Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#2227944 - 02/08/14 03:54 PM Accessorize...........
Stubbie Offline

Loc: Midwest USA
What would you add to or change on your piano or piano area if you could?

I'd have an adjustable piano bench, for starters. Then maybe shelving or a bookcase for piano material, though there is no room WHATSOEVER for anymore bookcases or shelving in the room.

Go ahead. Make a wish and snap your fingers. smile

(ads P/S)

Sauter Pianos

#2227949 - 02/08/14 04:07 PM Re: Accessorize........... [Re: Stubbie]
JeanieA Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Reno, Nevada
An owner's butt on the bench MUCH more often.

I did get the Frederick adjustable artist's bench for Christmas, which is super comfy and a great improvement over my old bench. I do recommend that!

#2227965 - 02/08/14 04:39 PM Re: Accessorize........... [Re: Stubbie]
wimpiano Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: The Netherlands
@Stubbie, make that a sturdy adjustable bench that doesn't make any sound smile

I would like to add a good player to my piano hence I'm studying my ass off wink

#2227983 - 02/08/14 05:23 PM Re: Accessorize........... [Re: Stubbie]
dynamobt Online   content
500 Post Club Member

Loc: NH
I'd like some nice shelves for music. My stack of music on the piano gets reather tall every once in a while. I really ought not to stack music on the sides of the music desk. If it wasn't there, it would be easier to close my piano at night. As it stands, I leave it open. My bad.
So some nice shelves for music close by to the piano would be nice.

#2227992 - 02/08/14 05:35 PM Re: Accessorize........... [Re: Stubbie]
earlofmar Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Australia
I have a terrible set up, stuck away in our spare bedroom with all the other junk. My wish would be to have a full room with shelves and a computer desk close by.

#2227993 - 02/08/14 05:35 PM Re: Accessorize........... [Re: Stubbie]
peterws Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Northern England.
I got an art deco bench to sit on. One inch too high; have to jack the piano up!
I`d like a fiercely traditional surround for my digital to pop over the top. . . and fool everybody

""

#2228139 - 02/08/14 09:46 PM Re: Accessorize........... [Re: Stubbie]
Mr Super-Hunky Online   content
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Arizona.
I'd have a James Bond type switch in the wall that turns the room the piano is in into an acoustically perfect room.

Then again, I'd be out of excuses. So instead, I want self cleaning piano keys. Not too squeaky clean/grippy, and not too slick either. Just right.

And I want the piano to be self tuning too.

#2228243 - 02/09/14 04:51 AM Re: Accessorize........... [Re: Stubbie]
casinitaly Offline

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014

Loc: Italy
oh a self-tuning piano..I could go for that.

I'd like a wee shelf for my music - it does get a bit cluttered. And I'd like a nice piano lamp. The only really nice looking ones I've seen cost huge amounts of money.

#2228262 - 02/09/14 06:14 AM Re: Accessorize........... [Re: casinitaly]
peterws Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Northern England.
Self tuning pianos really ought to be written in the history books now; with the latest devices ready to roll out . . .the technology is simple. But it`s not happening is it?

""

#2228282 - 02/09/14 08:20 AM Re: Accessorize........... [Re: Stubbie]
JimF Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: south florida
I could use a better lighting setup too.

How about a piano that talks to you? Mine would have a sweet voice, warm personality, and a great sense of humor.....

Originally Posted By: JimF's Estonia
Good morning Jim, I was hoping you would come over and play me. Our session yesterday felt wonderful...you played that Mozart sonata just like Horowitz would if he was a senior citizen beginner with a slight hangover. Have some coffee and let's get started.

grin

Estonia L190 #7284

#2228303 - 02/09/14 09:18 AM Re: Accessorize........... [Re: Stubbie]
malkin Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: *sigh* Salt Lake City
laugh @ JimF

I need a new light as well, but it is going to wait.

#2228316 - 02/09/14 09:38 AM Re: Accessorize........... [Re: Stubbie]
wouter79 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Some upgrades to the brain of the owner :-)

#2228528 - 02/09/14 03:54 PM Re: Accessorize........... [Re: peterws]
Mr Super-Hunky Online   content
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Arizona.
Originally Posted By: peterws
Self tuning pianos really ought to be written in the history books now; with the latest devices ready to roll out . . .the technology is simple. But it`s not happening is it?

A 'self-tuning' piano is very doable with today's technology. Even some cars now have self monitoring air pressure capabilities for the tires which doesn't even require much other than a pressure monitor and an on board compressor.

A 'self-tuning' piano would just involve a digital tuner along with a servo motor to fine tune the torque(tension) of each individual pin.

I guess that's the kicker though; "each individual pin". That's a lot of servo motors = cha-ching $$$!

Edited by Mr Super-Hunky (02/09/14 03:55 PM)

#2228534 - 02/09/14 04:02 PM Re: Accessorize........... [Re: Stubbie]
jotur Online   blank
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Santa Fe, NM
Hm. With a cursory search I couldn't find it, but there's someone here on PW who is, in fact, working on a self-tuning piano that's always in tune, and has been for several years.

Could inquire in the tech forum, I guess. . .

What would I want? A self-maintaining index of sheet music.

But, more realistically, but not very much more, an acoustic piano that's a lot newer and in better shape than the one I have.

Cathy

#2228538 - 02/09/14 04:08 PM Re: Accessorize........... [Re: Stubbie]
ShiroKuro Online   content
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: not in Japan anymore
I need to start with getting a new house first. (Graduate family housing apartments are not conducive to large piano rooms!)

I would like a dedicated piano room/living room (in other words, separate from a room with a TV in it). The room would have a medium-sized grand piano in a rosewood or brown color, with nice lighting and shelving for music books. And definitely an adjustable bench! There would also be a sofa and comfy chairs and coffee table for Mr SK and any guest who might happen to stop by. Also, big windows for natural light, but somehow no temperature/humidity issues. I would also like to have a roll-out side table type thingy where I would have my coffee cup, and any music and pencils etc, this would roll back out of the way when company comes.

I've thought waaay too much about this! laugh

#2228544 - 02/09/14 04:27 PM Re: Accessorize........... [Re: Stubbie]
jdw Online   content
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Philadelphia, PA
I want the adjustable bench, the handy music shelving, and a cordless piano light that illuminates the music perfectly but takes up zero space (hovering just above the music desk would be ideal). Ok, I'll take the self-tuning too.
Mozart, K 330
Brahms, Op. 118 no. 2

#2228552 - 02/09/14 04:39 PM Re: Accessorize........... [Re: Stubbie]
Minnesota Marty Offline

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014

Loc: Rochester MN
Well, that self-tuning thingy exists:

http://www.popsci.com/technology/article/2012-06/2012-invention-awards-self-tuning-piano

I keep looking for a little, round, mahogany side table which is the perfect height and size for an ever-filling cup of coffee. A mere reach from the bench.

If I can't find the ever-filling cup, a butler would do.

grin

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.

#2228579 - 02/09/14 05:20 PM Re: Accessorize........... [Re: Stubbie]
JeanieA Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Reno, Nevada
Marty, maybe this could be modified for coffee service?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gE-1zAja0uw#t=19

Edited by JeanieA (02/09/14 05:35 PM)
Edit Reason: Well, doggone it, how DOES one embed a video here?!? The media tag sure isn't it!

#2228586 - 02/09/14 05:26 PM Re: Accessorize........... [Re: Stubbie]
Minnesota Marty Offline

That would be an evening accessory.

Slurred Schumann, anyone?

#2228588 - 02/09/14 05:27 PM Re: Accessorize........... [Re: Stubbie]
Minnesota Marty Offline

Or, Blotto Brahms?

#2228661 - 02/09/14 07:44 PM Re: Accessorize........... [Re: Stubbie]
Stubbie Offline

Loc: Midwest USA
In addition to Mr. SH's thingy to keep the keys not too sticky and not too slick, I'd add a hand warmer. And, yeah, a foot warmer to go with it, while we're at it.

This time of year my hands are almost always cold and playing the piano doesn't really warm them up. So a nice little warming oven next to the piano would be nice. I could keep my coffee in there as well. grin

#2229143 - 02/10/14 06:07 PM Re: Accessorize........... [Re: Stubbie]
joflah Online   content

Loc: St. Louis, MO, USA
Originally Posted By: Stubbie
In addition to Mr. SH's thingy to keep the keys not too sticky and not too slick, I'd add a hand warmer. And, yeah, a foot warmer to go with it, while we're at it.

This time of year my hands are almost always cold and playing the piano doesn't really warm them up. So a nice little warming oven next to the piano would be nice. I could keep my coffee in there as well. grin

If that were too slow, maybe a microwave with handholes, give it three seconds, ready to go.

#2234733 - 02/20/14 08:58 AM Re: Accessorize........... [Re: Mr Super-Hunky]
Turnabout Offline

Originally Posted By: Mr Super-Hunky
Originally Posted By: peterws

A 'self-tuning' piano is very doable with today's technology. Even some cars now have self monitoring air pressure capabilities for the tires which doesn't even require much other than a pressure monitor and an on board compressor.

A 'self-tuning' piano would just involve a digital tuner along with a servo motor to fine tune the torque(tension) of each individual pin.

I guess that's the kicker though; "each individual pin". That's a lot of servo motors = cha-ching $$$!

It's already available for electric guitars (from Gibson, Tronical, Peavy and maybe others), although guitar string tension is far less than a piano's and adding a reinforced version of the tech to a piano (relative low volume in sales compared to smaller, easier-to-make units for guitars) would probably cost the equivalent of several years of tuning anyway (and require servicing of its own in time).

#2235709 - 02/21/14 08:04 PM Re: Accessorize........... [Re: Stubbie]
gooddog Online   content
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Seattle area, WA
A Steinway D with a room large enough for it and far enough away from the family to keep them from going deaf. Come to think of it, since we are "wishing", why not a separate, sound proofed practice room?

About the adjustable bench - if you get one, make sure it adjusts enough to suit you. My piano came with an adjustable artist's bench but even at the highest position, it is too low for me. If found out too late that it is also available with longer legs.

Deborah

#2235711 - 02/21/14 08:06 PM Re: Accessorize........... [Re: Stubbie]
gooddog Online   content
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Seattle area, WA
A Steinway D with a room large enough for it and far enough away from the family to keep them from going deaf. Come to think of it, since we are "wishing", why not a separate, sound proofed practice room?

About the adjustable bench - if you get one, make sure it adjusts enough to suit you. My piano came with an adjustable artist's bench but even at the highest position, it is too low for me. I found out too late that it is also available with longer legs.

...Oh, and I've always wanted a metronome that pokes me in the leg rather than ticking.

...and longer fingers, by about 1/2 inch would be nice.

Deborah

#2235826 - 02/22/14 06:10 AM Re: Accessorize........... [Re: JimF]
casinitaly Offline

Originally Posted By: JimF
I could use a better lighting setup too.

How about a piano that talks to you? Mine would have a sweet voice, warm personality, and a great sense of humor.....

Originally Posted By: JimF's Estonia
Good morning Jim, I was hoping you would come over and play me. Our session yesterday felt wonderful...you played that Mozart sonata just like Horowitz would if he was a senior citizen beginner with a slight hangover. Have some coffee and let's get started.

grin

Giacomo, you made me laugh!

I think mine would sound like Sean Connery, and it would say....

Originally Posted By: casinitaly's piano
Good morning Cheryl, delighted to see you again today. Yesterday's session was marvellous... you played your Clementi just like Martha Argerich would....if she had a bad case of arthritis and had forgotten her reading-glasses. Have yourself a tot of whisky and let's get on with it aye?

#2235838 - 02/22/14 07:32 AM Re: Accessorize........... [Re: Stubbie]
WiseBuff Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Brighton Colorado
Time to reorganize my music and catalog it in some fashion on the shelf. Tough to complain...I have a really nice set up.

Love to learn

#2235874 - 02/22/14 09:48 AM Re: Accessorize........... [Re: casinitaly]
JimF Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: south florida
Now that we have our pianos talking, you can imagine the conversations they would have (mine sounds like a cross between Zsa Zsa Gabor and Ann Margret)......

JimF's Estonia: Dahlink, it's been ages. How are you?

casinitaly's piano: Can't complain, the dear girl treats me like a movie star. Got a recent tune up and at least we don't have that godawful heat and humidity of summer. Now, if we could just get that nitwit next door to stop banging on the wall we could dispense with this silly silent mode business.

JimF's Estonia: Oh, I know Dahlink, isn't it a scandal? Who ever heard of a silent piano at your age?.... although there are times when my guy makes makes me sound like a constipated rhinoceros and I wish I was mute...oh, and those lab retrievers of his, always schlobering all over me and whacking me in the shins with those tails. I wonder how he'd like a wet nose stuck up his soundboard!

Estonia L190 #7284

#2235878 - 02/22/14 09:56 AM Re: Accessorize........... [Re: JimF]
casinitaly Offline

Good one Giacomo! We'd better keep them in check though...this duetto could turn into something so steamy they'd both go out of tune ! lol

(sorry for getting off topic folks smile....but you have to admit it opens up a whole new dimension to the idea of playing if you thought your piano would talk back to you...(Makes me think of Iron Man and Jarvis) )

Originally Posted By: JimF
Now that we have our pianos talking, you can imagine the conversations they would have (mine sounds like a cross between Zsa Zsa Gabor and Ann Margret)......

JimF's Estonia: Dahlink, it's been ages. How are you?

casinitaly's piano: Can't complain, the dear girl treats me like a movie star. Got a recent tune up and at least we don't have that godawful heat and humidity of summer. Now, if we could just get that nitwit next door to stop banging on the wall we could dispense with this silly silent mode business.

JimF's Estonia: Oh, I know Dahlink, isn't it a scandal? Who ever heard of a silent piano at your age?.... although there are times when my guy makes makes me sound like a constipated rhinoceros and I wish I was mute...oh, and those lab retrievers of his, always schlobering all over me and whacking me in the shins with those tails. I wonder how he'd like a wet nose stuck up his soundboard!

#2235939 - 02/22/14 11:55 AM Re: Accessorize........... [Re: Stubbie]
jotur Online   blank
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Santa Fe, NM
JimF and casinitaly - laugh x a big number smile

Cathy

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
8 Live Ragtime Piano Players on the Cape!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Janko keyboard video
by Michael Sayers
10/21/14 08:28 PM
RECOVERING PIANO HAMMERS
by Steinway K
10/21/14 07:31 PM
Help with forum for Musette in D Major...
by ieatglitter14
10/21/14 05:27 PM
The 2 Most Common Questions Conundrum
by chernobieff
10/21/14 02:44 PM
Heroic Polonaise help please...
by ChopinLives81
10/21/14 02:28 PM
Who's Online
118 registered (36251, A Guy, accordeur, ajames, 36 invisible), 1341 Guests and 17 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76610 Members
42 Forums
158403 Topics
2326217 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission