2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
68 members (AlkansBookcase, AndyOnThePiano2, BillS728, 36251, anotherscott, Bellyman, Carey, 12 invisible), 2,122 guests, and 302 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Piano World Founder - Piano Tuner - Pianist
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
From a Facebook post by Robin Spielberg (forums member, professional pianist, recording artist, author http://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/1199046/Robin_Spielberg__pianist/).

I can't believe DANCING WITH THE STARS is getting rid of live music!! Please fill this email box with your support of live music! Candice.A.Ashton@abc.com
From Associated Musicians of Greater New York, Local 802 AFM: "The Federation has now confirmed that after 17 hit seasons with Dancing With The Stars, one of the world's most popular TV programs, the DWTS Big Band has been fired. ABC/Disney says the group, comprised of 28 talented musicians, singers, arrangers and copyists, will be replaced by pre-existing sound recordings and a "small electronic band” to "attract a younger viewer demographic.

We are in contact with ABC/Disney executives in an attempt to stop these unjustifiable and unwarranted actions. You can join with us to push back against this latest attack upon the livelihood and integrity of professional musicians. Please email Candice.A.Ashton@abc.com. Please let her know that you will encourage viewers everywhere to boycott the show, ABC-TV, and The Walt Disney Company if she follows through on her plan to fire the band."

- Frank B.
Original Founder of Piano World
Owner of...
www.PianoSupplies.com
Maine Piano Man

My Keyboards:
Estonia L-190, Roland RD88, Yamaha P-80, Bilhorn Telescope Organ c 1880, Antique Pump Organ, 1850 concertina, 3 other digital pianos
-------------------------
My original piece on BandCamp: https://frankbaxtermrpianoworld.bandcamp.com/releases

Me banging out some tunes in the Estonia piano booth at the NAMM show...

It's Fun To Play the Piano ... PLEASE Pass It On!

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I'm all for keeping live musicians for all musical events. The actress in "One" can's play and the music is easy enough to play - no reason the the producers couldn't find someone who can play. Same holds true for other shows.

Sent an email to 802 asking that they look into this and never recieved an answer, guess it's because I'm not a member and wish I may, wish I might will not happen since I'm enoying the journey of learning to play. My father was a member, he even recieved a gold membeship card.

I love the sound of Orchestras tuning up for Musicals, Opera, Ballet and other events. Nothing can take the place of live music.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Absolutely disgusting!

I have gone to several concerts here in Milton Keynes. The Founder Director of the Milton Keynes City Orchestra, Mr Hilary Davan Wetton, always says something in the breaks about the importance of live music, and they play both classical and popular.

I cannot remember it completely, specially the percentages, and I think he is repeating something from a study, but it was something like this:

"If one person goes once to a concert, the chances of his repeating and going to another concert go up by a 25%; if he goes to that 2nd concert, the chances of going to a 3rd one increase by 50%, if he goes to that 3rd one, chances that he will go to a 4th one go up by 75%, and after that one, chances are that he will attend lots and lots of concerts in his life."

Of course young people like live musicians, not only for modern music!

Serious since Dec 2013. March 2014, Kawai CA95!

Time you enjoy wasting was not wasted

[Linked Image]
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Don't know how to edit - The actress in One can't play the piano,her hands hover above the keys.

D
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
D
I have a few friends in that band. Yes just another blow to live music at all levels. This is just at the higher, more visible level. It trickles down from there... wink

We live in an era where people are content to hit *play* on their devices as opposed to having the real deal. In some ways, can't I say I blame them. If they are early 40s or under, for the most part they are products of their generation which grew up in an era where live music was not part of their life/social landscape. When they went to a club or function like a wedding, good chance there was a DJ there as opposed to a live band. frown

My nieces and their husbands are in their late 20s to early 30s. Their connection with what I do is probably a -100... smirk In their world, I'm about as relevant as a Viking ship builder or a blacksmith.. laugh My niece has never heard a live jazz group in her life. She said she doesn't like to go where there's live music, of any style, because her and her friends can't talk.... confused

It's a microcosm of what's going on today and what will be even be more prevalent in the future I feel. People that are optimists (not me) , say ..oh yeah these things are cyclical, it will all come around again. Personally I can't see it. The foundation has already been laid. The only passion I see these days is for facebook and iphones. frown

I can't tell you how many world class musicians are barely making it, losing their homes or had to move on to another career. It has never been easy being a Pro musician, but I came up in a time where--if you practiced your a** off, could play, sight-read and was a generally nice, easy to get along with, social person--you would work and could carve out a humble living. You might not be famous but you could have a small family, buy a modest house and be ok.

Today everything reminds of that Phil Collins tune pertaining to just getting a gig--Against all odds ! Myself along with the majority of my comrades in arms feel like its the Dark Ages for all serious musicians today. . frown mad

Yet we keep practicing....go figure. confused

Last edited by Dave Ferris; 02/07/14 10:33 PM. Reason: added thoughts
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
How sad Dave frown

6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
That is sad Dave.
I hate to see such top notch professionals struggling.

I have friends who are concert pianist and jazz piano recording artists who have to constantly chase
work.

- Frank B.
Original Founder of Piano World
Owner of...
www.PianoSupplies.com
Maine Piano Man

My Keyboards:
Estonia L-190, Roland RD88, Yamaha P-80, Bilhorn Telescope Organ c 1880, Antique Pump Organ, 1850 concertina, 3 other digital pianos
-------------------------
My original piece on BandCamp: https://frankbaxtermrpianoworld.bandcamp.com/releases

Me banging out some tunes in the Estonia piano booth at the NAMM show...

It's Fun To Play the Piano ... PLEASE Pass It On!

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Dave Ferris
My niece has never heard a live jazz group in her life. She said she doesn't like to go where there's live music, of any style, because her and her friends can't talk.... confused

huh? but they have gone to discos and noisy clubs/bars, haven't they? On/off button music places...

I have been to piano bars, food places with bands, and they don't "have to" be noisy, depends on the style of music, of course.

Pity what they are missing and the implications for so many professional musicians.

I enjoy live music, have gone and will go to many concerts and others, but for me playing music is just a hobby, it must be scary when it is actually what you do for living.

[Linked Image]
E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
Why do they always over-egg the argument?

"...stop these unjustifiable and unwarranted actions. You can join with us to push back against this latest attack upon the livelihood and integrity of professional musicians."

A "justification" has been offered. "Unwarranted" and "Integrity" are just buzz-words. It's about losing jobs and, arguably, about reducing quality (though how is maintaining quality anyone's business except the producer's?) Fight it on that basis.

E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by evamar
"If one person goes once to a concert, the chances of his repeating and going to another concert go up by a 25%; if he goes to that 2nd concert, the chances of going to a 3rd one increase by 50%, if he goes to that 3rd one, chances that he will go to a 4th one go up by 75%, and after that one, chances are that he will attend lots and lots of concerts in his life."

So drag them screaming and fighting to a first concert, then a second.. thus producing a music lover?

Lord knows, I'm not against live music. I make a living from it. But let's try to keep the arguments real!

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Exalted Wombat
Originally Posted by evamar

So drag them screaming and fighting to a first concert, then a second.. thus producing a music lover?

Lord knows, I'm not against live music. I make a living from it. But let's try to keep the arguments real!

hahaaa... not my words in any case, but it certainly worked with me well before I ever heard that. The conductor I heard this from never mentions it, but I guess he means willingly going to a concert for the first time, no mention of age.

BTW, there are easy going ways of taking kids to concerts. Parades with marching band, musicals... make a nice thing of it. They do "Proms in the Park" here in Milton Keynes, and the orchestra plays both classical and popular music, even some opera singing. People come with chairs and a picnic, and I see little kids singing and dancing, getting familiar with the music. Expensive sweets, ice-creams, drinks and food vans for them to get spoilt too and for the parents to have a drink (of course in the UK). Then big fireworks, and a nice night out. I haven't seen any kid screaming or fighting, and this is a very popular event, not a "do not move and make no noise or else" one.

[Linked Image]
B
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
Here in UK, the BBC Proms get more and more popular year by year - and many more young people attend for them than for 'normal' concerts.

They are less formal - no dress code, as long as you've got something on wink - and you can just turn up and queue for tickets on the day, standing or sitting (or lying down, as I did for my first Proms concert: Brendel playing Brahms 2 with Abbado conducting the Berlin PO), lots of contemporary music gets programmed, including several new commissions every year (last year, Rzewski's new piano concerto was premiered by the composer).....even concerts of Boulez and Stockhausen are well-attended, as well as jazz and folk concerts.

And orchestras (including the greatest like the Wiener Philharmoniker and Berliner Philharmoniker) and soloists around the world are clamouring to come to the Proms.

If music be the food of love, play on!
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Precisely, the first experience doesn't have to be a "shhhhhhhh, keep quiet and don't move" one, it's just an introduction and if it's relaxed and enjoyable the kids -and adults- will enjoy it and they might be more interested in live music.

By the time they actually go to a "shhhh" one I hope they'll have learned how to behave, all being said!

P.S. (Both to adults and kids) NO! the crinkling wrapped sweets are NOT to be opened during a concert/film/anything similar, it doesn't matter how slowly and carefully you try to open them! That's why breaks are for! And if no breaks, have them unwrapped and ready before it starts! *sigh*

[Linked Image]

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,387
Posts3,349,212
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission