2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
64 members (brennbaer, AndyOnThePiano2, APianistHasNoName, AlkansBookcase, Charles Cohen, BillS728, 36251, 11 invisible), 2,036 guests, and 349 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by R_B
Thanks for posting that link slipperykeys, ...

My pleasure, glad you found use for it.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
I think they left off the MIDI ports because they've assessed the market and people mostly don't use them or need them. If you do need them, just buy a piano that has them. Simple.

R
R_B Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
R
Yeah, what MacMacMac said.
These are Home Pianos, not for gigging out or driving rack gear.
If you need hydrostatic drive just buy a tractor that HAS hydrostatic drive, this one doesn't laugh
(deliberate mixed metaphor)

Just reading through the manual and brochures it seems they are retreating from MIDI(obviously) for Home Pianos and trying to move TOWARDS Wan connectivity and i-phone/pad apps.
The WNA1100-RL thing is about $60 on Amazon.

Arguably a trend to welcome ? Depends if you are a rack rat from way back I guess.
Nonetheless, see page 52 of the manual.

Last edited by R_B; 02/08/14 07:30 PM.
T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by MacMacMac
I think they left off the MIDI ports because they've assessed the market and people mostly don't use them or need them. If you do need them, just buy a piano that has them. Simple.

Whilst this is of course true - and I did buy a DP with MIDI IN, MIDI OUT and two USB connections and I use all these connections - the point is that, the way things seem to be going, this will not be an option soon. There won't be a choice.

So everything will have to be routed through a computer: modules, keyboards, other sequencers. It does enforce a considerably higher level of complexity and potential for breakdowns and crashes.....this is true of most tech stuff these days.

Roland HP 302 / Samson Graphite 49 / Akai EWI

Reaper / Native Instruments K9 ult / ESQL MOR2 Symph Orchestra & Choirs / Lucato & Parravicini , trumpets & saxes / Garritan CFX lite / Production Voices C7 & Steinway D compact

Focusrite Saffire 24 / W7, i7 4770, 16GB / MXL V67g / Yamaha HS7s / HD598
A
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
A
I agree, lack of MIDI ports is less of an issue for a non-portable and/or non-professional device because there will be less need to connect it to other MIDI devices. That said, what bothers me about relying on USB ports alone is that, 5 or 10 years from now, they may be obsolete, and people won't have computers that are compatible with these systems, whereas standard 5-pin MIDI compatibility will probably out live all of us.

T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by R_B
Just reading through the manual and brochures it seems they are retreating from MIDI(obviously) for Home Pianos and trying to move TOWARDS Wan connectivity and i-phone/pad apps.
Arguably a trend to welcome ?

Yes, if you have an iphone.
Originally Posted by R_B

Depends if you are a rack rat from way back I guess.

Yes, I'm a rack rat from way back. It's a nice description.
Originally Posted by R_B

Nonetheless, see page 52 of the manual.

I looked at the link but couldn't find page 52. The MIDI implementation stuff only went up to 40 something....and anyway was not really relevant to this......am I looking at the wrong document?

Reaper / Native Instruments K9 ult / ESQL MOR2 Symph Orchestra & Choirs / Lucato & Parravicini , trumpets & saxes / Garritan CFX lite / Production Voices C7 & Steinway D compact

Or a computer with a USB port.
Pretty common these days, methinks.
Originally Posted by toddy
Originally Posted by R_B
Arguably a trend to welcome?
Yes, if you have an iphone.

lolatu Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Hey R_B, thanks for looking into this. I have already checked the manual. This is the diagram (page 52 of the HP506 manual) I think you're referring to:

[Linked Image]

It seems they copied this from the HP505 manual, just inserting "USB" before the word "MIDI". But it doesn't tell you how to connect to a hardware sequencer (you would normally do it with MIDI cables). In fact, it seems from the discussion above, there is no way. That is the whole point of this thread.

Kawai CA95 / Steinberg UR22 / Sony MDR-7506 / Pianoteq Stage + Grotrian, Bluethner / Galaxy Vintage D / CFX Lite
In the loft: Roland FP3 / Tannoy Reveal Active / K&M 18810
lolatu Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by MacMacMac

Unfortunately for Roland, that will have to be a Kawai. I checked, and the latest LX15 and DP90 no longer have MIDI ports either. Roland have lost the plot.

Kawai CA95 / Steinberg UR22 / Sony MDR-7506 / Pianoteq Stage + Grotrian, Bluethner / Galaxy Vintage D / CFX Lite
lolatu Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
anotherscott and toddy - thanks for you input.

Having to do everything MIDI via a computer is madness. I was quite keen on the new Rolands before I discovered this omission. They may have saved $2 by removing the MIDI ports, but they'll have to sell a lot of these to make it worthwhile, because they've also lost several hundred $ from the purchase I will now not make. frown

A
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by lolatu
Hey R_B, thanks for looking into this. I have already checked the manual. This is the diagram (page 52 of the HP506 manual) I think you're referring to:

[Linked Image]

It seems they copied this from the HP505 manual, just inserting "USB" before the word "MIDI". But it doesn't tell you how to connect to a hardware sequencer (you would normally do it with MIDI cables). In fact, it seems from the discussion above, there is no way. That is the whole point of this thread.

Yes... what's conceptually missing from that image is that the "sequencer" in that scenario would be a program running on a computer.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by R_B
I assume the USB port "speaks MIDI" ?
and that a simple MIDI/USB adapter works.
This is what I and many others use to connect laptops to MIDI Keyboards.

IS THERE a problem ?

If you want to connect directly to a another MIDI keyboard or sound module, yes. The USB out is to a "host" so you will need a computer or special interface in between the USB-only keyboard and "slave" synth.

Probably not an issue for most people but it is for those with a lot of older gear and not into computers/interfaces.

R
R_B Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
R
lolatu,

My experience with document/manual writers is much the same as it is with composers/arrangers.
90+ percent of what they do is same old same old with a few updates and edits.
I suspect that the 506 manual came about in that way.

I don't have any Roland keyboards, so I just jumped in at this point on the 504, 506, 508 series.

If anyone wants a REAL answer on this the place to get it is Roland support.
I used them recently to get the factory reset procedure on my U220 (Yeah, rack rat from way back).
Within MINUTES they responded on a 30+ year old product and it was RELEVANT HELP, not the boiler plate "out of warranty" or "no longer supported".

Start here;
http://www.rolandus.com/support/email_support/
Quote the manual at them if you like, but I would hold that until after their first response.

You may have to register, it is free - even on 30 year old products laugh

D
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
D
Strangely Roland did the opposite with FP50. It's predecessor, FP-4F had both midi in/out and midi via USB, in FP-50 they removed the USB type B... which is a pity as well...

Roland FP-4F, Korg Kross 61, iRig Keys Pro, HD58X, HD598, Focal Spirit Pro, RME Babyface, M-Track Plus, Roland DuoCapture, Presonus Eris E5, iLoud micro monitors, M1 Mac mini, iPad Pro, HP Elite X2, Ivory II ACD, Korg Module for iPad, Garritan CFX full, Vienna Imperial, Ravenscroft, Kawai-Ex Pro
T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by lolatu

Hallelujah! We should remember that Roland have always been ahead of the game on instrument interfaces. In the 1970's and early 80's before MIDI got off the ground, they had their in-house interface called DCB (there was even one on the Juno 60 - a mid 80's synth) and that Roland collaborated with Californian based developers such as Dave Smith from Sequential Circuits in the initial phases of MIDI (1978 - 1982).

Physical MIDI sockets might go the way of DCB. But as anotherscott said, MIDI has been a lot more durable than any computer interface system, to date. Imagine we were all stuck with SCSI connectors on the back of our DPs now. And remember what a bright new world SCSI was supposed to have brought us long after MIDI was already pretty long in the tooth?

W
W
Hi Guys

I'm dragging this thread up so please excuse me.

I'm not very good at tech stuf and I'm just starting out writing some stuff using Logic on my Mac. I mainly play guitar but I really would like to use my 504 with Logic to add midi tracks.

Is this possible with the connector available or not? If so what cable would I need to buy?

Thanks for your help

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I have the HP508. It has both types of USB port. I have only used the device "memory" port, usually with a thumb drive containing audio files for play along, occassionaly with the included wireless adapter for using Piano Partner (V1) appl.

The user guide indicates the to-Host 'computer port" can be used for " SMF data played by MIDI-compatible software that can be sounded by the HP508 or MIDI data transferred between your sequencer software and the HP508 for music production and editing. "

- Kawai MP7 and LSR308 monitors
- Roland HP-508
- DT770 Pro-80 and MDR-7506 phones
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
PS - near the beginning of this thread is posted a (broken) link to midi implementation for the 506, which redirects to https://www.roland.com/us/search/site_search/

Search for ' hp508 midi implementation ' turns up several hits including a 45-page PDF V1 dated 2013 covering midi for 504 / 506 / 508

https://static.roland.com/assets/media/pdf/HP508_HP506_HP504_MI.pdf

- Kawai MP7 and LSR308 monitors
- Roland HP-508
- DT770 Pro-80 and MDR-7506 phones
W
W
Thanks. The PDF is pretty detailed and I will file it away for reference once I get things sorted. I'm assuming then I can plug the piano into my mac and use it to created midi files. I looked at the user guide but it isn't terribly helpful. TBH I don't know what SMF files are.

To keep it really basic, do I just buy a cable and plug it in and then I'm good to go?

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
SMF files are MIDI files. SMF stands for Standard MIDI Format.

Kawai Novus NV10
My amateur piano recordings on YouTube
Latest Recording: Always With Me (from Studio Ghibli: Spirited Away)
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,223
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission