2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
46 members (1200s, clothearednincompo, akse0435, busa, Doug M., 36251, Davidnewmind, Dfrankjazz, brdwyguy, 6 invisible), 1,180 guests, and 260 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 12 1 2 3 4 11 12
A
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by fizikisto
I recently had a chance to compare a korg SP250 and SP280 side by side in a shop. I was stunned at how horrible the action felt on the SP280. The older SP250 had a much better feel. Why would korg downgrade the action so terribly? I mean of all the places to pinch pennies, that's just about the worst choice they could make.

Originally Posted by Blitzn
Fizikisto - The SP280 I tried was so terrible that I thought the display model must have been broken. I only later learned that they downgraded the action - I can't understand their logic on this one.

It might be that they could not profitably sell a model with RH3 at the desired price point.

See http://forums.musicplayer.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/2567780/2/Jerry_the_K_Mike_Martin_keyboa
and look for the posts by jerrythek and The Piano Man.

M
M
I've been noticing alot of people are leaning toward the kawai es100 over yamaha. One question, would you purchase a Yamaha p155 (I know they have been replaced with the 255), if you had a Chance to? This will be my first digital piano.

L
L
Originally Posted by Mac2010
I've been noticing alot of people are leaning toward the kawai es100 over yamaha. One question, would you purchase a Yamaha p155 (I know they have been replaced with the 255), if you had a Chance to? This will be my first digital piano.

I bought a P155 last month and I love it. I never found a store to test the Kawai ES100, so I ended up going with the Yamaha. I really enjoy it, I play it a few hours every day. I would not hesitate to buy it again. I actually prefer the sound of it over the P255.

I was looking to get back into playing again a couple of months ago since I took about 5 years of lessons when I was a kid. I initially bought the Yamaha NP11 in December, but quickly found out that was a bad mistake as the piano sound was terrible (like a toy), the keys were unweighted, and I couldn't learn some songs I wanted because there weren't enough keys! I did a little research and then bought the Yamaha P105. Well it wasn't bad but I was not quite satisfied. The sound wasn't everything I hoped for and the bass notes did seem overpowering. I did some more research and listened to hours and hours of youtube videos and posted on this forum. I returned the P105 after 1 week and bought the P155.

Again, I never tested the ES100 but I absolutely love my P155 and have no regrets buying it.

S
S
While this thread has not been active for quite some time, I could't help commenting because recently I've been shopping for a new digital piao to replace my Yamaha P-155.

After reading many reviews on this site and others, I've decided on getting on the Kawai ES100. It seems odd because, price point-wise, it seems like a step down.

But my biggest hang-up with the p-155 has been the action. While I have never had a problem actually playing it, most times I switch over to an acoustic, it seems I have to readjust because the action on the p-155 seems a tad heavy.

While, even though I live in L.A and can't find a Kawai ES100 to test out, I'm convinced that switching to the ES100 will be a step up for me, in terms of my needs.

I did consider the Kawai ES7 and the Roland F130R for awhile, but I don't need all the bells and whistles.

That said, I think the p-155 is great people with great sound. And I 100% agree that the P-105 (which I also previously owned) was really boomy on the lower keys).

But action, as subjective as it is, is not to my liking and I'm looking forward to my new relationship with the ES100.

Roland F-130R
Formerly: Yamaha P-155 | Casio CDP-120 | Yamaha P-105 | Williams Allegro (had it for two weeks)
T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by Sushi Hammer
...... my biggest hang-up with the p-155 has been the action. While I have never had a problem actually playing it, most times I switch over to an acoustic, it seems I have to readjust because the action on the p-155 seems a tad heavy.

While, even though I live in L.A and can't find a Kawai ES100 to test out, I'm convinced that switching to the ES100 will be a step up for me, in terms of my needs.

I did consider the Kawai ES7 and the Roland F130R for awhile, but I don't need all the bells and whistles.

That said, I think the p-155 is great people with great sound. And I 100% agree that the P-105 (which I also previously owned) was really boomy on the lower keys).

But action, as subjective as it is, is not to my liking and I'm looking forward to my new relationship with the ES100.

But are you sure the ES100 will be less heavy than your Yamaha GH action? I may be wrong, but I thought Kawai's RH (on the MP6) to be heavier, if anything, than Yamaha GH. I know that the ES100 has an older action, called AHA IV-F which could be substantially different from RH, or not.

On the other hand, the action on the Kawai ES7, (RHII) is really nice, as is their pro-end GF action smile

Roland HP 302 / Samson Graphite 49 / Akai EWI

Reaper / Native Instruments K9 ult / ESQL MOR2 Symph Orchestra & Choirs / Lucato & Parravicini , trumpets & saxes / Garritan CFX lite / Production Voices C7 & Steinway D compact

Focusrite Saffire 24 / W7, i7 4770, 16GB / MXL V67g / Yamaha HS7s / HD598
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
You'd be far happier with the es7.IMO. It's one of the few pianos l'd consider swapping mine for.

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
S
S
Hard to say for sure, since nobody in town has a ES100 for me to play around with. I'm just going by Tim's review at AZPianoNews. I realize that not everybody agrees with his opinions, but after spending many hours reading other peoples' impressions, it seems a good bet that the action of the Kawai is what I'm looking for.

If I'm wrong -- hey I still wind up with a great keyboard.

Roland F-130R
Formerly: Yamaha P-155 | Casio CDP-120 | Yamaha P-105 | Williams Allegro (had it for two weeks)
M
M
I have not played the ES7 or the ES100, so I cannot comment on the feel. However, you said something here that I'd like to address:

A lot of people say the same thing: they don't need all the other stuff, just a great action and sound. However, DPs are built to meet the desires of as wide a client base as possible. So with those people that are more demanding of the action and sound, they also may be more of a professional and thus do need the "bells and whistles" (really, what DP comes with these two sounds in particular, I have no idea :P ). At any rate, when you move up in price point, you will get a lot of what you may not need, but you also get the better action and sound that will not be found on lesser-priced models.

So yes, you end up paying for features you may never use, but it's unavoidable except in certain cases like the Kawai VPC1 which is as bare-bones as you can get and for a very specific market. So the only solutions are: go with a used DP so you spend less but get a couple years old top of the line model, bite the bullet and get the action and sound and then use as much of the other features to make yourself feel better about the cost if you have to, or compromise on your desires for a great action and sound.

Considering that your biggest gripe with the P155 was the action, I'd think long and hard about buying a DP without testing the action first. Only you can determine if the ES100 will be an improvement, or if you need to look at the ES7 and other models.

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
S
S
Yes -- in fact, I recently made friend over at Kawai and he says without a doubt, I would have zero regrets about spending a few more bucks on the ES7.

I was, in fact, very close to deciding in favor of the ES7, until I thought about the insanity of plunking down $2500 for something I can't try in person.

Hopefully, Kawai broadens their dealer network for digitals.

Roland F-130R
T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
That's a very well said general statement from Morodiene: the quality of digital pianos dramatically increases in basic qualities: piano sound and touch, as you go from basic/ budget models, up to the mid-range models. I believe most people on this site would consider the mid- and mid-high range to give the best satisfaction, quality and value for money in digital pianos.

Also, I would add that the common practice of almost denigrating 'bells and whistles' by new buyers may be a little misplaced. You might really benefit from well designed and implemented sounds, recording facilities, improved amplifiers and speakers and more professional interface options. These are, I take it, the famous 'bells & whistles' of which are so often spoken....

Last edited by toddy; 08/06/14 02:37 PM.

Roland HP 302 / Samson Graphite 49 / Akai EWI

Reaper / Native Instruments K9 ult / ESQL MOR2 Symph Orchestra & Choirs / Lucato & Parravicini , trumpets & saxes / Garritan CFX lite / Production Voices C7 & Steinway D compact

Focusrite Saffire 24 / W7, i7 4770, 16GB / MXL V67g / Yamaha HS7s / HD598
M
M
Originally Posted by toddy

Also, I would add that the common practice of almost denigrating 'bells and whistles' by new buyers may be a little misplaced. You might really benefit from well designed and implemented sounds, recording facilities, improved amplifiers and speakers and more professional interface options. These are, I take it, the famous 'bells & whistles' of which are so often spoken....
Likewise a good point! You may never think you'll use or need something, but once you do, you may think why you didn't try it sooner.

Recording oneself can be extremely helpful in assessing how you sound as well as help prepare for a performance, share your love of music with others, learning to play with others by playing along with the accompaniments, or try your hand at composing/arranging. Having better speakers or connectivity with other equipment is another one of those hidden features that can make one's life much easier.

Until the time at which modular DPs can be purchased and you can add features a la carte, it's best to look at the DPs that have what you want, rather than focus on what they have that you don't want (or don't think you want/need). smile

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
S
S
Thanks for the advice. What I do have available for testing are lots of other pianos and DPs I come across. Recently, on vacation I had the opportunity play a couple grands.

In traveling, I also spend time in Guitar Centers, Sam Ash's whenever I get a chance which gives me the chance to play Yamaha keyboards and keyboards of other brands.

So given that, I've formulated a general impression of Yamahas vs. other keyboards -- and that's what led me to consider the Roland's and Kawai's.

It's a bit of gamble, but I've tried as much as possible to stack the odds in my favor.

Last edited by Sushi Hammer; 08/06/14 02:43 PM.

Roland F-130R
S
S
The reason why I know the "bells and whistles" are not a big issue for me is that, I barely touch any of them on my P-155. eek

In fact, I spend about 99% of the time on "Grand Piano" and "Rhodes."

Roland F-130R
S
S
Initially, I was concerned about getting something that is generally considered an entry level DP -- but after actually exchanging messages with highly experience players, as well as folks who use the ES100 for gigs (with amp of course), I gained confidence in this decision.

When I get my hands on it -- I'll let you guys know the outcome.

Roland F-130R
I will confirm you one thing, the Kawai ES100 for sure have less heavier keys than Yamaha's GH. Some people actually prefer it heavy.

ES100 keys are not light nor heavy. I find it maybe slightly light, but very little. So in regard on low price and get lighter keys than the Yamaha P155, is good choice.

Going step up like Kawai ES7 would be better of course, not for bell and whistles, but because have better sound and key action. Although I would try it first because as far I hear Kawai ES7 have a bit heavier keys than Kawai ES100.

So, good choice. I think you should be happy with it, from what you tell us.

PS: If you get your ES100 and a USB to midi cable to connect to your computer, let me know so you can help me with some test I always wanted, but noone help me so far.

Long time piano player, with 7 years experience working in restaurants and doing gigs in random places.

My project: Comparison of Portable Digital Pianos under 1000 US$

Owner of Kawai ES100
S
S
Thank you Dan for your awesome insights. Indeed, your project, "Comparison of Portable Digital Pianos under 1000 US$" was one of the factors that led me to settle with the ES100.

Aside from other sources, I also heard back from another owner of the ES100 who replied to my questions in Amazon Answers and said:

"I've played piano for 10+ years and I am very much pleased with this keyboard. As far as the "fullness" produced by the speakers - The warmth and color doesn't sound fake and cheap like other keyboards. When compared to my 6 foot grand Kawai, this keyboard has the best possible fullness that a keyboard can offer. I have 2 Yamaha Clavinova electric pianos and to be honest, I prefer the ambiance produced by my Kawai keyboard much better. Also, the keyboard's action is almost the same as the grand. Awesome product!"

So, I'm going Wow -- how can this be possible on such an inexpensive keyboard? But I keep hearing the same comments over and over again.

Roland F-130R
M
M
Sushi: I purchased my Kawai MP11 somewhat blind as well, as I didn't have a dealer that carried it. I just understood the return policy with the vendor if I needed to do it, but I was pretty sure it was right for me. It sounds like you may be like this as well. I don't recommend buying blind, but if you understand what you're getting into and know how to return it if need be, then by all means, go for it! smile

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Online Content
Good morning Sushi Hammer,

Originally Posted by Sushi Hammer
I was, in fact, very close to deciding in favor of the ES7, until I thought about the insanity of plunking down $2500 for something I can't try in person.

Please note that the ES7 retails for $1999.

Please use the dealer locator on the KawaiUS.com website to find Kawai dealers in your area. You may also wish to visit some of the pro-oriented stores, such as ER Piano/Music Gallery on West Olympic Blvd, or Pierre's Fine Pianos on West Pico Blvd. As always, remember to call ahead before you set-off to check that the store has the piano in stock and ready to play-test.

Finally, you can also call Kawai America (based in Rancho Dominguez, LA) directly to enquire into stores that carry the instruments you are consider.

I hope this helps.

Kind regards,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
A
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by toddy
But are you sure the ES100 will be less heavy than your Yamaha GH action? I may be wrong, but I thought Kawai's RH (on the MP6) to be heavier, if anything, than Yamaha GH. I know that the ES100 has an older action, called AHA IV-F which could be substantially different from RH, or not.

FWIW, I found the P155 and MP6 to have roughly comparably heavy actions, and the ES100 to be lighter. I actually like the ES100 action best of the three.

S
S
I guess that's reality of this era.

In my business, my closest business partners and friends are people I've never met face to face. Yet, we do joint ventures on a regular basis.

In the realm of digital pianos, I'm leaning on the opinions of people I've never met, yet whom I feel are trustworthy. Nothing wrong with that. I've bought a ton of expensive stuff from Amazon on the basis of that.

Roland F-130R
Page 2 of 12 1 2 3 4 11 12

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,185
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission