Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2225313 - 02/03/14 05:46 PM Is this something to be concerned with?
Jorge Andrade Offline

Guys, I just came across this on my piano, it looks like both sides of the stretcher are separating from the body of the piano, I gently pulled on it but it feels tight, is this something I should be
concerned about? I'm honestly kind of freaking out and don't really know what to do, I need some advice, is the stretcher more of a cosmetic purpose than structural or am I in serious trouble here?
[img:center]http://s1257.photobucket.com/user/jorgeandrade20/media/20140203_120826.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0[/img]

[img:center]http://s1257.photobucket.com/user/jorgeandrade20/media/20140203_120749.jpg.html?sort=3&o=1[/img]

If the images above don't show up right they're located at:
http://s1257.photobucket.com/user/jorgeandrade20/library/

(ad PTG 568) Grand Action Regulation in 37 Steps
Grand Action Regulation in 37 Steps
#2225464 - 02/03/14 10:17 PM Re: Is this something to be concerned with? [Re: Jorge Andrade]
Ed McMorrow, RPT Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Seattle, WA USA
The pictures and/or my eyesight is unable to provide enough detail to see what the complete condition is that you are concerned about.

It might be that the finish is only cracking and/or it might be movement in the wood. If the piano was just moved and the cracks appeared immediately upon delivery-then maybe it was handled roughly.

#2225507 - 02/03/14 11:47 PM Re: Is this something to be concerned with? [Re: Ed McMorrow, RPT]
Jorge Andrade Offline

I apologize, it's more likely my pictures than your eyesight to blame here, but anyhow, the stretcher has separated from the body of the piano, it's more noticeable on the right side but both sides did it, you mentioned movement of the wood, most likely the change in humidity I think, the piano hasn't been moved in almost 2 years, I live in Las Vegas so I have a room humidifier but it's really really really hard to keep the humidity above 40%, sometimes it fluctuates between 35 and 50, so that could have done it, but I'm really worried that this separation of the stretcher might cause somethng else to fail, if you look closely there's a line right under the gap, taht's a crack that developed on both sides, I really don't know what's going on, but at this point I don't know what to do.

#2225547 - 02/04/14 01:44 AM Re: Is this something to be concerned with? [Re: Jorge Andrade]
Dale Fox Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Nor California Sacramento area
Jorge,

it is a bit difficult to tell what exactly we are looking at. Maybe a picture from a bit more distance would give some perspective that might help. Show a bit more of the piano structure?

I know from past posts that the piano started life in Georgia and certainly Las Vegas is a major departure from that climate. (Assuming it to be the Bosy)

Edited by Dale Fox (02/04/14 01:51 AM)

#2225548 - 02/04/14 01:45 AM Re: Is this something to be concerned with? [Re: Jorge Andrade]
ando Online   content
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Melbourne, Australia
What is a "stretcher"?

#2225643 - 02/04/14 08:16 AM Re: Is this something to be concerned with? [Re: ando]
Craig Hair Offline

Loc: Holyoke, MA
The stretcher is the case part, on a grand, that runs in front of the pin block and plate, from inner case to inner case; often holding part of the lock.

hampshirepiano.co
soundboardrecrown.com

Either do something worth the writing,
or write something worth the reading.
S. Clemens

#2225645 - 02/04/14 08:19 AM Re: Is this something to be concerned with? [Re: Craig Hair]
ando Online   content
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Originally Posted By: Craig Hair
The stretcher is the case part, on a grand, that runs in front of the pin block and plate, from inner case to inner case; often holding part of the lock.

Ah, thanks Craig. I've seen that part, but never knew the name for it.

#2225843 - 02/04/14 04:06 PM Re: Is this something to be concerned with? [Re: Dale Fox]
Jorge Andrade Offline

Hi Dale, how have you been? It's still the same Bosie, I've uploaded a few more pictures to the album, can you guys please take a look and let me know what you think?

#2225851 - 02/04/14 04:22 PM Re: Is this something to be concerned with? [Re: Jorge Andrade]
Herr Weiss Online   content

Loc: New York, N.Y.
You haven't mentioned yet but I figured that this particular problem you are having has not affected the sound or the playing in any shape or form, correct?

Where is Oleg when we need him???

HW

#2225861 - 02/04/14 04:36 PM Re: Is this something to be concerned with? [Re: Herr Weiss]
Jorge Andrade Offline

I don't believe it has, or at least I haven't noticed a difference in the sound or the playing, my real worry is that, this piano being older is not like the newer ones where the stretcher is merely a plank of wood, on mine there's an oval design and the treble section is very wide so there's a big portion covering the pinblock, if the pinblock is attached to it I dont' want all this "movement" to affect it.

#2225862 - 02/04/14 04:36 PM Re: Is this something to be concerned with? [Re: Jorge Andrade]
OperaTenor Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Sandy Eggo, California
From what I can tell, it looks like a significant separation.

Edited by OperaTenor (02/04/14 04:37 PM)

#2225883 - 02/04/14 05:12 PM Re: Is this something to be concerned with? [Re: Jorge Andrade]
BDB Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Oakland
It is not going to affect the playability of the piano, nor any of the rest of the structure. Other pianos are made with removable stretchers. Fill it up and touch up the finish over it.

#2225972 - 02/04/14 07:18 PM Re: Is this something to be concerned with? [Re: Jorge Andrade]
Del Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Olympia, Washington
Originally Posted By: Jorge Andrade
Guys, I just came across this on my piano, it looks like both sides of the stretcher are separating from the body of the piano, I gently pulled on it but it feels tight, is this something I should be concerned about? I'm honestly kind of freaking out and don't really know what to do, I need some advice, is the stretcher more of a cosmetic purpose than structural or am I in serious trouble here?

It's difficult to tell from your pictures. Or from any pictures, for that. It is probably more cosmetic than structural but I'd suggest you have a competent piano technician look at it.

If you in Las Vegas you might call David Chadwick. I don't know him all that well personally but at the PTG convention held there a couple of years ago he did some work for a company I was consulting with and he did very good work. And he did it without complaining about the poor working conditions -- quite rare, indeed.

ddf

Edited by Del (02/04/14 07:22 PM)
(To contact me privately please use this e-mail address.)

Stupidity is a rare condition, ignorance is a common choice. --Anon

#2226023 - 02/04/14 09:16 PM Re: Is this something to be concerned with? [Re: ando]
Ed McMorrow, RPT Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Seattle, WA USA
Steinway NY calls it the "cornice".

#2226379 - 02/05/14 02:43 PM Re: Is this something to be concerned with? [Re: Jorge Andrade]
Silverwood Pianos Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Vancouver B. C. Canada

Moving this instrument from Georgia to Vegas is an interesting study in wooden frame structures and how they react to moisture retention and release.

After viewing the photos a separation in that area of the instrument would not be my primary concern; I would be looking in far more important places for that kind of thing. Not attempting to alarm the OP but pianos have a lot of important joints to inspect if this kind of moisture- loss- activated separations are appearing.
http://www.facebook.com/SilverwoodPianosDotCom
"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur."

#2226955 - 02/06/14 12:33 PM Re: Is this something to be concerned with? [Re: Jorge Andrade]
Jorge Andrade Offline

Thank you all for your input, it has definitely been very challenging to try and keep this piano up, I have a room humidifier installed, however, the thing works non-stop 24 hours to try and keep it at 45-50%, most of the time it fluctuates between 35-50% (during the winter time - summer time I'm lucky if I get 30% because of the AC) which I think it's causing more harm than good, I'm almost tempted to just fill the room with pots and plants instead, the noise of the humidifier drives everyone crazy and honestly I don't think it's doing the piano any good, the crack on the soundboard still opened up more and now I have little cracks on the finish and this separation on the stretcher, it's been 2 years now you'd think the piano would be done acclimatizing but that seems not to be the case, the piano is in the front room and the open layout of my house probably doesn't help either but there's nothing I can do about that, well, I guess I'll just enjoy this instrument till it is no more.

#2226960 - 02/06/14 12:39 PM Re: Is this something to be concerned with? [Re: Silverwood Pianos]
Jorge Andrade Offline

Funny you'd mention that, I had a fine furniture restorer come by and check out the piano to give me a quote on refinishing it and he said the same thing, the piano started in New Jersey, then moved to Georgia, then Las Vegas, this piano has covered some miles!

#2226983 - 02/06/14 01:22 PM Re: Is this something to be concerned with? [Re: Jorge Andrade]
Silverwood Pianos Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Vancouver B. C. Canada

Flowering plants, boiling pots of water, (with spuds, or not) hanging wet clothing on a rack to dry in that room will all help.

Reads like the humidifier is too small for the room, if it is running continuously. Maybe the room door is being left open and the humidifier is struggling to moderate the air flow to other places.
http://www.facebook.com/SilverwoodPianosDotCom
"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur."

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
8 Live Ragtime Piano Players on the Cape!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Help with forum for Musette in D Major...
by ieatglitter14
10/21/14 05:27 PM
The 2 Most Common Questions Conundrum
by chernobieff
10/21/14 02:44 PM
Heroic Polonaise help please...
by ChopinLives81
10/21/14 02:28 PM
Maurizio Pollini at Carnegie Hall
by Works1
10/21/14 12:53 PM
Steinway event
by Radio.Octave
10/21/14 11:18 AM
Who's Online
129 registered (alfredo capurso, ando, anotherscott, anamnesis, 36251, 32 invisible), 1536 Guests and 13 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76608 Members
42 Forums
158401 Topics
2326135 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission