Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#2218820 - 01/22/14 02:10 PM What do the President's Children Practice On?
iObsessed Offline

Loc: US
I assume at least some know that Malia and Sasha Obama take piano lessons and therefore have to practice. But I'm just curious, what do they practice on? There is certainly the ornate Steinway there, but what else might they be practicing on? What if they play on concert grands all the time? (Although that would be a good possibility since those may be the only pianos there)

Edited by iObsessed (01/22/14 02:11 PM)

(ads 568) Hailun Pianos

#2218824 - 01/22/14 02:15 PM Re: What do the President's Children Practice On? [Re: iObsessed]
Minnesota Marty Offline

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014

Loc: Rochester MN
Interesting question.

The first family's residence is quite private and often furnished with personal possessions. It is possible that there is a piano in the upstairs quarters. It wouldn't appear on the official inventory of the White House contents.

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.

#2218825 - 01/22/14 02:18 PM Re: What do the President's Children Practice On? [Re: Minnesota Marty]
iObsessed Offline

Well I would not think that they hauled a piano to the White House since I'm sure that when Bush gave Obama the tour in 2008 that Bush must have showed him some pianos in the White House. But Obama might have hauled his piano to the White House anyway. Obviously personal possessions would not be revealed.

#2218837 - 01/22/14 02:34 PM Re: What do the President's Children Practice On? [Re: iObsessed]
Minnesota Marty Offline

There have been numerous articles on the massive moving activities that occur during the inauguration ceremonies. The incoming executive is allowed to move in his/her entire household and it is coordinated with the move out of the previous resident. This even includes repainting, re-carpeting, and new décor. It is an overwhelming effort and very well choreographed.

Considering the public access and tours of the public areas of the White House, it would be hardly conducive for piano practice. It would be like the daughters doing their homework in the East Room.

#2218848 - 01/22/14 02:46 PM Re: What do the President's Children Practice On? [Re: iObsessed]
Minnesota Marty Offline

I just did a little digging.

Here is Margaret Truman seated in front of the family piano in the private residence at the White House. This is the piano loaned by Steinway after one of the legs on the Truman Baldwin broke through the floor prompting the major renovation of the White House. The Baldwin can be seen at the Truman Home in Independence, MO.

Edited by Minnesota Marty (01/22/14 02:58 PM)

#2218873 - 01/22/14 03:11 PM Re: What do the President's Children Practice On? [Re: iObsessed]
bkw58 Offline

Silver Supporter until December 19, 2014

Loc: Conway, AR USA
The Clinton family (Chelsea) used a Baldwin M at the governor's mansion. It is still there. Baldwin donated an artist series grand to the White House during the Clinton years. I cannot recall the exact model. It didn't replace the WH Steinway. I believe it went into or near the living quarters of the House. It should still be there.

#2218907 - 01/22/14 03:46 PM Re: What do the President's Children Practice On? [Re: iObsessed]
Minnesota Marty Offline

Aha - Found it !!!

This is a photo of the "Center Hall" of the private residence of the Obama Family. The photo was taken in 2011.

Malia and Sasha have access to a nice piano for their practice.

It's hard to tell from the photo, but based on what can be seen of the back leg and from the shadows, my guess would be a 'B'.

#2218974 - 01/22/14 04:55 PM Re: What do the President's Children Practice On? [Re: iObsessed]
bkw58 Offline

I think this is it. Baldwin 226 R. On the third floor of the White House residence in the Central Hall. Photos 2008, 2000.

http://www.whitehousemuseum.org/floor3/central-hall/central-hall-2008.jpg

http://www.whitehousemuseum.org/floor3/central-hall/central-hall-c2000.jpg

#2218975 - 01/22/14 04:57 PM Re: What do the President's Children Practice On? [Re: Minnesota Marty]
iObsessed Offline

Thank you Marty! I supply three more photos with the Obamas and that Steinway so that we can better ascertain the model:

Second Image: Obama and Bo in that room.

(For some reason I could not get it to show on this forum in its image form)

Edited by iObsessed (01/22/14 05:01 PM)

#2219053 - 01/22/14 06:56 PM Re: What do the President's Children Practice On? [Re: iObsessed]
Minnesota Marty Offline

This is fun - We're getting to be good detectives.

Truman Quarters - 1948 - This is believed to be the piano which fell through the floor.

Residence Center Hall in 1992

So, it seems that there is a Queen Anne Baldwin in the third floor central hall and a Steinway L or B in the second floor central hall. If that's the case, the daughters each have their own pianos. It's so good for variety.

Notice how the furnishings change, even during the Obama administration.

I was able to get the fun photo to work.

Bo running after his piano teacher.

#2219067 - 01/22/14 07:20 PM Re: What do the President's Children Practice On? [Re: iObsessed]
bkw58 Offline

In going through the WH photos, there appears to be three S&Ss. The one Marty posted, the official White House Steinway (Eagle legs), and one in a hall (I forget the name) where performances and parties are held. Or am I counting one S&S twice? When Van Cliburn performed there, which room was it?

#2219079 - 01/22/14 07:33 PM Re: What do the President's Children Practice On? [Re: bkw58]
iObsessed Offline

Originally Posted By: bkw58
In going through the WH photos, there appears to be three S&Ss. The one Marty posted, the official White House Steinway (Eagle legs), and one in a hall (I forget the name) where performances and parties are held. Or am I counting one S&S twice? When Van Cliburn performed there, which room was it?

When artists perform, Steinway DC dealers (Rockville, Tysons Corner, and Richmond) supply the performance pianos, especially D's. I have played on a Steinway D that from what I was told was in Kennedy Center, and I assume it has also been in the White House. So there are actually just two Steinways, I think. Correct me if I'm wrong.

#2219081 - 01/22/14 07:34 PM Re: What do the President's Children Practice On? [Re: iObsessed]
PhilipInChina Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: China
Are they Hamburg Steinways?

#2219094 - 01/22/14 07:59 PM Re: What do the President's Children Practice On? [Re: PhilipInChina]
Minnesota Marty Offline

Originally Posted By: PhilipInChina
Are they Hamburg Steinways?

Are you kidding !??!

#2219107 - 01/22/14 08:23 PM Re: What do the President's Children Practice On? [Re: iObsessed]
Minnesota Marty Offline

I just sent an email to Mr. William Allman, White House Curator, and asked for an inventory of the pianos kept in the WH. It will be interesting to see if he replies. I also sent the address of this thread.

#2219112 - 01/22/14 08:32 PM Re: What do the President's Children Practice On? [Re: iObsessed]
michaelha Offline
500 Post Club Member

I wonder why they keep the lid down in all the photos.

#2219140 - 01/22/14 09:26 PM Re: What do the President's Children Practice On? [Re: iObsessed]
ctnski Offline

Loc: Jacksonville, FL
Gives 'em some place to set the flowers.

#2219148 - 01/22/14 09:38 PM Re: What do the President's Children Practice On? [Re: iObsessed]
Minnesota Marty Offline

If you look closely, the piano is not used as a floral display unless the room was "fluffed" for a photo shoot. In the photos with the flowers, notice that the music rack is atop the lid. Obviously staged.

It's hard to tell, but in the 'candid' photos there seems to be a stack of music on the side of the music desk.

Now there are some other burning questions. Who is the piano teacher? Who is the tuner/tech?

Inquiring Minds Want to Know!

#2219241 - 01/23/14 02:41 AM Re: What do the President's Children Practice On? [Re: Minnesota Marty]
michaelha Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Minnesota Marty
...In the photos with the flowers, notice that the music rack is atop the lid. Obviously staged.

Not sure, but my piano can do that. You put the lid down but flip open the first section so you can setup the music desk. No?

I guess if you're a high roller and won't cry if you knock over the water filled vase and ruin your Steinway. But for a regular guy like me, the last thing I want to do is put a vase or a lamp on my piano.

#2225222 - 02/03/14 01:22 PM Re: What do the President's Children Practice On? [Re: Minnesota Marty]
bkw58 Offline

I just sent an email to Mr. William Allman, White House Curator, and asked for an inventory of the pianos kept in the WH. It will be interesting to see if he replies. I also sent the address of this thread.

Have you received an acknowledgment?

#2225266 - 02/03/14 03:21 PM Re: What do the President's Children Practice On? [Re: iObsessed]
Minnesota Marty Offline

I haven't received a reply.

(But, the NSA stopped over for tea and jam.)

#2225496 - 02/03/14 11:35 PM Re: What do the President's Children Practice On? [Re: Minnesota Marty]
phrygian Offline

HAHAHAHA!

#2225612 - 02/04/14 06:41 AM Re: What do the President's Children Practice On? [Re: Minnesota Marty]
pianogranny Offline

Loc: Wisconsin
good one!
I haven't received a reply.

Freelance journalist
"Music is what feelings sound like"

1994 Baldwin R

#2225640 - 02/04/14 08:12 AM Re: What do the President's Children Practice On? [Re: michaelha]
malkin Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: *sigh* Salt Lake City
Originally Posted By: michaelh

I guess if you're a high roller and won't cry if you knock over the water filled vase and ruin your Steinway. But for a regular guy like me, the last thing I want to do is put a vase or a lamp on my piano.

Me too. Especially since my cats would have a vase knocked over in about 2 seconds. The only thing on my piano is a cover (and a sometimes a cat).

#2225680 - 02/04/14 09:45 AM Re: What do the President's Children Practice On? [Re: iObsessed]
bkw58 Offline

A little more about the White House Baldwin.

White House Baldwin

#2225694 - 02/04/14 10:11 AM Re: What do the President's Children Practice On? [Re: iObsessed]
Minnesota Marty Offline

I think that a Charles Walter and a Mason & Hamlin should be added to the collection.

Shouldn't the Library of Congress have a Chickering and a Knabe? Vintage, of course. The Great Hall would be a fine location for a chamber music series.

#2225718 - 02/04/14 11:12 AM Re: What do the President's Children Practice On? [Re: bkw58]
phantomFive Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: California

White House Baldwin

"Ultimately, Corporate made the presentation to the Clintons, not of an SD10, but a donated R226; not with equal status to the Steinway, but in a private room in the White House residence."

That's depressing.

#2226212 - 02/05/14 08:54 AM Re: What do the President's Children Practice On? [Re: phantomFive]
bkw58 Offline

Originally Posted By: phantomFive

White House Baldwin

"Ultimately, Corporate made the presentation to the Clintons, not of an SD10, but a donated R226; not with equal status to the Steinway, but in a private room in the White House residence."

That's depressing.

Yes, it was. Nevertheless, Baldwin does have a permanent presence in the WH, albeit not really public. I could not find anything on the presentation via google search. From the one fuzzy photo, it's almost impossible to read the fall board decal. Were it not for the few who remembered the episode, all would be forgotten.

#2226463 - 02/05/14 05:23 PM Re: What do the President's Children Practice On? [Re: iObsessed]
iObsessed Offline

Wow, this thread has been revived (at least for a little while, we'll see how far this goes).

I think that a Charles Walter and a Mason & Hamlin should be added to the collection.

that would be good, but we have to remember that the collection comprises pianos owned by Presidents, and so far it has been Steinways and one or two Baldwins. So far, we have not had any presidents with those two brands. Yes, it would be more symbolic of the American piano industry, but that is not what the collection really wants, IMO.

BTW, Marty, any response?

Edited by iObsessed (02/05/14 05:24 PM)

#2226477 - 02/05/14 05:43 PM Re: What do the President's Children Practice On? [Re: iObsessed]
Minnesota Marty Offline

Hi iObsessed,

About the response from the White House, go back a few postings.

Actually, the pianos which are permanent residents at the WH have never been owned by the Presidents. The Truman Piano, which fell through the floor, is back in Independence and the Trumans received a 'loaner.' The Clinton Baldwin, on the third floor, was a gift to the WH - The American People. Even the "Eagle" Steinway was a gift to the people.

It's not like the WH is cramped for space, and having the current American builders represented would be nice.

I'm not sure that Yamaha should ever again pass through the doors!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Ken Knapp, Piano World, Rickster 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Sax to piano
by JazzMD
Today at 11:06 AM
Still having problems with my Kawai ES7
by musicman100
Today at 10:46 AM
ABF Recital FAQ and Guidelines
by wimpiano
Today at 10:03 AM
Did Bach’s wife write his finest works?
by CarlosCC
Today at 09:24 AM
Szanto Bach Prelude Fugue A minor
by bkthugs10214
Today at 09:13 AM
Who's Online
138 registered (ajames, Amo la musica, 0987654321, Alan_Dublin, 41 invisible), 1690 Guests and 16 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76702 Members
42 Forums
158617 Topics
2329577 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission