2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
27 members (clothearednincompo, crab89, JohnCW, Georg Z., David B, Fried Chicken, AlkansBookcase, 8 invisible), 1,163 guests, and 298 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Wait staff in America are not paid the way you think.
The minimum wage had been $7.25, recently increased to $8.25.
When tips are added, the total hourly wage MUST meet or exceed the minimum ... or the employer must pony up the difference.
A waiter gets no tips for time worked before opening or after closing. But even so, if a waiter can't get enough tips to bring the average up to $8.25 he ought not be a waiter. Indeed, if he can't get $20 he should find other work.
Originally Posted by iMou354
I was thinking though, just a bit of food for thought, we make more money here in Australia than in America. Example a "check out chick" here in Australia can easily make $20 an hour, where as in America they make something like $8 an hour in the same job.

A
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by MacMacMac

The minimum wage had been $7.25, recently increased to $8.25.

Minimum wage in the US. is still $7.25, but some states are higher. So the increase to $8.25 you saw would have been in your particular state.

if a waiter can't get enough tips to bring the average up to $8.25 he ought not be a waiter. Indeed, if he can't get $20 he should find other work.

Regardless, there are still plenty of jobs in the U.S. that pay minimum wage, and other amounts far below $20/hr.

Though as I mentioned, the discrepancy with Australia is reduced when you look at actual purchasing power (though even then, Australia's minimum wage is more generous than that in the U.S).

A
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by gvfarns

The question is whether DP's are expensive in Australia when compared with other goods and when compared with incomes.

There's no doubt that DPs (and APs) are very expensive compared to other goods. The price of ordinary things like household appliances is not that much more than the US. Cars are expensive here, but not shockingly so. Pianos are ridiculously overpriced. Some of you guys who swap your gear over on a regular basis would certainly not be doing it so easily over here. Because they are so expensive, not many are sold and so you don't see them coming up on the second-hand market too much either - and when you do, they still aren't cheap. I would have upgraded to a nice mid-high end DP by now if the prices weren't so scandalous. I have to save my pennies for other things.

J
Unobtanium Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
Unobtanium Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
J
A waiter gets no tips for time worked before opening or after closing. But even so, if a waiter can't get enough tips to bring the average up to $8.25 he ought not be a waiter. Indeed, if he can't get $20 he should find other work.

Indeed, minimum wage jobs are typically high turnover high flexibility secondary jobs. Out here, if someone says they're an actor, the next question you ask them is "Oh, which restaurant?" ;-)

-- J.S.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Knabe Grand # 10927
Yamaha CP33
Kawai FS690
http://www.alternet.org/economy/whe...estaurants-pay-their-workers-living-wage

Fervent lobbying by the corporate restaurant lobby, the National Restaurant Association, has kept the federal tipped minimum wage stuck at $2.13 an hour since 1991. As a result, servers—a majority of whom are women—use food stamps at double the rate of the rest of the workforce and are three-times as likely to live in poverty. They typically get $0 paychecks because their base wage is swiftly eaten up by taxes. Although labor laws require owners to ante up and pay their staff the federal or slightly higher (where applicable) minimum wage when tips don’t fill the gap, enforcement is alarming sparse. According to research from the Economic Policy Institute, employers have a .001 percent chance of being investigated in a given year, making wage theft pretty common, and easy to get away with. If you’re familiar with living paycheck-to-paycheck, servers are quite literally living shift-to-shift

S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by ando

Australian prices are shocking. We are paying close to double on the majority of DPs compared to US prices. It's the sole reason I haven't upgraded my DP in a long time.

Probably down to the reduced market. Manufacturers can book more units per shipment to America and Europe and probably less to Australia, therefore shipping cost per unit would probably actually be higher.

A
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by slipperykeys
Originally Posted by ando

Australian prices are shocking. We are paying close to double on the majority of DPs compared to US prices. It's the sole reason I haven't upgraded my DP in a long time.

Probably down to the reduced market. Manufacturers can book more units per shipment to America and Europe and probably less to Australia, therefore shipping cost per unit would probably actually be higher.

Yes, I did mention that in my first post on the subject. I understand the reality of it. Doesn't make it any easier to swallow though! When guys from the US go on about the prices of nice gear - even saying "this is too much" sometimes - us Aussies weep! We seriously pay close to double for a lot of stuff. It's depressing.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,164
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission