Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2231291 - 02/14/14 02:52 AM going to concert with teacher
adultpianist Offline
500 Post Club Member

My favourite pianist is coming back to London next year to do a concert and I want to ask my piano teacher to accompany me. I have told my teacher I like this pianist and wondered if it is the done thing to do? Obviously the tickets are not cheap but they are not that expsnsive but someone would have to really like the pianist to pay what they are asking for front row.

Should I just keep my relationship professional with my teacher to class only. I am not looking to make friends with my teacher but its just that she knows I like this pianist and so I simply wondered if she would come to share my enthusiasm and as a teacher she could give her view on the performance from her viewpoint.

(ads P/S)

Petrof Pianos

#2231321 - 02/14/14 05:09 AM Re: going to concert with teacher [Re: adultpianist]
evamar Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Spanish living in UK
Originally Posted By: adultpianist
My favourite pianist is coming back to London next year to do a concert and I want to ask my piano teacher to accompany me. I have told my teacher I like this pianist and wondered if it is the done thing to do? Obviously the tickets are not cheap but they are not that expsnsive but someone would have to really like the pianist to pay what they are asking for front row.

Should I just keep my relationship professional with my teacher to class only. I am not looking to make friends with my teacher but its just that she knows I like this pianist and so I simply wondered if she would come to share my enthusiasm and as a teacher she could give her view on the performance from her viewpoint.

No, I wouldn't ask her. But you can simply mention that your favourite pianist is giving a concert and that you are really looking forward to going. Up to her is she says anything, for all you know she might well hate the pianist or need the money for other things.

If you only want her opinion about the technic, you can simply show her a video from youtube... and THEN mentioning the upcoming concert and that you are going... if her answer is positive.

But don't ask her directly if she would like to go with you. Let her approach you.

Time you enjoy wasting was not wasted

#2231354 - 02/14/14 07:54 AM Re: going to concert with teacher [Re: adultpianist]
Polyphonist Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York City
If you're going to ask her to come to an expensive concert then you really have to offer to pay for both seats.

Polyphonist

#2231392 - 02/14/14 09:10 AM Re: going to concert with teacher [Re: adultpianist]
Peter K. Mose Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Toronto, Ontario
Polyphonist is right in stating something obvious that I still missed in your post. You can't expect your piano teacher to "go Dutch" with you to something she may have little or no interest in.

And I must say that even if you do buy her a seat and she comes, you might be disappointed to learn that she is at best neutral about your favorite pianist.

Edited by Peter K. Mose (02/14/14 04:06 PM)

#2231476 - 02/14/14 12:07 PM Re: going to concert with teacher [Re: adultpianist]
Polyphonist Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York City
Might I ask who the pianist is?

Polyphonist

#2231493 - 02/14/14 12:32 PM Re: going to concert with teacher [Re: adultpianist]
briansaddleback Offline

Loc: Irvine CA
Yes you have to pay for her ticket if you ask her to go.

Cloches a travers les feuilles
Minstrels

#2231506 - 02/14/14 12:52 PM Re: going to concert with teacher [Re: Polyphonist]
malkin Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: *sigh* Salt Lake City
Originally Posted By: Polyphonist
Might I ask who the pianist is?

Unless she has more than one favorite, she is speaking of Helene Grimaud.

#2231510 - 02/14/14 12:56 PM Re: going to concert with teacher [Re: malkin]
adultpianist Offline
500 Post Club Member

yes it is Helene Grimaud. How ever did you guess? My piano teacher does actually like Helene as a pianist so I have no reason to doubt she will like her if she went to hear her play at a concert hall. I personally think Helene is a God.

I actually have a blog. I started it when I met someone at the most recent Helene Grimaud concert a few weeks ago and he said he kept a concert diary. I started one, beginning with the Brahms concert I went to recently. I will update it and show it here as and when I have a few more things on it. It will not only include write ups about concerts but anything else do to with piano and music.

I did ask a friend to go with me but she said as the concert is a year from now, she could not guaranted that she would be able to go. Why do people book a year ahead for concerts. How do the audience know that they are going to be free a year from now. The pianist could not guarantee that, let alone the audience.

Edited by adultpianist (02/14/14 01:11 PM)

#2231605 - 02/14/14 04:13 PM Re: going to concert with teacher [Re: adultpianist]
Peter K. Mose Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Toronto, Ontario
Here in Canada we don't ask anyone to join us at a piano recital a year in advance. Maybe 3 weeks at most. Even if Mme Grimaud is a deity.

#2231635 - 02/14/14 05:28 PM Re: going to concert with teacher [Re: Peter K. Mose]
adultpianist Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Peter K. Mose
Here in Canada we don't ask anyone to join us at a piano recital a year in advance. Maybe 3 weeks at most. Even if Mme Grimaud is a deity.

The fact of the matter is, the concert hall have booked Helene a year ahead and are already selling the tickets and at least half of the tickets have been sold. I do not understand why they think that people can presume so far in advance that they will be able to attend a year from now.

#2231648 - 02/14/14 05:56 PM Re: going to concert with teacher [Re: adultpianist]
TimV Offline

Loc: New York, NY

Originally Posted By: adultpianist
I do not understand why they think that people can presume so far in advance that they will be able to attend a year from now.

Well, that's just the way it is, I guess. If there's someone who I really want to see, I buy tickets as early as I can. Then I put it on my calendar and try to plan around it. Worst case scenario I'll give the tickets away, or sell them, or some venues have a ticket exchange facility.

I may have given away one or two sets of tickets in the last 10 years. But it engenders goodwill in the recipients, and I find they repay in kind, since I don't accept cash from friends for that kind of thing.
Bach WTC 1 #7
Brahms Op 76 #1, Op 118 #5
Debussy Suite Bergamasque

#2231741 - 02/14/14 10:38 PM Re: going to concert with teacher [Re: adultpianist]
Tubbie0075 Offline
500 Post Club Member

I have been wanting to invite my ex-violin teacher to violin concert but I felt the same. Of course I was prepared to pay for both seats. I never did...

I don't have the same problem with my current piano teacher because he absolutely cannot stand Valentina Lisitsa! Plus, he's so busy I wouldn't need to ask. Though, I went to his piano recitals several times, heard him on radio, on TV etc. In a way, I've been to concerts with him. It's just that he didn't need to pay for a seat :-)

#2231838 - 02/15/14 01:48 AM Re: going to concert with teacher [Re: Polyphonist]
HalfStep Offline

Loc: Boston, MA
Originally Posted By: Polyphonist
If you're going to ask her to come to an expensive concert then you really have to offer to pay for both seats.

That's what I was thinking too. Also, I don't find any harm in being friendly with your teacher. I consider my teacher a great friend.

#2231975 - 02/15/14 10:44 AM Re: going to concert with teacher [Re: HalfStep]
adultpianist Offline
500 Post Club Member

I had my lesson today and menioned that I had heard about this concert next year. I said I asked someone to go with me but they were not going to book for something a year from now. I then said to my teacher, I do not want to go on my own this time. Without any prompting from me, she said what day is it and I said Saturday and then she said "Well it is a long time since I went to a concert so I will go with you". So she took my phone number and the details of the concert and said she will look at the concert hall to think of the best seats to book. She said front row is not good because you are too near the stage and would have to look up and get a pain in your neck. This is true because some concert halls have the front row seats very close to the stage. The particular hall that this concert is at is very near and the last time I went to hear an opera singer I had front row and had to put my head up and back to look and it was uncomfortable. However, I said to my teacher, I like front row to be near the pianist because I can clearly see how they use the pedal, how they put their fingers etc and if you are too far away you cannot see these things and it is important for me and my development to see how professional pianists perform. My teacher also said that sound carries in a hall and its better for sound to sit further back. Anyway she has agreed to come which is cool. We will both be paying for our tickets seperately so no offering to pay for her as a bribe lol

#2232060 - 02/15/14 01:19 PM Re: going to concert with teacher [Re: adultpianist]
Tubbie0075 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Good for you :-)

For concertos, I generally like to sit around 1/3 from the stage and 1/3 from the left, depending on the concert hall. That way, I get to see and hear the soloist clearly but also get to hear the entire orchestra a bit more evenly.

#2232078 - 02/15/14 01:54 PM Re: going to concert with teacher [Re: Tubbie0075]
adultpianist Offline
500 Post Club Member

This is solo piano. No orchestra

#2232170 - 02/15/14 05:12 PM Re: going to concert with teacher [Re: adultpianist]
Tubbie0075 Offline
500 Post Club Member

They call these piano recitals. Concert usually means music played with/by an orchestra.

#2232196 - 02/15/14 06:02 PM Re: going to concert with teacher [Re: Tubbie0075]
adultpianist Offline
500 Post Club Member

Yes I do know lol

Not sure why I put concert. It has been a long busy week and my brain had turned to mush lol

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
A REALLY Indirect Blow Action
by Steve Cohen
Today at 09:01 AM
Bone chilling ending to pieces
by lacrymosa85
Today at 08:44 AM
help with finger numbers in this piece...
by PianoKimmy
Today at 05:35 AM
Most Difficult?
by SiFi
Today at 01:21 AM
What is most common size wire to break?
by Ed McMorrow, RPT
Today at 12:19 AM
Who's Online
118 registered (3mb3r4, accordeur, ajames, Al LaPorte, 38 invisible), 1313 Guests and 16 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76237 Members
42 Forums
157600 Topics
2314942 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission