2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
35 members (David Boyce, Erinmarriott, 20/20 Vision, Animisha, beeboss, Cominut, brennbaer, crab89, aphexdisklavier, admodios, 4 invisible), 1,332 guests, and 281 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 14 of 26 1 2 12 13 14 15 16 25 26
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Corvus Corax
Maybe the dealers just set velocity curve to "light" and stored it in "user memory" (that is default start-up settings).

Setting the touch sensitity to light was the first thing I tried. This way I found out that MIDI velocity output was limited to exactly 102.

I tried "light" curve on my ES100: now it can produce full range 1-127 velocities too (but then I switched back to normal curve because I think it's more realistic).

You can reach 127 on normal settings too, you just have to work the keyboard very hard. The sort of hard I had to use to get to 102 before. Regular playing didn't go past velocity 80 on normal touch sensitivity, setting it to light made it worse by removing dynamic range almost completely.

You can check my conjecture: just select base "Concert Grand" sound (PIANO + lowest key). This sound is start-up default until you store your custom settings to "user memory".

Well, last thing I did, before returning it, was another factory reset and another verification, that the defect was still there. After getting it back unrepaired it still was at factory settings. Except the issue was gone now and the keyboard characteristics and resulting sound changed completely. It's still a complete mystery what exactly happened, I just hope that it's not a hidden problem, which bites again after warranty expires.

But what about keyboard noise? It's as loud as before?

The keyboard noise is the same. Maybe there are even more silent ES100s out there, but this was not an issue for me anyway. The ES100 sound generator is able to easily predominate it now.

Yamaha P-515
C
C
Hi. I would like to update my post. I have not found the "Edit" button and what I am updating is important.

Originally Posted by ZikO
Metronome.
When recording a track with metronome with ding on first note, the piano holds recording until I start. Unfortunately, Yamaha somehow "synchronizes" or shifts the ding sound / first note when I touch keys. Consequently, I have to adapt to metronome smirk. It's annoying because I cannot play the pieces with extra note at the beginning. I have to press/touch any key to start recording and wait for the whole cycle then start to play.

A few days ago I found the way how to begin recording without touching the keyboard. This model has two buttons: Record and Start. Start is to begin to play a recorded track. While the piano is in the mode of awaiting to start recording, when it's waiting for me to start playing, I can simply press Start to begin recording and then join any time. Sorry, I did not known about it before!

Zbigniew

[Linked Image]
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Not sure if anyone has started talking about the Alesis Coda Pro yet. I did not start a thread but it should at least be mentioned to those shopping under $1,000. So I'll put it here for now and let someone else start a thread that knows something about this board. Might be a perfect fit for some of us. By comparison in that price range, it's good to have another option aside of PX150 or P105. However, we won't know this fairs until we get our hands on one.

Summary if you dont want to see NAMM video: Alesis Coda Pro $499, 17lbs(wow!), fully weighted keys, on board speakers.

OP Offline
Nice. Need a lot of feedback about that piano to include it on the list. Will keep an eye and when have enough info I will add it.

Thanks for bringing this to my attention.

Long time piano player, with 7 years experience working in restaurants and doing gigs in random places.

My project: Comparison of Portable Digital Pianos under 1000 US$

Owner of Kawai ES100
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Marko in Boston
Alesis Coda Pro $499, 17lbs(wow!), fully weighted keys, on board speakers.

plus a display, 1/4" Line inputs and outputs, USB and native MIDI and a 3 pedal option. Impressive!

Yamaha P-515
S
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by jtsn
Originally Posted by Marko in Boston
Alesis Coda Pro $499, 17lbs(wow!), fully weighted keys, on board speakers.

plus a display, 1/4" Line inputs and outputs, USB and native MIDI and a 3 pedal option. Impressive!

PianoManChuck says here it has a pretty decent action.

G
G
Marco From Boston, Thanks for posting the NAMM video of the ALesis Coda. This was just in time for me do a return on a light weight Yamaha piano that is beginning to seem more like a toy, and think about this. 17 pounds sounds right to me for something to take at least to a rehearsal. Sweetwater is taking preorders.

Essex baby grand, Kawai ES-120, Korg Liano
Jazz, blues, Latin, and a touch of classical and new age.
C
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
C
Musing:

I always assumed that, for a passive (no "active touch feedback" or "haptics") action, there was a minimum weight that allowed for a "weighted action". The physics is tricky, but you need something "weighty" attached to each key, to simulate the inertia that you can feel from an acoustic piano's hammers. The lighter the keyboard, the faster that "weighty" piece must move, to give a realistic inertial effect. And I figure there's an engineering limit to that velocity, set by the size of the keyboard.

So I'm waiting for some more-or-less unbiased reviews of the Alesis Coda Pro. It could be an interesting breakthrough, and a good alternative to the PX-150 and P105. Or not.

. Charles

. Charles
---------------------------
PX-350 / Roland Gaia / Pianoteq
D
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Charles Cohen
Musing:

I always assumed that, for a passive (no "active touch feedback" or "haptics") action, there was a minimum weight that allowed for a "weighted action". The physics is tricky, but you need something "weighty" attached to each key, to simulate the inertia that you can feel from an acoustic piano's hammers. The lighter the keyboard, the faster that "weighty" piece must move, to give a realistic inertial effect. And I figure there's an engineering limit to that velocity, set by the size of the keyboard.

So I'm waiting for some more-or-less unbiased reviews of the Alesis Coda Pro. It could be an interesting breakthrough, and a good alternative to the PX-150 and P105. Or not.

. Charles

Yes, I'm thinking the same about the Coda. I played on GHS for many years and now have GH, and I noticed something helpful: when I play on a nice grand piano, like my teacher's Yamaha C7 or a Steinway M or B, I have the same problems on the grand that I have on the digital. In other words, what I learn at home can be easily transferred to the grand; I don't encounter any ADDITIONAL issues thanks to the keybed. So, in that sense, I think we already know how to make "decent" digital piano actions for a relatively cheap price. At this point, it's simply a matter of taste and options -- maybe the Casio PX-150 and Yamaha GHS/GH actions are good enough for most of us, but it'd be nice to have an alternative that may feel better/more enjoyable to the pianist.

As for the quality of onboard sounds, however . . . I think you can forget about it at this price point smile.

Beethoven - Op.49 No.1 (sonata 19)
Czerny - Op.299 Nos. 5,7 (School of Velocity)
Liszt - S.172 No.2 (Consolation No.2)

Dream piece:
Rachmaninoff - Sonata 2, movement 2 in E minor
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by gracegren
Sweetwater is taking preorders.

Good catch. A bit more info too.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/CODAPro

OP Offline
One thing I notes about the Coda is that have glassy black keys. I never saw a real piano with glassy black keys. White keys yes, but black keys glassy? Never.

Not sure how relevant that would be, or maybe there are real pianos with glassy black keys and I don't know, but make me think might be a bit slippery. Kinda make it look like a keyboard, instead of a digital piano.

Doubt would be a deal breaker for anyone, though.

Just saying.

Long time piano player, with 7 years experience working in restaurants and doing gigs in random places.

Owner of Kawai ES100
D
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Daniel Richter
One thing I notes about the Coda is that have glassy black keys. I never saw a real piano with glassy black keys. White keys yes, but black keys glassy? Never.

Not sure how relevant that would be, or maybe there are real pianos with glassy black keys and I don't know, but make me think might be a bit slippery. Kinda make it look like a keyboard, instead of a digital piano.

Doubt would be a deal breaker for anyone, though.

Just saying.

There are smooth-plastic keys on most digitals . . . look at most of Yamaha's lineup, for example. I think Casio hit the nail on the head with the "wood textured" plastic, it feels so nice under the hands and it's non-slip.

I wish more manufacturers went the wood-textured route, because wood-textured plastic provides some weight savings over all-wood.

Dream piece:
OP Offline
Originally Posted by Dwscamel
There are smooth-plastic keys on most digitals . . .

Not correct. I've play the Yamaha P105 and Casio PX150 and Kawai ES100 and all have mate black keys. Is still plastic but is not glassy. Is mate. Small difference, and maybe not a problem in the actual moment to play, but is a difference.

Owner of Kawai ES100
D
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
D
The PX150 was one of the exceptions I had in mind, that's what I was referring to about the wooden texture on the white keys.

By "glossy" plastic, do you mean "slippery" as well? I played a P105, for example, and I thought it had the same problems as the other Yamaha keytops.

I played an ES100 but I don't remember if it was like that or not . . . but you own one :P.

Dream piece:
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Pet peeve: the Coda has wider end cheeks than necessary in a portable. Make the left cheek wide enough to contain the pitch bend (why?), then make the right one equally wide so as not to have it look lopsided, and before you know it it's not fitting across the back seat of the car with the doors closed. Why do DP designers make the same mistakes over and over?

OP Offline
With glossy I mean it shines like a glass. I am assuming that make glossy make it a bit slippery, but not sure if does. All I know is that all real pianos I've play the black keys are like mate. You know, the opposite of glossy. English is not my 1st language so maybe I am not using the right words.

At least compare to the white keys. White keys are glossy, but black keys not. In real pianos and Yamaha P105 and Kawai ES100, and Roland and Korg as far I can tell is same, but those I am not 100% sure.

Owner of Kawai ES100
D
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
D
Oh, OK: I was talking about white keys, you're talking about black keys.

Of course I wish both were non-slip!

And dewster, I agree about the length. Very annoying, but they can't make us all happy.

Dream piece:
K
K
Hello everyone,

This is my first message in this forum, so I salute every one of you!

I have read every page of this thread and the majority of you lean towards the ES100. I am actually looking at the ES100 to start my piano journey. I have never played the piano before. But they say it's never too late! Well, I live in Greece and here I can't find the ES100 easily so I am looking at thomann.de. I actually think it's a good deal to get the deluxe bundle.

Is Thomann trustworthy? I have heard good words about him.

Also, for a 20-year old looking to take piano playing seriously, would the ES100 be a great option? I am sure I'll have this piano for some years.

Thanks!

Last edited by kdmgr; 02/24/15 12:09 PM.
OP Offline
Welcome to the forum, kdmgr.

I don't know the dealer (Thomann) so I can't give my opinion about that, but I can tell you the ES100 is quite good choice for beginner or pro with tight budget.

I learn piano when I was 17 years old, which is not far from your age. I am sure people that learn piano earlier in life have a easier way, but trust me is still possible learn and be good. You can be as good as you want, but you need to put the time to practice.

Good luck.

PS: A few days ago I record and upload my first video on youtube playing piano. Maybe you can listen for inspiration:

The Way We Were (piano + notes + pedal)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2oTcVkGfjA

Last edited by Daniel Richter; 02/24/15 11:11 AM.

Owner of Kawai ES100
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Daniel Richter
I learn piano when I was 17 years old, which is not far from your age. I am sure people that learn piano earlier in life have a easier way, but trust is still possible learn and be good.

Agree entirely, but learning very young could possibly hurt one when it comes to teaching others. One might not remember the learning experience (and the difficulties involved) well enough to be the best person to help others through it.

Page 14 of 26 1 2 12 13 14 15 16 25 26

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,179
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission