2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
41 members (busa, clothearednincompo, Doug M., 36251, Davidnewmind, Dfrankjazz, brdwyguy, benkeys, Burkhard, 5 invisible), 1,125 guests, and 256 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
J
OP Offline
J
Guys, I just came across this on my piano, it looks like both sides of the stretcher are separating from the body of the piano, I gently pulled on it but it feels tight, is this something I should be
concerned about? I'm honestly kind of freaking out and don't really know what to do, I need some advice, is the stretcher more of a cosmetic purpose than structural or am I in serious trouble here?
[img:center]http://s1257.photobucket.com/user/jorgeandrade20/media/20140203_120826.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0[/img]

[img:center]http://s1257.photobucket.com/user/jorgeandrade20/media/20140203_120749.jpg.html?sort=3&o=1[/img]

If the images above don't show up right they're located at:
http://s1257.photobucket.com/user/jorgeandrade20/library/

E
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
E
The pictures and/or my eyesight is unable to provide enough detail to see what the complete condition is that you are concerned about.

It might be that the finish is only cracking and/or it might be movement in the wood. If the piano was just moved and the cracks appeared immediately upon delivery-then maybe it was handled roughly.

In a seemingly infinite universe-infinite human creativity is-seemingly possible.
According to NASA, 93% of the earth like planets possible in the known universe have yet to be formed.
J
OP Offline
J
I apologize, it's more likely my pictures than your eyesight to blame here, but anyhow, the stretcher has separated from the body of the piano, it's more noticeable on the right side but both sides did it, you mentioned movement of the wood, most likely the change in humidity I think, the piano hasn't been moved in almost 2 years, I live in Las Vegas so I have a room humidifier but it's really really really hard to keep the humidity above 40%, sometimes it fluctuates between 35 and 50, so that could have done it, but I'm really worried that this separation of the stretcher might cause somethng else to fail, if you look closely there's a line right under the gap, taht's a crack that developed on both sides, I really don't know what's going on, but at this point I don't know what to do.

D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
Jorge,

it is a bit difficult to tell what exactly we are looking at. Maybe a picture from a bit more distance would give some perspective that might help. Show a bit more of the piano structure?

I know from past posts that the piano started life in Georgia and certainly Las Vegas is a major departure from that climate. (Assuming it to be the Bosy)

Last edited by Dale Fox; 02/04/14 02:51 AM.

Dale Fox
Registered Piano Technician
Remanufacturing/Rebuilding
A
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
A
What is a "stretcher"?

C
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
C
The stretcher is the case part, on a grand, that runs in front of the pin block and plate, from inner case to inner case; often holding part of the lock.

Craig Hair
Hampshire Piano
Chesterfield, MA
Conservative Piano Restoration
Watch us on YouTube

I've learned better than to shout,"Eureka!"
A
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by Craig Hair
The stretcher is the case part, on a grand, that runs in front of the pin block and plate, from inner case to inner case; often holding part of the lock.

Ah, thanks Craig. I've seen that part, but never knew the name for it.

J
OP Offline
J
Hi Dale, how have you been? It's still the same Bosie, I've uploaded a few more pictures to the album, can you guys please take a look and let me know what you think?

H
H
You haven't mentioned yet but I figured that this particular problem you are having has not affected the sound or the playing in any shape or form, correct?

Where is Oleg when we need him???

HW

"Respond intelligently, even to unintelligent treatment."
-Lao Tzu
J
OP Offline
J
I don't believe it has, or at least I haven't noticed a difference in the sound or the playing, my real worry is that, this piano being older is not like the newer ones where the stretcher is merely a plank of wood, on mine there's an oval design and the treble section is very wide so there's a big portion covering the pinblock, if the pinblock is attached to it I dont' want all this "movement" to affect it.

O
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
O
From what I can tell, it looks like a significant separation.

Last edited by OperaTenor; 02/04/14 05:37 PM.

Happiness is a freshly tuned piano.
Jim Boydston, proprietor, No Piano Left Behind - technician
www.facebook.com/NoPianoLeftBehind
B
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
It is not going to affect the playability of the piano, nor any of the rest of the structure. Other pianos are made with removable stretchers. Fill it up and touch up the finish over it.

Semipro Tech
D
Del Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Jorge Andrade
Guys, I just came across this on my piano, it looks like both sides of the stretcher are separating from the body of the piano, I gently pulled on it but it feels tight, is this something I should be concerned about? I'm honestly kind of freaking out and don't really know what to do, I need some advice, is the stretcher more of a cosmetic purpose than structural or am I in serious trouble here?

It's difficult to tell from your pictures. Or from any pictures, for that. It is probably more cosmetic than structural but I'd suggest you have a competent piano technician look at it.

If you in Las Vegas you might call David Chadwick. I don't know him all that well personally but at the PTG convention held there a couple of years ago he did some work for a company I was consulting with and he did very good work. And he did it without complaining about the poor working conditions -- quite rare, indeed.

ddf

Last edited by Del; 02/04/14 08:22 PM.

Delwin D Fandrich
Piano Research, Design & Manufacturing Consultant
ddfandrich@gmail.com
(To contact me privately please use this e-mail address.)

Stupidity is a rare condition, ignorance is a common choice. --Anon
E
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
E
Steinway NY calls it the "cornice".

In a seemingly infinite universe-infinite human creativity is-seemingly possible.
According to NASA, 93% of the earth like planets possible in the known universe have yet to be formed.
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member

Moving this instrument from Georgia to Vegas is an interesting study in wooden frame structures and how they react to moisture retention and release.

After viewing the photos a separation in that area of the instrument would not be my primary concern; I would be looking in far more important places for that kind of thing. Not attempting to alarm the OP but pianos have a lot of important joints to inspect if this kind of moisture- loss- activated separations are appearing.

J
OP Offline
J
Thank you all for your input, it has definitely been very challenging to try and keep this piano up, I have a room humidifier installed, however, the thing works non-stop 24 hours to try and keep it at 45-50%, most of the time it fluctuates between 35-50% (during the winter time - summer time I'm lucky if I get 30% because of the AC) which I think it's causing more harm than good, I'm almost tempted to just fill the room with pots and plants instead, the noise of the humidifier drives everyone crazy and honestly I don't think it's doing the piano any good, the crack on the soundboard still opened up more and now I have little cracks on the finish and this separation on the stretcher, it's been 2 years now you'd think the piano would be done acclimatizing but that seems not to be the case, the piano is in the front room and the open layout of my house probably doesn't help either but there's nothing I can do about that, well, I guess I'll just enjoy this instrument till it is no more.

J
OP Offline
J
Funny you'd mention that, I had a fine furniture restorer come by and check out the piano to give me a quote on refinishing it and he said the same thing, the piano started in New Jersey, then moved to Georgia, then Las Vegas, this piano has covered some miles!

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member

Flowering plants, boiling pots of water, (with spuds, or not) hanging wet clothing on a rack to dry in that room will all help.

Reads like the humidifier is too small for the room, if it is running continuously. Maybe the room door is being left open and the humidifier is struggling to moderate the air flow to other places.

Moderated by  Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,185
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission