Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... 9 10 >
Topic Options
#2231710 - 02/14/14 09:23 PM Recital 33 --- General Discussion Room
AB Forum Recital Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Welcome to the General Discussion Room for the AB Forum “Beginners and Beyond” Recital #33!!!

Please use this room for any discussion of the pieces in Recital #33 that is taking place in the Main Recital Thread.

Discussions and replies can be posted at-will. Feel free to comment on any or all individual pieces. Some members offer comments on each submission individually; others offer general congratulations. Either approach is appropriate. Feel free to offer more specific, technical feedback if the participant had indicated that technical feedback was welcome.

For those who wish to comment on all pieces, a copy and paste template for offering feedback can be found here:

Recital #33 Response Template

Please use this thread only to discuss recital performances. If you have any comments or suggestions about ways to make the recital process better, please start a separate thread.

Enjoy the music! heart

(ads P/S)

Petrof Pianos

#2231717 - 02/14/14 09:33 PM Re: Recital 33 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]
dynamobt Online   content
500 Post Club Member

Loc: NH
I'm here to apologize for my submission. I did not take the opportunity to listen to the recording once I uploaded it. And come to find out, the unedited versions made it into the recital. There are two false starts before I play the 1st movement through. So sorry. I hope you can put up with the two false starts to make it listening to the piece.

I don't know what happened. I edited the false starts out in Audacity. But somehow they remain. Well, you get the full effect of my nerves and then sorting them out to play through to the end. Next time, I will listen to my uploaded recording. In my defense, I could not listen to the Mp3 on iTunes on my computer to catch the error. I listened to it on Audacity. iTunes has developed a problem on my computer and will not play recordings at all. I hope to get this fixed. I really am sorry. A bit embarrassed too. But it's done now.

Edited by dynamobt (02/14/14 09:46 PM)

#2231765 - 02/14/14 10:51 PM Re: Recital 33 --- General Discussion Room [Re: dynamobt]
carlos88 Online   content

Loc: Colorado
Originally Posted By: dynamobt
I'm here to apologize for my submission. I did not take the opportunity to listen to the recording once I uploaded it. And come to find out, the unedited versions made it into the recital. There are two false starts before I play the 1st movement through. So sorry. I hope you can put up with the two false starts to make it listening to the piece. ...

If I've often wondered if other people have some choice words so say to themselves between each restart, but you don't have any incriminating sentences in there :-)

You played the sonata wonderfully emotionally, from the first sharp attack gently slowing down, to the wonderful dynamics, subtle accompanying Alberti bass, wrapping up with an emotional ending.

#2231829 - 02/15/14 01:23 AM Re: Recital 33 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]
briansaddleback Offline

Loc: Irvine CA
The Entertainer by paul1971 I was entertained. Especially with the little subtle color you put at the end of the piece. I think you play well, The Entertainer is not an easy piece to get under the belt. Speed is fine , I rather like this piece err on the slow side than faster as I feel it is more authentic sounding that way. Only thing key to work on (for future rag time; not sure if you looking to play more ragtime) is rhythm. But looking forward to more Joplin smile

Edited by briansaddleback (02/15/14 01:24 AM)

Cloches a travers les feuilles
Minstrels

#2231836 - 02/15/14 01:41 AM Re: Recital 33 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]
briansaddleback Offline

Loc: Irvine CA
Monica K who played Lamentations of the Heart. I know why you choose these pieces. I dont have to explain it. I think we just know. Very good serene playing. Gentle and heartfelt. Music pieces like this I can listen to driving long distances while I have time to ponder on my life. Eerily takes me back to childhood feelings and life situations I have been through. It is music about hindsight. About what if I have done it differently. I can get lost in it. M
onica you are sweet from your posts and your video. I can see it touches you .. You play well and hopefully I can play that well after a short 9 years. I am maybe 7? 8 ? years and have nowhere the sense of touch and understanding of dynamics as yours in your piece. (That is why i just stick to Joplin lol )
Other youtubes I hear I am a bit impressed and such, but a lot of times I dont look into their other recordings. I am looking at your other piano pieces hoping you have more.
Only thingI can suggest , and it may not really be piano or technical, but this is a piece you can get lost in it emotionally, maybe bring that more through, perhaps videotaping or publicly playing one can hold that back due to shyness, but perhaps you already do that fully when playing it in your own personal time so maybe Im preaching to the choir.
I can tell at the end of the video, this piece is dear to you.

Edited by briansaddleback (02/15/14 01:48 AM)

Cloches a travers les feuilles
Minstrels

#2231851 - 02/15/14 02:51 AM Re: Recital 33 --- General Discussion Room [Re: briansaddleback]
SwissMS Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Switzerland
This a great line up of pieces, many of which are new to me. I am really enjoying listening!

First batch of reviews:

01. Andy Platt - Sonata 20 in G Major, Opus 49 No. 2 I really like this Sonata for its cheerfulness. You bring out that character well. Very smoothly and expressively played. Nice contrast between the first second movement.

02. Monica K. - Lamentations of the Heart I can see why you fell in love with this piece. It is very haunting and beautiful. You play it with a nice balance between the constant arppegiated accompaniment and the singing melody. Nice!

03. Richard (zrtf90) - Sinfonia 1 with Invention 8 You do sound very relaxed and confident with these pieces. I like the idea of presenting “old friends” in this recital occasionally. Your playing is very polished and expressive with these pieces that you have matured over time. Invention 8 is one of my favorite, and you gave it a bouncy light feeling.

04. wouter79 - Ballade, op.118 no.3 This is a side of Brahms that I had not heard before, somewhat strident, and forceful. It does sound quite difficult. You handled the urgency of it well, giving it lots of character. Well played!

05. PikaPianist - Nocturne No. 5 in Bb major What a gorgeous nocturne! Your version is quite rich, and the tone of the Bosendorfer is warm and exquisite.

06. George Schiro - Heartache Nice, soul searching improvisation, with a feeling of lost love or disappointment. Nicely done.

07. dannylux / Mel - Coleridge-Taylor Three Fours Op.71 No.2 This sounds like a lovely love song. Your balance between the hands turned out very nice, with the melody singing above the heaving chorded base. You gave the piece drama without becoming overpowering.

08. Mr Super Hunky - Beyond Violette Your description of the recording process had me curious about how this would sound. It worked well! Your expressive playing comes through beautifully. I don’t know the original piece, but your final result is lovely.

09. sinophilia (Diana) - Little Prelude BWV939 This such a pretty prelude. You handle the mordents quite well. The slow pace gives it a stateliness and fits the piece well. Well done.

10. SwissMS/Doris - Venetian Boat Song Opus 30 #6 As my piano teacher says “Keep working, it is getting there.”

European Piano Party July 4, 2015 in Switzerland!

#2231864 - 02/15/14 03:51 AM Re: Recital 33 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]
wouter79 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Everyone playing acoustic, as usual please give me a PM if you want my feedback

#2231865 - 02/15/14 03:57 AM Re: Recital 33 --- General Discussion Room [Re: SwissMS]
wouter79 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: SwissMS

04. wouter79 - Ballade, op.118 no.3 This is a side of Brahms that I had not heard before, somewhat strident, and forceful. It does sound quite difficult. You handled the urgency of it well, giving it lots of character. Well played!

Thanks SwissMS! Yes Brahms more common style is a bit less forceful. And yes, in fact a bit too difficult for me at this moment

#2231870 - 02/15/14 04:23 AM Re: Recital 33 --- General Discussion Room [Re: wouter79]
TrapperJohn Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Chocolatetown, USA
Originally Posted By: wouter79
Everyone playing acoustic, as usual please give me a PM if you want my feedback

I'll "defend to the death" your right to review only acoustic - but exactly what I would base that defense on I haven't the slightest clue...

You're missing a lot of excellent performances of some really great music, and doing somewhat of a disservice to that group of hard working, dedicated participants who would otherwise like to have your usual experienced, educated and thoughtful analysis of their submissions.

But, as I said, you have my support of your right - although it's a support without foundation...

Current favorite bumper sticker: Wag more, bark less.

#2231877 - 02/15/14 04:57 AM Re: Recital 33 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]
wouter79 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

John, thanks for your concerns. But relax, I'm not missing anything, I just do not want to attempt commenting on a DP performance.

Also let's keep this thread focused on the recital instead of this old discussion. You can always PM me on this or refer to the earlier thread.

#2231881 - 02/15/14 05:13 AM Re: Recital 33 --- General Discussion Room [Re: wouter79]
evamar Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Spanish living in UK
.... Other than feeling like having been slapped and spat on my face because I use a digital, nothing happens...

Thanks

Time you enjoy wasting was not wasted

#2231887 - 02/15/14 05:40 AM Re: Recital 33 --- General Discussion Room [Re: evamar]
Jayden Offline

Loc: Perth, Western Australia
14. earlofmar - Bagatelle Op 119, No 9 I really liked your part. The quicker sections sound tricky (from my humble beginner perspective). Although, In the slower sections it felt as though the notes trailed off a little too abruptly from what I heard though. Have you tried using the peddle to sustain those notes? I am a bit of a pedal whore though, so maybe it sounds too abrupt because I am used to hearing long sustains haha.

But all in all I liked it! Going to check that piece out actually.

Also I agree with the others. We shouldn't be differentiating digitals and acoustics. Digitals might be slightly different to acoustics, but no two acoustics are alike either.

Edited by Jayden (02/15/14 05:40 AM)

#2231889 - 02/15/14 05:43 AM Re: Recital 33 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]
paul1971 Offline

Wish I had an acoustic but best option was to get a dp, considering I have only just started playing, less outlay, no space etc. Being a beginners forum I would guess the majority here have a dp though I could be wrong. Looking forward to listening to some of these recitals when I finish work.

Briansaddleback: thanks for the constructive comments, I think the color at the end of entertainer was me panicking when I realised I was close to the end wink

#2231899 - 02/15/14 06:25 AM Re: Recital 33 --- General Discussion Room [Re: Jayden]
earlofmar Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Australia
Originally Posted By: Jayden
14. earlofmar - Bagatelle Op 119, No 9 I really liked your part. In the slower sections it felt as though the notes trailed off a little too abruptly from what I heard though. Have you tried using the peddle to sustain those notes? I am a bit of a pedal whore though, so maybe it sounds too abrupt because I am used to hearing long sustains haha.

Thanks for listening to my submission Jayden. I did try the second theme with pedal as written in my book but I didn't like the sound so I omitted it. I guess I like the crispness it gives but the downfall of the digital is it can be a bit too clean cut.

Listening to your piece you are showing remarkable ability for only two months. I am sure you are going to have a very bright piano future ahead of you.

#2231900 - 02/15/14 06:29 AM Re: Recital 33 --- General Discussion Room [Re: evamar]
earlofmar Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Australia
Originally Posted By: evamar
.... Other than feeling like having been slapped and spat on my face because I use a digital, nothing happens...

Thanks

I don't think the OP intended to offend those of us who use dp's.

#2231906 - 02/15/14 07:14 AM Re: Recital 33 --- General Discussion Room [Re: earlofmar]
evamar Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: earlofmar

Thanks

Sorry, it felt like that. Intended or not. I don't mind technical criticism, I'm not touchy about that as I'm only starting and know that I have to improve a lot. But discarding the efforts that a lot of people have put into learning simply because of the instrument they used (with or without choice in many cases) does seem offensive.

It would have been better to simply do not make any mention of this separation and for him to simply comment on the pieces he want to comment.

Edited by evamar (02/15/14 07:32 AM)

#2231907 - 02/15/14 07:15 AM Re: Recital 33 --- General Discussion Room [Re: Jayden]
TrapperJohn Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Chocolatetown, USA
Originally Posted By: Jayden
14. earlofmar - Bagatelle Op 119, No 9 ... I am a bit of a pedal whore though, so maybe it sounds too abrupt because I am used to hearing long sustains haha.

Is this defined in the "Urban Dictionary"?

I'm pretty much of an 8va whore myself, especially on repeats of the bridge...

Edit: all emphases mine after initial..

Edited by TrapperJohn (02/15/14 07:17 AM)

Current favorite bumper sticker: Wag more, bark less.

#2231908 - 02/15/14 07:20 AM Re: Recital 33 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]
TheodorN Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Helsingborg, Sweden
Didn't make it to this recital, though I wanted to, hope to put something up in the February (or March) bar instead.

Evamar, since you've been slapped and spat upon, because of using a digital, I'm going to even the odds and start with your performance. I namely am also among the unclean ones, the digital piano owners, and we ought to stick together. cool Besides, my DP is not as good as yours, at mimicking the feel of an acoustic.

Your Kawai CA65 sounds just great and if I hadn't known better, I wouldn't have been able to answer if asked whether you were playing an acoustic or a digital.

Enough of the technical issues, here is the review.

39. evamar - Pelagia's Song - With Sausage Fingers Remix Your performance was simply excellent. I don't know this piece, but I enjoyed your interpretation of it. Keep up the good work.

http://www.youtube.com/user/thenorbass1

#2231910 - 02/15/14 07:25 AM Re: Recital 33 --- General Discussion Room [Re: earlofmar]
peterws Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Northern England.
Originally Posted By: earlofmar

Thanks

Young Wouter has got a way with words. Got away with `em for too long! smile grin

Edited by peterws (02/15/14 07:27 AM)

""

#2231914 - 02/15/14 07:47 AM Re: Recital 33 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]
evamar Offline
500 Post Club Member

It's quite exciting to listen to all entries and see how huge a gap we have in styles and techniques.

As a beginner myself, I would like to comment on real beginners' entries, around 6 months. Unfortunately not a lot, but quite a few, which is brilliant. Cannot really comment on technique, but I can see all the effort you guys have put into them, thanks for participate and sharing our first steps!

22.- Newbert. Although you've only been playing for 6 months those 2 years learning as a kid still show! Really nice piece and very well played. I really like some of Brickman's pieces, and I was very happy to hear this one, thanks.

23.- ajames. I tried that same song from the same book. I found that the pedalling and phrasing are quite tricky, as well as managing to make the melody sound clear. Well done!

30. corysold. Less than a month playing and there you are! You can be proud!

32. StevenB. Amazed at what you have achieved in only one month! I know that you have musical background, but still very good! Bach is closer every day.

34. paul1971 . Fantastic, it's a really difficult piece. I have only given it a fast try to realise that I still need to work a lot before having a chance with it. You make it sound very good, I was humming with your playing. Keep them coming!

42. Jayden . Love it! Very airy piece that I'll be very happy to learn myself. Thanks for this discovery, it's absolutely lovely to hear and very well played.

I'll continue listening to all the rest of entries, love the variety in styles!

#2231918 - 02/15/14 07:59 AM Re: Recital 33 --- General Discussion Room [Re: TheodorN]
evamar Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: TheodorN
Didn't make it to this recital, though I wanted to, hope to put something up in the February (or March) bar instead.

Evamar, since you've been slapped and spat upon, because of using a digital, I'm going to even the odds and start with your performance. I namely am also among the unclean ones, the digital piano owners, and we ought to stick together. cool Besides, my DP is not as good as yours, at mimicking the feel of an acoustic.

Your Kawai CA65 sounds just great and if I hadn't known better, I wouldn't have been able to answer if asked whether you were playing an acoustic or a digital.

Enough of the technical issues, here is the review.

39. evamar - Pelagia's Song - With Sausage Fingers Remix Your performance was simply excellent. I don't know this piece, but I enjoyed your interpretation of it. Keep up the good work.

Thanks for your -too kind- feedback, TheodorN. The CA65 is a very good digital piano, quite a monster at my level, though.

Lots of hesitations, not synchronised hands and a few clunkers. But it was only a week's work, so still decent...

Looking forward to listening to your work next recital!

Yes, we the unclean ones need to stick together! We should only look at the effort we put and our willingness to improve our playing. We all love piano music here, I thought that was the main thing.

Edited by evamar (02/15/14 08:04 AM)

#2231931 - 02/15/14 08:53 AM Re: Recital 33 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]
Sam Rose Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Los Angeles
I was gonna pick a few favorites because I can't comment intelligently on all of these lovely submissions, but I decided to try to at least say something to each member individually.

01. Andy Platt - Sonata 20 in G Major, Opus 49 No. 2
Lovely, as usual Andy!

02. Monica K. - Lamentations of the Heart
I always enjoy your playing, and your M&H. And thanks for all the hard work you do putting this together. You don't get enough thanks.

03. Richard (zrtf90) - Sinfonia 1 with Invention 8
Great idea waiting and doing a piece that's under your fingers already. I should do that more, so my recordings sound more like this. So clear and musical. Great job!

04. wouter79 - Ballade, op.118 no.3
This stuff is so hard and dense, that I honestly couldn't make heads or tails out of it on one listen. Not to say you didn't play it well, but I'd need many listens to really get this piece and say something intelligent about it. I can say, however, that I enjoyed listening to it very much.

05. PikaPianist - Nocturne No. 5 in Bb major
Despite the iPhone recording limitation, you can make out the lovely Bosendorfer tone, and your very nice playing of this beautiful piece. Really nice!

06. George Schiro - Heartache
Cool improv stuff laugh

07. dannylux / Mel - Coleridge-Taylor Three Fours Op.71 No.2
Another dense and very difficult sounding piece. Nice job bringing out the melody!

08. Mr Super Hunky - Beyond Violette
I miss the BB smile
But you still sound great.

09. sinophilia (Diana) - Little Prelude BWV939
I listened to the acoustic one (I always prefer acoustic where available). Nice job! I've only been playing a bit longer than you, and I really need to do more Bach to develop better rhythmic discipline and articulation. You're wiser than I am smile

10. SwissMS/Doris - Venetian Boat Song Opus 30 #6
Love the Bechstein, but does it need a tuning? Nice piece of music, and nice playing! I really enjoyed it.

11. Jazzwee - Wave
I'm still not a jazz guy, but I think it's very cool what you can do with a group of musicians, while I have to play solo. By the way, we should meet again so I can play on your lovely Steinway O. I think I've improved very much since last time!

12. Peyton - Mazurka Op. 17 No. 4
I've never heard this piece before. I would never know it was Chopin without being told! It sounds nothing like the usual Chopin I listen to (Ballades, nocturnes, waltzes, etudes, preludes). This sounds almost like jazz! But Petyon's playing Chopin, so I'm in!

13. Sam S - Preludes Book 1 Number 8 - La Fille aux cheveux de lin
Debussy on a Bechstein! What's not to love? Lovely! smile

14. earlofmar - Bagatelle Op 119, No 9
Congrats on learning to use the pedal! It's really hard, but brings with it great rewards. I'm still learning. Sounds great!

15. timmyab - Song without words op 53 no 1
You sound fantastic. Your playing is so clear and crisp! I like your ornaments too. Lovely smile

16. Amaruk - O Mio Babbino Caro
Sounds great, and very cool video too! I like what you did with the performance of it on the Fazioli. You almost had me fooled there for a minute wink

17. torquenale (Alessandra) - Sonata in F Major K78
Lovely piece, which you really keep moving throughout! Some of the ornaments (I think they are trills) are kinda sluggish, probably because of your piano's ability to repeat notes quickly. But the overall feel of this piece if lovely, as is your performance.

18. Jazztpt (Russ) - For Russell
LOVED this performance, and your video was also really touching. Congrats on the 1st grandchild, and I hope he brings you and your family much joy in the coming years!

19. Riddler (Ed) - Aranjuez
I'm unfamiliar with the music, and I decided not to listen to any other performances of this, but I thought your attempt was far from feeble, and was quite dramatic. I very much enjoyed listening to it.

20. Greener / Jeff - Nocturne in Eb Major
I love this piece. I think you could slow it down a bit (as you suggested), but just playing this whole thing is quite a feat in itself. The quality of the recording is a bit muddled (not sure why; maybe wouter can help with that), but I still enjoyed listening to it. And this is the kind of piece that will definitely mature over time, so keep at it.

21. MaryBee - Sarabande (Pour le piano)
I like the tone of the Charles Walter piano. It suits this music nicely. I definitely wouldn't call this easy listening. It's very moody, but you capture that moodiness very well.

22. newbert - Rocket To The Moon
Ahhhh nice and easy listening. And an interesting contrast to the piece that came directly before yours. Very well played, and congrats on your first submission! It's amazing that you dropped it for 45 years and then came back to it. I'm inspired laugh

23. ajames - Laura
Another newbie! Congrats on getting over the fear of posting a recording of yourself. It will only get easier from here on. I enjoyed listening to your performance, and I hope we'll hear you again in the next recital so we can watch and listen as you get better and better!

24. CarlosCC - Time Lapse
Only one Einaudi piece in the recital? Is the world about to come to an end? wink
If only one member could represent Einaudi in the recital, I think you'd probably be his first choice. You always manage to make Einaudi both beautiful and interesting, even though his melodies are usually very simplistic. Great job, as usual smile

25. Peterws - Autumn Leaves
What a happy tune! This was a pleasure to listen to. I wish I could do that off the top of my head.

26. ladyaugustina - Sonatina Op. 36, No. 3
Sounds great, despite the cell phone recording. I should listen to and play more of this kind of upbeat music.

27. dynamobt / Marilyn - Piano Sonata Op 2 no 1 1st mvt
Your recording is clean (unlike mine), your piano is beautiful and in tune, and did I mention your playing is fantastic? What's not to love!! I'm happy you had that false start in there, or else I'd have nothing to temper my jealousy with. I think I'd pay to hear you play this live.

28. Jake S - Chopin Prelude no.6 in B minor
You're taking this piece slower than I've heard it in the past, but it sounds like you're more in control of each note because of that. Nice job!

29. Coldsalmon - Sonata in D minor K 32 L 423
Beautiful piece of music, delicately and sensitively played. I agree that your U3 sounds great too!

30. corysold - Cory Hallahan - Greensleeves
You just started playing less than a month ago and you're already participating in the recital?? You're very brave! Tell me more about what got you started playing piano. I'm always curious about what gets an adult to take on this fun and frustrating hobby. Your recording was really nice, especially if you've been playing under a month!! Your rhythm and evenness is really good for such a new player. I'm impressed, and I hope we get to see you again next recital laugh

31. Sand Tiger - Tracks in the Snow
Sorry to hear about your dad. frown I liked this piece as a tribute, because it has happy and sad themes, just like life does. I hope your positive memories of him will keep him alive inside you.

32. StevenB - Old German Dance
Another beginner taking the plunge with only a month of experience smile
You're doing really well for a month, and I enjoyed listening to your submission. I hope we'll see you next time!

33. Yamaha G3 & P-80 / Mike White - Zamba No. 10
I enjoyed this. Part of it reminded me of that FAO Schwartz tune "welcome to the world of fun." It reminded me of going there as a kid.

34. paul1971 - The Entertainer
Nice job! You're doing really well at 3 months. It sounds like you're really having fun, and that made this fun to listen to. I've gotta learn this one of these days.

35. JimF - Sung Outside A Prince's Door
Lovely performance. I can hear the wistful quality you were going for, and the Estonia sounds lovely.

36. CASINITALY (Cheryl) - Sonatina Op 36 N2 3rd movement
Hey Cheryl!! I haven't been on the forum much lately, so I haven't been seeing all of the achievements on your favorite thread, but it's clear that you've been practicing. I love how linear your progress is. Every single recital there's a noticeable improvement. This was no exception despite the couple of flubs in the performance. See you in four months smile

37. copper - Scenes From Childhood, The Poet Speaks
Nice job! Oh gosh, I'm running out of things to say here smile
I enjoyed listening.

38. lyricmudra - Nocturne in D-Flat Major, Op. 27 No. 2
As I commented on your youtube video, you are a wonderful pianist. I love this nocturne. Thanks a lot for contributing it.

39. evamar - Pelagia's Song - With Sausage Fingers Remix
Kudos to you for sticking with it. I know how frustrating piano can be at times. I liked your "sausage fingers remix." Hilarious laugh

40. BenPiano - Dahlonega
This is so cool! I love your compositions. They always sound so rich and full. After listening to this, I went back to listen to "The Secretary," which is still a favorite little melody of mine. I think you're just so natural at this.

41. jotur/Cathy turner - A Little Street Where Old Friends Meet
Fun, fun, fun!! No technical comments wink

42. Jayden (Jayden Traynor) - Locke'd Out Again
So many newbies this time around. I love it smile
Very cool effects with the keyboard. Nice job!

43. Ganddalf - A piece for me to play
Not boring at all! It grabbed me right away, so you certainly have achieved the effect you were looking to achieve without having to play those monstrous Chopin or Rachmaninoff pieces. I love the sound of this!

44. TrapperJohn - Beauty and the Beast (from Disney's "Beauty and the Beast")
Another piece I don't know, but should. I don't think I've ever seen the movie (I was a deprived child, I know). Well played!

45. Pathbreaker - Capriccio in F-sharp minor, Op. 76 no. 1
I've never heard this before, so I can't really say anything about the tempo. But I like how you've played it, if that counts for anything. It sounds quite difficult!

46. Inlanding - Glen - Four Threads
Very nice touch, and the O sounds wonderful!

47. (Was)TrueBeginner - Purity
Sounds lovely! Sounds like you also have the problem of other people making noise while you record. So cool that you can just sit down and bang out some music on demand. Go you!

48. joangolfing - Gavotte and Variations (Suite No. 14)
Sounds good, but it sometimes felt like a bit too much to handle. Get it? Get IT?? Seriously though, nice job smile

49. Ken. - Monk's Dream
I keep hearing a train whistle! hahaha is that just me, or is supposed to sound like that?

50. Mar_red - Theme from Schindler's List
Love this soundtrack and this movie. I like your performance of it too, and your piano sounds great. My only complaint is that it sounds too happy for such a sad movie. Make it sadder wink

51. ShiroKuro - Midwinter Memories
I was at NAMM recently, and I played the Ravenscroft piano. When I was done, I listened to a woman play a piece on the piano, and then when I looked at her name tag, it said "Michelle McLaughlin!" So then I told her I knew who she was and played a teeny bit of one of her pieces that I had planned to learn but never did. It was pretty cool! That said, nice job playing an entire piece of hers, which is much better than I was able to do when sitting in front of her smile

52. barbaram - Tequila Sunrise
Very cool piece, and you played it very well!

53. Ohio_Mark - Red Rose Rendezvous
I guess it can always be better, but I thought you sounded really good. Keep it up!

54. MrPozor - Prelude in E minor - BWV 941
Don't those voices get even harder to do when you're recording yourself? It's so hard! Keep up the good work, and thanks for reminding me I should play more Bach.

55. Sam Rose (Shmuel R) - Nocturne in C-Minor, No 21 (Posthumous)
Get a grip, dude. Piano is clearly not for you. Try the xylophone maybe?

56. carlos88 - Bach's Italian Concerto, First Movement
This piece is so happy! It makes me just want to dance! And the lessons you've been taking really show in your playing. Great end to this wonderful recital.

And there it is! I may have been one of the last to submit my recording to the recital, but for the first time ever, I'm the first to finish listening to and commenting on the entire recital. Yay me! laugh
Chopin Ballade no 1 in G minor Op.23
My Piano Diary: http://www.youtube.com/sirsardonic
♪ > $

#2231943 - 02/15/14 09:22 AM Re: Recital 33 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]
ShiroKuro Online   content
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: not in Japan anymore
Wow, Sam, you're fast! Thanks for listening and commenting! How neat that you met Michele McLaughlin!

To everyone else, congratulations on submitting a recording! I've just started to listen and it's really making my morning lovely! smile

#2231944 - 02/15/14 09:23 AM Re: Recital 33 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]
Peyton Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Maine
Wow...Sam, you should get some kind of medal... smile But I think you were too rough on #55.

#2231945 - 02/15/14 09:24 AM Re: Recital 33 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]
Chrisl Offline

Loc: Chicago, IL
I've only listened to a few so far. I was very much impressed by Monica's piece, simply beautiful piece and played very well!

Evamar, since you asked, nicely played for 14 mos!

Now Im disappointed in myself that I didn't post one ;( But anyway, I'm looking forward to listening to them all today.

New sound setup: Midi out to macbook, FW 800 to Metric Halo LIO 8 DAC to HD650's. Very Nice.

#2231948 - 02/15/14 09:38 AM Re: Recital 33 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]
evamar Offline
500 Post Club Member

Special thanks to Ed
19. Riddler (Ed) - Aranjuez.

The Concierto de Aranjuez brings me so many special memories that listening to your playing actually brought tears to my eyes.

Really special piece for any Spanish person with a few years on his back, so full of intense feelings and passions, and such a sad background story. Excellent playing, you really transmitted both the happiness, sadness and acceptance of it all.

Thank you. heart

#2231954 - 02/15/14 10:04 AM Re: Recital 33 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]
TheodorN Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Helsingborg, Sweden
01. Andy Platt - Sonata 20 in G Major, Opus 49 No. 2 Very good, a long piece and doesn't sound easy.

02. Monica K. - Lamentations of the Heart That was wonderful, very well played.

03. Richard (zrtf90) - Sinfonia 1 with Invention 8 Well done, nice flow in your playing.

04. wouter79 - Ballade, op.118 no.3 A lively piece and you played it excellently.

05. PikaPianist - Nocturne No. 5 in Bb major Well done.

06. George Schiro - Heartache Very good.

07. dannylux / Mel - Coleridge-Taylor Three Fours Op.71 No.2 This was very well played.

08. Mr Super Hunky - Beyond Violette This was very well played, the glissandos added a nice flavor to the piece.

09. sinophilia (Diana) - Little Prelude BWV939 I really enjoyed this prelude.

10. SwissMS/Doris - Venetian Boat Song Opus 30 #6 This was beautiful, fluid hand movements. Your grand piano is very elegant.

11. Jazzwee - Wave Great samba (or bossa nova?) Nevertheless, very well played.

12. Peyton - Mazurka Op. 17 No. 4 Good job with the mazurka. I like the tempo changes, how the piece suddenly picks up speed. Your piano is also elegant.

13. Sam S - Preludes Book 1 Number 8 - La Fille aux cheveux de lin Nicely done, played with feeling.

14. earlofmar - Bagatelle Op 119, No 9 Very well done, you played the right hand arpeggios seamlessly. The Yamaha P105 and Galaxy Vintage D seems a great combo.

15. timmyab - Song without words op 53 no 1 Don't know what words to use to describe your song without words, except simply splendid.

16. Amaruk - O Mio Babbino Caro As always with your pieces, wonderfully played and the video a work of art, actually the playing also.

17. torquenale (Alessandra) - Sonata in F Major K78 Nice job with this one.

18. Jazztpt (Russ) - For Russell Very good, loved the baby photos, and congratulations with your first grandchild.

19. Riddler (Ed) - Aranjuez Don't know this piece, but you played it vey well.

20. Greener / Jeff - Nocturne in Eb Major My favorite Chopin piece, and you played it perfectly, in my opinion. From a technical point of view, the recording sounded a little muffled.

http://www.youtube.com/user/thenorbass1

#2231963 - 02/15/14 10:15 AM Re: Recital 33 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]
corysold Offline

Thanks for the kind words Sam.

My mother-in-law is retiring as a music teacher and piano instructor. She offered my daughter (and later other children as they age) free piano lessons. I've always wanted to try the piano, so I asked if I could have lessons too. She obliged, we purchased a piano and here I am!

My main goal in playing is to keep my kids motivated to play. I wish I had the opportunity as a child to play, but never did. I want them to have that chance. I don't force it upon them, but I do make them practice, subtly. I figure they'll be more inclined to keep playing if they see me playing as well.

That reason aside, I'm really enjoying it! I had no music background prior to starting, so everything is new to me, but I love that kind of thing.

I figured the "Beginner's Recital" needed a few true beginner's, so I joined. Can't wait for the next one, hoping to have a rousing version of the Star Wars main theme ready by then.

As an aside, I had a chance to listen to many of the recordings this morning. I've no basis to critique, but I appreciated the musicality and effort of everything I heard. Truly an inspiration to see where everyone is at varying points along their musical journey. Nice to have some "milestones" to look forward to along the way.

Edited by corysold (02/15/14 10:25 AM)

#2231972 - 02/15/14 10:35 AM Re: Recital 33 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]
JimF Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: south florida
Think I'll start somewhere in the middle this quarter...

30. corysold - Cory Hallahan - Greensleeves Great job with the right pace and a nice musical feel for the phrases. Amazing work for only 3.5 weeks of playing experience.

31. Sand Tiger - Tracks in the Snow At 100 weeks you are showing major improvement, Sandtiger. Liked the way you returned to the main theme in your composition. And I'm sure your father was listening and smiling.

32. StevenB - Old German Dance Great job bringing out that left hand countermelody. Another quick starting beginner.....it won't be long at all till we hear that first Bach.

33. Yamaha G3 & P-80 / Mike White - Zamba No. 10 What a beautiful piece of music and equally wonderful performance. Quite sure I have never heard this before, although I found myself singing it by the end. What is its source, Mike? Nice work.

34. paul1971 - The Entertainer Boy, do we have talented beginners in this recital. Nice balance in the hands and a good steady pace. You make the syncopation in this piece look easy. thumb

35. JimF - Sung Outside A Prince's Door Ugh. Missing notes, misplaced emphasis. At least the tacos were good.

36. CASINITALY (Cheryl) - Sonatina Op 36 N2 3rd movement Cheryl, you have such a nice musical feel for these classical era pieces. It comes through very clearly in this sonatina where the mood changes a number of times. There's an awful lot of notes in this thing...I would be amazed if anyone got them all. Great job, especially given the circumstances with unneighborly neighbors. thumb

37. copper - Scenes From Childhood, The Poet Speaks What a hauntingly beautiful piece. Schumann always ties me in knots, but you made this sound easy...which I'm sure it is not. Great voicing.

38. lyricmudra - Nocturne in D-Flat Major, Op. 27 No. 2 Wow. You have absolutely nailed this fantastic nocturne. It has been ten minutes since I listened and I'm still smiling and hearing that beautiful theme. I thought your tempo was perfect. Bravo.

39. evamar - Pelagia's Song - With Sausage Fingers Remix Are you serious, evamar? That was terrific. So musical and sensitively played with excellent phrasing and a nice touch of rubato. No need to get silly at the end, this is work to be proud of.

40. BenPiano - Dahlonega Yep those are the usual super-relaxed BenPiano hands I've admired for four years. Wonderful dynamics that go perfectly with the history you've provided. What a beautiful original work. Man, the ABF sure has a lot of talented folks. wow

Estonia L190 #7284

#2231979 - 02/15/14 10:48 AM Re: Recital 33 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]
Peyton Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Maine
I'm going to jump all around with my comments but want to start with Monica.

#2. Monica- Monica, what a beautiful piece and so well played. That seems like quite a job to memorize, how long did it take? I love that opening bass. Are you usng the middle pedal to sustain it?

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... 9 10 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
8 Live Ragtime Piano Players on the Cape!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How to Regulate a Studio Upright for Greatest Sensitivity?
by Paul678
4 minutes 19 seconds ago
How do I tackle my goal.
by imustlearn
40 minutes 6 seconds ago
Advice? First digital piano for family--already own a GP
by SCD
Today at 07:58 PM
Help with my DGX-650 and Synthesia!
by Jtreimer
Today at 07:21 PM
Piano tuning career prospects 2014
by Morrisos
Today at 06:56 PM
Who's Online
132 registered (ando, anamnesis, accordeur, angga888, anotherscott, 36251, 41 invisible), 1417 Guests and 8 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76599 Members
42 Forums
158392 Topics
2325880 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission