2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
36 members (Erinmarriott, David Boyce, 20/20 Vision, Animisha, beeboss, Cominut, brennbaer, crab89, aphexdisklavier, admodios, 4 invisible), 1,330 guests, and 281 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
B
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by prout
Originally Posted by Tunewerk
Originally Posted by Del
...(My preference, should anyone wonder, is a properly designed and constructed open-face pinblock.)

Yes. I second this.

Originally Posted by Del
There are reasons why a recently tuned piano can easily be knocked out of tune with a hard blow but the fact that the piano is short is not one of them.

But disagree here.

A shorter scale contributes to instability. A competent technician is able to tune them all, but smaller changes in pin rotation result in the same change in frequency for smaller instruments. Meanwhile, the levels of mechanical error remain the same, which affect the string frequencies by a greater percentage.

Trying to lock down a good tuning on a tiny baby grand, console or spinet is an exercise in insanity. It's an attempt to achieve something that poor machine was not designed to do reliably.

In relation to the subject of this thread, yes the technician still should be able to lock down a tuning despite design deficiencies. It is an achievement of skill in adverse circumstance that we all face regularly.

I don't want to start an argument here but, isn't the scale of most pianos about the same from roughly C4 up? I can understand that below the scale change a shorter string length will be more susceptible to minute changes in tension.

That is true, and the smaller soundboard is less liable to changes due to humidity.

Semipro Tech
E
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
E
Prout,
The middle portion of the piano scale is the region that moves the most regarding pitch. Shorter string scales, (low break-point), will change pitch more per change in elongation than a longer scale.

Often in smaller pianos the first plain wire notes above the wound strings are at a very low break point. So they are harder to tune, move pitch more with any humidity change, and if not tuned carefully, will slip out of tune more than a longer scale.

The unfortunate truth about piano tuning stability is that the part of the compass used most is what goes out of tune the easiest.

In a seemingly infinite universe-infinite human creativity is-seemingly possible.
According to NASA, 93% of the earth like planets possible in the known universe have yet to be formed.
P
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
P
Thanks BDB and Ed. I always learn so much here.

G
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
G
Ed I watched your video but there is a word which you use a couple of times which I cannot quite hear: to quote " depending on wether or not you moved the ???? " it sounds like FLYT?
y In particular y,ou use it just before then end and it seems it is essential to the meaning of the explanation.

Silver Supporter until December 19, 2014
2000 Post Club Member

Silver Supporter until December 19, 2014
2000 Post Club Member
It depends upon the design and quality of the piano.

I can think of a few "short" uprights that are much more stable than the taller - even by the same maker using quality materials. It's the design that's makes the difference. One example is the old Baldwin Acrosonic vs the old Baldwin 6000, both of similar age, condition and environment. With respect to achieving and maintaining reasonable tuning stability, the "shorter" Acro wins hands down.

On the other hand, a cheaply made piano will not stabilize no matter what you do. Sadly, the examples of these are too many to recount here.

Last edited by bkw58; 02/02/14 11:13 AM. Reason: clarity

Bob W.
Piano Technician (Retired since 2006)
Conway, Arkansas
www.pianotechno.blogspot.com
R
rXd Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
R
There are two basic definitions of stability as it applies to pianos. One is within the control of the tuner and concerns how well the tuning has been set in place to withstand the heaviest playing. This is independent of the size of the piano. Although I have known unisons that are very slightly put go back in tune by themselves, unisons that have failed need the attention of a tuner to correct them.

The other concerns how well the general structure of the piano withstands the many changes of atmosphere between tunings and is not within the control of the tuner.

Some pianos, well tuned, can stay in tune for years on end. Another piano of the same make and model may not fare so well, even in the same room. This ability to stay in tune is independant of the size of the piano. A piano can go out of tune in this manner and still have the unisons intact and come back into tune again later as though nothing had happened.

Amanda Reckonwith
Concert & Recording tuner-tech, London, England.
"in theory, practice and theory are the same thing. In practice, they're not." - Lawrence P. 'Yogi' Berra.

P
OP Offline
P
Thanks for the replies. It seems I won't be calling him again.

My performance was...ehh; I don't think the piano affected it. The unisons weren't too clean but since the piano was voiced darker, the faster-beating high partials aren't as audible.

Yes, the kind of stability I'm talking about is the ability to stay in tune under heavy playing.

One111
S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by PianistOne111
Thanks for the replies. It seems I won't be calling him again.

My performance was...ehh; I don't think the piano affected it. The unisons weren't too clean but since the piano was voiced darker, the faster-beating high partials aren't as audible.

Yes, the kind of stability I'm talking about is the ability to stay in tune under heavy playing.

Even the finest concert grands in the most ideal conditions will have some degree of tuning shift under heavy (abusive) playing conditions.

Last edited by SMHaley; 02/03/14 10:01 PM.

PTG Associate
AIO Regular Member
ASCAP
Pipe Organ Builder
Chief Instrument Technician, Director, Chancel Arts
Church Music Professional
AA Music Arts 2001, BM Organ, Choral 2005

Baldwin F 1960 (146256)
Zuckermann Flemish Single
E
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
E
The tuning slippage you experienced could be because the piano was horribly out to begin with and there was insufficient time to stabilize it.

Many performance venues also can have issues with lights heating the strings too much when the lid is open. Stage doors being left open to facilitate moving in other instruments, props and A/V equipment. All these things can send the temperament and octaves adrift. Wild unisons are most probably tuner error. Although if time is short the top treble often gets short shrift so a wild unison may be present there already and not get attended to.

In a seemingly infinite universe-infinite human creativity is-seemingly possible.
According to NASA, 93% of the earth like planets possible in the known universe have yet to be formed.
J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
One of the most stable pianos I've ever found are the Baldwin Acrosonic spinets, one of the shortest pianos ever made.

Tuner-Technician

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,179
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission