2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
63 members (accordeur, antune, anotherscott, AndyOnThePiano2, benkeys, brennbaer, APianistHasNoName, 11 invisible), 1,875 guests, and 348 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
OP Offline
S
I can't find anything about this digital piano online. There's one for sale locally for £100.

There's also a Technics SX-PR602 local that will probably be around the same price.

Does anyone have any information on the Samick? Or which of the two would be a better buy?

Thanks!

Last edited by StringsOnFire; 02/04/14 06:33 PM.
Do you really want to buy a 15 year old Technics SX-PR602? If you are not a vintage fan, I guess it is more a funkiller than helpfull.

Roland HP504
S
OP Offline
S
They're that old?!

I'm on a budget, the cheaper the better but I can stretch to about £300.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yes, I would recommend avoiding both models. Technics digital pianos were highly regarded years ago, but I doubt even the highest specification models from 10+ years ago can compete with the entry level instruments of today. At least, not in terms of the core keyboard action and piano sound technologies.

My recommendation would be to save for a little longer and purchase a Casio PX-150. Alternatively, you may be able to find a second-hand Casio PX-130 for £300 or so, if you're lucky.

Kind regards,
James
x

Last edited by Kawai James; 02/04/14 09:27 PM. Reason: Clarified comment about 10+ year old keyboard/sound technology.

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
S
OP Offline
S
A little out of my price range, I can't see a new PX-150 with stand/pedals for under £500!

S
S
The Technics is far superior to the Symphonia. If you can, keep looking.

Representing Shigeru Kawai, Kawai, Hailun, Pearl River, Kawai Digital Pianos, Samick Digitals, Roland Digitals, & Lowrey Organs
St. Louis Metro Area
www.lacefieldmusic.com
find us on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/lacefieldmusic
S
OP Offline
S
Are there any particular models to look out for, used and within my budget? Thanks

I would stick with the Casio Privia models produced within the past 4 years or so.

However, checking Amazon UK, the Casio CDP-120 is available for just under £300. This is very much an entry-level instrument, with lower specifications than the PX-150. However, it's brand new, has 88 keys, and is within your budget.

Kind regards,
James
x

C
C
Originally Posted by Kawai James
Yes, I would recommend avoiding both models. Technics digital pianos were highly regarded years ago, but I doubt even the highest specification models from 10+ years ago can compete with the entry level instruments of today.
x

I disagree with that statement. I still use my 10 year old Technics and while I am currently looking to upgrade to a better DP, there is no way any recent entry model (or atleast one priced at 100 pounds) will be better than the Technics. When I went to try out a few DPs recently, I remember being underwhelmed by the action of many entry to mid range level pianos.

I wouldn't recommend them to OP is he is an advanced player, but if he's a beginner, for 100 pounds that Technics seems like a good deal if its in good condition.

CountSmith, in hindsight, I am actually inclined to agree with you. At £100 or so, the Technics is a considerable instrument for the price, with lots of sounds, features, and a nice big LCD display. Of course, this assumes that everything is still in good working order, of course.

However, I maintain that - at least in terms of keyboard action and sound technology - a modern day entry-level Casio Privia features superior technology to that of a 10~15 year old flagship Technics... and this is coming from someone who spent a lot of time playing Technics keyboards and DPs in his childhood.

Kind regards,
James
x

C
C
Originally Posted by Kawai James
CountSmith, in hindsight, I am actually inclined to agree with you. At £100 or so, the Technics is a considerable instrument for the price, with lots of sounds, features, and a nice big LCD display. Of course, this assumes that everything is still in good working order, of course.

However, I maintain that - at least in terms of keyboard action and sound technology - a modern day entry-level Casio Privia features superior technology to that of a 10~15 year old flagship Technics... and this is coming from someone who spent a lot of time playing Technics keyboards and DPs in his childhood.

Kind regards,
James
x

Well I'll admit I'm biased towards my Technics since it too was my childhood DP . It served me well as a beginner. However, in terms of action and piano sound, I honestly feel that I wouldn't be getting my money's worth by upgrading to a newer DP unless I consider the higher end Kawai, Roland or Yamaha models.

Maybe this video helps to get a first impression: http://bit.ly/1ir1SKQ

Roland HP504
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
The voices sound a bit dated, but in many ways an impressive piano. The second video in that link from Hanseat, was from someone from Norway, selling his Technics SX. He priced it at 4000 norska kroner, about £400. I checked the advertisment on finn.no and it was listed as sold.

I wonder what he got for it, probably not 4000 NOK, but in comparison, £100 is a steal for this thing, provided it's in decent condition.

Me on YouTube

Casio PX-5S. Garritan CFX, Production Grand 2 Gold, Concert Grand LE, AcousticSamples C7, some Sampletekks. Pianoteq 8 Std (Blüthner, SteinGraeber, NY/HB Steinway D).
S
OP Offline
S
What about a Casio PX-850, new, £550?

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I think you'd be happy with a Casio PX-850. I have the PX-5S, which is a stage piano, pretty much built on the PX-350, but with some enhancements. The latest Privias are pretty good, better than the older Casio models.

PX-850 is good for those who want the feeling of an acoustic piano, with it's nice cabinet and a lid that, by opening it, resembles an acoustic piano, at least that's what they say. I've not played it (think I briefly touched one when I was doing my shopping) so I can't speak about it from experience.

I wanted the socalled bells and whistles, that is extra sounds and tweaking possibilities, so I preferred the PX-5S. Then the portability was very important to me, with the PX-850, you're advised not to take it apart once it has been assembled. So it's not a good choice for those who move often.

Last edited by TheodorN; 02/05/14 10:29 AM.

Me on YouTube

Casio PX-5S. Garritan CFX, Production Grand 2 Gold, Concert Grand LE, AcousticSamples C7, some Sampletekks. Pianoteq 8 Std (Blüthner, SteinGraeber, NY/HB Steinway D).
S
OP Offline
S
The cheapest I could get the PX-850 for was £650 post-cashback in the end, didn't quite seem worth it.

Thanks for the advice - after a month of constant looking about, I picked up an immaculate second hand Casio AP-245 for £250, hardly touched! Very happy, and probably a better choice than spending that sort of money on a top of the range, 10 year old model!

Last edited by StringsOnFire; 03/17/14 01:44 PM.
K
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
K
Wow you bought the piano for 50% of it's price.
Probably the best buy ever on that forum, regarding price/quality smile

Congrats and be happy, give us the photos and videos when you receive it smile

S
OP Offline
S
I have a talent for finding bargains...

After a bit of a fight to make it fit in the car (separated the top from the base) and much rearranging of furniture to fit it in our flat, here it is! 6 months old, hardly used, original paperwork and everything!

[Linked Image]

And thanks smile

Last edited by StringsOnFire; 03/17/14 02:39 PM.
E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
Wow. I never knew those cheapo Casios came with such a big screen!

K
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
K
why do you have a pink bin for the used clothes? grin

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,223
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission