Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
Who's Online
122 registered (Anita Potter, 36251, accordeur, ando, 34 invisible), 1551 Guests and 18 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#2231708 - 02/14/14 09:22 PM Recital 33 --- February 15, 2014
AB Forum Recital Offline
1000 Post Club Member

PLEASE DO NOT POST IN THIS THREAD! USE THE DISCUSSION THREAD!

I am delighted to introduce our 33rd quarterly AB Forum “Beginners and Beyond” Recital! smile So, pull up a chair and have a listen.

I would like to take this opportunity to ask the audience to please refrain from commentary in this recital room.

A separate room has been provided for the purposes of intermezzo discussion. Please take any and all comments to the General Discussion Room.

Thank you!

In addition to the zip files linked below, mahlzeit has added a feature to his program that creates an online streaming player. Just click on the link to hear all the recital pieces without having to download the zip files:

Online Streaming Player

A template has been created for those who wish to provide individualized feedback:

Recital #33 Response Template

For the convenience of forum members, mahlzeit's program has normalized the files for consistent volume and standardized the ID3 tags in a collection of zip files. This makes it easier to create personal CDs and playlists.

These zip files have been posted at the following URLs:

Recital 33 Zip 1
Recital 33 Zip 2
Recital 33 Zip 3
Recital 33 Zip 4
Recital 33 Zip 5
Recital 33 Zip 6
Recital 33 Zip 7
Recital 33 Zip 8

And here's the link to Sam S.'s terrific ABF recital index, that allows you to browse through and search for pieces in all of our past recitals:

AB Forum Recital Index

Let me express my greatest thanks to some very special people: mr_super-hunky for coming up with the idea of our online recitals, which have proven to be more successful than any of us ever dreamed; LaValse for hosting the recitals for so long and then devoting hours of programming trouble-shooting making the transition to Frank's servers; Frank for agreeing to host the recital now that it's gotten so big; Copper for trouble-shooting help and the Order of the Red Dot; Sam S. for his terrific AB Forum Recital Index and also devoting hours to programming trouble-shooting; and last but not least, mahlzeit for writing the absolutely fantastic web-based recital program that we are using. THANK YOU MAHLZEIT!!! heart

AGAIN: DO NOT REPLY OR POST ON THIS THREAD!!

(ads P/S)

Petrof Pianos

#2231711 - 02/14/14 09:27 PM Re: Recital 33 --- February 15, 2014 [Re: AB Forum Recital]
AB Forum Recital Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Performer's name:Andy Platt
Experience:Many years of noodling, 3.5 years of lessons
Direct music link:click to download
Title of piece:Sonata 20 in G Major, Opus 49 No. 2
Composer:Ludwig van Beethoven
Duration:08:00
Source of music:Beethoven Piano Sonatas, Nos. 16-24: Alfred Masterwork Edition
Instrument used:Kawai K3
Recording method:Zoom H1 and Audacity
Technical feedback wanted:Yes
Additional info:This is one of Beethoven's simpler sonatas - supposedly he didn't want it published but his brother sent it to a publisher, along with the other Opus 49 sonata.
Thank you for that! It has just two movements - the first, Allego ma non troppo is quite lively and full of runs. The second, a little quieter and slower is a Minuet - it has an interesting pattern in that the theme is repeated identically three times, each followed by a quite different section. This provides variety within a stable structure.

I left this too late to record; it had already been out of my repertoire for a month when I tried to record it and it shows. The version I have isn't bad, but it could be better. In particular there are some sloppy runs, hands not together at all times and there is a very messy 16th note section in the second movement.

And yes, again, my piano needs tuning - but with the winter we have had, the heat has been running almost non stop and it's not going to get a tuning until we're over that!

#2231712 - 02/14/14 09:28 PM Re: Recital 33 --- February 15, 2014 [Re: AB Forum Recital]
AB Forum Recital Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Performer's name:Monica K.
Experience:9 1/2... yikes, I ought to be better than this by now...
Video link:http://youtu.be/iaPkErJtpfs
Home page link:http://www.youtube.com/pianomonica
Title of piece:Lamentations of the Heart
Composer:Philip Wesley
Duration:04:37
Source of music:Sheet music
Instrument used:Mason & Hamlin A
Recording method:Zoom H4
Additional info:Last fall I had the good fortune to attend a concert by Philip Wesley and Joseph Akins. I wasn't that familiar with their work, though I had heard occasional pieces on the Whisperings internet radio station. But when Wesley started playing this piece, after about ten seconds I just knew I had to learn it, and I spent much of the remainder of the song thinking "Please don't be too hard! Please don't be too hard!"

The sheet music was a little intimidating, so I tackled learning the piece differently than my usual inefficient method of 'just play the danged thing through start to finish.' Instead I put in hours with the metronome and worked on tricky measures repeatedly.

I should note that the sheet music transcription is very close, but not identical, to the version on Wesley's recording. The differences are minor, but the piece was hard enough for me that I didn't feel up to figuring out the variations by ear. So what you're hearing is true to the sheet music rather than the recorded piece.

Lunch was an Indian Butter Chicken and Rice TV dinner.

#2231713 - 02/14/14 09:28 PM Re: Recital 33 --- February 15, 2014 [Re: AB Forum Recital]
AB Forum Recital Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Performer's name:Richard (zrtf90)
Title of piece:Sinfonia 1 with Invention 8
Composer:Bach
Duration:02:27
Instrument used:Kawai CA95
Additional info:I've decided this year to submit pieces that have matured and relaxed a bit instead of taking them fresh off the rack with all the stress entailed in learning and recording by a set time. I've had a noticeably easier time getting this piece prepared.

I took on the sinfonia shortly after my return to the piano, about the time I joined Piano World, and wrapped it up that summer. I relearnt it again just before Christmas, much of it still ingrained. It's been a wonderful companion over the last few weeks and makes a great finish after a hard day's practise or a gentle starter at the weekends.

As it was over quite quickly I decided as rapidly to add a two part invention on the end of it, probably not my best decision this year. I plumped for an old favourite, the number 8, which I've known for years and overhauled only a few months ago.

#2231714 - 02/14/14 09:29 PM Re: Recital 33 --- February 15, 2014 [Re: AB Forum Recital]
AB Forum Recital Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Performer's name:wouter79
Experience:4.5 years
Title of piece:Ballade, op.118 no.3
Composer:Johannes Brahms
Duration:04:37
Source of music:memorized sheet music.
Instrument used:Grotrian-Steinweg 189
Recording method:DPA4060, EMU0404, Jecklin Disk
Additional info:This is the ballade out of op.118 "Six pieces for Piano". He completed it in 1893, 59 years old, and dedicated it to Clara Schumann, the wife of his best friend and well known composer Richard Schumann. The year before, his sister and a close friend had died.
Basically the form is ABA and it's in G minor. The A part is allegro energico and fortissimo (and is by itself also in CDC form). The B part is has a beautiful melody and is and softer, not strictly slower but I like it a bit slower as it brings out the beautiful appogiaturas better.
I like Brahms for his beautiful thick chords and nice progressions. These thick chords however make it extremely hard to offset the melody, particularly if Brahms asks for forte through a full section and accents for extra power. I try to do this using as little pedal as possible (only to get the accents) and by playing only the outside of the thick chords fortissimo, a tough call when playing allegro energico with hands jumping around to play parts of the thick chords.
The recording went a bit weird, not like the best of 10 or so that I did before. I worked on this for almost 9 months. Then I made one recording at 100bpm which was good but I thought too slow and heavy. So I practiced 2 more weeks and then made this recording at 120bpm. So this is the basically the first take.
Regarding the speed, 120bpm was the bare minimum that I could live with. I'd love to have it faster but even at my minimum there were already too many mistakes for my taste.
I thought the piece could use a bit more resonance from my room and a bit more agressive sound so I removed the rug under the piano. Makes a lot of difference.
Maybe someone can recommend me a good difficulty rating table apart from the standard RCM or AB-RSM. I thought this piece was hard and didn't want to start at it but my teacher assured me I was ready for it. RCM says it's comparible (level 11) to the Rachmaninov I did. But for me this was at least 50% harder, it is way more notes, is hard throughout (Rach is only comparable in its middle section) and has much more harmonic changes all the way.

#2231715 - 02/14/14 09:30 PM Re: Recital 33 --- February 15, 2014 [Re: AB Forum Recital]
AB Forum Recital Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Performer's name:PikaPianist
Video link:http://youtu.be/XpshjnKVa80
Title of piece:Nocturne No. 5 in Bb major
Composer:John Field
Duration:03:36
Source of music:IMSLP + Alfred Masterwork edition
Instrument used:Bosendorfer 185
Recording method:iPhone 5s
Additional info:This recording is a rather unique version of John Field's Nocturne No.5 in Bb major.

Field's first version of this lovely nocturne is the most commonly played version on Youtube. It is very simple, short and sweet, only 2 pages in sheet music. (e.g. http://youtu.be/D4EhFkR8hSU). I've always felt that it had so much potential to develop further musically. So when I stumbled upon this second version named 'Alfred Masterworks edition' (http://youtu.be/BrkjDjjNvFI) I couldn't help but want to record this piece a second time.

However, while some additional passages in the second version are wonderful, there are certain embellishments in it that I do not prefer over the first version. So I've decided to play a special rendition of this nocturne by amalgamating the two versions, keeping the things I like and omitting the things I don't like. Furthermore, I've slightly altered some of the embellishments here and there. (I especially like the 7 against 6 at 1:58).

Lastly, I was lucky enough to record this piece in a piano shop on a Bosendorfer!! The action was buttery smooth and capable of effortless pianissimos. The tone is sublime, as expected. It's a shame that I only had my little iPhone to capture the sound of this awesome piano.

#2231718 - 02/14/14 09:36 PM Re: Recital 33 --- February 15, 2014 [Re: AB Forum Recital]
AB Forum Recital Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Performer's name:George Schiro
Experience:20+ years, self-taught
Title of piece:Heartache
Composer:Schiro, George
Duration:03:29
Source of music:mood music, improvised
Instrument used:Yamaha Clavinova
Recording method:audacity
Additional info:just a feeling

#2231719 - 02/14/14 09:37 PM Re: Recital 33 --- February 15, 2014 [Re: AB Forum Recital]
AB Forum Recital Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Performer's name:dannylux / Mel
Experience:8 years since returning. Lots as a kid
Title of piece:Coleridge-Taylor Three Fours Op.71 No.2
Composer:Samuel Coleridge-Taylor
Duration:02:54
Source of music:Sheet music, IMSLP
Instrument used:Yamaha P140
Recording method:Piano line-out to computer sound card line-in. Audacity. No edits.
Technical feedback wanted:No
Additional info:Samuel Coleridge-Taylor (1875-1912), not to be confused with the English Romantic poet, Samuel Taylor Coleridge, was an African-British composer.

He wrote the Valse Suite, Three Fours in 1909. The second piece in the suite is in simple ABA form, first melody, second melody, and return to the first melody, but starts with a small introduction and ends with a coda.

The piece is essentially all chords, and the melody is in the top note of the chords, followed by an echo in the left hand.

After practicing this piece for a while and feeling it was about ready, I recorded it. To my shock, it sounded absolutely horrible! You couldn't hear the melody at all and the chords sounded blocky and harsh. So back to work, and the result was this take, in which the melody is quite clear. Hope you like it.

#2231720 - 02/14/14 09:38 PM Re: Recital 33 --- February 15, 2014 [Re: AB Forum Recital]
AB Forum Recital Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Performer's name:Mr Super Hunky
Experience:9 years of hack-O-noodling
Title of piece:Beyond Violette
Composer:Mr Super-Hunky
Duration:03:38
Source of music:Well, I did it again. I hacked up another one. I started with a tune by Stephen Moccio called 'Violette' and re-noodled it by adding my own sections and improvisations. I'm not exactly sure at what point a 'cover' becomes an entirely new piece but I'm just about at that point.
Instrument used:Roland KR-7 (Next time I'm back on the mighty Mason)
Recording method:This is pathetic. Performed on a digital but recorded acoustically through the headphones. I'm that cheap!
Additional info:Lunch was a few gulps of homemade second fermented Kefir made with raw milk. I also had a broccoli Florette and fermented Sauerkraut salad using fresh yogurt as dressing.

I've got all natural, super strong probiotics coming out of my nose here!

#2231735 - 02/14/14 10:33 PM Re: Recital 33 --- February 15, 2014 [Re: AB Forum Recital]
AB Forum Recital Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Performer's name:sinophilia (Diana)
Experience:almost 2 years
Video link:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zwX8mKtKso
Title of piece:Little Prelude BWV939
Composer:Johann Sebastian Bach
Duration:00:58
Source of music:sheet music
Instrument used:Casio Privia PX-135 and Yamaha U1
Recording method:Digital to Garageband, iPad mini
Additional info:It's decided: I love Bach, even he makes me struggle! Surprisingly enough, I didn't suffer much with this piece; either it's actually easier than the minuets or I'm getting the hang of it. As usual, I play it slower than required, and the digital does not sustain the bass notes long enough, but other than that I'm quite happy with my work on this one. I even managed to record it on the acoustic too! Looking forward to more and more Bach in 2014.

#2231736 - 02/14/14 10:35 PM Re: Recital 33 --- February 15, 2014 [Re: AB Forum Recital]
AB Forum Recital Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Performer's name:SwissMS/Doris
Experience:5 years as adult, a couple as a child
Video link:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NaCqk4p8YWE
Title of piece:Venetian Boat Song Opus 30 #6
Composer:Mendelssohn
Duration:03:14
Instrument used:Bechstein 160 Grand
Recording method:Zoom Q3HD
Additional info:I originally heard this in the Mendelssohn recital, and fell in love with it. I am glad I finally worked it into my job stack. This forum is such a wealth of repertoire ideas!

I started this piece in December, so I still have some refining to do. This is the kind of piece I can really immerse myself in and let the feelings flow. I just love it!

#2231738 - 02/14/14 10:36 PM Re: Recital 33 --- February 15, 2014 [Re: AB Forum Recital]
AB Forum Recital Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Performer's name:Jazzwee
Experience:9 Years
Title of piece:Wave
Composer:Antonio Carlos Jobim
Duration:05:29
Source of music:Lead Sheet Improvised
Instrument used:Nord Piano 88 and the rest of the band, Drums, Electric Bass (Fretless) and Acoustic guitar (Rhythm only)
Recording method:Live - Zoom H4 was behind the band with the speakers facing away so the piano sounds weak.
Additional info:This was performed a day before the opening of the Recital so I suppose it's the worst red dot scenario, since you can only do it once. And of course there's never a rehearsal.

Also, the music is improvised so what comes out is unpredictable. Fortunately, I thought the whole gig was good. This was the only tune where the singer wasn't cutting into my solo with comments.

Now the tune itself is quite difficult actually. Complex chord changes moving very fast and a very difficult piano key (D).

#2231739 - 02/14/14 10:36 PM Re: Recital 33 --- February 15, 2014 [Re: AB Forum Recital]
AB Forum Recital Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Performer's name:Peyton
Experience:40+ years
Video link:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hzZl8uvlSA&feature=c4-overview&list=UUfm6_6G1n0SmMfPJ3ojblZg
Home page link:http://www.peytonart.com
Title of piece:Mazurka Op. 17 No. 4
Composer:Chopin
Duration:04:17
Instrument used:Pramberger grand
Recording method:Metro
Additional info:I worked on and recorded this piece a number of years ago and thought I would go back to it and see if I could improve on how I had played it. I listened to Artur Rubinstein's interpretation quite a bit and even played along with his recording. But... when it came time to record it and I listened to what I had done it was terrible. He played a good deal slower than I which I like but when I try to play that slow it just does not work. I guess I'm no Rubinstein... sigh. So here is my faster version...

#2231740 - 02/14/14 10:37 PM Re: Recital 33 --- February 15, 2014 [Re: AB Forum Recital]
AB Forum Recital Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Performer's name:Sam S
Experience:6th year back after a 30+ year hiatus
Video link:http://youtu.be/7NQPbPqVm0s
Title of piece:Preludes Book 1 Number 8 - La Fille aux cheveux de lin
Composer:Debussy, Claude
Duration:03:10
Instrument used:1927 Bechstein Model L
Additional info:In English "The Girl with the Flaxen Hair".

I love this piece. Its very quiet, never getting above mf, and sort of flows and blends and evolves over time.

Its mostly pentatonic, in Debussy's own clever style. Don't let the key signature scare you - 6 flats!

Its also marked "sans rigeur" - without exactness - and that is how I played it!

The video has the sheet music...

#2231744 - 02/14/14 10:41 PM Re: Recital 33 --- February 15, 2014 [Re: AB Forum Recital]
AB Forum Recital Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Performer's name:earlofmar
Experience:14 months
Video link:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CtNsYjNohiQ&feature=youtu.be
Title of piece:Bagatelle Op 119, No 9
Composer:Beethoven
Duration:00:59
Source of music:Keith Snell Essential Repertoire From the 17th, 18th & 19th Centuries
Instrument used:Yamaha P105 with Galaxy Vintage D
Recording method:Audacity
Additional info:I started learning this piece eight months into my journey and thought then it was probably the hardest thing I had learned up to that point....ah memories.
It's also my first piece where I play using the pedal (as if using the hands isn't hard enough).

#2231745 - 02/14/14 10:41 PM Re: Recital 33 --- February 15, 2014 [Re: AB Forum Recital]
AB Forum Recital Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Performer's name:timmyab
Experience:20 years
Title of piece:Song without words op 53 no 1
Composer:Mendelssohn
Duration:03:39
Source of music:Urtext sheet music
Instrument used:Yamaha ydp s30
Recording method:Audacity
Additional info:I recorded this for the SWW recital a few months ago but it wasn't needed.

#2231746 - 02/14/14 10:41 PM Re: Recital 33 --- February 15, 2014 [Re: AB Forum Recital]
AB Forum Recital Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Performer's name:Amaruk
Experience:I have no clue...
Video link:http://youtu.be/xU912ylv8f8
Title of piece:O Mio Babbino Caro
Composer:Giacomo Puccini
Duration:01:53
Instrument used:Roland LX-15 digital piano
Recording method:Directly to a USB stick on the piano (.wav file).
Additional info:This is one of my favorite opera arias and I really wanted to try and play it as a piano solo. It was great fun to learn how to play it. The hardest part in the learning process was to play it at this slow tempo as I initially played it faster. I also had a lot of fun creating the YouTube video of my performance (see link above).

#2231748 - 02/14/14 10:41 PM Re: Recital 33 --- February 15, 2014 [Re: AB Forum Recital]
AB Forum Recital Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Performer's name:torquenale (Alessandra)
Experience:Some years as kid-teen; started again October 2011
Title of piece:Sonata in F Major K78
Composer:Domenico Scarlatti
Duration:01:37
Source of music:At the piano with Scarlatti - Alfred Publishing
Instrument used:Apollo upright
Recording method:Zoom H4n and Audacity
Additional info:I butchered this lovely piece at the live recital last June; this time it's far from perfect but a lot better!
Tempo could be faster but I also like this way.

#2231749 - 02/14/14 10:42 PM Re: Recital 33 --- February 15, 2014 [Re: AB Forum Recital]
AB Forum Recital Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Performer's name:Jazztpt (Russ)
Experience:38+
Video link:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZjKtGxoa8A
Title of piece:For Russell
Composer:Jazztpt
Duration:03:19
Source of music:Original composition
Instrument used:Roland hp507
Recording method:direct to Piano and then Audacity to convert to MP3
Additional info:For Russell - This is one of a series of compositions dedicated to members of my family. Russell was my 1st grandson and was born last April.

#2231750 - 02/14/14 10:42 PM Re: Recital 33 --- February 15, 2014 [Re: AB Forum Recital]
AB Forum Recital Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Performer's name:Riddler (Ed)
Experience:Two or three years of lessons as a kid; three years of jazz lessons as an adult; and a lifetime of noodling and playing by ear.
Home page link:http://edsjazzpianopage.blogspot.com/
Title of piece:Aranjuez
Composer:Rodrigo
Duration:02:28
Source of music:Sheet music, plus.
Instrument used:Yamaha P-120
Recording method:Pianoteq / Audacity
Additional info:This is an arrangement of Aranjuez Con Tu Amor, which is a songification of the Adagio movement of Concerto de Aranjuez, by Joaquin Rodrigo. The concerto is a gorgeous, heart breaking piece written for guitar and orchestra. It was composed in Paris, in 1939. (Think about that for a minute.....). I heard it performed live in Orlando, many years ago, and I was totally bowled over. It has been performed often by the world's greatest guitarists and orchestras, and as a vocal, it has been recorded by guys like Carreras, Domingo, Pavarotti, and Bocelli. It has also been recorded by many jazz musicians such as Miles Davis, the Modern Jazz Quartet, Paul Desmond, Chet Baker, Chick Corea, Hiromi Uehara, and others. I bought two piano arrangements of it, but did not like either one. I finally found a simple free arrangement online, and fleshed it out a bit.

My feeble attempts do not begin to convey the dramatic power of this work; if you are not familiar with it I would strongly encourage you to ignore my version, and listen to the real thing instead.

Whatever the composer's original intention was (and there is some controversy about that), to me, this piece tells a powerful story about fate knocking at the door, and the triumph of the human spirit.

#2231751 - 02/14/14 10:43 PM Re: Recital 33 --- February 15, 2014 [Re: AB Forum Recital]
AB Forum Recital Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Performer's name:Greener / Jeff
Experience:Sporadically for years. Full on since joining PW.
Title of piece:Nocturne in Eb Major
Composer:Chopin
Duration:03:37
Source of music:Sheet music -- many grades/years beyond my sight reading ability -- memorized
Instrument used:Heintzman (Norman) Acoustic Upright
Recording method:Piano ---> 2 mics ---> pre-amp ---> audacity ---> you
Additional info:I've enjoyed many variations and unique interpretations of this work. This is one more. For me it is a piece that will always require further development. At this point, it has been in the funnel just over a year or so.

I may have erred on the side of being a little too quick with this recording. At least, compared with most other versions I've heard. I also realize that I am rushing in a couple of spots in this recording. Aside from that though, I am quite comfortable with and actually prefer this quicker tempo that cuts to the chase; perhaps forfeiting some of the drama.

I hope you like it and Thank you for listening.

About this work
Chopin composed his popular Nocturne in E-flat major, Op. 9, No. 2 when he was about twenty.

This popular nocturne is in rounded binary form (A, A, B, A, B, A) with coda, C. The A and B sections become increasingly ornamented with each recurrence. The Nocturne opens with a legato melody, mostly played piano, containing graceful upward leaps which become increasingly wide as the line unfolds. This melody is heard again three times during the piece. With each repetition, it is varied by ever more elaborate decorative tones and trills. A sonorous foundation for the melodic line is provided by the widely spaced notes in the accompaniment, connected by the damper pedal. The waltz-like accompaniment gently emphasizes the 12/8 meter, 12 beats to the measure subdivided into four groups of 3 beats each.

The nocturne is reflective in mood until it suddenly becomes passionate near the end. The new concluding melody begins softly but then ascends to a high register and is played forcefully in octaves, eventually reaching the loudest part of the piece, marked fortissimo. After a trill-like passage, the excitement subsides; the nocturne ends calmly.
--

#2231752 - 02/14/14 10:43 PM Re: Recital 33 --- February 15, 2014 [Re: AB Forum Recital]
AB Forum Recital Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Performer's name:MaryBee
Experience:Too many years on my own; past 5 years with a teacher.
Title of piece:Sarabande (Pour le piano)
Composer:Debussy
Duration:05:51
Source of music:http://imslp.org/
Instrument used:Charles Walter 1520 upright
Recording method:Tascam DR-08. Converted to MP3 using Audacity.
Additional info:This is probably the most harmonically complex piece that I have played for the recitals -- and therefore not exactly "easy listening". In fact, it was definitely not love-at-first-listen for me. But because it came highly recommended by my teacher, I decided to give it a try. Funny thing was, after the first play-through I was intrigued. And even after six months of work on it, I think I can still say that it is the most interesting piece I've learned yet.

On the technical side, there was a tough challenge in the middle: a section of 37 consecutive 7 chords with various roots and inversions. Learning that was fun! Tempo-wise, the performances that I listened to vary widely, with most taking it somewhat faster than I did, although there were a few that were much slower. I like the slower tempo because it allows time for all those full, rich chords to sink in, so I can really savor them. I still haven't mastered rolled chords, and there are several of them to be found here. This is something I'll be working on for quite a while yet, since they're starting to show up more often in the pieces that I'm learning.

While working on the interpretation, I had in my mind the ups and downs of an often-times stormy personal relationship. I felt in this piece periods of hope and trust along with disappointments and utter anguish, tempered by the beautiful gifts that were brought forth, and ending with hints of reconciliation and understanding which may yet come. I held this image for several months, but as I continued to play the piece, those ideas were either absorbed or they dissipated, and I was left, finally, with just the music to stand on its own.

#2231753 - 02/14/14 10:43 PM Re: Recital 33 --- February 15, 2014 [Re: AB Forum Recital]
AB Forum Recital Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Performer's name:newbert
Experience:Took Lessons for 2 years or so as a child, then stepped away from piano for 45 years or so. Picked it up again about 6 months ago.
Title of piece:Rocket To The Moon
Composer:Jim Brickman
Duration:02:42
Source of music:Sheet Music
Instrument used:Yamaha DGX-640 with Pianoteq Stage 4.5
Recording method:Pianoteq and Audacity
Additional info:This is my first recording that I've uploaded to Piano World. I like pop music and blues piano, but have a long way to go to play it decently. I want to learn to play-by-ear/improvise but am just getting started in that direction. This piece is from a Jim Brickman songbook. I don't like all of his music, but something about the harmonies in this piece drew me in. Plus, it was relatively easy to learn....8-)

-

#2231755 - 02/14/14 10:44 PM Re: Recital 33 --- February 15, 2014 [Re: AB Forum Recital]
AB Forum Recital Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Performer's name:ajames
Experience:7 months
Title of piece:Laura
Composer:Johnny Mercer
Duration:01:44
Source of music:Alfred's Adult All-in-one bonus piece
Instrument used:'69 Kawai 350
Recording method:Zoom H4n
Additional info:I liked this tune a lot more than I thought I would. Probably because it sounds good played slow (the only way I can play LOL). I tried using the pedal as marked and I didn't like it- it was too muddled. There is a technique to using the pedal in a more subtle way - I'm working on it smile

#2231756 - 02/14/14 10:45 PM Re: Recital 33 --- February 15, 2014 [Re: AB Forum Recital]
AB Forum Recital Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Performer's name:CarlosCC
Experience:4 years 11 weeks (self-learning since Dec2009)
Title of piece:Time Lapse
Composer:Ludovico Einaudi
Duration:05:15
Source of music:Played by memory. Source: "In a Time Lapse" music book.
Instrument used:Yamaha P85 (Grand Piano 2)
Recording method:Digital to PC
Additional info:This is my 5th piece from Einaudi's latest album. This one is different, more contemplative, and it was much harder to play and interpret than I initially thought. I realized that it demands a constant level of "abstraction" along the entire playing - can't find a better word -. Believe me, I had real battles to understand it...

I need to improve some details, but I've been quite busy and I didn't had time to feel all the music as I usually do. Btw, I'll try to fine-tune this piece to play it in our EPP2014, so, some of you will understand what I want to mean... And, my wife love this piece, so I had an extra incentive to try to play it.
Thanks for listening.

#2231757 - 02/14/14 10:45 PM Re: Recital 33 --- February 15, 2014 [Re: AB Forum Recital]
AB Forum Recital Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Performer's name:Peterws
Experience:Too many
Video link:http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=0xtOBWURLKM
Title of piece:Autumn Leaves
Duration:03:27
Source of music:Ear
Instrument used:DGX650
Recording method:Audio USB memory stick
Additional info:This just begs for a more structured approach. Like me (or someone else ) working out the phrases beforehand and linking them logically, instead of relying on stuff from the top o` my head. There`s no logic there . . . .

#2231758 - 02/14/14 10:46 PM Re: Recital 33 --- February 15, 2014 [Re: AB Forum Recital]
AB Forum Recital Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Performer's name:ladyaugustina
Experience:loosing track, a year or so as a kid, then the last 4 years picked it up again.
Title of piece:Sonatina Op. 36, No. 3
Composer:Clementi
Duration:04:44
Instrument used:piano at work
Recording method:cell phone
Additional info:I decided to take a piano class last semester because I was short one credit. Anyways, my teacher had me play this piece basically from August to December.

I found the first part of it(mostly the fist 2-3 minutes of it) to be extremely boring. This is why I skipped the repeats. The second half was a lot more fun to play. Which is probably why I started to rush, especially towards the end. I also skipped the middle section because I never could get the rhythm right.

One more thing, I spent a lot of time practicing this piece as I ended up missing multiple piano lessons close to my final exams due to my piano teacher canceling, a snow day (who would've thought that 6 inches of snow would close a college campus), and thanksgiving break. So I basically learned the last page and half by myself and still managed to get an A on the final!:)

I recorded this piece about 3 weeks before I took my final exam at the beginning of December. Hope you guys enjoy it!:)

#2231760 - 02/14/14 10:47 PM Re: Recital 33 --- February 15, 2014 [Re: AB Forum Recital]
AB Forum Recital Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Performer's name:dynamobt / Marilyn
Experience:10 years as a kid. Returning adult with a few years since returning
Title of piece:Piano Sonata Op 2 no 1 1st mvt
Composer:Beethoven
Duration:09:34
Source of music:G Henle
Instrument used:Mason & Hamlin BB
Recording method:Zoom H2n to Audacity
Additional info:Chobani Key Lime Yogurt and some almonds as lunch. As for the piece, I've been working on it for ages. This recording had to be in one take because of time. It's not my best. But not my worst either. I just needing to have this done. I'm sorry to be so rushed. I know your comments will be kind as usual. Thanks for listening to the whole thing those that did. I appreciate it.

#2231761 - 02/14/14 10:47 PM Re: Recital 33 --- February 15, 2014 [Re: AB Forum Recital]
AB Forum Recital Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Performer's name:Jake S
Experience:2 years
Title of piece:Chopin Prelude no.6 in B minor
Composer:Frederic Chopin
Duration:03:10
Source of music:Sheet music (memorised)
Instrument used:Kawai CA 93

#2231762 - 02/14/14 10:50 PM Re: Recital 33 --- February 15, 2014 [Re: AB Forum Recital]
AB Forum Recital Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Performer's name:Coldsalmon
Experience:About 5 years
Video link:http://youtu.be/Fv_dao38N5o
Title of piece:Sonata in D minor K 32 L 423
Composer:Domenico Scarlatti
Duration:02:49
Source of music:The Graded Scarlatti, edited by Marthe Morhange Motchane
http://www.amazon.com/Graded-Scarlatti-Belwin-Edition-Domenico/dp/0769239773
Instrument used:Yamaha U3
Recording method:Zoom H2, plus reverb added in Audacity
GoPro Hero3 camera
Additional info:My new (to me) piano was delivered on January 17, so I was very excited to submit to this recital. This piece shows off the piano's tone, as well as giving me some practice adjusting to its action so that I can play with sensitive dynamics.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
Christmas Header
Christmas Lights at Piano World Headquarters in Maine 2014
-------------------
The December Free Piano Newsletter
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
is my piano tunable
by d3c0
12/22/14 05:45 PM
SSHD running VST
by daz100
12/22/14 05:01 PM
do you recommend further service?
by ShannonG
12/22/14 04:34 PM
Is this now real enough?
by Philip_Johnston
12/22/14 04:21 PM
Quick question
by Phil Greenough
12/22/14 03:51 PM
Forum Stats
77398 Members
42 Forums
160066 Topics
2350626 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission