2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
24 members (johnesp, clothearednincompo, crab89, JohnCW, Georg Z., Joseph Fleetwood, David B, 8 invisible), 1,265 guests, and 296 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 26 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 25 26
C
C
I agree with you about Pianoteq, though....even though it doesn't sound as 'real' as sampled libraries, as for example my Imperfect Samples library, it doesn't have that frigging annoying 'unevenness' in passage playing. It's really excellent software, the Stage version doesn't cost a lot, and it fits in an incredible 20 mb of space. The best modelling piano software for sure.

I think on the link you provided the fault is called, 'audible velocity layer switch'.

I loathe that one problem. I can live with the sound, within reason. I am not a nitpick and I never use una corda etc, I play mainly music from the classical period and other modern non-classical genres. But that 'audible velocity layer switch' used to drive me crazy. It basically destroys passages where random notes seem to get accents you didn't give. Man I hate that, makes me sound like a noob. I actually have a solid technique (not my words but words of my tutor, who's a really good Japanese concert pianist) , although it will be at least another two years of considerable practice to make me think I am satisfied with my playing. But regardless, the F20 is a breath of fresh air. I really like it and contrary to what I believed, it's worth spending money on a digital piano rather than software.

The resonance and attack on my Imperfect Samples library is really amazing, and in my opinion the most realistic sampled library anywhere, but it doesn't work on classical music, where you have to be precise with the details

Last edited by compianist1; 02/01/14 10:27 AM.
U
U
I own a Casio CDP-120. It has repedalling.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Have you considered renting a real practice piano?

"Forget it, Jake. It's Chinatown."
David Loving, Waxahachie, Texas
M
M
anotherscott where are you? i need your help and all of you wonderful people on this forum. i would like to know which of this two yamaha digital pianos has a better piano tone? yamaha np31 or yamaha npv60. please do respond and thank you

C
C
Originally Posted by daviel
Have you considered renting a real practice piano?

No, never did. The thought 'oh man, if I only had a real piano' never crossed my mind

S
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by monkeybusiness
anotherscott where are you? i need your help and all of you wonderful people on this forum. i would like to know which of this two yamaha digital pianos has a better piano tone? yamaha np31 or yamaha npv60. please do respond and thank you

I think the Piaggero series use the same tone generators. The V have far more functions for accompaniment, arpeggios, single finger chords and so on, and also options to connect to a PC/iPad. Neither have hammer action keys so are not really for serious piano players, but useful perhaps for getting into keyboards, and their main benefit is they are lightweight, portable and run on batteries. If you are a budding serious piano player on this budget, look at the Casio's, PX150 and similar, maybe even used PX130.

O
O
Hi folks, sorry if this already has been covered in the thread (just read it through quickly), but has anyone here tried out the privia px150 with vintage D or other software pianos? What's the verdict?

I have a Kawai CS10 at home which I adore to the point of madness, but recently I got a new job which will involve a lot of moving for the next two or three years (doing field work for a doctoral thesis). So I'm considering buying something portable and cheap that I can take with me (that will still feel reasonably good to play), in addition to the CS10 that will cover the home base. I'm wondering if PX150+Vintage D might do the trick.

Schimmel 130 by day, Roland FP-30X & Sennheiser 800s by night
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Somebody on Adult Beginners used one on a Mendelssohn recital. Sounded wonderful. I`ll try and fish it out . . .

Here is one of quite a few . . PX150 and Vintage D comin` up, SIR!!!!!!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCT5GfpMryY&list=PLFqE-iKuazj5HCYWkqlncU44MXiYRPYIv&index=12

Last edited by peterws; 02/05/14 08:55 AM.

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
O
O
Thanks, Peterws! Sounds good indeed:)

Schimmel 130 by day, Roland FP-30X & Sennheiser 800s by night
B
B
I've been on a mission to replace my RD-300SX (I sold it a while back and never got round to buying a new unit).

I was on the verge of going for the Kawai ES7 but then I found out about the ES100 an PX-350. I've played them all this week.

In my opinion the Kawai ES100 is much better in terms of action than the Casio PX-350. The PX-350 also has a very noisy action!

The bells and whistles of the Casio wouldn't be enough to sway me as the touch is paramount for me. I plan to get a sound module if I ever play somewhere.

Both speakers were adequate for home use.

Other pianos I tried:
Korg SP280 - Awful keybed (think mashed potatoes and seaweed)
Korg SP250 - Surprised this felt better as it's an earlier model!

I would take the PX-350 over the two Korg models though.

Kawai ES100
C
C
Dumb question: Does the P35 refer to the P35B or are those two separate pianos. If they are not the same, what is the difference between them?

Edit: Thank you Daniel

Last edited by Cristian88; 02/09/14 12:14 AM.
OP Offline
The last letter is color. B for Black, W for White. So all of those are the same internally. Same thing for other brands like Casio (example PX-150B, PX-150W)

Long time piano player, with 7 years experience working in restaurants and doing gigs in random places.

My project: Comparison of Portable Digital Pianos under 1000 US$

Owner of Kawai ES100
C
C
I would like to know what your guy's thoughts are on a p-155. I was looking at grabbing one for about 899. The p-255 is tempting at a deal for 999. Also a guy down my street is selling a p-95 with a stand and pedal for 400. So basically should i grab a 155,255, MP6, or a FP7

Last edited by connor; 02/11/14 04:46 AM.
P
pwl Offline
Silver Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
P
How/where do you get a P-255 for $999?

C
C
Ebay smile. But honestly i keep reading so many forums that say ones good and then i look and another forum says it not so good. I have literally read about 10 positive and ten negative reviews comparing the 155,mp6, and fp7. Its kind of frustrating to keep getting so many mixed reviews. I am looking for something to resemble the closest to a real piano in terms of 88 fully weighted keys and the hammer action.

Originally Posted by connor
Ebay smile. But honestly i keep reading so many forums that say ones good and then i look and another forum says it not so good. I have literally read about 10 positive and ten negative reviews comparing the 155,mp6, and fp7. Its kind of frustrating to keep getting so many mixed reviews. I am looking for something to resemble the closest to a real piano in terms of 88 fully weighted keys and the hammer action.

How difficult when you don`t have access to play them all! Even when you do, they sound crap because - they need setting up. By the player, not the shop.

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
The only review that matters is YOUR review.
I keep reading so many forums that say ones good and then i look and another forum says it not so good.

Originally Posted by MacMacMac
The only review that matters is YOUR review.
I keep reading so many forums that say ones good and then i look and another forum says it not so good.

And therein lies the rub. There are clearly a whole bunch of people here, myself included, who hound this forum in vain, searching for definitive answers about which DP will provide the best "piano" experience for a certain amount of money. But of course, the critical subjective component cannot be disseminated over the internet. So what to do if we don't have physical access to the various models being talked about?

If I were buying a DP today and had a $1000 cap, I would get the Yamaha P155 for sure (or even another P120) because at that price point the hammer action is IMHO quite good. I've never regretted my P120 purchase for even one second.

At under $1000 dollars, I have been able to find locally a Yamaha P80, P105, Casio Privia PX150 and PX350 as well as a 76 key Yamaha Piaggero and a Williams thing. I wouldn't not want to buy any of these, and see them all as a significant step down from what I have. I have no access to Kawai products at all, which is a drag...

Yamaha P120, MO6, Steinberg MR816, Galaxy Vintage D, Komplete 8 & various other VIs, Reaper
C
C
if you had 1000 you would grab a p-155? Over a f-120? or a MP6? or the Fp-7F? You could score a new p-255 for 1,000. Everyone was saying to wait for NAMM and now that it has past i see no one including the newer model products. I mean sure, a lot of us havent gotten to test them out but i see a lot of people reviewing and asking about products they have not actually played on.

Last edited by connor; 02/12/14 02:39 AM.
You could score a new p-255 for 1,000.

Where?

Last edited by Turnabout; 02/12/14 10:44 AM.
Page 8 of 26 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 25 26

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,164
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission