Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#2222850 - 01/29/14 10:32 PM Re: Prelude in C-sharp minor - Post your progress! [Re: TwoSnowflakes]
phantomFive Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: California
Originally Posted By: TwoSnowflakes

If she were not otherwise so tactile, though, I would definitely find random hitting or touching to be unwelcome.

Yes, I think the fact that it was a complete, unexpected surprise (and in front of a lot of other people) was the main problem.

(ad) Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#2222852 - 01/29/14 10:39 PM Re: Prelude in C-sharp minor - Post your progress! [Re: RyanThePianist]
phantomFive Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Goals:
I want to set new goals for myself this time around.

1) Develop a more subtle interpretation. Last time my primary interpretive goal was to play as loudly as possible, and I broke a piano string. I'm a little more mature now.

2) Play it perfectly. Somehow I am very bad at perfecting pieces; it is something I would like to improve. Hopefully I will be able to achieve it with this piece.

3) Create a decent recording. All my recordings to this point have been obviously amateur and poor.

#2223293 - 01/30/14 07:18 PM Re: Prelude in C-sharp minor - Post your progress! [Re: phantomFive]
RyanThePianist Offline

Loc: United States
Originally Posted By: phantomFive
Goals:
I want to set new goals for myself this time around.

1) Develop a more subtle interpretation. Last time my primary interpretive goal was to play as loudly as possible, and I broke a piano string. I'm a little more mature now.

2) Play it perfectly. Somehow I am very bad at perfecting pieces; it is something I would like to improve. Hopefully I will be able to achieve it with this piece.

3) Create a decent recording. All my recordings to this point have been obviously amateur and poor.

Very great goals! I must say, however, that there is never "perfect" in music. wink If this perfection was possible, I probably wouldn't be playing piano today. smile Also, what is your definition of a good recording compared to a poor one? Everyone can answer this differently.

My progress: I must submit a recording of my audition by Friday, and I think I'm satisfied with my performance level of the piece. It's definitely nowhere near "virtuosic" or what have you, but it demonstrates to the university my current skill level which is ultimately what they want. After all, I'm going to major in music to learn and satisfy myself and my listeners with my music, not to beat anybody. smile I'll definitely post a video link this weekend!

Studying:
- Ballade No. 1 in G minor (working on first half & coda; memorizing)
- Etude Op. 25 No. 12 "Ocean" (memorizing)
- Liebestraum No. 3 (cadenzas)
- Pathétique Sonata (relearning)

#2223296 - 01/30/14 07:20 PM Re: Prelude in C-sharp minor - Post your progress! [Re: RyanThePianist]
TwoSnowflakes Online   blank
1000 Post Club Member

Yes please do!

I'm about to meet my maker with my teacher in half an hour. Let's see how the prelude shaped up this week.

I posted this on another thread, but it also goes quite well here. But here's how I feel when I play the prelude these days:

Chopin, Mazurka Op. 67 No.4
With the pedal I love to meddle; When Paderewski comes this way... -Irving Berlin

#2223328 - 01/30/14 08:42 PM Re: Prelude in C-sharp minor - Post your progress! [Re: TwoSnowflakes]
RyanThePianist Offline

Yes please do!

I'm about to meet my maker with my teacher in half an hour. Let's see how the prelude shaped up this week.

I posted this on another thread, but it also goes quite well here. But here's how I feel when I play the prelude these days:

Hahaha, hilarious! smile Do you have a video of you playing the prelude? I believe Griffen said you did earlier in this thread? Unless that was directed to phantom.

Studying:

#2223331 - 01/30/14 08:46 PM Re: Prelude in C-sharp minor - Post your progress! [Re: TwoSnowflakes]
hreichgott Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: western MA, USA
Yes please do!

laugh ha does he play the piano strings like a harp next?
How did it go today?
Totally loving Fauré/Barcarolles and Ravel/Tombeau de Couperin
I love Mozart, Haydn, Beethoven and new music

#2223375 - 01/30/14 10:51 PM Re: Prelude in C-sharp minor - Post your progress! [Re: RyanThePianist]
phantomFive Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: RyanThePianist

Very great goals! I must say, however, that there is never "perfect" in music. wink If this perfection was possible, I probably wouldn't be playing piano today. smile Also, what is your definition of a good recording compared to a poor one? Everyone can answer this differently.

Good points. I'll say then, a performance where I hit every note correctly. smile

And clarify that for a good recording, the audio equipment doesn't get in the way of what I am trying to convey musically.

#2223380 - 01/30/14 11:00 PM Re: Prelude in C-sharp minor - Post your progress! [Re: phantomFive]
RyanThePianist Offline

Good points. I'll say then, a performance where I hit every note correctly. smile

And clarify that for a good recording, the audio equipment doesn't get in the way of what I am trying to convey musically.

Good goal to strive for. I'm currently doing this by mastering slow practice note perfect first, and then increasing my speed slowly. If I make a mistake, I repeat and make up my own practice exercise to drill that part into my mind until I get it.

I see. Recording quality is a great problem among pianists... my audition for university will be from my phone actually, which surprisingly has better quality than my laptop. XD

Studying:

#2223394 - 01/30/14 11:32 PM Re: Prelude in C-sharp minor - Post your progress! [Re: RyanThePianist]
1000 Post Club Member

LOL we never got to the prelude. We're putting finishing touches on the Haydn's first two movements, and after we combed over the first movement and played through the second movement (for recital this weekend), we were totally out of time.

I did record the first section of the prelude a while back. It's a slower tempo than I play it now. I will try to get me playing the whole thing, though the third section is still not up to tempo.
With the pedal I love to meddle; When Paderewski comes this way... -Irving Berlin

#2223618 - 01/31/14 12:20 PM Re: Prelude in C-sharp minor - Post your progress! [Re: RyanThePianist]
phantomFive Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Recording quality is a great problem among pianists... my audition for university will be from my phone actually, which surprisingly has better quality than my laptop. XD

Even with a phone, you can still experiment with microphone placement and getting good variation in dynamic levels. Maybe find a 'recording studio' app that allows you to adjust compression levels.

Also, you can get a USB microphone for $30 on Amazon that will give you better results if your phone compresses your dynamics too much (the 'semper forte' effect). If you are auditioning for a university, it's good to have the dynamic range come out, because that's something they will likely listen for. Think about it, you're paying how much just to apply for the university?

#2223833 - 01/31/14 07:41 PM Re: Prelude in C-sharp minor - Post your progress! [Re: phantomFive]
RyanThePianist Offline

Recording quality is a great problem among pianists... my audition for university will be from my phone actually, which surprisingly has better quality than my laptop. XD

Even with a phone, you can still experiment with microphone placement and getting good variation in dynamic levels. Maybe find a 'recording studio' app that allows you to adjust compression levels.

Also, you can get a USB microphone for $30 on Amazon that will give you better results if your phone compresses your dynamics too much (the 'semper forte' effect). If you are auditioning for a university, it's good to have the dynamic range come out, because that's something they will likely listen for. Think about it, you're paying how much just to apply for the university?

Too late! Audition is due tomorrow. iPhone 4 quality will suffice I guess.

Edited by RyanThePianist (01/31/14 07:41 PM)

Studying:

#2223892 - 01/31/14 09:45 PM Re: Prelude in C-sharp minor - Post your progress! [Re: RyanThePianist]
phantomFive Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Too late! Audition is due tomorrow. iPhone 4 quality will suffice I guess.

Then stop by Radio Shack lol. Whatevs

#2224909 - 02/02/14 11:02 PM Re: Prelude in C-sharp minor - Post your progress! [Re: phantomFive]
ElaineAllegro Offline

Loc: Midwest US
I'm hoping to join this group/thread if it's not extinct; have been reading through for helpful hints. My teacher seemed to green light this piece today, but sometimes he backtracks, so I'll know for sure next week. I got up to the double staff part (not sure what to call it) in high school, decades ago, so some of the "which hand goes under/over" on the first page is still there.

My question: which edition did you prefer, and why? So far, I've got the Alfred/Murray Baylor, which has some possibly helpful pedaling, phrasing, and sostenuto hints, but also generates a lot of glare due to the coating on the pages. Also the one in "59 Piano Solos You Like to Play," which every piano household probably owns (battered, worn, hidden away; who bought this?) but not something to bring to lessons.

Thank you - hope I get the green light next Sunday!

#2224954 - 02/03/14 01:18 AM Re: Prelude in C-sharp minor - Post your progress! [Re: ElaineAllegro]
RyanThePianist Offline

Originally Posted By: ElaineAllegro
I'm hoping to join this group/thread if it's not extinct; have been reading through for helpful hints. My teacher seemed to green light this piece today, but sometimes he backtracks, so I'll know for sure next week. I got up to the double staff part (not sure what to call it) in high school, decades ago, so some of the "which hand goes under/over" on the first page is still there.

My question: which edition did you prefer, and why? So far, I've got the Alfred/Murray Baylor, which has some possibly helpful pedaling, phrasing, and sostenuto hints, but also generates a lot of glare due to the coating on the pages. Also the one in "59 Piano Solos You Like to Play," which every piano household probably owns (battered, worn, hidden away; who bought this?) but not something to bring to lessons.

This thread is definitely NOT dead. smile

I have "59 Piano Solos You Like to Play" also! I follow the pedaling in that edition. smile However, it's not very specific on how to pedal the middle section. I personally pedal after every quarter beat, but I pedal after two beats on the first two measures or so.

Studying:

#2225030 - 02/03/14 07:49 AM Re: Prelude in C-sharp minor - Post your progress! [Re: RyanThePianist]
1000 Post Club Member

Ha, I have that book, too, but I didn't even think to look in it. I have that one as well as 60 Progressive Piano Pieces You Like To Play.

Anyway, I first downloaded the Godowsky edited version, and then ultimately purchased the Peters edition, which is the one I'm using now.

I like it, except for one wrong note on the first page.

#2225112 - 02/03/14 10:03 AM Re: Prelude in C-sharp minor - Post your progress! [Re: RyanThePianist]
carey Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Phoenix, Arizona
I have "59 Piano Solos You Like to Play" also! I follow the pedaling in that edition. smile However, it's not very specific on how to pedal the middle section.

"59 Piano Solos You Like to Play" was first published by G. Schirmer, New York in 1936. It is anthology of the original Schirmer editions of those popular pieces. The "Prelude" was published in 1898 - six years after it was composed and around the time the piece was gaining popularity in the United States and Europe. The 1898 Schirmer edition was "edited and fingered" by Louis Oesterle (American, 1854 - 1932). Quite frankly, it's the only edition I've ever used of the Prelude (since 1958) - and perhaps that has been a serious oversight on my part. ha I've always assumed that the lack of pedal markings in the middle section were consistent with the way Rachmaninoff composed the piece. Does anyone here have access to an early Russian edition of the Prelude??

#2225142 - 02/03/14 10:55 AM Re: Prelude in C-sharp minor - Post your progress! [Re: RyanThePianist]
1000 Post Club Member

I'll ask my teacher, who learned this prelude early and in the Soviet Union, if she has her old music.

I know initially she wanted me off the pedal in certain small points during the middle section, but in general she wanted me to pedal through the middle section. And now, I'm pedaling slightly through the parts she initially wanted no pedal on.

#2226274 - 02/05/14 11:02 AM Re: Prelude in C-sharp minor - Post your progress! [Re: ElaineAllegro]
griffin2417 Offline

Silver Supporter until Dec 29 2012

Loc: Minneapolis, MN
Originally Posted By: ElaineAllegro

I also have the Murray Baylor edition. However, I'm not so sure that I'll be practicing from this yet. I'm simply reading through. I am very interested in finding out what others are using and why. I had a very bad experience once with Clair de Lune in which I found several errors. I had already put a lot of work into the piece before i started discovering the errors. Not a good thing! frown

#2226277 - 02/05/14 11:10 AM Re: Prelude in C-sharp minor - Post your progress! [Re: RyanThePianist]
1000 Post Club Member

Here's the Godowsky edition on imslp: http://imslp.org/wiki/Special:ReverseLookup/11125

#2226278 - 02/05/14 11:10 AM Re: Prelude in C-sharp minor - Post your progress! [Re: RyanThePianist]
griffin2417 Offline

Update: there was so much to cover in my last piano lesson that we hardly had time to talk about when my teacher plans to start me on the Prelude. I still have hopes it will be this month.

However, I did learn that I am the first student my teacher will be teaching the Prelude to. He's putting quite a bit of preparation time in. So it's a pretty big deal for both of us!

#2226285 - 02/05/14 11:17 AM Re: Prelude in C-sharp minor - Post your progress! [Re: RyanThePianist]
1000 Post Club Member

Ha, that's awesome. I don't think I'm the first student my teacher taught it to, but my teacher has been extremely excited about it because it was one of "those pieces" she really felt was emblematic of her piano childhood, so for the first month or so, she just lapsed into nostalgia.

#2226345 - 02/05/14 01:31 PM Re: Prelude in C-sharp minor - Post your progress! [Re: TwoSnowflakes]
griffin2417 Offline

Thanks for the link. I can assume you didn't find any errors in the Godowsky version. What made you decide on the Peters edition?

#2226866 - 02/06/14 09:59 AM Re: Prelude in C-sharp minor - Post your progress! [Re: RyanThePianist]
DanL Offline

Just started to play this piece this morning. I've just learn the beginning bars before Math Exercises smile. I'll take my time to complete this beautiful masterpiece smile.

#2226893 - 02/06/14 11:00 AM Re: Prelude in C-sharp minor - Post your progress! [Re: griffin2417]
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: griffin2417

Thanks for the link. I can assume you didn't find any errors in the Godowsky version. What made you decide on the Peters edition?

For pieces I end up studying, I always buy a score from my local music store even if I've downloaded it online. The Peters edition was what they had in the non-compendium version of Rachmaninoff. At the time I didn't think it would be anytime soon I'd be ready for other Rachmaninoff, but it looks like there are several other preludes I might be able to dive into.

I now have two copies of it: the Peters, and it also appears in the prelude collection I just got from Boosey and Hawkes. Well, three if you count the original download of the Godowsky.

#2227257 - 02/07/14 12:20 AM Re: Prelude in C-sharp minor - Post your progress! [Re: RyanThePianist]
phantomFive Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Progress Report, 2/6/14 9:18PM PT

Problem area: center section, is not even. The triplets sound almost random in rhythm. frown

Attempted solution: Practice section very slowly, carefully aligning the bass notes with the treble, and making the other notes as even as possible.

Mood: Optimistic.

Edited by phantomFive (02/07/14 12:20 AM)

#2228677 - 02/09/14 08:28 PM Re: Prelude in C-sharp minor - Post your progress! [Re: phantomFive]
ElaineAllegro Offline

Loc: Midwest US
I'm excited to be officially joining this thread. My teacher agreed we could add this to the mix.

I saw a lot of helpful hints here about getting through section 2 (agitato), but not too much on section 1. I'll share his suggestions in case anyone else finds them helpful.

This week's assignment (maybe this month's or season's, depending on progress) is to go through the page 1 chords slowly without pedal, pressing down from the surface of the keys using wrist motion; be sure all the notes are audible and equal weight, except voice the top note of the RH; and <aargh> try to make the top notes within the slurs sound like melodies by shifting along the keys from one chord to the next (no lifting). (Lots of detail; this doesn't come naturally to me.) He suggested playing everything mf for now, and adding dynamics when everything is crystal clear.

If anyone has other suggestions for page 1, I would appreciate it.

This piece totally justifies having bought a grand with a Sostenuto pedal!

#2228804 - 02/10/14 03:45 AM Re: Prelude in C-sharp minor - Post your progress! [Re: RyanThePianist]
phantomFive Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Here is a version played by Rachmaninoff himself. For those who are interested, it was recorded on a Bechstein with the Ampico system.

Story: when I was originally learning this, I played it rather slow, but someone came to my house, heard me and said, "wow, that sounds good." Even with all my mistakes and slowness. I said, "what? You should hear Rachmaninoff!" and I played this recording for them. However, the person couldn't even pay attention to it.

Moral of the Story: even if you can't play as well as Rachmaninoff, playing live music for someone can be much more captivating than a recording. You don't need to be anywhere near perfect to give your listeners enjoyment.

Edited by phantomFive (02/10/14 03:46 AM)

#2228901 - 02/10/14 09:29 AM Re: Prelude in C-sharp minor - Post your progress! [Re: ElaineAllegro]
griffin2417 Offline

Glad you're joining in ElaineAllegro. I'm still waiting for the green light from my teacher. Also, thanks in advance for sharing tips you pick up in studying this piece! I'm meeting with my teacher this week and hope to get a clearer idea when he plans to get me started. I'm hoping very soon this month.

#2228994 - 02/10/14 01:10 PM Re: Prelude in C-sharp minor - Post your progress! [Re: RyanThePianist]
1000 Post Club Member

Congrats, Elaine! Welcome!

When we're all good and ready with our pieces, we should have an All Rachmaninoff Prelude Op 2, No 3 Recital. It'll be fantastically repetitive, but fun. smile

Though I'm wondering if, after finally finishing, if I'll EVER want to hear this piece again! LOL!

#2228996 - 02/10/14 01:14 PM Re: Prelude in C-sharp minor - Post your progress! [Re: RyanThePianist]
1000 Post Club Member

Oh you asked for page one suggestions. I think I mentioned it upthread, but take a fingering and stick with it. Learn this inside and out and don't do much of anything else until that's done, with all the jumps secure. Once you can put the fingers and jumps on autopilot, you'll have a whole lot more brain to spare on expression.

This goes for lots of pieces, but for this one in particular, it really helps.

Then I miiiight suggest learning the third section. While the first section is fresh. For me, I waited so long because the second section took me such a loooooong time to get a handle on, I was not in "chord acquisition mode" anymore, and found it slower going than had I just basically treated it as an immediate extension of the first section.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
Our latest Issue is available now...
Piano News - Interesting & Fun Piano Related Newsletter! (free)
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
134 registered (AndrewJCW, a-z0-9, Almaviva, ajames, 42 invisible), 1522 Guests and 15 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75569 Members
42 Forums
156239 Topics
2294583 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Moving to Intermediate Level
by Gisele
20 minutes 42 seconds ago
Mixer
by doremi
47 minutes 38 seconds ago
Digital keyboard actions and price range question.
by Indra123
51 minutes 47 seconds ago
First-time piano buyer: budget under 10k
by Michael101467
Today at 10:13 PM
teaching in a studio vs independently from home
by JRoberts
Today at 07:40 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission