmGirl; 02/03/14 11:01 AM.
F

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
F
My achievement - I finally practiced my Rach piece and Chopin etude that had been assigned but neglected for a while. I am getting the hang of 3 against 4 and 4 against 3 finally. It means that Chopin etude will be ready soon. I haven't worked on the Chopin as much as I wanted due to more urgent priorities but somehow, I could do 3 against 4 now. Probably I learned it through other pieces. I love weekends. I cannot get to practice very much during the week.

I recorded and posted Bach practice video in coffee lounge or could be a bar in the forum. Also in pianist's corner. I got good advice, something I can use to fix the performance. I am at the stage where I got all the notes and wondering now what. It just does not sound interesting. It sounds like students playing the notes. My teacher told me to try shaping the piece by myself from the kind of trills I use to dynamics. My teacher will help me but I don't want to hear once again "Couldn't you hear it? Look this is how you are playing (demonstration of my playing)". I have a feeling she is having great time one me. My recital is in March. all the help will be appreciated.

Chopin nocturne is really dramatic. I love to get into the music. I try not to but if you notice i am moaning like Gould and moving like Lang Lang that's why. Unfortunately the sound come out of my piano is a different matter (hahaha).

Learning how to play violin is a humbling experience. i am doing staccato and using my fourth finger now. All baby steps. it's incredible somehow I learnt to do all these stuff on the piano. You don't think about it. It's a long time ago. My heart is filled with awe to the piano teachers. How do they teach 6 years old how to play the piano.

A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A
Cheryl, I don't know how my daughter gets all the way from my house over to Italy, bangs on the ceiling and gets back to my house in time to complain about me playing but it seems she must ...

Ugh, hope you get it worked out. We need the freedom to play with, umm, freedom to develop properly!

• Debussy - Le Petit Nègre, L. 114
  • Haydn - Sonata in Gm, Hob. XVI/44

Kawai K3
[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Cheryl, I am sorry to hear of your neighbor's rude behavior. That must be terrible to live with. I am sure every time you play the acoustic you are thinking about what she might do instead of concentration on making music. That is truly terrible.

Well, I do not know if this is an achievement, but I sent in my application for the ABRSM Grade 4 exam today. The music director at the International School in Zug coordinates these in central Switzerland, and he was very encouraging and welcoming. He said they are delighted to have adults take the tests. I have been wanting to do this for some time, and I finally got the ball rolling! Because of the timing, I am scheduled to take Grade 4 in June along with Grade 5 theory. Then, assuming I pass, I will take grade 5 in November. Originally I was going to start with 5, but the easier exam seemed like a "safe" choice since I have never done these before. It is one thing to play in a recital, and a totally different (and scarier) thing to demonstrate one's skills in front of a judge. So, now I have a pretty clear roadmap for the year!

R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
Hey Cheryl, I remember dad telling us kids the best way to get rid of your enemies is to make them your friends. You might offer to give her some piano lessons. You never know, you two may be doing a duet for a recital here next year. Wouldn't that be a story to tell your grand kids. grin

Sometimes it's hard to figure people out ... could be something unrelated to a piano.

Last edited by Rerun; 02/03/14 02:00 PM.

Rerun

"Seat of the pants piano player" DMD

[Linked Image]

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

7000 Post Club Member
Thanks for the encouragement folks. She really is getting me down.
I truly believe she is somewhat mentally unbalanced. -In all seriousness. The kid has problems ... I can sympathise but I don't want her problems to become mine. It is going to take some serious work on my part to manage the situation.

[Linked Image]
18 ABF Recitals, Order of the Red Dot
European Piano Parties - Brussels, Lisbon, Lucern, Milan, Malaga, St. Goar
Themed recitals: Grieg and Great American Songbook

Gold Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
.....snip.....

My ATOW is getting my piano tuned but the excitement was really tarnished by the girl downstairs actually BANGING ON THE WALL while I played. We live metres apart. If she is truly disturbed why can't she be a civilized person and come up and ask me to stop. This rudeness is Beyond belief and makes me sick at heart. I have cut down playing the acoustic so very much and it still isn't enough. I think the only solution would be to never play it ...but that isn't going to happen.
If you hear strange things on my recital recording...well, you'll know what it is.....:(

How unfortunate. Any chance of her moving? You moving? Putting up some kind of sound barrier (quilt or something) to muffle the sound from your end? Agreeing to a set of quiet hours and not quiet hours?

As a last resort:
[Linked Image]

(Just joking.)

[Linked Image]
Yamaha C3X
In summer, the song sings itself. --William Carlos Williams

Originally Posted by FarmGirl
My achievement - I finally practiced my Rach piece and Chopin etude that had been assigned but neglected for a while. I am getting the hang of 3 against 4 and 4 against 3 finally. It means that Chopin etude will be ready soon. I haven't worked on the Chopin as much as I wanted due to more urgent priorities but somehow, I could do 3 against 4 now. Probably I learned it through other pieces. I love weekends. I cannot get to practice very much during the week.

I recorded and posted Bach practice video in coffee lounge or could be a bar in the forum. Also in pianist's corner. I got good advice, something I can use to fix the performance. I am at the stage where I got all the notes and wondering now what. It just does not sound interesting. It sounds like students playing the notes. My teacher told me to try shaping the piece by myself from the kind of trills I use to dynamics. My teacher will help me but I don't want to hear once again "Couldn't you hear it? Look this is how you are playing (demonstration of my playing)". I have a feeling she is having great time one me. My recital is in March. all the help will be appreciated.

Chopin nocturne is really dramatic. I love to get into the music. I try not to but if you notice i am moaning like Gould and moving like Lang Lang that's why. Unfortunately the sound come out of my piano is a different matter (hahaha).

Learning how to play violin is a humbling experience. i am doing staccato and using my fourth finger now. All baby steps. it's incredible somehow I learnt to do all these stuff on the piano. You don't think about it. It's a long time ago. My heart is filled with awe to the piano teachers. How do they teach 6 years old how to play the piano.

At one point I was super busy, never stopped. This year has slowed down dramatically but I'm still impressed with all that you do! Oddly, I practiced piano more when I worked full time while taking full time grad courses. And then there's my kid, the dogs, and the cat! My schedule has been decreased dramatically and I practice far less. It's totally weird...

Thanks for the encouragement folks. She really is getting me down.
I truly believe she is somewhat mentally unbalanced. -In all seriousness. The kid has problems ... I can sympathise but I don't want her problems to become mine. It is going to take some serious work on my part to manage the situation.

Do you have a digital? It might be worth the investment. Of course I prefer my acoustic but have the digital when my kid is playing or it's really late and she's sleeping. Having the option might make it easier on you.

7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Stubbie
How unfortunate. Any chance of her moving? You moving? Putting up some kind of sound barrier (quilt or something) to muffle the sound from your end? Agreeing to a set of quiet hours and not quiet hours?

She's still at university - in the second half of her 3rd year- she'll probably do at least 2 more years and even then may not move out.
I don't think a quilt would help because the sound (from what I understand) goes through the bottom/floor, not from on top or behind

we HAVE agreed to quiet hours. I was playing in "free time".
I play Mon-Friday about an hour (usually less) between 1pm and 2pm. I play Monday Thursday and Friday for about an hour somewhere between 6.30 and 7.45pm, We have no set Agreement for Saturday but I still rarely play more than 2 hours in 2 blocks. I don't play on Sunday.

Halfstep, I do have a digital option - but I have to wear headsets and I've been wearing them so much that they are starting to bother my ears. You can see from what I posted above that I really don't play the acoustic very much and it is this Young woman who is being pretty hared to get along with.

Anyway.....rant over, I've just been so fed up I really needed to talk and hear some sympathetic voices. I'm stocked up now and hope to report on a good AOTW later after my lesson.
I should be getting started on some new pieces today.

[Linked Image]

E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
I do have a digital option - but I have to wear headsets and I've been wearing them so much that they are starting to bother my ears.

I know it's not much of a solution, but if the digital can drive headphones, it can also be connected to a small pair of speakers which may be set to any level desired - perhaps that at which you would run a TV or radio.

Unfortunately, when a neighbour decides piano playing is an irritation, volume becomes irrelevant. Years ago I owned a Fender Rhodes electric piano. Hammers strike small tuning forks, which can be amplified. It's seriously quiet! A "person upstairs" claimed the key-noise prevented her from sleeping.

As I write, the kids next door are screaming. What can you do? :-)

7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Exalted Wombat
I do have a digital option - but I have to wear headsets and I've been wearing them so much that they are starting to bother my ears.

I know it's not much of a solution, but if the digital can drive headphones, it can also be connected to a small pair of speakers which may be set to any level desired - perhaps that at which you would run a TV or radio.

Unfortunately, when a neighbour decides piano playing is an irritation, volume becomes irrelevant. Years ago I owned a Fender Rhodes electric piano. Hammers strike small tuning forks, which can be amplified. It's seriously quiet! A "person upstairs" claimed the key-noise prevented her from sleeping.

As I write, the kids next door are screaming. What can you do? :-)

Yes, you're right - and I've done that - and it better than with the head phones in that it doesn't bother my ears - but it is disorienting because the sound doesn't come from the spot you'd expect (that'a a problem of wires and cord lengths). At them moment the speakers are being used on my husband's computer and I don't really feel like buying another set...and again, that doesn't solve the problem of the fact that the digital (as good as it is, being the silent system) still doesn't use the same "touch" that you need when playing in acoustic mode.

The more I think on this the more I am becoming angry instead of upset. In a way that's good because I am getting over the "oh I feel guilty I'm making noise" concept.....I'm playing so much less than I really could be playing and she is actually starting to harrass ME. There's another thread over in the piano forum. I may look at a little effort at sound Proofing but it is hard to still want to make any effort at appeasing her when she's just out and out unreasonable.

Maybe she'd realize how nice I'm being if I started playing my scales in acoustic mode.......
(no, I won't do that...but I can think about it when I feel crabby smile )

Last edited by casinitaly; 02/04/14 07:57 AM.

[Linked Image]

Piano party at your house? laugh

Yamaha MOX8 Synthesizer

[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member

we HAVE agreed to quiet hours. I was playing in "free time".
I play Mon-Friday about an hour (usually less) between 1pm and 2pm. I play Monday Thursday and Friday for about an hour somewhere between 6.30 and 7.45pm, We have no set Agreement for Saturday but I still rarely play more than 2 hours in 2 blocks. I don't play on Sunday.

I'm the first one hating noisy neighbours, particularly musicians who seem to think that they are educating and making people a favour (!!!).

But your playing times sound really reasonable to me, I wouldn't mind having you as a neighbour if you really stick to those times, and that's saying something! 2 hours a day in separate blocks at decent times is not torturing the neighbour, more might well be, all being said!

As other advised, I would try to speak again to her reminding her that you had agreed on those times and asking what can be done, but really I think that you are not a selfish annoying pianist wink

Maybe leaving the demo on as suggested would help you seeing if she's got a reason to complain, but I have to agree that it was low of her .

Serious since Dec 2013. March 2014, Kawai CA95!

Time you enjoy wasting was not wasted

[Linked Image]
Page 306 of 540 1 2 304 305 306 307 308 539 540

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,293
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission