2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
59 members (Aleks_MG, accordeur, brdwyguy, Carey, AlkansBookcase, 20/20 Vision, Charles Cohen, 36251, benkeys, 6 invisible), 1,935 guests, and 310 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
1000 Post Club Member
OP Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
Evans Bros Ingersoll Ontario.

#9936 1909 according to the atlas.

Moved once about 10 years ago, from the house it was in when originally bought.

Completely original. A few bridle straps falling apart. Some wear to indicate the piano was played a lot for about 20 years somewhere in it's history.

3/4 plate open face pin block.

Very little dust and debris inside, leading me to believe the people were hypochondriacs or someone cleaned it, a tuner, 30 years ago?

Well it was a major third flat. C4 was G#3. That is 400 cents flat I believe.

I have never seen anything like it in my life. 28 years of piano tuner tech and technician and 40 of piano playing.

So I set tunelab on pitch raise. The poor machine could not figure anything out. It listens to partials, and if they are that way off, it does not even know where it is.

So... I took out my fork. Estimated about 20 cents above it. and tuned all the As

From there I did a rough pitch raise just using intervals.

At this point I was still about 20 cents flat overall.

I then used tunelab using the pitch raise (it was still calling me to over pull by anything between 7 and 10 cents) being extra careful to have nice unisons, even though they beat wildly with the previously tuned octaves and other intervals.

The result was a piano at pitch (no broken strings) And I was super happy.

But I still wonder. How did it get that low? 400 cents!!!

I've seen plenty at 150 or even 200 flat. But never 400 on a piano that was properly built, solid, like they made then back then.

Full set of Ivories and only one small chip on C6.

I asked how the piano was being maintained, and the owner told me not since 30 years.

It really is a mystery. The pin block is right in your face, not separated from the sides, perfect condition. Dirt on the strings, no rust. A few very insignificant cracks in the soundboard, bridges built to last.

I guess I must have a preconceived notion that pianos left to themselves in ideal conditions will only go flat by about 200 cents.

Anyways. They don't build pianos like that anymore, and given my reliance on tunelab for this job, I probably ended up with reverse well.

Last edited by accordeur; 02/03/14 11:40 PM. Reason: clarity and missing words

Jean Poulin

Musician, Tuner and Technician

www.actionpiano.ca
B
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
B
1/2 step flat, give or take.

1000 Post Club Member
OP Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
So 100 cents.

While I was going at it, I seriously considered that some tuner had done it purposely.

It felt like I was restringing a piano.

Jean Poulin

Musician, Tuner and Technician

www.actionpiano.ca
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Yes, several whole tones flat. It happens. Chip tuning first, followed by pitch raise...

JG
O
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
O
Wow. The worst I've ever done was ~150 cents flat.

Happiness is a freshly tuned piano.
Jim Boydston, proprietor, No Piano Left Behind - technician
www.facebook.com/NoPianoLeftBehind
A
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
A
I did a pitch raise on a family friend's old clunker. It was over 400 cents flat. It was so old and brittle, I didn't dare raise it to A440. I ended up tuning it one semitone down, which turned out ok because the guy who lived there liked to tune his guitars down a semitone too! Made jam sessions easy!

P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
Half an octave in the treble, about 400 cents in the bass, your guess is as good as mine in the treble. Blind chip raise to begin with. It was like I'd just installed the strings! It was a 125 year old pub piano, had probably sat in the corner of that pub during every change of landlord for the last half century without being tuned.

H
H
HYPOCHONDRIACS!!! LOL!!!

HW

"Respond intelligently, even to unintelligent treatment."
-Lao Tzu
C
C
I once raised a harpsichord up an octave. Some idiot tuner thought the 4 foot stop was supposed to speak at the same pitch as the 8 foot stop.

Chris Storch
Acoustician / Piano Technician
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
300 cents for me. It was a huge old Whitney upright. I've had others at 200 cents, too.

I have noticed that old pianos that need a gignormous pitch raise work out very well. I think the strings have more elasticity due to not having been at tension. They tune like a much younger piano. They don't have that dry, brittle, touchy feel to them.

Jeff Deutschle
Part-Time Tuner
Who taught the first chicken how to peck?
B
B
About a minor third, or 300 cents, is the worst I've seen. It was a spinet, but I don't even remember the make. Unmaintained for no-one-knew-how-many years. But that was definitely unusual. I've run into several other 100-150 cent pitch raise jobs, but I'd have to agree that it takes something special for them to get worse than that.

Maybe pianos in drier/colder climates are more likely to continue going flat instead of eventually leveling out? Or maybe it has to do with pianos that were put in storage at one point in their life. Or maybe it has to do with the manufacturing of the pinblock. Or maybe it's just completely random . . .

Last edited by BenP; 02/04/14 09:55 AM.

Ben Patterson, RPT
South Jersey Piano Service, LLC
www.sjpianoservice.com
I think the biggest pitch raise I have done was a little more than 200 cents flat. That was an interesting day. No broken strings though!

Lucas Brookins, RPT
R
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
R
The piano was a small Hamilton grand. When I walked in the house, the customer, who was in his 90's, proudly stated that the piano had been sitting in that same spot since it was purchased new in 1948. I asked him when it had been tuned last, and he replied "Never". It was a couple whole tones flat.

Roy Peters, RPT
Cincinnati, Ohio
www.cincypiano.com
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I had an old upright once that was about the same as yours. When I encounter a piano that is more than 100 cents off, instead of trying to overpull with Tunelab, I will pull it up to A-440 first and then on the next pass have Tunelab overpull it. I see where all the A's are to get an idea of where the pitch is generally sitting. I then start at the break and tune to the top and then from the break down to the bottom. I've had pretty good success with this method. On most pianos, when I come back to them next year or six months are very close to where I left them. I don't know if this is the best procedure or not. I would be interested to see what others think.

Ryan G. Hassell
Hassell's Piano Tuning
Farmington, MO
www.hassellspianotuning.com
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Hassells-Piano-Tuning/163155880804
ryanhassell@hotmail.com
D
Gold Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
D
A major third - 400 cents - is the most I've done. I've come across pianos lower, but not of a quality or state to justify attempting to tune them.

R
rXd Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
R
I read in an old, old book to start a big pitch raise at the lowest note and work upwards to the highest note.

I last did a pitch raise of this nature 4-5 years ago on an old player while the player techs had the action out.

If it is a half step flat, simply tune the A0 to the A#0 continuing up without wedges, exaggerating a bit by judgement if the treble is even flatter, (it usually is in these cases.

I always pull a pitch raise to 442 so that there's no more pitch raising on subsequent tunings, therefore building stability. Just like a new piano.

Similarly if it's a whole step, tune A to B, B to C# etc. you can expect to tune at teast three times and a return visit although I have often been amazed at the stability a month later. Of course, for a minor third, tuneA to C. Etc.

Starting at the bottom is supposed to be safer and better for stability. Our piano construction experts can answer that one for us.

I would not overpull a piano much above 444, particularly an old one. I would rather do a couple more rough tunings.

Some do silent tunings, using one hand on the tuning tip and the other on the handle for speed between pin changes. An experienced tuner knows how much to pull.

Amanda Reckonwith
Concert & Recording tuner-tech, London, England.
"in theory, practice and theory are the same thing. In practice, they're not." - Lawrence P. 'Yogi' Berra.

P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
Great information on this thread, thank you
everyone.

I may be tuning a piano that hasn't been tuned in 8
years, so some of this info could be useful.

Like some other people, I charge extra money if
the piano is more than 10 cents out of tune, but
really, aren't most of the tuning jobs out there
on pianos that need a pitch raise? That's been
my case so far....but I'm still green at this...and
I don't have regular customers yet....

D
Gold Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
D
I read in an old, old book to start a big pitch raise at the lowest note and work upwards to the highest note.

rxd, what was the old old book?

Silver Supporter until December 19, 2014
2000 Post Club Member

Silver Supporter until December 19, 2014
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by rxd

I would not overpull a piano much above 444, particularly an old one. I would rather do a couple more rough tunings.

Most wise especially considering the condition of the bridges in these old instruments. The shock of too much overpull can be damaging.

Bob W.
Piano Technician (Retired since 2006)
Conway, Arkansas
www.pianotechno.blogspot.com
R
rXd Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
R
I wish I could remember those old books, David, I wish I could.

The Henry Watson music library in Manchester had archives on piano technology. A great resource from the heyday of piano manufacturing. I used it in the '60's. Last time I visited, Nothing seemed to remain of it.

There was also a piano store I worked for there that had a Dickensian back room full of old copies of "the pianomaker" from the early 1900's that I used to borrow and devour. All gone now.

Amanda Reckonwith
Concert & Recording tuner-tech, London, England.
"in theory, practice and theory are the same thing. In practice, they're not." - Lawrence P. 'Yogi' Berra.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,293
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission