2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
37 members (Erinmarriott, David Boyce, 20/20 Vision, Animisha, beeboss, Cominut, brennbaer, crab89, aphexdisklavier, admodios, 4 invisible), 1,329 guests, and 280 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Mark_C Offline OP
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
Originally Posted by JoelW
What did he play?

He played whatever it is that he plays. ha

And BTW, it's not just "playing" (need I say) -- it's a whole "performance."

It started out with him doing a fairly extended percussion thing in the middle of the intro, then getting up and doing the singing/dancing/whatever. And there were at least two contrasting "songs" (I think that's the right word for this). grin I don't know about this kind of stuff, so I can't tell you what it was or if it was good, but I didn't mind it grin ....and I found his whole thing very impressive and very well done -- and anyway it was clear that he wasn't screwing up or "ruining his career." ha He's a multi-talented, poised, dynamic and charismatic performer.

A
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
A
Agreed. It was a great performance and was well executed. Mars is a skilled performer and a good man it seems too.

"A good intention but fixed and resolute - bent on high and holy ends, we shall find means to them on every side and at every moment; and even obstacles and opposition will but make us 'like the fabled specter-ships,' which sail the fastest in the very teeth of the wind."
R. W. Emerson
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Mark_C
Originally Posted by JoelW
What did he play?

He played whatever it is that he plays. ha

And BTW, it's not just "playing" (need I say) -- it's a whoe "performance."

It started out with him doing a fairly extended percussion thing in the middle of the intro, then getting up and doing the singing/dancing/whatever. And there were at least two contrasting "songs" (I think that's the right word for this). grin I don't know about this kind of stuff, but I didn't mind it grin ....and I found his whole thing very impressive and very well done -- and anyway it was clear that he wasn't screwing up or "ruining his career." ha He's a multi-talented, poised, dynamic and charismatic performer.

And a good songwriter too. By the way, feel free to call that stuff "songs". It's not like the audience calls it anything different. grin

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014
7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member
When did the S.S.B. first moosh into 4/4 time?

Luckily it slid back to 3/4 in a fit of reality!

Marty in Minnesota

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Minnesota Marty
When did the S.S.B. first moosh into 4/4 time?

Luckily it slid back to 3/4 in a fit of reality!

What in the world are you talking about, Marty?

I may not be fast,
but at least I'm slow.

7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member
For as long as I can remember, I've heard and played the National Anthem (S.S.B.) as written in 3/4 time.

Fleming sang the first half in 4/4 time. A number of Bowls ago, there was a truly bad pop singer who did the same thing.

I'm not into variations on the Anthem.

Marty in Minnesota

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
(hurl)

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Ah. S.S.B. "Star Spangled Banner."

I thought we were talking about the half-time show, which was all divisible by two.

The arrangement and execution of the national anthem sounds very broadway, if you ask me.

Last edited by Cinnamonbear; 02/03/14 11:27 PM.

I may not be fast,
but at least I'm slow.
D
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
D
That was awful.

A
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
A
For as long as I can remember, I've heard and played the National Anthem (S.S.B.) as written in 3/4 time.

Fleming sang the first half in 4/4 time. A number of Bowls ago, there was a truly bad pop singer who did the same thing.

I didn't like it either. I'm not American, but your anthem is probably the greatest one on Earth and I felt offended for you guys when I heard this. the 4/4 time was bad enough, but the extra bar after each 8 bar verse made it sound extra cheesy/Hollywood. The anthem should be predictable and strong, and in 3/4 time - not a guessing game about when each phrase starts and when the syllables of each word will finally tumble out of her mouth.

As far as her voice went - that is a singer well past her prime. She actually sang a lot of it in falsetto (listen to the major 6th interval at 1:33-1:34). I think they need to bring in a proper singer in his/her prime and keep it simple. That's what people really want to hear. The song they learned in elementary school.

W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by ando

I didn't like it either. I'm not American, but your anthem is probably the greatest one on Earth and I felt offended for you guys when I heard this. the 4/4 time was bad enough, but the extra bar after each 8 bar verse made it sound extra cheesy/Hollywood. The anthem should be predictable and strong, and in 3/4 time - not a guessing game about when each phrase starts and when the syllables of each word will finally tumble out of her mouth.

As far as her voice went - that is a singer well past her prime. She actually sang a lot of it in falsetto (listen to the major 6th interval at 1:33-1:34). I think they need to bring in a proper singer in his/her prime and keep it simple. That's what people really want to hear. The song they learned in elementary school.

I don't even understand why they do it - sing and play the anthem at sporting events. Do they think people don't know what country they are in and need the reminder, for some obscure reason?

Last edited by wr; 02/04/14 08:08 AM.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by wr
Originally Posted by ando

I don't even understand why they do it - sing and play the anthem at sporting events. Do they think people don't know what country they are in and need the reminder, for some obscure reason?

It's a tradition and it sets the mood. Why have previews at the movies when I can see whatever previews I want at home? It's just part of the whole process and makes for a better experience (besides the obvious goal of marketing). I think this also explains why I agree with ando that a more traditional performance would be better. The fireworks are probably not necessary either but why not? grin

(I did not bother to watch the game btw)

Unobtanium Supporter until Jun 020 2020
3000 Post Club Member

Unobtanium Supporter until Jun 020 2020
3000 Post Club Member
I'm not offended by someone doing an arrangement of the SSB that's faithful to the spirit of it, and doing it in 4/4 is unusual -- but not per se bad.

I'm also a fan of Renee Fleming and was glad to see an opera singer get this gig.

All that said, this version didn't work for me. I had hoped for something a lot better.

[Linked Image]

"Don't let the devil fool you -
Here comes a dove;
Nothing cures like time and love."

-- Laura Nyro

7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member
It's interesting to hear the viewpoint of a non-USA citizen. Did you know that most Americans think that "America the Beautiful" is our National Anthem? Well, at least it's easier to sing.

I have always found an anthem as a waltz, made up of prepositional phrases, to be rather odd. No to mention that it is not easy to sing for the average countryman.

Eons ago, when I was in H.S., I was in an orchestra which was charged with performing the National Anthem of Afghanistan. That was long before the current version. We were confronted with a score notated in 6.5/8 time.

Once you recovered from the shock, and "felt" the rhythm, it was fun!

Marty in Minnesota

Mark_C Offline OP
OP Offline
....made up of prepositional phrases....

They're not prepositional phrases, they're rhetorical questions, or something like that. grin

BTW I didn't know either what you meant by "SSB." IMO most abbrevs are a WOT.

D
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
D
It's interesting to hear the viewpoint of a non-USA citizen. Did you know that most Americans think that "America the Beautiful" is our National Anthem?

I know mine is a relatively small sampling, but I don't know anyone who thinks that, but most people I know wish it. It's a much better tune.

Mark_C Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by Damon
....I don't know anyone who thinks that, but most people I know wish it. It's a much better tune.

Sure, but I don't think "better tune" is one of the better criteria for a National Anthem!

I think grandeur. While the Star Spangled Banner isn't my favorite national anthem, I love it, and I love hearing it -- even more so when I'm out of the country (which isn't often, but I mean whenever it is). smile

"America, the Beautiful" wouldn't quite do it. Although maybe it's just because of decades of knowing it not to be the national anthem....

7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member
Well, when it comes to Super Bowls, I tend to focus on names I recognize, rather than some singer with whom I'm not familiar, performing in a genre that I find unappealing. So, I concentrated on Fleming.

Actually Mark C, they are prepositional phrases. Have some fun diagraming/parsing that incredible run-on sentence.

ROTFLMAO

Marty in Minnesota

Mark_C Offline OP
OP Offline
....they are prepositional phrases....

How?
(Prepositional phrases start with prepositions.)

Maybe you mean propositional phrases.... ha

7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member
by
what
at
whose (I think)
o'er
as

etc.

Propositional phrases should not be used in public situations! (Except, maybe a bar.)

Marty in Minnesota

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,183
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission