2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
24 members (AlkansBookcase, cmoody31, dh371, Fried Chicken, 20/20 Vision, admodios, clothearednincompo, crab89, 6 invisible), 1,223 guests, and 304 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#2231189 02/13/14 10:02 PM
doremi Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
More and more DPs have an iPad app, e.g. for easily operating the P-255 at 0:56 into this video http://youtu.be/tz1I-gmD8kE

Anyone here uses an iPad with his/her DP?

I am 'doremi' because I play scales smile
My teacher is 'domisol' because he plays chords shocked
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
I've started using an iPad in order to help with learning new songs.

There's a great app called 'Audio Stretch' which allows you to load in an MP3 and scroll through its waveform with your finger. If you touch and hold an area it plays continuously, and is fantastic for working out the voicing of chords.

As for an iPad to control the DP itself, I agree, it's quite a cool bonus feature.

Cheers,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
I tested iPad and Google Nexus 10 to read pdf score - as emergency it's OK, but for daily usage it's too small. Will have to wait for 13" models.

Yamaha NP-V80 (sold)
Yamaha DGX640 (sold)
Kawai CL-36
Pianoteq Standard + Intel NUC DC3217BY + Sennheiser HD598 + Fostex PM0.4n + NI Audio 2
N
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
N
I use ForScore, along with a PageFlip Cicada (via Bluetooth) on my iPad to turn the pages of my scores. I use Scanner Pro to scan the scores onto the iPad. Works great!

I also occassionally use Yamaha's NoteStar app which allows you to "play along with the band".

Bert
[Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image]
M
M
Originally Posted by newbert
I use ForScore, along with a PageFlip Cicada (via Bluetooth) on my iPad to turn the pages of my scores. I use Scanner Pro to scan the scores onto the iPad. Works great!

I also occassionally use Yamaha's NoteStar app which allows you to "play along with the band".

How does the ForScore/PageFlip work, exactly? I looked into it briefly before but it seems that you still end up with a PDf of music that is too small to read or if you zoom in then there has to be some way to scroll right/left and up/down hands-free.

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
doremi Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Kawai James
...As for an iPad to control the DP itself, I agree, it's quite a cool bonus feature.

The bonus feature may be an essential feature for a 2-keyboard rig with the top keyboard covering (part of) the control surface of the bottom keyboard, as the iPad controlling the bottom keyboard may be put on the music rack of the top keyboard, for example. DPs with their 88 keys and other long keyboards (VPC1) are often used as bottom keyboards, and hence will benefit from such a control app/iPad.

Nice iPad apps all around, such as backing track apps and stuff. IIRC, there are 13" and even larger tablets.

I am 'doremi' because I play scales smile
My teacher is 'domisol' because he plays chords shocked
N
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
N
Originally Posted by Morodiene

How does the ForScore/PageFlip work, exactly? I looked into it briefly before but it seems that you still end up with a PDf of music that is too small to read or if you zoom in then there has to be some way to scroll right/left and up/down hands-free.

The PageFlip communicates with the iPad via Bluetooth. You can turn pages in ForScore (left to right) just by touching the right or left side of the iPad screen. The PageFlip Cicada takes the place of touching the screen. You step on the right pedal and the screen flips to the next page. Step on the left pedal and you go to the previous page. ForScore works with PDF's which I generate by scanning them into the iPad using Scanner Pro.

If the screen size/score is too small for viewing in portrait mode, you can do one of two things: Either turn the iPad to landscape and configure ForScore to "flip" the page every half-page, OR Scan in only half of each page at a time using Scanner Pro, so that each printed page equals 2 PDF pages. I personally use neither of these methods as the full-page score is clear enough for me in portrait mode.

Note: Apple will be releasing a larger screen (and more expensive iPad) in the next year or so, which might work well for this.

I also want to point out that ForeScore has many annotation functions, so that you can put clear, large notes/reminders in the score if you require them. However, the locations of those annotations do NOT follow the score when you switch from portrait to landscape and vice-versa.

I hope this helps.

Bert
M
M

The PageFlip communicates with the iPad via Bluetooth. You can turn pages in ForScore (left to right) just by touching the right or left side of the iPad screen. The PageFlip Cicada takes the place of touching the screen. You step on the right pedal and the screen flips to the next page. Step on the left pedal and you go to the previous page. ForScore works with PDF's which I generate by scanning them into the iPad using Scanner Pro.

If the screen size/score is too small for viewing in portrait mode, you can do one of two things: Either turn the iPad to landscape and configure ForScore to "flip" the page every half-page, OR Scan in only half of each page at a time using Scanner Pro, so that each printed page equals 2 PDF pages. I personally use neither of these methods as the full-page score is clear enough for me in portrait mode.

Note: Apple will be releasing a larger screen (and more expensive iPad) in the next year or so, which might work well for this.

I also want to point out that ForeScore has many annotation functions, so that you can put clear, large notes/reminders in the score if you require them. However, the locations of those annotations do NOT follow the score when you switch from portrait to landscape and vice-versa.

I hope this helps.
Thanks for clarifying. You know, the fact that they have music-recognition software and also software that can take scanned music and translate that to notes on a staff, so why don't they have something that can recognize where you are at in the music while playing? Total hands-free and feet-free playing laugh

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
N
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
N
Thanks for clarifying. You know, the fact that they have music-recognition software and also software that can take scanned music and translate that to notes on a staff, so why don't they have something that can recognize where you are at in the music while playing? Total hands-free and feet-free playing laugh

They do - sort of. Home Concert Extreme has a function where it recognizes where you are in a piece. It doesn't always work very well, and it's finicky about which MIDI files it works with. You also better not skip any notes (or play wrong ones) or improvise in anyway. If you do, it gets confused. It doesn't turn pages but highlights where you are in more of a scrolling manner. (I'm referring to the PC version.)

There's an iPad version of it, but I don't know how well it works.

Bert

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,164
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission