Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#2222803 - 01/29/14 09:08 PM Re: Amazing Jazz Piano,,, at age 10? [Re: Inlanding]
Chrisl Offline

Loc: Chicago, IL
Amazing talents both of them. A joy to watch, enjoy and be inspired.

Thanks for posting the videos Glen!

Chris

New sound setup: Midi out to macbook, FW 800 to Metric Halo LIO 8 DAC to HD650's. Very Nice.

Piano & Music Accessories
#2222964 - 01/30/14 06:35 AM Re: Amazing Jazz Piano,,, at age 10? [Re: Michael Martinez]
The Wind Offline

Originally Posted By: Michael Martinez

Which is why this kid is not playing jazz.

10 year old kid is not capable of making that up on the go.

I'm not criticizing his playing, for what it is. I'm simply pointing out that it's not truly jazz because he memorized exactly what to play beforehand. There's plenty of examples of young musical prodigies - mostly they tend to end up playing classical music, so the only unusual thing about this one is the genre.

How you came up with these assumptions I have no clue. You are saying a 10 year old kid can't improvise? I have personally taught kids younger than that to improvise. Now not on the level which Joey is doing, but definitely created on the spot.

And how can you say he memorized it, as fact. When you have no bloody idea what he's doing. This is shocking words coming from a "music educator". Tell me again how many children you've taught?

#2222984 - 01/30/14 08:08 AM Re: Amazing Jazz Piano,,, at age 10? [Re: Inlanding]
chrisbell Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Stockholm, Sweden
Of course he improvises. This vid is from a concert (there's several other clips from the same gig), no way he has learnt the beforehand:

I never play anything the same way once.

https://soundcloud.com/chrisb/sets
https://www.youtube.com/user/djboing/videos

#2223051 - 01/30/14 10:37 AM Re: Amazing Jazz Piano,,, at age 10? [Re: The Wind]
DanS Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: The Wind
For you to even come to that conclusion shows you don't know anything about jazz. why would anyone memorize exact notes and regurgitate it. The spirit of jazz is freedom and improv. Clearly the kid is expressing that in his playing.

Your analysis baffles me and makes me wonder what you are listening to in his playing, and if you think someone is incapable of making that up on the go. Clearly you don't play much jazz yourself.

True genius will always have it's detractors.

#2223066 - 01/30/14 11:04 AM Re: Amazing Jazz Piano,,, at age 10? [Re: Inlanding]
36251 Offline
500 Post Club Member

It's to bad that a nice thread about some gifted young musicians becomes taken over by a troll, who must enjoy the attention.

#2223071 - 01/30/14 11:09 AM Re: Amazing Jazz Piano,,, at age 10? [Re: Inlanding]
The Wind Offline

Michael isn't even a troll, I think he honestly believes what he says. Just that he hasn't listened to enough jazz to really know.

The thing is he is trying to give music education on his website but from his comments here I am not sure he is qualified to teach, if his ears can't distinguish between real improv and memorized playing.

#2223112 - 01/30/14 12:15 PM Re: Amazing Jazz Piano,,, at age 10? [Re: Inlanding]
Inlanding Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Colorado
Hi Ladies and Gents~~
My preference is to remain undeterred by detractor(s) with this thread.

Since we are all enjoying the music of what are fantastic forces in jazz - here are a couple videos of Ariel Lanyi, another amazing player of both classical and jazz (here).

No doubt these amazing young players do a great deal of listening when they are not playing...I am always curious as to what players influence them.

Enjoy!

Glen

A Bit of YouTube

PTG Associate Member

#2223150 - 01/30/14 01:13 PM Re: Amazing Jazz Piano,,, at age 10? [Re: Inlanding]
Michael Martinez Offline

Loc: California
Guys, even Art Tatum couldn't improvise at this level of sophistication at age 10.

#2223161 - 01/30/14 01:26 PM Re: Amazing Jazz Piano,,, at age 10? [Re: Inlanding]
Inlanding Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Colorado
Michael, have a look at Art Tatum's biography, Too Marvelous for Words - you'll enjoy it, hopefully, and learn more about his genius as a young, blind player, during a time quite different than what we have today. We don't want to derail the enjoyment we are finding here.

This thread remains about contemporary, amazing, young jazz players we discover.

Glen

A Bit of YouTube

PTG Associate Member

#2223169 - 01/30/14 01:37 PM Re: Amazing Jazz Piano,,, at age 10? [Re: Inlanding]
Michael Martinez Offline

The problem with this discussion is that we don't have any way to test the premise. If there were different recordings of him doing the same tune, and each time he's playing it differently, then this would indicate he is actually improvising.

I listened to Round Midnight again and I'm convinced he memorized this beforehand. He plays exactly how any child prodigy who memorized a classical piece would play.

I listend to Armando and some of the RH lines seem like they could be improvisation, but again there's no way to verify this.

Of the three tunes, Giant Steps has the most improvised sound, I'm referring to the RH lines here. But it's difficult to say because it's easy to memorize a bunch of licks and bebop lines. Again, we would need him to play the same same song back-to-back (two or three takes) and compare them.

I mean, we could possibly end this discussion once and for all by contacting someone who would know and simply asking if Joey Alexander improvises this stuff.

#2223176 - 01/30/14 01:45 PM Re: Amazing Jazz Piano,,, at age 10? [Re: Inlanding]
Michael Martinez Offline

Here's another version of him doing Giant Steps: we should compare the two versions, would give us a good indication as to whether he is improvising:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMN0URhBpys

#2223179 - 01/30/14 01:48 PM Re: Amazing Jazz Piano,,, at age 10? [Re: Michael Martinez]
36251 Offline
500 Post Club Member

jealousy is a bad emotion.

#2223184 - 01/30/14 01:55 PM Re: Amazing Jazz Piano,,, at age 10? [Re: Inlanding]
Michael Martinez Offline

I REVERSE my position. After comparing the two versions of Giant Steps, I see that this kid truly is improvising and not just regurgitating memorized version(s) of the song!

Originally Posted By: 36251
jealousy is a bad emotion.

ha jaja
and sarcasm from random folks on the internet is so rare ...

Edited by Michael Martinez (01/30/14 01:57 PM)

#2223185 - 01/30/14 01:58 PM Re: Amazing Jazz Piano,,, at age 10? [Re: Inlanding]
The Wind Offline

Just enjoy the music and marvel at the talents. ALL musicians have their favourite licks and lines that they use. If you listen to Oscar Peterson alot of his improvs have the same feel. Listen to Herbie, Chick, Miles, and you can hear similarities in various renditions of songs.

I am quite sure that Joey is playing improv based off the melody, like all good jazz musicians do. I highly doubt he bothered to memorize entire lines note for note. Real jazz players know.

#2223186 - 01/30/14 01:59 PM Re: Amazing Jazz Piano,,, at age 10? [Re: The Wind]
Michael Martinez Offline

I am quite sure that Joey is playing improv based off the melody, like all good jazz musicians do. I highly doubt he bothered to memorize entire lines note for note.

Yes, after comparing two Giant Steps, I'm of the same opinion.

#2223189 - 01/30/14 02:08 PM Re: Amazing Jazz Piano,,, at age 10? [Re: Michael Martinez]
The Wind Offline

Originally Posted By: Michael Martinez

I am quite sure that Joey is playing improv based off the melody, like all good jazz musicians do. I highly doubt he bothered to memorize entire lines note for note.

Yes, after comparing two Giant Steps, I'm of the same opinion.

Glad you came to your senses. Although it shouldn't have taken a comparison of 2 videos to come to that conclusion. As I said you can tell just listening to his playing.

And your comments about 10 year olds aren't capable of doing that...hmm, don't be so quick. Sure, most probably can't but in today's world of youtube anyone can get access to all the great jazz players of past generations.

#2223198 - 01/30/14 02:21 PM Re: Amazing Jazz Piano,,, at age 10? [Re: Inlanding]
Diane... Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Western Canada
Originally Posted By: Inlanding
... at any age, really.

My sister sent me this video yesterday of this brilliant player - thought I'd pass i on - hope you enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_fQrcEfXRU
Glen

Wow Wow, & WOW! I'm speechless!!!!! Bravo!

#2225312 - 02/03/14 05:45 PM Re: Amazing Jazz Piano,,, at age 10? [Re: Inlanding]
Mark Polishook Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Leicester, UK
I've just posted an interview on my blog with Joey Alexander and his dad.

http://www.polishookstudio.com/2014/02/interview-with-joey-alexander.html

#2225590 - 02/04/14 04:58 AM Re: Amazing Jazz Piano,,, at age 10? [Re: Mark Polishook]
custard apple Online   blank
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Sydney
Thanks Mark.
What a talent. It's one thing to hear the song in his head, and it's another thing to play it convincingly through technique.

I loved the link of Amazing Grace, I didn't know Joey was so Gospel influenced.

#2225627 - 02/04/14 07:29 AM Re: Amazing Jazz Piano,,, at age 10? [Re: Inlanding]
KlinkKlonk Offline

who's uglier though HH or that kid?

#2225863 - 02/04/14 04:38 PM Re: Amazing Jazz Piano,,, at age 10? [Re: KlinkKlonk]
Michael Martinez Offline

Originally Posted By: KlinkKlonk

grin

#2226100 - 02/05/14 01:03 AM Re: Amazing Jazz Piano,,, at age 10? [Re: KlinkKlonk]
The Wind Offline

If you could play like either one of them who cares. Or I guess you're one of those vain people who only cares about superficial things. A comment like that shows the true ugliness of your heart. Think about that.

#2226209 - 02/05/14 08:51 AM Re: Amazing Jazz Piano,,, at age 10? [Re: Inlanding]
KlinkKlonk Offline

no Im quite ugly aswell, it's a necessity for playing jazz

#2226270 - 02/05/14 10:51 AM Re: Amazing Jazz Piano,,, at age 10? [Re: Inlanding]
Music Me Offline

Loc: New York
KlinkKlonk - SPEAK FOR YOURSELF. NO ROOM FOR THIS HERE.

#2226320 - 02/05/14 12:55 PM Re: Amazing Jazz Piano,,, at age 10? [Re: KlinkKlonk]
The Wind Offline

no Im quite ugly aswell, it's a necessity for playing jazz

Yeah I figured that much. Maybe it's your life in general that's caused you to have this outlook. Klonkers.

#2226343 - 02/05/14 01:29 PM Re: Amazing Jazz Piano,,, at age 10? [Re: Music Me]
The Wind Offline

Originally Posted By: Music Me
KlinkKlonk - SPEAK FOR YOURSELF. NO ROOM FOR THIS HERE.

Agreed.

#2228524 - 02/09/14 03:46 PM Re: Amazing Jazz Piano,,, at age 10? [Re: Inlanding]
jazztpt Offline

It's humbling watching these kids , they are the stars of the future, simply amazing. Let's face it anyone with this talent is way ahead of us mere mortals just like the ones that have gone before them,Tatum , Evans, Hancok, Corea , Jarrett etc.

Comments about how they look, now that is low!

Piano Recordings

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  sharpsandflats 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Most Difficult?
by SiFi
09/18/14 01:21 AM
What is most common size wire to break?
by Ed McMorrow, RPT
09/18/14 12:19 AM
Will this Piano Room have good Acoustics?
by flamenco88
09/17/14 10:59 PM
Proud new owner of a Yamaha P22
by amanda416
09/17/14 09:04 PM
Returning to piano, advice on slow learning process
by roninpro
09/17/14 07:57 PM
Who's Online
69 registered (alexbergauer, aesop, Allard, ando, AndreiN, Aljon, 20 invisible), 981 Guests and 18 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76237 Members
42 Forums
157597 Topics
2314875 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission